Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Oh jesus that's the last thing we need. I doubt he'll go tbh.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave, I mean POC, DOC, MOD, DR all ahead of him. DOC is apparently undropable since he played pretty poorly all season and stays in the first XV. MOD is an aging player who isn't quite up there for a top HEC team.

Maybe he needs to go establish himself and come back as a returning hero when POC, DOC, and MOD retire

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Oh jesus that's the last thing we need. I doubt he'll go tbh.

Would you blame him? He's only just been added to the HEC squad after Munster are already out of it. He's played 5 games all season - that's an appalling record considering the impact he's shown in some of those games (AND considering POC has been out for most of the season - now that he's back where will that leave Nagle??).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Would you blame him? He's only just been added to the HEC squad after Munster are already out of it. He's played 5 games all season - that's an appalling record considering the impact he's shown in some of those games (AND considering POC has been out for most of the season - now that he's back where will that leave Nagle??).

Even worse considering he was MOTM in 3 of those games. You can't point the finger at MOD as he's been MOTM plenty of times as well. Actually it says it all when the majority of our MOTM awards have gone to second rows.

Might do Nagle no harm, O'Driscoll came back from Perpignan a better player. Though personally I'd rather lose Ryan or Holland then Nagle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can't remember the last time I was blown away by a performance from Donnacha Ryan. Nagle has been outstanding anytime he's played. I think it's important to mention Holland too, he's been very good too in Nagle's show.

With those two pushing the incumbents I don't think Ryan would be a big loss tbh. He needs regular rugby at his age and really should leave.

I can't remember the last time I was blown away by a performance from Donnacha Ryan. Nagle has been outstanding anytime he's played. I think it's important to mention Holland too, he's been very good too in Nagle's show.

With those two pushing the incumbents I don't think Ryan would be a big loss tbh. He needs regular rugby at his age and really should leave.

Donnacha Ryan has been the next big thing for the past 4 years, he's been unlucky with injury and that he has had 3 test locks ahead of him. It's hard to say if he's any good or not because he's only started ML games and had the odd cameo in the HC and for Ireland. Surely to God he'll start this weekend.

Holland is a powerhouse but is easily forgotten as he rarely makes the squads for important games. He should move to Connacht or England. He's in serious danger of becoming the next James Coughlan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anthony Foley keeps the same forward pack that battled to victory against Nottingham while making a number of changes to his backline for Friday's British & Irish Cup clash with Esher at Garryowen FC (7.30pm).

Three of those backline changes are necessitated by the call up to the senior squad for Scott Deasy Tom Gleeson and Denis Hurley with Declan Cusack named at out-half, Troy Smith replacing Gleeson in the centre and Sean Scanlon at full-back in place of Hurley. Other than that, Duncan Williams starts on this occasion ahead of Conor Murray who is named among the replacements with Simon Zebo starting on the wing having come off the bench against Nottingham last weekend.

Munster:
    Sean Scanlon; Danny Barnes, Ivan Dineen, Troy Smith, Simon Zebo; Declan Cusack, Duncan Williams;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Sean Henry, Stephen Archer; AN Other, Dave Foley; Billy Holland capt, Tommy O'Donnell, Paddy Butler.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, Peter Borlase, Dave O'Callaghan, Brian O'Hara, Conor Murray, JJ Hanrahan, Corey Hircock.

A place is left for whatever second row drops down from the senior squad, I hope it's not Ian Nagle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Hopefully JJ Hanrahan gets some gametime. He's a fantastic prospect, still only 18 afaik. Seeing him in the SC the last 2 years, you knew that he was something special. Hopefully he'll solve our lack of a creative 12, as he seems to have been moved to 12 from 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Hopefully JJ Hanrahan gets some gametime. He's a fantastic prospect, still only 18 afaik. Seeing him in the SC the last 2 years, you knew that he was something special. Hopefully he'll solve our lack of a creative 12, as he seems to have been moved to 12 from 10.

Is he fast or more of a creative player or a bit of both?

profitius wrote: »
    Is he fast or more of a creative player or a bit of both?

Never seen him at 12. But he was brilliant for making breaks at 10 when I saw him anyway.

Never seen him at 12. But he was brilliant for making breaks at 10 when I saw him anyway.

Looked good in a sometimes struggling team as well, which enhanced my opinion of him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AboveandBeyond

I am just wondering could we be seeing something like this from Munster next season?

1.Du Preez
    2.Varley
    3.Hagan
    4.O'Connell
    5.O'Callaghan
    6.Leamy
    7.McCaw
    8.Wallace
    9.Stringer
    10.O'Gara
    11.Howlett
    12.Nonu
    13.Earls
    14.Murphy
    15.Felix Jones

The players in bold being new (or newish i.e last 2 seasons) injections into starting 15. How would everyone feel about a team like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

I am just wondering could we be seeing something like this from Munster next season?

1.Du Preez
    2.Varley
    3.Hagan
    4.O'Connell
    5.O'Callaghan
    6.Leamy
    7.McCaw
    8.Wallace
    9.Stringer
    10.O'Gara
    11.Howlett
    12.Nonu
    13.Earls
    14.Murphy
    15.Felix Jones

The players in bold being new (or newish i.e last 2 seasons) injections into starting 15. How would everyone feel about a team like that?

McCaw isn't going to Munster though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Either is Hagan, he just signed a new contract with Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AboveandBeyond

conf101 wrote: »
    Either is Hagan, he just signed a new contract with Connacht
    I should clarify that none of those signings are confirmed but thats just an example. I reckon Munster will go for 2 world class signings at 12 and in the backrow and then an Irish tighthead. Can't see them going for a world class tighthead when Buckley is going to be around for awhile to be honest (I know they should but)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

From the lips of a Cork colleague: Hayes to retire after the WC, Munster are trying to get Hagan.

Hmm.. I don't believe it but maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Hagan signed a new deal with Connacht I believe?
    Despite Hayes making the Irish squad I still think Buckley will be brought in his stead with Ross starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

CouchSmart wrote: »
    From the lips of a Cork colleague: Hayes to retire after the WC, Munster are trying to get Hagan.

Hmm.. I don't believe it but maybe?

Offer about 5 players to Connacht and some players to loan to them for a season. Ronan, Gleeson, MOD, Borlase, TOL, Fogarty for keeps and loan Dave Foley, Butler, Dineen, Danny Barnes, Zebo, Dave O'Callaghan. A nice choice of players for Connacht to tempt them. :D

Being realistic, he has signed a new 2 year contract so its too late for Munster.

Hagan hasn't signed a new contract - there is an agreement though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Being realistic, he has signed a new 2 year contract so its too late for Munster.
    Connacht announced a new contract but none existed. There was a column about it in todays Indo

there is a link to the article here
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-keen-to-stave-off-english-bid-for-prop-hagan-2505523.html

I seem to remember Warwick signing a new contract with LIrish that went to pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Can contracts not be bought out?

Anyway, hearing the match-day squad for tomorrow's game, I am actually starting to believe Nagle should leave. Forget about Kidney out, I want McGahan OUT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I seem to remember Warwick signing a new contract with LIrish that went to pot.

If there's any one with any sense in the MB or IRFU they'll recognise Munster will win nothing with Hayes or Buckley playing.

I imagine Hagan's probably getting the same pressure to move to Munster as Cronin is to move to Leinster. Both players might prefer to stay in Connacht but the IRFU are the guys who pay the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Hagan is going nowhere. He'll stay at Connacht.

Only way he'll go is if he's pushed to Munster by the IRFU but they're unlikley to offer him a central contract so therefore they aren't really in a postition to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hagan is going nowhere. He'll stay at Connacht.

Only way he'll go is if he's pushed to Munster by the IRFU but they're unlikley to offer him a central contract so therefore they aren't really in a postition to do that.

Tbh, I hope he does, we've (Munster) too many Leinster players already (Ronan, Dowling, J. Murphy, Hurley, Jones and seemingly Keatley), you could argue some didn't come through the Leinster Academy so they don't count but i think it's time Munster sorted out their own Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

If Hagan is pushed to Munster, like Cronin is being pushed to Leinster then everything the IRFU said about helping Connacht goes straight out the window and they're a crowd of spoofers. Hagan wants to stay, if they aren't offering him a central contract then they shouldn't have a say in his future. If they start to dictate the future of our players who are on provincial contracts then we will be in for a case of musical chairs for the future and it will become farcical.

1.Du Preez
    2.Varley
    3.Hagan
    4.O'Connell
    5.O'Callaghan
    6.Leamy
    7.McCaw
    8.Wallace
    9.Stringer
    10.O'Gara
    11.Howlett
    12.Nonu
    13.Earls
    14.Murphy
    15.Felix Jones

If I was a diehard Munster supporter, I'd openly weep at that team.

Less than half the team coming through the academy, playing for years amongst each other. Promoting a Toulon-esque feeling within the side.

Horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

If I was a diehard Munster supporter, I'd openly weep at that team.

Less than half the team coming through the academy, playing for years amongst each other. Promoting a Toulon-esque feeling within the side.

Horrible

1st thing that went through my head was 'Look at all the Leinster players in that team.'

I believe that we do have some talent in the academy, it's just that they're not being played.

Leinster have been ruthless in their promotion of younger players , Ryan, Ruddock, Kearney, Madigan, O'Malley. It's extremely frustrating.

Then when we do see a young player playing very well, he's dropped and not heard of again. (Nagle) Our back row is one area where we have players coming through. The likes of Tommy O'Donnell, Billy Holland, Peter o'Mahoney (though I think he's injured now.) Then there's the likes of Darragh Hurley, playing HC a few years ago, rarely given a meaningful opportunity. If it was known we'd be signing a TH we shiouldn't have bought du Preez IMO. Paddy Butler was a part of a good back row for the under 20s last year and from what I've heard from some people was regarded by them as the best of the three. But now he's looking at those two passing him out by playing ML and even HC.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

Paddy Butler is way too light at the moment tho. His profile on Munsterrugby has him at 96Kg, which is about 10Kg too light for a modern No. 8. Ryan and Ruddock were pretty much ready built for ML/HC even last year. Both of them are 103Kg.
    Even Peter O'Mahoney, who is 22, is 98Kg. We defo seem to be late developers down in Munster in comparison to Leinster.

Reddan, Ross, Fogarty etc. \t Leinster. It's professionalism, winning comes first.

• Advertisement

theKramer wrote: »
    Paddy Butler is way too light at the moment tho. His profile on Munsterrugby has him at 96Kg, which is about 10Kg too light for a modern No. 8. Ryan and Ruddock were pretty much ready built for ML/HC even last year. Both of them are 103Kg.
    Even Peter O'Mahoney, who is 22, is 98Kg. We defo seem to be late developers down in Munster in comparison to Leinster.

Its probably a good thing in the long run really. I know a few people who destroyed themselves by putting on too much weight and completely lost any pace and skill.

I would take the stats on the Munsterrugby with a pinch of salt though, they had Danny Barnes as 5ft4 for ages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement