Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to keep a horse?

Options
  • 07-04-2010 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

I have a 2 acre field and some shelter. I was thinking of getting a 15hh horse. Im not going to be doing any shows or competitions, i just want to have it to ride a few times a week.

What would be the best feed ? Would i be able to keep it on just grass and hay?

Whats the cheapest way of having a horse?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

>>> Also to add to that post.

I heard people can get ex racehorses for little or nothing as most of them are going to be put down.

I would love to take one of these.

Does anyone know where i could get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

not that I'm an expert but I have a 14.2hh native pony (Connemara cross)

Stabled over winter and has 2/3 of a net of hay in the morning and a full net of hay at night, scoop of cool & cooked in the evening and is out on the field 8 hours a day (sparse grazing....) and has maintained his condition throughout the winter since I got him in Dec.

I think it depends on the animal tbh - if you're lucky to get an easy-keeper you're laughing.

I reckon an ex-racehorse would eat loads. Would a pony be a better bet ??

Actually yeah , your prob right. I dont mind as long as he's nice :) We'll see what happens! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hi OP. To be honest, TBs are prone to disease and injury so if you're looking for a cheap horse, I wouldn't think they would be your best option. Plus you may need to reschool them and this may cost if you can't do it yourself (remember, most were only taught to go as fast as they can once someone is on them). Also as said above, they do eat loads to maintain their weight. I would go for a native or tough breed such as a Connamara or Irish Draught if you're looking for something bigger. Horse prices have dropped considerably.

I would be fine on a bit of silage or hay everyday in the field. There isn't a lot of growth these days. Also, if you are riding it, you would need a bit of hard feed. The amount depends on the horse, it's size and the amount of work you are doing. Price around for this.

Hope that helps a bit

It certainly did. Thanks a million for the reply :) I dont have friends who are into horses at all so any advice is brilliant :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Mariilyn

you have to think about 2 horses, not just a single one!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

An ex-racehorse really doesn't sound suitable for you. It's hard to keep condition on TBs, they usually need reschooling, which needs experience, and they generally need plenty of exercise, so wouldn't be suitable for just gentle hacking.

Have you much riding experience OP? You could look into getting an older horse stepping down from more intense work. They might need a bit more feed and looking after, but they would mind you when you ride them!

You will probably need to give hard feed over the winter even if the horse is not in work, just to keep condition on. We've a pony who is the best doer in the world and we were still feeding her all over this winter as it was so tough (she's out full time).

I agree with the native breeds suggestions, or a chunky piebald type.

But please, do your research, taking on a horse is not something to be taken lightly and there really is no 'cheap' way to do it. They can be money pits!

Ah yeah, i have been riding for 10 years so im not a beginner. I have been waiting years to get a horse so i have thought about it a lot.

How much would hard feed cost a week?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mariilyn wrote: »
    you have to think about 2 horses, not just a single one!
    ;)

Or a donkey/sheep/comapnionary ferret?

Marliyn? 2 Horses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

Two horses for companionship...

you don't really have the room for 2 and its not really necessary as long as you don't abandon the horse alltogether (I used to have a horse that was great friends with the next door neighbours dog, but hated his field mate).

You probably need to consider whether you have any access to alternative grazing for a couple of weeks a year or whether you can divide up the land as constant grazing on a small field can result in 'horse sick' land. (Long weeds + dung in certain areas while other areas are grazed bare)

Should be ok with grazing over the summer but would need hay/haylage for winter (+- hard feed depending on horse & workload)

Would echo comments from the rest of the posters. TB's may be cheap at the moment, but they take a considerable amount of care and experience to look after on an ongoing basis. You would be better with a cob-type if you are looking for relitavely low maintenance.

I think that the BHS (?) do a horse owners certificate - it might be worth you having a look at this. It's a big step going from riding a horse to owning one - but its very rewarding!

Good luck!

yes i am looking forward to it. i have lots of animals so im looking forward to an addition. yeah i have a 4 acre field about 2kms dont the road also to use if needs be.

I think a nice cob is for me :)

Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

If you have been riding for 10 years, but have never had a horse and don't have any horsey friends, I would recommend that you go to your riding centre and get some horse care lessons rather than just riding lessons, before you invest. As has been said above, horses can be money pits and whatever type you go for you can still end up ploughing way more money than you expect into them.

Definitely wouldn't recommend an ex racer for all the reasons given above. You really need to know what you are doing with these.

To be brutally honest, I would be slightly worried that all you are concerned about is the cost - horses are NOT cheap - at all. You have to be prepared to put the money in if neccessary - there are way too many horses being badly cared for and neglected in this country at the moment because of people buying them and then realising they can't afford to keep them or just don't know any better.
    Sorry, I don't mean to be negative, but if you are looking at taking on an animal, you should be properly prepared to care for it correctly FIRST, not learn as you go along.

napoles- thanks for your advice. I have had an ex race horse on loan for 5 months already so i know how to look after a horse. In these economic times everyone is looking for the cheapest option. This does not mean that the horses welfare is being neglected in any way. I was clearly only looking for peoples ideas and suggestions to compare with my own. Im not an idiot!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you are an idiot JajaD, but you should appreciate that the advice is given in good faith to ensure that you know what you are getting yourself into and that you or any horse that you get would not end up suffering due to being ill prepared. From what you said initiallly it came across that you had never had a horse before.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just to echo what shanagarry said, you have never really said that you had any previous experience of owning a horse and also in your other thread about riding school horses you did say:
    JajaD wrote: »
    I just want a horse to keep at home as a past time. Ive always wanted one after years of lessons so i have decided to get one this year. I wouldnt be competing with it or anything. Cool, thanks for your help.

Janine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

JajaD wrote: »
    napoles- thanks for your advice. I have had an ex race horse on loan for 5 months already so i know how to look after a horse. In these economic times everyone is looking for the cheapest option. This does not mean that the horses welfare is being neglected in any way. I was clearly only looking for peoples ideas and suggestions to compare with my own. Im not an idiot!
    But surely if you have had an ex racehorse on loan for the last 5 months you should have a good idea yourself of something basic like how much hard feed will cost per week and also how much hay/ haylage you would need to be feeding. If you have had him/ her for 5 months then you had him/her over the winter months where you would have had the most need for the above?

Presumably you were feeding this horse hard feed and hay/haylage over the recent very severe winter?

I'm sorry, but I'm just slightly confused?

Sorry for the confusion :) Yes i fed it and rode it everyday, but i didnt have to pay for anything so i wouldnt know the cost of anything. And the owner of the horse changed what she was giving him so i was wondering what the norm is. Sorry didnt mean to get annoyed, i jumped to conclusions, i thought he was presuming something :)

I've never owned a horse, so yep, looking forward to it! Would like it as a recreational type thing, so dunno what food would suit that type of horse, as the horse i looked after before was used at the weekend for competitions so obviously the feed id need to give to mine would be different. Just curious to see what everyone else is feeding a horse like my potential one.

Oh and i had that ex race horse on loan over last summer from march-july :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Mariilyn

lordgoat wrote: »
    Or a donkey/sheep/comapnionary ferret?

only a donkey or a hose is ok!

no other animal!
    thats animal abuse...my opinion!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse#Behavior

see?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Not necessarily, no. As you will have read in the site from which you quoted, horses are sociable and get on fine with non-equines, too. I had a pony in the past who loved being out in the field with cattle rather than in a field close to the yard where the other horses were.
    Moreover
    Many horses will become difficult to manage if they are isolated, but with training, horses can learn to accept a human as a companion, and thus be comfortable away from other horses.
    Source
    no other animal!
    cruelty to animals n. the crime of inflicting physical pain, suffering or death on an animal, usually a tame one, beyond necessity for normal discipline. It can include neglect that is so monstrous (withholding food and water) that the animal has suffered, died or been put in imminent danger of death.
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

convert wrote: »
    Not necessarily, no. As you will have read in the site from which you quoted, horses are sociable and get on fine with non-equines, too. I had a pony in the past who loved being out in the field with cattle rather than in a field close to the yard where the other horses were.

Same. I know a pony (not mine) who lives in a field with two cows and gets along fine. Also know a horse who prefers the company of a goat.

I don't see how it's cruelty. We use other animals as companions and horses can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

You could also advertise for grass livery instead of getting a companion yourself. If you have 6 acres altogether then you should have enough for 2 horses.
    Make sure you divide up the fields and rotate it, we find this is the only way we can keep fresh grass on the land. A lady that called the other day commented on how much fresh grass we have compared to other yards around that are struggling at the moment. We were lucky to be able to keep them out this winter, with a combination of hayledge and beet pulp + cooked mix to keep condition on them.
    Don't forget about the cost of farriers and shoes too, as well as possible vets fees.

thats an excellent idea.. why didnt i think of that :) thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Friskyfilly

<snip>

Mod edit: buying or selling horses is not permitted

Ya a mate would be good alright only problem is when one goes out for a spin the other may get upset!. Anyway would not let that stop you. Beet pulp, barley is very cheap and does not require as much soaking, both with a bit of course rashion 12% will keep him balanced a bit of condition and wont blow the head off him. and a good rug! most important for the TB not your average horse, do need a little more attention.

Sorry second part was for someone else. Tks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

I agree with Marylin, you need two horses in your field. Horses are herd animals and get stressed and unhappy when kept on their own. They NEED social interaction.
    In my experience, the cheapest way to keep horses is to let them loose on a large piece of land, with some hay in the winter (hard feed only necessary when you are working them, although it is a good idea to feed some mineral supplement, like a bucket lick, in the winter).
    Based on my own experience, a 14.3 Connemara x kept that way will cost about:
    Hay 200 euros. Feed twice / day in the winter.
    Hard feed (rolled oats or barley with sea weed meal added for minerals) 100 euros. Bucket licks would push the price up a bit.
    Worming 60 euros. Herbal wormers are cheaper and much better for the horse, but a lot more work.
    Hoof care (trimming) 280 euros. Shoeing would make it significantly more expensive and is completely unnecessary on native breeds kept out all day (yes, even if they are ridden on the road), but regular trimming, ideally 8 times / year is necessary. If you want to save money, you can do it yourself, you'll pay for the tools and the training in the first year, and after that, a rasp (which will last a year with 2 horses) costs about 20 euros.

The problem with horse ownership, however, is not the money, it's the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

no other animal!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse#Behavior

see?

My ex racer went out in the pasture with a Zebu for about 6 months, they both survived :pac:.

Anyway Jaja, if you want a comparison, my currently not in work TB eats more than the 3 ponies combined =O.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

skywards wrote: »
    My ex racer went out in the pasture with a Zebu for about 6 months, they both survived :pac:.
    sure, if you were kept in a room for 6 month with a dog for only companion, both of you would probably survive as well....

Advertisement