Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best internet browser?

Options
  • 05-04-2010 5:47pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lately im getting windows explorer crashes and i think but am not fully sure i tracked it back to firefox.
    Lots of users on the firefox forums sem to be having issues.
    I uninstalled and went with Opera and got a blue screen error with it.
    Im currently using IE after reinstalling windows and really not sure which to use.
    Just wondering what most users are using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sheehy898

Dcully wrote: »
    Lately im getting windows explorer crashes and i think but am not fully sure i tracked it back to firefox.
    Lots of users on the firefox forums sem to be having issues.
    I uninstalled and went with Opera and got a blue screen error with it.
    Im currently using IE after reinstalling windows and really not sure which to use.
    Just wondering what most users are using?

I had a similar problem with firefox but just reinstalled and it worked fine again.But google chrome is a very good substitute if the problem persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Chrome for ease of use and simplicity. I do use firefox but only on a ubuntu operating system. Haven't used Internet Explorer in ages.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I use chrome primarily on all my machines. It's quick, it's simple and it's stable. That's all i want. Although i do use firefox the odd time for some of the addons that have yet to be ported to chrome. Haven't used IE in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nehpets10

Another vote for chrome..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks a lot folks, just installed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Chrome for ease of use and simplicity. I do use firefox but only on a ubuntu operating system. Haven't used Internet Explorer in ages.

Chrome is even nicer on linux, its even got its own 64bit native version in linux :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Moved from Firefox to Chrome and love it.

Over the last few months I've found FF to have alot of memory leaks. Got very annoying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I must say im quite liking chrome, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Had a few problems with Firefox recently, think it was caused by plugin. Better now, but still some issues. Had been using it as my favourite browser.... and it still is.. But any more hassle and I'm using Chrome.. Just dont like the way Chrome sets out the tabs and top menus.. But other than that I like it a lot.

Vote for Firefox, tenatively, for the moment. With Chrome very close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

have to say i love Chrome....
    but i just heard from a friend that they tend to track websites n such, even if you clear your browsing history/cookies etc, is that true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I only use IE when I absolutely have to some microsoft stuff won't work with Chrome.

The only extension I use with it is the mouse gestures one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Viscaria

Opera is my favourite really fast then chrome.

oops sorry didnt see that it didnt work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I've been using Internet Explorer since version 2.0. I have never had any major issues with it, and I don't think I'll ever change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

FF3.6.3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Chrome

edson wrote: »
    have to say i love Chrome....
    but i just heard from a friend that they tend to track websites n such, even if you clear your browsing history/cookies etc, is that true?

I don't think there is any proof to that. I think it stems from the fact that when you type something into the omni bar it has to go back to Google to get web suggestions. So if I type in "Smells like ", there is a drop down list. First link is to wikipedia, second is a search for "Smells like teen spirit lyrics" and third is "Smells like teen spirit tabs". These aren't from my internet history. They are suggestions from Googles search engine.

So in that sense, yes information is being sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

nehpets10 wrote: »
    I don't think there is any proof to that. I think it stems from the fact that when you type something into the omni bar it has to go back to Google to get web suggestions. So if I type in "Smells like ", there is a drop down list. First link is to wikipedia, second is a search for "Smells like teen spirit lyrics" and third is "Smells like teen spirit tabs". These aren't from my internet history. They are suggestions from Googles search engine.

So in that sense, yes information is being sent back.

I think chrome takes the suggestions from your bookmarks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

What's the story with Google not having their toolbar add-on available for their own browser??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What's the story with Google not having their toolbar add-on available for their own browser??

You do realise that all a toolbar does is redirect all Your traffic through Google.com so they can harvest the information on what links You've clicked, basically they spy on You. You add a big jump to their servers in the USA to every link you click slowing Your browsing. Toolbars are spyware and are evil, they don't do anything else

In Chrome Google search is built in, just type it in the address bar and it will search Google, You don't need a toolbar to add a function thats built in and by installing the browser You've already agreed to share information with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You do realise that all a toolbar does is redirect all Your traffic through Google.com so they can harvest the information on what links You've clicked, basically they spy on You. You add a big jump to their servers in the USA to every link you click slowing Your browsing. Toolbars are spyware and are evil, they don't do anything else

In Chrome Google search is built in, just type it in the address bar and it will search Google, You don't need a toolbar to add a function thats built in and by installing the browser You've already agreed to share information with them

I just find it handy for Google bookmarks to be honest but I'll be sure to splash holy water on the screen each and every time I use it from now on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Chrome for me... I used to swear by firefox, but it just seems to get more bloated and less responsive with every update.
    Love how quickly chrome opens, and the shifty looking guy in the corner when you open an incognito window:D

bryaner wrote: »
    I think chrome takes the suggestions from your bookmarks

http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95440

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I use Google chrome at work now. I still have firefox at home as there are a number add-ons that I use that chrome doesn't have yet. When they get ported i think i'll move over too cuz as Tman said, firefox is getting very bloated and slow and seems to crash fairly often now

I've noticed that divx crashes chrome on me allot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 disley

Try them all and see for yourself. I did and I use Chrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

Chrome

...and do not be afraid of the beta Chrome version - works great. (click the "Try the latest BETA version »" link)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Chrome is spyware. It has a serial number. It reports back all your browsing activity to G. If you use Chrome, G owns you.

Flash is spyware too (flash cookies). But with Firefox (warts and all) you can use the BetterPrivacy addon to zap nasty persistent flash cookies the millisecond they are put on your system. Even websites that don't use flash for appearances (ie glitzy pictures and videos) use flash to implant cookies that you can't delete in your browser to spy on you.

G's agenda is to know every detail about everyone on the planet. And sell the information about you to advertisers. Some of those "advertisers" have evil motives. eg Malware-ists are buying targeted google adwords and similar to take people to websites that will install their nastyware on victim's PCs. Malware is becoming very targeted. Even G was targeted by Chinese malware that was just designed to get into G's systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I'll accept the comments about Firefox getting bloated, but the crashing no. Perception is a great thing, you like shiny Chrome browser and so bad mouth the others with something no one can really prove. Leave it as Chrome is faster.

Link shows mozilla crash report events, showing Firefox 3.6 running at 30% less crashes on average.

http://lifehacker.com/5513592/firefox-36-crashes-30-less-than-35

Once Firefox gives out of process plugins to the public I reckon this will drop dramatically as well. That is due in the next bloated version ;) I do accept that other browsers are better than Firefox in various ways but I'm a big user of keyword search in Firefox/Mozilla browsers and so that'll keep me sticking with the platform for a while yet.

probe wrote: »
    Chrome is spyware. It has a serial number. It reports back all your browsing activity to G. If you use Chrome, G owns you.

Flash is spyware too (flash cookies). But with Firefox (warts and all) you can use the BetterPrivacy addon to zap nasty persistent flash cookies the millisecond they are put on your system. Even websites that don't use flash for appearances (ie glitzy pictures and videos) use flash to implant cookies that you can't delete in your browser to spy on you.

G's agenda is to know every detail about everyone on the planet. And sell the information about you to advertisers. Some of those "advertisers" have evil motives. eg Malware-ists are buying targeted google adwords and similar to take people to websites that will install their nastyware on victim's PCs. Malware is becoming very targeted. Even G was targeted by Chinese malware that was just designed to get into G's systems.
    Or, or maybe they're just trying to make useful software that can customize itself to the individual user and getting big businesses to pay for it instead of you and me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mike_Hunt

+1 for Chrome. Great feature in Chrome is the ability to sync bookmarks across all the PC's you use it on e.g. home, work, laptop/netbook. Check the tools (spanner) menu.

Advertisement