Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Plans

Options
  • 02-04-2010 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

What's everyone up to for the summer? I know it's a bit away for most people, but I'm already finished college until September! :)

I'll be working for the next five months in Galway, but I plan to get loads of other stuff done. For the past two summers, I've made a list on 43 Things, basically just a place to put your goals. I find it's a really good way of keeping track of what you want to do and it makes you more likely to follow through. My list is here, there's only 10 things on it at the moment, but I've had 43 the past few years, so I would like to fill it up. Any suggestions are welcome!

Anyway, what's everyone else up to for their summer, when Leaving Certs and college exams are eventually out of the way?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Dinosaur Jr concert, Rory Gallager Festival, Bob Dylan Festival and the Beatles Festival.

Really could do with a job, but it's unlikely I'll be able to get one.

Might try and save up for a guitar (although that'd be quite hard to do without a job) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Between working at the gaeltacht and generally being abroad for the summer (I've never actually had a birthday in Dublin!), I never really had time to just hang out with friends before, so I look forward to doing aaaabsolutely nothing this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

That sounds like a perfect summer blueprint, doing nothing! :D
    Monzo wrote: »
    Dinosaur Jr concert, Rory Gallager Festival, Bob Dylan Festival and the Beatles Festival.

Really could do with a job, but it's unlikely I'll be able to get one.

Might try and save up for a guitar (although that'd be quite hard to do without a job) as well.
    Sounds like a very musical summer! Are you staying away from the bigger festivals?

syncosised wrote: »
    Sounds like a very musical summer! Are you staying away from the bigger festivals?

Not deliberately, I just don't have the money to splash out. Neither the line-up or the "sort of crowd" of Oxegen appeals to me, and while EP does have a few bands I like I wouldn't pay 240euro to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Nothing, will probably be unemployed and inside 24/7 with the exception of the occassional trip to the pub/house party I probably won't be able to afford :(.
    The joys of living in the middle of nowhere.
    Seriously ****ing hate Wexford.

• Advertisement

I'm lucky, I've got paid placement as part of my course for the whole summer. You're in a similar course, aren't you, Pyg? Something to do with computers anyway? Do you get to do placement at all?
    Not deliberately, I just don't have the money to splash out. Neither the line-up or the "sort of crowd" of Oxegen appeals to me, and while EP does have a few bands I like I wouldn't pay 240euro to see them.
    Electric Picnic is amazing, way better than Oxegen. Overall the crowd is much more mature, and the general atmosphere is more enjoyable. All the different areas are really cool, the year before last there was one where they had loads of homemade cider. I'd highly recommend it to anyone to go at least once!

Electric Picnic is amazing, way better than Oxegen. Overall the crowd is much more mature, and the general atmosphere is more enjoyable. All the different areas are really cool, the year before last there was one where they had loads of homemade cider. I'd highly recommend it to anyone to go at least once!

Yeah I'd really like to head there at least once, I've heard the place is really relaxed and, unlike Oxegen, it is filled up with people who are actually into music and not just a massive piss up. Kicking myself I didn't go the year the Stooges, Sonic Youth and the Jesus & Mary Chain were playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Well I have my interview for art college on the 29th of April and about a week after that it's my birthday!

Then I have to get my toncils out:(

I'm going to have to find another job as I just left my old one...

Pearl Jam in June.

Cirque du Soleil in July.

Then at the end of August my friends and I are going to Turkey for two weeks! Wohoo:) (I'll basically be saving for this all summer).

The rest....prob just hang around with my friends,go out and shtuff.

(I'll be getting a day ticket for Oxegen for my birthday if Arcade Fire are playing the Friday night or the Sunday night, can't go if they headline Saturday night >.<)

Pearl Jam in June.

Gah, really want to go to that. Some website once decreed that Pearl Jam, Radiohead and Arcade Fire are the three best live bands in the world. I've already seen the other two live but I'm probably gonna have to wait another four years for PJ to come around. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Apparently I have to get a job or I won't be able to afford next year's registration fee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

You're in a similar course, aren't you, Pyg? Something to do with computers anyway? Do you get to do placement at all?

Placement isn't until 3rd year (then it's 6 months I think and counts towards the degree), so no.
    Haven't really got a chance at getting anything decent without experience, and even the likes of fast food places don't seem to have much going (which I can't say I'm entirely disappointed about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Ah, Ballyshannon. I LOVE the Rory G fest, the whole town goes to hell for 4 days. Were you there last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

The big events are Rage Against the Machine, The Tallest Man on Earth two days later and Peal Jam all in June. June will be made of serious win. I'm considering Oxegen because of Arcade Fire and Julian Casablancas. But it's terribly expensive. Same with Picnic. I really want to go, but it's most likely gonna be too expensive. We'll see.

Other than that, there's a trip to Inis Oirr planned, and also possibly a trip to Portugal with my friends because one of them has a house there, so I'm really hoping that will go ahead.

I've smaller plans as well, like making a guitar, playing with Lego and mecano. I think there are a few smaller things.

I also want to get better at guitar and the drums.

I'll be working at the weekends.
    And chilling out for the rest of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Glasto

Lots of work

Hopefully getting the fúck away if I can afford it

Electric Picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Do the Leaving Cert.
    Play lots of sports
    Get my Full driving license
    Go away somewhere
    Hopefully get a summer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Promised myself I'd get out of Dublin for at least 2 weeks. That's happening. Road trip of some description hopefully!

Working as much as I can.

Learning to code for next year, have to be able to code properly in Java or else I will not pass second year, regardless of whether I want to do CS in 3rd year or not >_<.

Reading up on Chem, UCD dont have an equivilant of schols, but I need to get a seriously good GPA in Second Year so I can try and get an internship for the summer before Third Year.

Do a bit of distance cycling.

Learn all of Ride the Lightening on guitar.

Fad wrote: »
    Learn all of Ride the Lightening on guitar.

Nothing beats a bit of Metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

unknown13 wrote: »
    Nothing beats a bit of Metallica.

On the contrary, lots of things do :p, but I love Ride The Lightening, and it has a perfect mix of songs I'd like to learn on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Make the most of it before I head for my impending doom in September.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I really want to go interrailing but I'm not sure if that'll work out with work or if I'll be around the same time as my friends

• Advertisement

The Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

The Leaving Cert.

Really? Why, thank you for pointing that out.

Really? Why, thank you for pointing that out.

Is that what you are doing

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Placement isn't until 3rd year (then it's 6 months I think and counts towards the degree), so no.
    Haven't really got a chance at getting anything decent without experience, and even the likes of fast food places don't seem to have much going (which I can't say I'm entirely disappointed about).
    I'm just finished third year now, and my placement seem pretty much the same as yours will be. Some companies do have placement opportunities for students in the summer, regardless of whether it's placement organised by your college. The college might have some information if you get on to them, though it's probably too late for this summer by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

:(

Oh god, will ya stop!

I'm going to London shopping with my Waterford besties :D
    Limerick hurling and football matches <3
    Up to Mayo for the usual trip to Castlebar and Westport.
    I was invited to my cousins rock gig again in Summer :pac:. Last time was hilariously fun. So going again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I havnt even thought about it.. :o

Im gonna make a list later of what I want to do, and then see whats realistic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Is that what you are doing
    Tis' yeah man! You're terrible at the sarcasm. :P

My summer plans is to get a job. /whatparentswanttohear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

jumpguy wrote: »

My summer plans is to get a job. /whatparentswanttohear

I got one in a swanky hotel :P

Hotaru wrote: »
    Ah, Ballyshannon. I LOVE the Rory G fest, the whole town goes to hell for 4 days. Were you there last year?

Couldn't make it last year because of the Leaving Cert (:() but I was there the year before. :) Can't wait for it this year, gonna head up the night before it actually starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I got one in a swanky hotel :P

I already got one in a swanky hotel so in yo face.

Advertisement