Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Riding School Horses

Options
  • 29-03-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi,

Firstly, this is not an ad for me selling any horses as i know boards.ie is not used for buying and selling anything.

I would just like to know if anyone knows where i could go about buying a horse that is from a riding school.

Any info would be greatly received!

Janine
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Quite a lot of schools have horses for sale on an ongoing basis, but most of them would not be 'school' horses per se (i.e. they wouldn't always have been used for lessons - they'd be bought with a view for sale for competitive riding). However, you could contact some of the riding schools in your area and see if they have any for sale, and what type of horses they are.

Is there a specific reason you want to buy from a riding school rather than an individual? You could also try looking at the horses advertised in the press, such as the Irish Field, the Farmers' Journal or Buy and Sell. www.donedeal.ie also have horses advertised for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

I just want a horse to keep at home as a past time. Ive always wanted one after years of lessons so i have decided to get one this year. I wouldnt be competing with it or anything. Cool, thanks for your help.

Janine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Why get a riding school horse specifically though? They wont necessarily be any quieter when in 'normal' work, if that is your reason.

I thought that they arent usually used for competitions so would be happy just to plod along with me around a field and also they might be a little cheaper. I dont want a horse that has done lots of competitions and is expensive. And also they would be used to children, which is what i would like as there will be children riding it. I am open to any horse really, just as long as its quiet and friendly. :) I am looking for a horse approx 15hh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Freckles93

I agree with you Janine :) I got my first horse ever in the summer and she was eh..not the best choice ever for me haha! I'm a novice nd my horsey is very green so we're not the best match haha!

But yeh if I were looking for a horse to start off i'd be opting for a riding school horse, although it is true that a horse will act differently away fom the lessons and all but still they would be use to hacking out and all so i think its a good idea :)

And yeh they probably will be cheaper than compettion horses so thats always good :)

I'd jst ask some riding centres they are always selling horses every now and again and they will be relatively quiet too :)

Good luck anyways :)

xx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

I'd hesitate to consider school horses being "cheaper"... if anything, they may be just as expensive because they tend to be quiet....

However, take him/her out of the riding school and they may well become a different animal (excuse the pun). A couple of riding schools I know have a collection of school horses that have been "unsuccessfully" sold and then returned loads of times. The school horses can be difficult when they're not being worked in their familiar surroundings and are often very skilled at being "difficult", especially if they judge the rider as being novice...and trust me, they are very quick to judge who they can get away with "nonsense" with..........:eek:.

Rather than look for a schoolie, why not go for a particular type, eg draught or cob... They can often be more sane and placid.

What part ofthe country are you in? Have you someone who will go along with you and give impartial and realistic advice? Make sure you get, in writing, a trial period. If the seller believes his animal is good, he wouldn't object to a trial. If the seller objects, run a mile............

Finally, don't be convinced that any partcular horse is the best you'll see. There's always a better one just a phone call away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

ADDON wrote: »
    If the seller believes his animal is good, he wouldn't object to a trial. If the seller objects, run a mile............

This isn't always the case. I wouldn't give my horse or pony on trial to anybody, having had several bad experiences in the past (pony coming back with a sore mouth, saddle sores, loss of condition, missing shoes, lame). I'm more than happy to allow someone to come and ride the horse/pony at my yard as often as they like, and they can even turn up on-spec (i.e. without a prior arrangement) but there's no way I'd give a horse on trial again. It's not that I have something to hide, I just don't want to risk unnecessasry injury or suffering to my horse.

Thats great advice addon.. thanks. I never thought of doing getting a horse on trial first. Yeah ive decided a cob would suit be best. Its just finding one now :) Im so excited! lol

I have someone who will come with me so that will help :)

Thanks for your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Yeager101

Mod edit: No buying or selling of horses allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Just to be sure you know, most riding schools will NOT sell their good reliable horses. Not unless they are going out of business. Generally when a horse or pony is being sold from an established riding school, it is because there is an issue. Either the horse has a physical issue that prevents it from doing the work a riding school horse needs to do, or it's not reliable enough somehow.

That doesn't mean you can't get a good former riding school horse. One that is too sensitive to be used for packing around beginners may be just perfect for someone else.

But just use as much caution buying a horse from a riding school as you would buying one anywhere else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement