Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to keep a horse?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CG1980

Mariilyn wrote: »
    only a donkey or a hose is ok!

no other animal!

see?

Keeping horses and donkeys together isnt ideal due to the risk of lungworm.
    My vet strongly advices against it.

http://www.articlesphere.com/Article/Recognizing-a-Lungworm-in-Horses-with-a-Donkey/205491

http://www.mpequine.com/Ask_The_Vet.aspx?QUESID=107

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

chevalfou wrote: »
    In my experience, the cheapest way to keep horses is to let them loose on a large piece of land, with some hay in the winter (hard feed only necessary when you are working them, although it is a good idea to feed some mineral supplement, like a bucket lick, in the winter).

I don't agree with you on this at all. With the harsh conditions we've just experienced, and in cold (especially cold and wet) weather, horses who are kept out will need that little bit extra to give them energy and help keep them warm, regardless of breed. The quantity of feed required will depend on the weather, the available shelter, the breed and age of the horse(s) and whether or not they're good/bad doers, as well as upon the type of feed being fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

@ CG1980 This is also the case with sheep, cows and most ruminant animals.

It is, however, controllable with regular worming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

convert wrote: »
    I don't agree with you on this at all. With the harsh conditions we've just experienced, and in cold (especially cold and wet) weather, horses who are kept out will need that little bit extra to give them energy and help keep them warm, regardless of breed. The quantity of feed required will depend on the weather, the available shelter, the breed and age of the horse(s) and whether or not they're good/bad doers, as well as upon the type of feed being fed.
    Well, we'll have to agree to differ on that then. I obviously feed more hay in harsh conditions, but I still don't think that feeding grain to horses that are not at work is a good idea. It is not their natural diet. They evolved over millions of year to survive on poor pastures, in sometimes harsh conditions, and in my experience, they will be fine, even in harsh weather, if they are fed hay (in any case, the weather we had lately is a lame joke compared to an average Mongolian winter).

Advertisement