Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Christmas Exam Referendum

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I certainly can't pick which semester I have a "heavier load" in. I take the same amount of credits each semester. So ur point makes no sense to me.
    In some courses you can split your credits unevenly; in other courses, in my opinion, you should be able to split them unevenly. As I said it won't always be the best option but we should have the choice. The college can't hope to anticipate every student's unique circumstances which may influence their optimal study patterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    WEEEELLL....aren't you just GREAT Craguls :p:)

Why yes, yes I am.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dgator

I'm going to be studying at Trinity for a semester (August to December). Coming from a school who offers Fall, Spring and Summer semesters (though we don't have to take the Summer semester)... it's the best option.

At my school we take a course for 4 months have an exam at the end and then move on. Actually the methods to which we are tested are entirely up to the professors.

However, if someone could enlighten me, are the courses at Trinity now going to be only one semester long? As in not year long and carried over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Nothing is going to change yet anyway, definitely won't be implemented next year, maybe the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

Results are in (http://www.tcdsu.org/) and Yes won by a very large margin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Results are in (http://www.tcdsu.org/) and Yes won by a very large margin.

A turnout of 1767 has absolutely no democratic legitimacy. Yet of course it goes without saying that the likes of you will ignore this and accuse the likes of me as being semi facist agitators who dare to insult the integrity of the student political institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Denerick wrote: »
    A turnout of 1767 has absolutely no democratic legitimacy. Yet of course it goes without saying that the likes of you will ignore this and accuse the likes of me as being semi facist agitators who dare to insult the integrity of the student political institutions.

If someone really didn't want Christmas exams then why wouldn't they vote no?

Mark200 wrote: »
    If someone really didn't want Christmas exams then why wouldn't they vote no?

You miss the point. The vast majority of people are obviously indifferent to the question. A sizable portion of the electorate find the very notion of the SU holding a referundum to be galling in the extreme and hence do not bother participating in such a vainglorious indulgence in self importance. Unfortunately, it is always the tiny minority who hold a passionate obsession who dominate student politics - a lá the Coke ban.

A sizable portion of the electorate find the very notion of the SU holding a referundum to be galling in the extreme

I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.... have you talked to a "sizeable portion of the electorate"? I'd imagine that a sizeable portion decided not to vote because they knew it would be an overwhelming yes anyway.

As I said, if they strongly opposed the idea of Christmas exams then they could have voted no, instead of sitting on their hands and apparently telling you how they "find the very notion of the SU holding a referundum to be galling in the extreme"

Mark200 wrote: »
    I'd love to know how you came to that conclusion.... have you talked to a "sizeable portion of the electorate"? I'd imagine that a sizeable portion decided not to vote because they knew it would be an overwhelming yes anyway.

As I said, if they strongly opposed the idea of Christmas exams then they could have voted no, instead of sitting on their hands and apparently telling you how they "find the very notion of the SU holding a referundum to be galling in the extreme"

Why should it be the imperative of the politically indifferent to assert their opinion in a political poll organised by a group with no democratic legitimacy? We have no choice about whether we want an SU or not, and I do not assume that I am a member and that it represents my rights. The SU holding a referendum is about as valid to me as the TCD Comedy Soc. holding a referendum about which cartoon is superior (The Simpsons V South Park) That goes for most Trinity students, I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Ignoring denerick, I'm off next year, and am happy that upon my return, christmas exams will be implemented for me to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Why should it be the imperative of the politically indifferent to assert their opinion in a political poll organised by a group with no democratic legitimacy? We have no choice about whether we want an SU or not, and I do not assume that I am a member and that it represents my rights. The SU holding a referendum is about as valid to me as the TCD Comedy Soc. holding a referendum about which cartoon is superior (The Simpsons V South Park) That goes for most Trinity students, I'd imagine.

Its called DU Comedy Soc. I'm a stickler for detail. As a whole the body of work of the Simpsons has had more of a cultural impact, but for incisive and at times intelligent comedy I would suspect that South Park would win based on the theoretical demographics of this pretend referendum.

Also I welcome your input. I disagree with it, as usual but you did in fact present a semi-coherent argument rather than sensationalist drivel you previously cogged from "a quick guide to political science" books.

On your point, the SU has held a referendum, whether you think this is a good idea or not is irrelevant. You do not engage, you bitch about the Union on an internet site. Stupider ideas have been floated at SU Council and have been defeated because people stood up and disputed their legitimacy, the Union is a framework - the positions it holds on fees, exams etc are all flexible and based on the people involved. So get up, get out and disagree.

You miss the point. The vast majority of people are obviously indifferent to the question. A sizable portion of the electorate find the very notion of the SU holding a referundum to be galling in the extreme and hence do not bother participating in such a vainglorious indulgence in self importance. Unfortunately, it is always the tiny minority who hold a passionate obsession who dominate student politics - a lá the Coke ban.

aaaaaannndd just to say, the campaign to remove the Coke ban used this point as an argument in that referendum. If people didnt care, then why have a ban. It worked.

Also I welcome your input. I disagree with it, as usual but you did in fact present a semi-coherent argument rather than sensationalist drivel you previously cogged from "a quick guide to political science" books.

Are you even in TCD anymore? Do you think I care whether you think my argument is semi coherent or sensationalist? The hallmark of any political argument is its ability to evoke a response. I leave the measured, reasoned discourse to academic essays. The internet is supposed to be a hub of ideas and dissent. If you don't understand that, then you can take your priggish self importance elsewhere.

Are you even in TCD anymore? Do you think I care whether you think my argument is semi coherent or sensationalist? The hallmark of any political argument is its ability to evoke a response. I leave the measured, reasoned discourse to academic essays. The internet is supposed to be a hub of ideas and dissent. If you don't understand that, then you can take your priggish self importance elsewhere.

I think you care a great deal what people think of you Denis, hence why you sent pissy little pms to me the other day.

I think you care a great deal what people think of you Denis, hence why you sent pissy little pms to me the other day.

Maybe because I wanted to know how you could access my personal details? Maybe because you essentially threatened me? Is that so unreasonable?

Maybe because I wanted to know how you could access my personal details? Maybe because you essentially threatened me? Is that so unreasonable?

:D Sorry, my lunchbreak is over, I'm getting back to work now.

:D Sorry, my lunchbreak is over, I'm getting back to work now.

And you call me a troll. Bullybeef. Keep your e-penis off this thread.

And you call me a troll. Bullybeef. Keep your e-penis off this thread.

Child, the difference is I know what I am talking about when I speak about the Student Union, you however do not. Calm down, and disagree and argue all you want, I do not understand why you cannot be civil.

Child, the difference is I know what I am talking about when I speak about the Student Union, you however do not. Calm down, and disagree and argue all you want, I do not understand why you cannot be civil.

You are a bully and a self important prig, layered with excessive self righteousness. I never mention anyone by name (With exception to you and Higginson), I only ever slate the institution, not the man. But if you're willing to have a go at me, I'm more than happy to reciprocate.

• Advertisement

You are a bully and a self important prig, layered with excessive self righteousness.

Ironic

Advertisement