Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best internet browser?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Mike_Hunt wrote: »
    +1 for Chrome. Great feature in Chrome is the ability to sync bookmarks across all the PC's you use it on e.g. home, work, laptop/netbook. Check the tools (spanner) menu.

A feature which is available in some form for Opera (which also syncs to your opera mini browser by the way for mobile access) and Firefox (It's called Weave). So not really a winner for Chrome over others. The service is cool though. It's like a backup for your browser which sync's at regular intervals without having to think about it. I personally use the Weave service with Firefox and plan to implement a standalone server version of the service so that I'm not sending all my data to Mozilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

How about SRWares' Iron? http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

I use it sometimes but the only problem is that extensions won't work in Private Browsing.....ahem....! But Firefox are taking a leaf out of Chromes book and they're splitting the processes between the browser and the extensions in their next update (3.6.4), as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,070 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think you'll never going to get everyone to agree on which is best. Each has their own strengths and weaknesses. While I find chrome nice and fast, some firefox plugins are more important to me, maxthon has the best tab handling for me, explorer is still the windows standard which is required for certain things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Dorsanty wrote: »
    A feature which is available in some form for Opera (which also syncs to your opera mini browser by the way for mobile access) and Firefox (It's called Weave). So not really a winner for Chrome over others. The service is cool though. It's like a backup for your browser which sync's at regular intervals without having to think about it. I personally use the Weave service with Firefox and plan to implement a standalone server version of the service so that I'm not sending all my data to Mozilla.

I use Xmarks - available for both Firefox and IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

+1 for Chrome. Great feature in Chrome is the ability to sync bookmarks across all the PC's you use it on e.g. home, work, laptop/netbook. Check the tools (spanner) menu.
    The only problem then is all your personal bookmarks on your home pc are on your work computer too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not a new feature, I've had this for 2 years on Firefox by using Xmarks (formerly called Foxmarks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

ScumLord wrote: »
    Or, or maybe they're just trying to make useful software that can customize itself to the individual user and getting big businesses to pay for it instead of you and me.
    They don't need to identify each user individually and track their movements to achieve that objective. What customization is available in Chrome that the user couldn't set themselves in preferences?

Yet another breach of dataprivacy rights that the people paid to enforce privacy legislation are doing nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

coldfire1x wrote: »
    I use Xmarks - available for both Firefox and IE.
    and Safari and Chrome according to their blurb these days.

The reason I mention Weave is that it also sync's preferences, open tabs, installed search engines, history and the all important bookmark meta data like visit count etc. This is needed to get the same 'awesome bar' experience across any two browsers so the drop down results when you start typing something will be the same no matter which one you use. Also it's cool to have visited a site in any of the sync'd browsers and to be able to search your history for it on another one. That's enough from me on Mozilla/Weave evangelism, it's just my new shiny thing that I use right now. I'm sure it will wear off.

Edit : on the main topic I also agree that there is no best browser in all situations, just one that best fits a person's needs for the tasks they do. It looks like IE9 will be a good effort from MS too, so the whole thing is wide open and it will be interesting to see what it all looks like 5 years from now.

probe wrote: »
    They don't need to identify each user individually and track their movements to achieve that objective. What customization is available in Chrome that the user couldn't set themselves in preferences?
    The point is you don't have to do anything yourself, the program adapts to you personally, that's why it has to know you individually and what you do so it can learn what you like. I don't see how it could do those things without watching what your up to. Remember it's a computer watching you not google staff, the computer doesn't care what you do, true it could be used to do nasty things but that's what laws are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ScumLord wrote: »
    The point is you don't have to do anything yourself, the program adapts to you personally, that's why it has to know you individually and what you do so it can learn what you like. I don't see how it could do those things without watching what your up to. Remember it's a computer watching you not google staff, the computer doesn't care what you do, true it could be used to do nasty things but that's what laws are for.

What Probe is giving out about (and rightly so) is that Google Chrome contacts Google.com with the details of every single link You click, which they store.

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    What Probe is giving out about (and rightly so) is that Google Chrome contacts Google.com with the details of every single link You click, which they store.
    I know that but I'm not against it. I trust google with my info it's the governments that might want to lock me up that I don't trust. Everything google do makes the internet a better place for the average user, they're not out to take advantage and like they say themselves if they do spread your info they lose they're user base as the competition for top search engine is out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nehpets10

PogMoThoin wrote: »

I can't find any information about this. What makes you think they do that?

Advertisement