Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Fla is writing a column for this new Irish website. In this installment he talks about the Connacht game and the Hardy Bucks.

http://www.joe.ie/1/story/training-with-the-hardy-bucks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Aidric wrote: »
    Fla is writing a column for this new Irish website. In this installment he talks about the Connacht game and the Hardy Bucks.

Thats not a bad site thanks for posting the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Ha, I'd never heard of that site before you posted the link and then when I was reading Fla's blog I heard an ad for it on the radio. Random!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Riki Flutey's returning to Wasps after a less than successful stint at Brive...thus ending any Munster Speculation:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/21/riki-flutey-wasps-brive-return

Though it may be a case of Frying-pan to fire with reports in the English media today (denied by Wasps) that the London club are facing a winding-up order for non-payment of a £1 million pound tax bill.

toomevara wrote: »
    Riki Flutey's returning to Wasps after a less than successful stint at Brive...thus ending any Munster Speculation:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/21/riki-flutey-wasps-brive-return

Though it may be a case of Frying-pan to fire with reports in the English media today (denied by Wasps) that the London club are facing a winding-up order for non-payment of a £1 million pound tax bill.

The ultimate rugby mercenary moves to join club full of mercenaries, which is then threatened with closure for being too mercenary.

Oh the delicious irony

• Advertisement

The ultimate rugby mercenary moves to join club full of mercenaries, which is then threatened with closure for being too mercenary.

Oh the delicious irony

Lol, Saucer of milk please....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

..and Wasps have to pay the last year of his contract: £400,000.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

He's played 5 games for Brive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Speaking of transfers, is Johne Murphy's move to Munster 100% confirmed?

Thank God Flutey is going back to wasps and away from us.

Edit: Answered my own question :D
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2010/0201/1224263566547.html

Speaking of transfers, is Johne Murphy's move to Munster 100% confirmed?

Thank God Flutey is going back to wasps and away from us.

Edit: Answered mu own question :D
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2010/0201/1224263566547.html

Who would you fancy instead? I think one of Deasy and Gleeson will be a regular starter at centre for Munster but next season is a bit too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Who would you fancy instead? I think one of Deasy and Gleeson will be a regular starter at centre for Munster but next season is a bit too soon.

Gleeson is a solid player but offers little in attack. Deasy has plenty of potential and the right attitude to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Aidric wrote: »

Really good article about Ireland's propping prospects from Emmet Byrne, Ginger Mcloughlin and Poppewell.

dromdrom wrote: »
    Really good article about Ireland's propping prospects from Emmet Byrne, Ginger Mcloughlin and Poppewell.

Sorry where is that article?

Looking Increasingly like Munster will be travelling to Biarritz without O'Connell, though the news on Earls looks good.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/oconnell-a-major-doubt-for-biarritz-but-earls-winning-fitness-race-2149449.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Earls is more important to Munster than POC IMO. That isn't to say we won't miss POC, but Earls gives a cutting edge that was notable in its absence against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I am not as worried as I usually am when I hear POC won't be available for a big game. MOD has been playing very well recently in the lineout and scrum. In fact, even if POC was available next week, I'm not sure I'd change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Munster seem to be doing well enough, O'Driscoll has been very solid, without POC past few weeks, got away with it against Connacht anyway, but surely his leadership presence on the pitch would be felt in a massive HCup match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

andrewdcs wrote: »
    Munster seem to be doing well enough, O'Driscoll has been very solid, without POC past few weeks, got away with it against Connacht anyway, but surely his leadership presence on the pitch would be felt in a massive HCup match?

If Mick O'Driscoll was a few years younger people would be screaming for him to start for Ireland on the back of his performances this season.
    In fact, and I'm putting my neck out here, I think Munster actually benefit from starting O'Driscoll ahead of O'Connell, I think hes playing a lot better than O'Connell has this season.

Earls is a huge loss but if were honest this Biarritz team is very poor and are more or less of Northamptons level so a heavyweight like Munster should take this one comfortably. Don't want to jinx it but I'll eat my hat if Munster aren't in the final. Whoever wins Toulouse v Leinster will win it... And Leinster aren't going to beat Toulouse. No way in hell. In fact, and I don't want to offend Leinster fans, Leinster are going to be systematically demolished by that Toulouse team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

TheTMO wrote: »
    In fact, and I'm putting my neck out here, I think Munster actually benefit from starting O'Driscoll ahead of O'Connell, I think hes playing a lot better than O'Connell has this season.

I actually agree with you here, Micko has been immense this season. He seems alot more effective carrying aswell.
    Whoever wins Toulouse v Leinster will win it... And Leinster aren't going to beat Toulouse. No way in hell. In fact, and I don't want to offend Leinster fans, Leinster are going to be systematically demolished by that Toulouse team.

Dont know about that though, I think it'll be a tough/close game. Leinster are definitely up against it, but they are more than cabable.

Also, We most definitely need earls for the semi, I agree, his cutting edge is crucial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

andrewdcs wrote: »

Mick O'Driscoll has the most leadership presence of any other player in Ireland in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

If Mick O'Driscoll was a few years younger people would be screaming for him to start for Ireland on the back of his performances this season.

Earls is a huge loss but if were honest this Biarritz team is very poor and are more or less of Northamptons level so a heavyweight like Munster should take this one comfortably. Don't want to jinx it but I'll eat my hat if Munster aren't in the final. Whoever wins Toulouse v Leinster will win it... And Leinster aren't going to beat Toulouse. No way in hell. In fact, and I don't want to offend Leinster fans, Leinster are going to be systematically demolished by that Toulouse team.

Yes Mick has been his old reliable self but missing an inspirational leader like O Connell is a big blow. Let's not forget we are talking about our Lions captain and even though the form is patchy he usually pulls it out of the top drawer for games like this.
    To say that the Biarritz team is very poor like Northampton is wrong on both counts. The Saints tested Munster this year in 3 highly charged frantic encounters, this is a team that have won a Challenge and Powergen cup this year. They are a quality outfit who deserve respect and could win the GP to boot. If you were at any of those games you would have seen how good a side Munster had to overcome.
    Biarritz though not in the French playoffs have had a mixed season where they were top in France for a few weeks before slipping but have rebounded in form and at home (almost) will be very hard to beat.
    And btw i haven't seen Leinster systemically demolished in a big game in a long time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It's hard to know who Munster would miss more, but I think it would be Earls. The Munster backline just seems to be a bit one-paced without him there and I think Munster really need to take on Biarritz and play a lot of rugby. MOD is playing well and and I think it's the kind of game where POC won't necessarily be missed as much.

Earls is a huge loss but if were honest this Biarritz team is very poor and are more or less of Northamptons level so a heavyweight like Munster should take this one comfortably.
    Steady on. Biarritz are far from a very poor team plus they are at home. I still expect Munster to win but not comfortably.
    You have some merit in your O Connell analysis. O Driscoll is very capable of doing a job but as someone else eluded to O Connell is a key motivator in the side when the chips are down.
    Earls would be a huge loss, no doubt about that in my mind. Himself and JDV could make hay in midfield with that pace and offload game. Mafi won't offer the same threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Munster: P Warwick; T Gleeson, L Mafi, J De Villiers, S Deasy; R O'Gara capt, T O'Leary; M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; A Quinlan, D Wallace, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, J Brugnaut, B Holland, N Ronan, P Stringer, D Hurley, S Zebo

The wingers look a bit dodgy considering the Ospreys wingers.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7463.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Mick O'Driscoll is a great ML player, an average HC player and a below average International player. Biarittz are a very strong side when they put their mind to it and Leinster have almost everything Toulouse have. So in short... i dont agree with your opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

budhabob wrote: »
    Munster: P Warwick; T Gleeson, L Mafi, J De Villiers, S Deasy; R O'Gara capt, T O'Leary; M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, M O'Driscoll; A Quinlan, D Wallace, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, J Brugnaut, B Holland, N Ronan, P Stringer, D Hurley, S Zebo

It mentions that Buckley is injured. Is he expected to be back for the Biarritz game?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

budhabob wrote: »

Nice to see Hurley back, I'd expect him to come on around half-time.
    Only 1 replacement prop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Ospreys team:
    15 Lee Byrne
    14 Tommy Bowe
    13 Andrew Bishop
    12 James Hook
    11 Shane Williams
    10 Dan Biggar
    9 Mike Phillips

1 Paul James
    2 Huw Bennett
    3 Adam Jones
    4 Ian Gough
    5 Jonathan Thomas
    6 Jerry Collins
    7 Marty Holah
    8 Ryan Jones (Capt)

Replacements:
    16 Ed Shervington
    17 Ryan Bevington
    18 Alun Wyn Jones
    19 Filo Tiatia
    20 Jamie Nutbrown
    21 Sonny Parker
    22 Nikki Walker

Thats a really strong Ospreys side. Its going to be a tough day out.

• Advertisement

chupacabra wrote: »
    Its going to be a tough day out.
    Has the makings of a cracking game. Hope conditions stay relatively dry for running rugby.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement