Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Please tell me you dont buy into George Hooks's nonsense theory that the scrum was better because POC wasn't playing?

Sorry for a bit of a delay in the response.

No, I'm not Hooky Jr(please God!). I actually had a go at him politely on Twitter for his crazy prediction and was right except for Brock leaving 25 points on the floor.

I think the Munster unit is better organised now, obviously the fruit of a lot of hard labour on the training ground. I am sure POC would be a part of that if he played, not a cause of the problem but he does need to find form.

He will obviously get every chance to prove himself in the Magners but he has carried poor form for quite a while and I would like to see that improve before he is an automatic inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

The hook theory on POC and the scrum is patent nonsense. What about all the games POC didn't play and the scrum still wasn't right?
    Must be that new coach.
    Or maybe you CAN teach an old bull new tricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Any news on Stringer? Is he staying or leaving?

Wouldn't surprise me if he went tbh. Duncan Williams or Conor Murray are good enough to deputise for TOL.

My 1000th post and where better than here!!

As a Munster fan and a Stringer fan I actually hope he moves on this season, it's the only way he'll get back into contention for the Irish #9 while he has a chance. Since Kidney left, Strings has been totally underutilised and instead TOL has box kicked his way to notoriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Hurley, Earls and Murphy are out, along with Dougie and Dowling who are definite absentees, then we are left with:

Deasy
    Barnes
    Riordan
    Mafi?

We could do with a fit Felix Jones right about now. :(

Word on MFs is Jeremy Manning's contract has not been renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

athtrasna wrote: »

As a Munster fan and a Stringer fan I actually hope he moves on this season, it's the only way he'll get back into contention for the Irish #9 while he has a chance. Since Kidney left, Strings has been totally underutilised and instead TOL has box kicked his way to notoriety.

Let's not forget that Kidney was the man to bench Stringer in the first place, Stringer and Irish no. 9 are no longer compatible I'm afraid.
    Personally I would be surprised to see him go. Where would he go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

athtrasna wrote: »

ROG made a comment on Sky after the match last Saturday that nowadays, the scrum half has taken over the kicking responsibility from the outhalf. Strings box kicking was never great and O'Leary has improved a lot. There were times over the last year that I couldn't understand why O'Leary didn't let O'Gara do the clearing, now I realise they were trying to improve O'Leary's kicking by giving him plenty of practice.

I think Strings should move on - Connacht would have been a good option except they are fine for a SH. Ulster could do with a decent SH, but they would need to get a decent outhalf as well to make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

Really??
    Do you have a link for that?? Can't find it anywhere!!
    Where will he head to?

Ms.Cosmo wrote: »
    Really??
    Do you have a link for that?? Can't find it anywhere!!
    Where will he head to?

http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22153&PN=1&TPN=7

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Ms.Cosmo

Thanks thomond.

It's a pity :( I know he has had injuries and that, but given the chance he could have gone far.
    Really really nice guy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

subfreq wrote: »
    Sorry for a bit of a delay in the response.

No, I'm not Hooky Jr(please God!). I actually had a go at him politely on Twitter for his crazy prediction and was right except for Brock leaving 25 points on the floor.

I think the Munster unit is better organised now, obviously the fruit of a lot of hard labour on the training ground. I am sure POC would be a part of that if he played, not a cause of the problem but he does need to find form.

He will obviously get every chance to prove himself in the Magners but he has carried poor form for quite a while and I would like to see that improve before he is an automatic inclusion.

I think the fact that Horan/Flannery/Hayes are all match fit/suspension free and have trained as a unit probably for the first time this season helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Maybe Declan Cusack is seen as having more potential.

Good to see Quinn-McDonagh (out half) had a good game for the Irish U19's, scoring all their points. JJ Hanrahan is another promising young outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

profitius wrote: »
    Maybe Declan Cusack is seen as having more potential.

Good to see Quinn-McDonagh (out half) had a good game for the Irish U19's, scoring all their points. JJ Hanrahan is another promising young outhalf.

Mannings been what fully contracted for at least 5 years now. I know he's been unlucky with injuries but he's just not the full package. It was a pity he picked up an injury early in the season as he was looking decent in the pre season.

Where do people see Deasy playing. I think he could be a very useful 12.

Mannings been what fully contracted for at least 5 years now. I know he's been unlucky with injuries but he's just not the full package. It was a pity he picked up an injury early in the season as he was looking decent in the pre season.

Where do people see Deasy playing. I think he could be a very useful 12.

I think he could be a decent 12 and will get gametime if Munster don't sign an NIQ there.

TBH if Felix Jones wasn't injured, we wouldn't have seen him in a Munster jersey much this season. He's taken his opportunity wih both hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Seems we get two games for the price of one the weekend after next.

Saturday April 24th Thomond Park

British and Irish Cup Semi-Final: Munster v Ulster, ko 3.30pm
    Magners League Round 17: Munster v Ospreys, ko 6.30pm

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7432.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Might make my way up to Limerick for that.
    Don't normaly travel to Thomond for Magners games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Quinlan to stay with Munster. Rumoured move to Connacht not going to happen apparently....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/quinlan-staying-with-munster-as-proposed-connacht-move-falls-through-2140437.html

toomevara wrote: »
    Quinlan to stay with Munster. Rumoured move to Connacht not going to happen apparently....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/quinlan-staying-with-munster-as-proposed-connacht-move-falls-through-2140437.html

:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Shame, would have been a good move for all concerned I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Munster are going to be looking at Hayes, Wallace and Quinlan all retiring around the same time, with Horan and Flannery not too far behind.
    Hopefully next season some young guns come through.

According to munsterfans, Paul O'Connell & Emily had a baby son last night.

Fairplay Emily on the timing - and not the night before our semi-final clash with Biarritz. Think ROG's wife gave birth the morning after a game with Clermont - no wonder his kicking was a bit off.

Congrats to the proud parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

bamboozle wrote: »
    Munster are going to be looking at Hayes, Wallace and Quinlan all retiring around the same time, with Horan and Flannery not too far behind.

Basically we need almost an entire pack!! Do we have quality forwards coming through are will we have to go on the market? Front row is a particular problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

bamboozle wrote: »
    The Bull is 36. He'll get one more season and then will probably retire off the back of the World Cup.
    Quinlan is 35. He has another two seasons easily. Injuries is his main problem. Hasn't as much gametime as others his age with the injuries (and suspensions) he has clocked up.
    Wallace is 33. Could very well go on for another 3 seasons. One of the fittest players on the panel.
    Horan is 32. That health scare he had would be a concern but if that turns out to be ok in the medium term there is no reason he can't get another couple of seasons.
    Fla is 31. He shows no signs of slowing down. The man is the best hooker in the country by a long way so fingers crossed he can stay injury free. Another 4/5 seasons easily.

I think you are being way too optimistic there. I think if we get another season out of Hayes and Quinlan we would be doing well. Wallace and Horan 2at most, Flannery 2/3.
    After that some of them may still be around but surely as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Aidric wrote: »
    The Bull is 36. He'll get one more season and then will probably retire off the back of the World Cup.
    Quinlan is 35. He has another two seasons easily. Injuries is his main problem. Hasn't as much gametime as others his age with the injuries (and suspensions) he has clocked up.
    Wallace is 33. Could very well go on for another 3 seasons. One of the fittest players on the panel.
    Horan is 32. That health scare he had would be a concern but if that turns out to be ok in the medium term there is no reason he can't get another couple of seasons.
    Fla is 31. He shows no signs of slowing down. The man is the best hooker in the country by a long way so fingers crossed he can stay injury free. Another 4/5 seasons easily.

all the niggles flannery is picking up i'd say he's 2 more seasons at top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Irish players don't play as many games as French or English so they should last longer.

One benefit with niggly injuries is that the player isn't playing so less mileage.

Quinlan and Hayes will retire after next season I reckon. Although if they're playing brilliantly they might carry on for another year as backup to the younger players.

Red Army recruitment drive here :D Nice illustrations.

http://www.mrsc.ie/red_army_recruiting.aspx

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Its really recruiting for the associate supports club.

• Advertisement

Any word on Williams and Biuckley's injuries from Sunday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement