Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 + Mobile Broadband (Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,141 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I've tried all I know how to do :(. I've tried disabling the firewall (which was actually down all along). I've allowed internet connection sharing.
    Whenever I try to connect I just get the ''failure to obtain ip address'' message.
    I even watched a youtube video explaining it, still no luck! Spent the best part of two hours at it tonight, reading the stuff on here too, so frustrating.
    Think I'll contact 3 or PS3 to see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

J. Marston wrote: »
    I've tried all I know how to do :(. I've tried disabling the firewall (which was actually down all along). I've allowed internet connection sharing.
    Whenever I try to connect I just get the ''failure to obtain ip address'' message.
    I even watched a youtube video explaining it, still no luck! Spent the best part of two hours at it tonight, reading the stuff on here too, so frustrating.
    Think I'll contact 3 or PS3 to see if they can help.

Right dude . Dont fret . Did you try setting the ip address manually ? And also setting the dns to Open DNS ? I.e. A specific open DNS server ? Get Ur ip adress first on Ur laptop using whatsmyip.org and use this when setting up the ps3 connection . Don't use the automatic options

Thee or ps3 help centres are nearly always useless for this sort of thing until you get onto a PROPER engineer.
    Ingot this to work with three broadband b4 . Any questions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Usual questions...

What version of windows are you using ? XP, Vista, Windows 7?

What antivirus / spyware / firewall are you using ?

These are also helpful
    http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/sharing-mobile-broadband-ps3.html

http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/sharing-mobile-broadband-ps3.html#ps3-pc-video

LakesKeane wrote: »
    Right dude . Dont fret . Did you try setting the ip address manually ? And also setting the dns to Open DNS ? I.e. A specific open DNS server ? Get Ur ip adress first on Ur laptop using whatsmyip.org and use this when setting up the ps3 connection . Don't use the automatic options

Thee or ps3 help centres are nearly always useless for this sort of thing until you get onto a PROPER engineer.
    Ingot this to work with three broadband b4 . Any questions welcome.
    Yeah, I tryed to set it manually but when I set it, I couldn't save it. I press the O button and it says ''settings will be lost''. Where would I find dns? :o

eddhorse wrote: »
    Usual questions...

What version of windows are you using ? XP, Vista, Windows 7?

What antivirus / spyware / firewall are you using ?

These are also helpful
    http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/sharing-mobile-broadband-ps3.html

http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/sharing-mobile-broadband-ps3.html#ps3-pc-video
    Vista and MacAfee, although I think MacAfee might be expired. Will that affect it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yungjoc

I had it working for a day and the next day it stop its head wrecking. any time i connect my laptop up to my ps3 my 02 net cuts off.:(

Rang up Playstation today, they told contact my internet service provider to get my ''static IP address'', I then ring up 3 and I'm connected to some guy on the other side of the world who keeps me on the phone for 10 minutes just to tell me ''we don't do static IP address, they are random blah blah blah''.
    Christ almighty above, so fúcking frustrating. All I want to do is get online!!! ARRRRRGGGGHHHH fúck off 3 and fúck off Playstion :mad:.

Ahem.....rant over :o:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

I did say not to ring them. Have you tried to input your ip address manually?

I had it working with 3 mobile broadband consistently for about a month, then I bought a router for it.

LakesKeane wrote: »
    I did say not to ring them. Have you tried to input your ip address manually?

I had it working with 3 mobile broadband consistently for about a month, then I bought a router for it.

Yeah I've tryed that but when I type the ip address into the PS3 it just doesn't save it.
    I press O and the black screen with the "settings you have made will not be saved".

I had to ring them, I'm at the end of my tether :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Using mobile broadband can be stubborn but I can get my O2 modem working with it all the time.

Just connect to the net first, then go to properties and click on sharing. Then click on the box where it allows you to share with other networks. Then click on drop down menu and choose LAN

Then turn on PS3 you can do a network connection test. And it will say succeeded.

Do not have sharing ticked until after you connect to the net with your modem. Do all that afterwards or else it won't work.

I never have to type in IP address or any static crap. It works all the time for me with the way I explained. When I turn off the PS3 and come back to it later it should auto-connect to the net. If not I just follow the footsteps I explained and it works.

• Advertisement

So, I think I might be getting somewhere. Entered IP address and other nonsense and tryed to connect. It said:

Connection test completed
    Obtain IP address: Succeeded :)
    Internet connection: Failed :(
    An error occured during communication with the server. This is a DNS error. (80710102)

Does DNS error mean anything to anyone? Or those numbers?
    I feel like I'm close. (Then again, I might have just ballsed it up even more :D)
    Any help greatly appreciated.

J. Marston wrote: »
    So, I think I might be getting somewhere. Entered IP address and other nonsense and tryed to connect. It said:

Connection test completed
    Obtain IP address: Succeeded :)
    Internet connection: Failed :(
    An error occured during communication with the server. This is a DNS error. (80710102)

Does DNS error mean anything to anyone? Or those numbers?
    I feel like I'm close. (Then again, I might have just ballsed it up even more :D)
    Any help greatly appreciated.

You will need 3's proper DSN IP addresses i think.

What version of windows do you have?

You will need 3's proper DSN IP addresses i think.

What version of windows do you have?

Windows Vista.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Find-the-IP-Address-of-Your-PC-40302872

From your laptop Do this and input "ipconfig /all" into the command prompt.

It will show you your dns server IP's you need to input on the PS3

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Find-the-IP-Address-of-Your-PC-40302872

From your laptop Do this and input "ipconfig /all" into the command prompt.

It will show you your dns server IP's you need to input on the PS3
    Yeah, have the dns' now. But the default router/gateway (same thing?) won't go to 0.0.0.0, I had numbers in it previously and when I try to put the first number to zero I get a message saying ''the value you entered is not valid'' :confused:

The Default Router/ Gateway will be in the list as well from IPCONFIG.

Something like this :

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.22
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.254

The Default Router/ Gateway will be in the list as well from IPCONFIG.

Something like this :

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.22
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.254
    I've got the IPv4 address, Subnet mask and the the dns but my default gateway is 0.0.0.0 and my PS3 won't allow me to enter the first digit as zero for the default gateway. Instead I get the fúcking ''value you entered is not valid'' message popping up :mad:. Lord give me strength! :D
    (I do appreciate the help though, cheers :o)

You need that gateway address to provide a route to the internet.

It should be the IP of the PC/Laptop as thats the route you are taking to the internet.

So PS3->PC->3 Modem->Internet.

So when entering the gateway on the PS3 use the IP of the PC/Laptop :D

Ok, I've noticed something. That video you linked (from 5min.com) I typed cmd into the run program and typed in ''ipconfig/all''.
    I looked at the Windows IP Configuration and it looked like this:

Host Name: blah blah
    Primary Dns Suffix: (it's blank)
    Node Type: Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Now, IP Routing being disabled doesn't sound right, it should be enabled, yeah?

No that is standard, did you try your PC IP as the gateway address?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've tryed that now. It suceeds in finding my IP address but it still fails to get an internet connection although it does say ''checking...'' for longer than it used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I am with 3. I have the cable going from laptop to ps3 using Vista and it wont work...

It says ip address obtained but failed to connect to network..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I am with 3. I have the cable going from laptop to ps3 using Vista and it wont work...

It says ip address obtained but failed to connect to network..
    Yeah, same here. I've given up on it. I don't need the kind of stress it brings, bad for the heart :D.

Sorry i couldnt be of more assistance, i dont have a 3 dongle !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Right, I got it working with 3.

Go into 3 connect and go online. Then go into Start, Network, Network Sharing Center, Manage Network Connections and right click 1.3g

Enable sharing via the last tab and click ok. (It should change from saying connected, to sharing, connected)

Connect the ps -> laptop via an ethernet cable.

Go back into Manage Network Connections and right click Local Area Connection, go into TCP/Iv4 and properties. Change the IP to 192.168.0.1, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255 and Gateway Blank. Leave the DNS servers blank also.

On the playstation make everything automatic and it *should* work.

Lemme know how ye get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Failed to obtain ip address....

*Bangs head of desk again*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LiLYasH20

I have exactly same vodafone and same problem as Leeg17 :confused:

same here when i put broadband lan goes off when i put lan broadband goes off smetimes lan wnt even connect i want to smash everything :(

i think ur the only one who cn help i use vodafone like leeg17 used to hve and my broadband is on my lan goes off(ethernet cable is not connected) i got it workin fluke once and went on youtube and signed in my ps is LiLYasH20...but nw i messed up the settimgs cause it wsnt wrkin and im banging my head of the wall i even gt sme blood :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Make sure best connected is set to "prompt", and when you plug in the lan cable a dialog box should pop up asking for you to switch to the new wired connection, click cancel and both should stay active.

Advertisement