Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.rctoulon.com/en/news/article/rm-92-rct-edito-apres/

A mostly second string Toulon side went down 12-15 away to Racing. This was their lineup:

1 - Laurent EMMANUELLI
    2 - Sébastien BRUNO
    3 - Davit KUBRIASHVILI
    4 - Dewald SENEKAL
    5 - Kris CHESNEY
    6 - George SMITH
    7 - Joe EL ABD
    8 - Juan-Martin FERNANDEZ-LOBBE (Cap.)
    9 - Matt HENJAK (m)
    10 - Jonny WILKINSON (o)
    11 - Christian LOAMANU
    12 - Mafileo KEFU
    13 - Gabirieli LOVOBALAVU
    14 - Rory LAMONT
    15 - Rudi WULF

16 - Jean-Charles ORIOLI
    17 - Saimone TAUMOEPEAU
    18 - Dean SCHOFIELD
    19 - Joe VAN NIEKERK
    20 - Tom MAY
    21 - Benjamin LAPEYRE
    22 - Pierre MIGNONI
    23 - Mehdi MERABET

Contepomi, Hayman and Sackey didn't feature while Mignoni and Van Niekerk were benched.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

I know I asked this a while back but I was wondering if anyone had an update on Felix Jones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Last I read on Mfans he was out with the players before the Ulster game.. No update on his recovery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

some_dose wrote: »
    I know I asked this a while back but I was wondering if anyone had an update on Felix Jones?

He has warmed up with Munster in their match day warm ups for at least at their last two games, he has also being used as the waterboy, so hopefully he must be coming close to returning to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Nottingham next in the B&I cup on Friday night, wonder if this fella will be lining out against Munster???

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2TA6Bayzf9kh7HrZpFSc6R2DNN41Gz0BF9CrTEfKf9HPRxJT2Gg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

SomeFool wrote: »
    Nottingham next in the B&I cup on Friday night, wonder if this fella will be lining out against Munster???

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2TA6Bayzf9kh7HrZpFSc6R2DNN41Gz0BF9CrTEfKf9HPRxJT2Gg

Nice barometer for Ian Nagle

Wally, Hayes, Mushy and 2E2PU to (hopefully) be good to go for Sunday
    Hayes & Wallace On The Mend
    10 January 2011, 7:49 pmBy Pat Geraghty
    John Hayes and David Wallace, who both retired injured in Munster's game with Glasgow Warriors on Saturday are expected to take part in Wednesday's squad session scheduled to take place at Cork Institute of Technology (CIT).
    And further good news is that Doug Howlett who missed that game with a calf strain is also expected to train as are Tony Buckley and Sam Tuitupou who have recovered from the illness that forced them out of the squad for the Glasgow game.
    Munster train in Cork on Wednesday and Limerick on Friday and they'll depart from Shannon Airport for Toulon at 11am on Saturday morning.

Link: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/8506.php

Ah lads, I'm chomping at the bit here waiting for it! :D

Match preview is also coming along nicely!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Nice barometer for Ian Nagle
    definitely would be impressive if Nagle goes toe to toe with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Exiled2NY

Munster today named a 27 man squad for Sunday's Heineken Cup clash against Toulon.

Paul O'Connell makes a return to the Munster squad following a four week suspension after the round three Heineken Cup game against Ospreys. The squad continued their preparations with a morning training session at the Cork Institute of Technology facilities where they were joined by the Munster A squad who return to action this weekend in the British and Irish Cup.
    The Heineken Cup team will be announced at midday on Friday.
    Munster Squad: Wian Du Preez, Darragh Hurley, Tony Buckley, John Hayes, Mike Sherry, Damien Varley, Billy Holland, Donncha O’Callaghan, Paul O’Connell, Mick O’Driscoll, Donnacha Ryan, Niall Ronan, James Coughlan, Tommy O’Donnell, David Wallace, Denis Leamy, Tomas O’Leary, Peter Stringer, Scott Deasy, Ronan O’Gara, Paul Warwick, Johne Murphy, Sam Tuitupou, Keith Earls, Lifeimi Mafi, Denis Hurley, Doug Howlett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The rumours I'm hearing is that O'Connell will be thrown in from the start at the weekend. If true that would certainly be a gamble. Would Munster fans start him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Exiled2NY wrote: »
    Munster today named a 27 man squad for Sunday's Heineken Cup clash against Toulon.

Paul O'Connell makes a return to the Munster squad following a four week suspension after the round three Heineken Cup game against Ospreys. The squad continued their preparations with a morning training session at the Cork Institute of Technology facilities where they were joined by the Munster A squad who return to action this weekend in the British and Irish Cup.
    The Heineken Cup team will be announced at midday on Friday.
    Munster Squad: Wian Du Preez, Darragh Hurley, Tony Buckley, John Hayes, Mike Sherry, Damien Varley, Billy Holland, Donncha O’Callaghan, Paul O’Connell, Mick O’Driscoll, Donnacha Ryan, Niall Ronan, James Coughlan, Tommy O’Donnell, David Wallace, Denis Leamy, Tomas O’Leary, Peter Stringer, Scott Deasy, Ronan O’Gara, Paul Warwick, Johne Murphy, Sam Tuitupou, Keith Earls, Lifeimi Mafi, Denis Hurley, Doug Howlett.

Du Preez
    Varley
    Buckley... a sick buckley has to be better than hayes:(
    DOC
    POC
    6/8 Leamy Ronan
    wallace
    stringer
    rog
    hurley/murphy
    mafi
    earls
    douge
    warwick

Munster by.....8..

And to go on to hockey the life out of LI

and get to the final.. blowing the saints and leinster out of it... or get leinster to blow out the frogs and set up a nice final.. either way im happy:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭twinytwo

The rumours I'm hearing is that O'Connell will be thrown in from the start at the weekend. If true that would certainly be a gamble. Would Munster fans start him?

if we want to win we need him in from the start.. with the scrum the way it is we need our lineout. If we dont get a good start there could be no coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Would Munster fans start him?

The heart would love to see him start and blow Toulon out of the water...

however, my head thinks this is stupid. Give him a bench spot and also have Ryan there [in case of an early injury] then introduce Paulie with 30 minutes to go to finish the game.

In a word yes.

I'd either start him or not have in on the bench, cant see the point of having him on the bench if the view is he's not ready for the game..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Sorry to say but it doesn't matter if POC lasts 1 minute or the 80, unless Toulon don't turn up we have no chance. Imo it's been a year too long for a number of the players, and not just from the age prospective. They doesn't seem to be a hunger any more, hopefully the management will freshen things up next season if they are still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

omerin wrote: »
    Sorry to say but it doesn't matter if POC lasts 1 minute or the 80, unless Toulon don't turn up we have no chance. Imo it's been a year too long for a number of the players, and not just from the age prospective. They doesn't seem to be a hunger any more, hopefully the management will freshen things up next season if they are still there.

Think there's something in that.

Remember when the Clare All Ireland team really fell apart, it's average was still quite young, only 28 or something. Obviously Clare didn't have the underage system a team like Kilkenny has so they've gone back into the doldrums (some great players coming through now though).

Munster need to be very careful that we don't stick too long with a team that's good but not good enough and when they retire we're left with no one.

Obviously guys like Nagle etc are good signs but we need to find a way to get them into the team.

IMO Paulie must start. We need every single ounce of leadership and drive on Sunday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Be interesting to see Munster's approach to the rest of the season if (and likely when) they don't qualify for the knock-outs. They seriously need to get some fresh blood into the team. It can't have been good for any of the players to have so many positions almost set in stone for so long. Far too many promising players have fallen by the wayside because they didn't get a proper chance in the team.

I'd be amazed if POC doesn't start. I think it's something of a desperation move though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Be interesting to see Munster's approach to the rest of the season if (and likely when) they don't qualify for the knock-outs. They seriously need to get some fresh blood into the team. It can't have been good for any of the players to have so many positions almost set in stone for so long. Far too many promising players have fallen by the wayside because they didn't get a proper chance in the team.

I'd be amazed if POC doesn't start. I think it's something of a desperation move though.

Meh, desperation if it doesn't work, inspiring if it does. We're only going to know with hindsight. I think Munster will lose regardless.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    The heart would love to see him start and blow Toulon out of the water...

however, my head thinks this is stupid. Give him a bench spot and also have Ryan there [in case of an early injury] then introduce Paulie with 30 minutes to go to finish the game.

I'm a fan of Ryan's. I think he was very much under-utilised during POC's absence.

I'd be flabbergasted if O'Connell doesn't start tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Munster need to be very careful that we don't stick too long with a team that's good but not good enough and when they retire we're left with no one.

Thats why they're on the decline now. Theres a squad full of good players but many of those are not of the highest standard. The younger players are potentially of a high standard but they're being blocked from getting games.

I'm a fan of Ryan's. I think he was very much under-utilised during POC's absence.

Was Ryan not injured for some of O'Connell's absence?

phog wrote: »
    Was Ryan not injured for some of O'Connell's absence?
    He was, but I think he was underutilised while he was fit.

He seemed to pay a big price for the London Irish performance, when there were plenty of others who were also below par.

He was, but I think he was underutilised while he was fit.

He seemed to pay a big price for the London Irish performance, when there were plenty of others who were also below par.

but Micko has hardly let us down when standing in for Paulie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Mick is a super player and has never let the province down! I'd be absolutely amazed if POC starts ahead of him!! Regardless of ability or who he is POC just hasnt enough game time to start he'll def be an impact sub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

DOC will have to start becasue I don't feel POC or MOD are able to play a full 80mins at this level. MOD has really stepped up in POC's absense, but I feel that Paulie should start.

The biggest selection issues are:
    -Coughlan or Ryan: Coughlan has been brilliant but Ryan offers us another LO option.
    -TOL or Stringer: Neither has been in good form recently. Stringer missed his chance at the 9 jersey with poor displays in his last 2 games. TOL to start and bring on Strings with ~25 to go for me.
    -Hurley or J.Murphy: Hurley is in great form and Murphy has lost his early season sparkle. Hurley for me.
    -Mafi or Sammy: Mafi has impressed in recent weeks and is a bigger threat with ball in hand. Mafi for me, but Earls needs a player like Warwick/Deasy inside him to be his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

-Mafi or Sammy: Mafi has impressed in recent weeks and is a bigger threat with ball in hand. Mafi for me, but Earls needs a player like Warwick/Deasy inside him to be his best.

On this point there's been a bit of talk of Munster signing Nonu here. If they were to sign someone to play at inside cenre would they not be better off going for a Giteau/Barnes type player? Especially if Keatley is to be ROG's successor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

On this point there's been a bit of talk of Munster signing Nonu here. If they were to sign someone to play at inside cenre would they not be better off going for a Giteau/Barnes type player? Especially if Keatley is to be ROG's successor.

I understand the where you are coming from but Nonu's game is so complete that he can play the distributional 12 as well as the crashball one. He has the most rounded game of any 12 and is a lot more than the crashball player he used to be.

That said, I would rather that we at least try and find a homegrown 12.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement