Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Union Christmas Exam Referendum

Options
  • 29-03-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi guys so I'm sure you've seen the su email that went out today about the referendum being held to hold Christmas Exams next year due to the responses of their survey claiming that students were feeling a lot of stress coming up to this exam period.

I for one will defiantly be voting for it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I can only hack one round of voting a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Surely a 'yes' or 'no' vote is not to difficult ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Boston wrote: »
    I can only hack one round of voting a year.

Sadly there's no posters for you to shoop either. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I hate the Green Party.
    Spineless gits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I will be voting yes to Christmas exams.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Typical SU populism appealing to the passionate obsessions of a tiny minority and the indifference of the overwhelming majority. Which hack was behind this iniative, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Denerick wrote: »
    Typical SU populism appealing to the passionate obsessions of a tiny minority and the indifference of the overwhelming majority. Which hack was behind this iniative, then?

I agree completely.

I'd say most ppl want Christmas exams.

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I'd say most ppl want Christmas exams.

I would say most people don't care. When will you SU political appartchiks accept that the overwhelming majority of humanity are indifferent to your base political passions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I think most will be voting a yes, as long as theyre before christmas :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I would say most people don't care. When will you SU political appartchiks accept that the overwhelming majority of humanity are indifferent to your base political passions?

Everyone I've talked to in my course wants Christmas exams. I haven't heard of anyone in my course who doesn't.

And you can't call them "SU political appartchiks" either... I think about 3 (out of ~30) voted in the SU elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I would say most people don't care.
    Sorry, gotta cut across there. Anybody Ive spoken to seems to have quite the view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

340x_custom_1242930531440_Troll_hard.jpg

I'm not in the SU and only voted in their elections cos I was more or less forced too by my mate (who was campaigning for Jenoky or someone???)

A Neurotic wrote: »
    340x_custom_1242930531440_Troll_hard.jpg

44266966_unsuccessful_troll.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

I like to bitch about the SU as much as the next guy (unless I happen to be sitting next to Denerick, he takes the biscuit) but I genuinely want Christmas exams, and within reason, will accept whatever format they can come up with over the current system. So the SU is actually working towards an achievable and relevant and truly beneficial goal? I'm pleasantly surprised.

44266966_unsuccessful_troll.jpg

Do you ever wonder why people never thank your posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

The SligoBrewer attitude to a debate: "I can't articulate an argument with my monosyllabic vocabulary of words so I'll just post this clichéd picture that I robbed from another forum. Am I cool yet guys?"

So how's first year going for you? Hopefully you and your buddies get a fresher sub-forum soon so we no longer have to suffer your childish pictures that plague this forum. You're not in the college long enough and thus not experienced enough to have an informed opinion about anything Trinity-related. Hence your undying allegiance to the SU hacks. Lurk moar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Fo Real wrote: »
    Lurk moar.
    Lol at the irony.;)

Also, yay for Xmas exams. I don't know what the SU think they can do to make the college do anything about it... Writing a strongly worded letter, as Mick McCarthy in the ad asks, never got in the way of TCD doing their own thing as it suited them. So it strikes me as being possibly pointless.

sligoboyo makes Denerick look good.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote: »
    sligoboyo makes Denerick look good.

Are you suggesting I'm ugly?

Yes.

The SligoBrewer attitude to a debate: "I can't articulate an argument with my monosyllabic vocabulary of words so I'll just post this clichéd picture that I robbed from another forum. Am I cool yet guys?"

Fair enough, this **** has just got "fo real".

We, in Trinity, are the only college, as far as I am aware to have the system of semesterisation but not modularisation in place for most courses, and to me at least it's clear that it's not working.

The change to modularisation has changed college life in Trinity. We start college later than everywhere else, but still finish earlier as well. If you're taking Business or Economics or a host of other courses you have no break from January to May bar a measly two days for Easter and a solitary day for St. Patricks Day cause of the reading week exams and that.

The system that was in place last year, seems to be to have been better than the one that we go through today. The two week break before Trinity term gave all undergrads the chance to catch up, do schols, **** off for two weeks, get drunk without the fear of labs next day,.. whatever. A break is needed by people.

And on to the Christmas exams issue, we seem to have fudged it, by taking a step sideways, and then backwards again. Any benefits there were in having the Michaelmas, Hilary and Trinity terms as separate "Terms" have been eradicated as the college year seems much more concentrated. I hear older years speaking of lecturers skipping material cause they haven't the time to cover everything.
    The benefits of moving to structured semesters have been also lost as we have all our exams at the end of the year, dragging the two semesters into one. Students should be able to look back on Michaelmas and go, "Yup, that's done and dusted now onto January", but they can't.

That's why I'll be voting Yes on April Wheneverth.

So how's first year going for you?

It's going quite well thanks very much.
    Hopefully you and your buddies get a fresher sub-forum soon so we no longer have to suffer your childish pictures that plague this forum. You're not in the college long enough and thus not experienced enough to have an informed opinion about anything Trinity-related.

I'm not entitled to an opinion basically is what you are saying. :confused:
    Hence your undying allegiance to the SU hacks. Lurk moar.

Ha. Not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Everyone I've spoken to thinks that Christmas exams is the better idea.

Incidentally I'm in final year and really do not like the fact that we have a 4 month gap between finishing a course and doing the exams for them.

Though - I heard from the law school that one reason we don't have Christmas exams was that the SU lobbied to have them all in summer? :/ Many professors are unhappy about the current situation too.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Everyone I've spoken to thinks that Christmas exams is the better idea.

Incidentally I'm in final year and really do not like the fact that we have a 4 month gap between finishing a course and doing the exams for them.

Though - I heard from the law school that one reason we don't have Christmas exams was that the SU lobbied to have them all in summer? :/Many professors are unhappy about the current situation too.

ye one of my TA's was saying the same thing. She was basically saying a lot of the Lecturers were really unhappy the way the year is set out.

Would it be possible to change it by next year? Or are we looking at 3rd year as the earliest possible time?

@ SligoBrewer: Again, this is your first year in college. You can't compare this year's structure to last year's. You don't know any different.

Why don't you just "get wasted" in Spy and live the college lifestyle that the SU is selling to you. Junior Freshmen are the only people that go to these shítty club nights promoted by the SU, lining the pockets of the ents officer.

@ SligoBrewer: Again, this is your first year in college. You can't compare this year's structure to last year's. You don't know any different.

Why don't you just "get wasted" in Spy and live the college lifestyle that the SU is selling to you. Junior Freshmen are the only people that go to these shítty club nights promoted by the SU, lining the pockets of the ents officer.

I hate €nt$.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I am a final year student - having studied in 3 different universities and 3 different exam systems and I have to say that the current one we have seems illogical at best and dangerous at worst.

To quote your signature:
    "if this subject is a little too personal and evocative for you to discuss maturely perhaps you should reconsider contributing."

Thanks for that contribution ThirdFox. Having studied in three different universites, your opinion holds some weight. I personally have no problem with this year's structure. I feel like I'm well prepared for exams.

I wasn't getting emotional in my previous post. That would be asinine and would be counter-productive to discussion. Although this poster clearly is:
    I hate €nt$.

Again showing his inability to articulate himself. It must be frustrating not being able to communciate with the outside world. Perhaps you should just revert back to posting childish pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Although this poster clearly is.....

....Again showing his inability to articulate himself. It must be frustrating not being able to communciate with the outside world. Perhaps you should just revert back to posting childish pictures?
    To be fair, your just attacking the poster, not the point. Just because SligoBrewer or myself are only in first year, doesnt mean we havent found the year tough. Sure enough, we've nothing to compare it to, but people can still recognise unnecessary stress/workload when exposed to it.

Advertisement