Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps3 + Mobile Broadband (Vodafone)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

eddhorse wrote: »
    disable both firewall and then connect your broadband dongle, then connect your cable then go into ps3 internet connection settings

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    Still hasn't worked :(
    Did as you said to, exact same thing happened.
    (5th page woo! :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ok last attempt, try changing your LAN cables IP address.

Change TCP/IP settings

1.Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, clicking Network and Sharing Center, and then clicking Manage network connections.

2.Right-click the connection that you want to change ie Local Area Network, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click either Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.

4.To specify IPv4 IP address settings, do one of the following:

•To specify an IP address, click Use the following IP address, and then, in the IP address, Subnet mask, and Default gateway boxes, type the IP address settings
    192.168.0.10 for IP
    255.255.255.0 for Subnet

Then click the relevant OK's etc

After that try the PS3 internet connection again

Nope, Ip address still timed out..
    75722iquit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Can i jump in here and get some help too please.
    I got an ethernet cable and did all the instructions everyone has advised on here, although things look a little different with 3 compared to vodafone.
    Can anyone give me a step by step guide to connecting with a 3 bb doogle thing please?
    As i keep gettin the same "The attempt to obtain an IP address timed out" thing on my ps3.

THANKS!!!!

ps: i'm on XP not Vista.

I did an XP one at the start of this thread.

Generally if its an IP time out thing that means your firewall is blocking the ps3 from getting an IP. Either windows firewall or your Antivirus firewall.

Ill attach it again,
    Someone else here on this thread got 3 working.

• Advertisement

Bit of googling later :

First open your Network Connections. You will see the 3 modem, ignore this for now. Further down you will see 2 ethernet connections, Local are connection, and 1394 connection. Right click one LOcal Area COnnection and Bridge the connection. Then open the properties of your 3 modem and under Advanced click on internet connection sharing. Install your ethernet cable from the back of your computer directly to the PS3. On your PS3 network settings search for the new connection. On testing it should work. Hey presto your online. I use win xp on my system and it usualy works fine. Sometimes you get a DNS error, keep retrying, if no luck, restart your pc, connect your 3 service and you should be good to go.

Yes i have read through this and have done that step by step guide, but in step 5:
    'Click on the Advanced TAB then tick 'Allow other users to share this computer's internet connection'. Set the Home networking drop down box to Local Area Connection. Click OK.'

i do not have those settings to change, i just have the windows firewall settings thing there.
    This is where i thing its going wrong for me

Bit of googling later :

First open your Network Connections. You will see the 3 modem, ignore this for now. Further down you will see 2 ethernet connections, Local are connection, and 1394 connection. Right click one LOcal Area COnnection and Bridge the connection. Then open the properties of your 3 modem and under Advanced click on internet connection sharing. Install your ethernet cable from the back of your computer directly to the PS3. On your PS3 network settings search for the new connection. On testing it should work. Hey presto your online. I use win xp on my system and it usualy works fine. Sometimes you get a DNS error, keep retrying, if no luck, restart your pc, connect your 3 service and you should be good to go.

Didnt see this, will try now.

Edit 10 mins later: OMG thats what i was missing, 'Right click one LOcal Area COnnection and Bridge the connection.' ITS WORKING!!!!!

Thanks man!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rob_81

I have the exact same disconnecting problem with my vodafone modem and PS3. im convinced its an ip address conflict. CAN ANYONE HELP?!!!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ada4347

how can u bridge the connections when u do dat it says needs 2 high speed lan connections or something :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Dunno if this will help with anyones problems on this thread but I find this very handy.

http://connectify.me/

If you have a laptop you can turn it into a wifi hotspot. No need for an ethernet cable.

You need Windows 7 though..Don't you.. I tried Gettin that and it said windows 7 only.. tell me how connectify works because im getting a new laptop with windows 7 soon evrything revolves around windows 7 :P anyone help me please.. i want a program LIKE connectify for vista please.. :/ its my last attempt before windows 7 ..

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rob_81

ok, so i followed everything on the thread, and in theory it should have worked but it didn't. VODAFONE usb modem is what i have and with disconnection the second i plugged in my lan cable.
    So i got my buddy to bring over his 3 (not vodafone!!) usb stick modem. Plugged it in and it set up its own network stuff. I briged the connections like you guys said and played CODmw2 no problem once i turned everything off and back on again. Perfect. Way better speed on the 3 modem btw, vodafone is terrible here.
    So my buddy took his 3 modem home and i plugged back in my vodafone usb as before and hey presto.. . . NO MORE DISCONNECTION!!!!
    Its worked perfect since (ecxept for terrible delay coz of bad signal get me killed the whole time).
    So heres the solution. borrow somebodys 3 modem, bridge connections as explained, then swap back to ur vodafone. sweet.
    I'm on XP on a really old laptop so if it works for me shud be easy for newer tech.
    tried crossover cable vs patch cable, this made no difference as far as i cud see, both worked.
    Let me know how ye get on.

• can u bridge connections on vodafone

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Bit of googling later :

Followed your guide,Im succeding in getting an ip address but the connection still fails I get an "connection to server timed out (80710092)"error message,any ideas? thanks for putting up that guide.

What antivirus/firewall are you using?
    Turn off windows firewall as well just to test.

After that you might need to try put in manual DNS settings.

Both answers unrelated but thats after a bit of googling

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well I uninstalled macaffe or whatever its called and It obtained my ip address and then connected,then I went to sign and it said I had to update my system,so I guess Im good to go?

Well I can onto the ps store but I cant play any games online,I have tried fifa and resistance :(

You are good to go alright :)
    McAfee was stopping it so,you should really make sure you have antivirus and firewall though. At least it is working :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Well I can onto the ps store but I cant play any games online,I have tried fifa and resistance :(

What are your pings like? I presume they wont let you connect to the servers unless you're below a certain threshold . . Try it late at night maybe?

• Advertisement

LakesKeane wrote: »
    What are your pings like? I presume they wont let you connect to the servers unless you're below a certain threshold . . Try it late at night maybe?

How do I check this?I was trying to connect between 9pm and 12am.

How do I check this?I was trying to connect between 9pm and 12am.

Speedtest.net

for online gaming you really need sub 100ms. depends on the game I think though. I've heard of people playing with no problems on mw2 with 150ms pings.!

ah so anything under 100ms should work ok?

ah so anything under 100ms should work ok?

yep depends on game, but should be grand ya! cant say for sure. also using a cable between the ps3 and laptop instead of over wireless will bring down the pings sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 aceflush1

Laptop:

I went into 'Network and Sharing', and then into 'Manage Network Connections'. Right click on the vodafone icon (or whatever ISP you're with), and click 'Properties'. Go into 'Sharing' then tick 'Allow other users to share this computer's internet connection'. In the box below this ('Home Networking Connection), choose 'Local Area Connection'. Press 'OK'. It will advise you of some stuff, but just press 'OK'. As long as you haven't diabled any relevant services (networking/sharing), your computer won't 'voice' any objections.

Now for the PS3:

Make sure you've connected the ethernet cable from your computer's ethernet interface to your PS3's ethernet interface. Go into 'Settings', then 'Network Settings'. Now choose 'Internet Connection Settings'. It will then say 'If you perform Internet connection settings, the system will be disconnected. Press 'YES'. Select 'EASY'. It will check for 'Network Configuration'. For 'IP Address Setting', choose 'Automatic. For 'DHCP', choose 'Do Not Set'. For 'DNS', choose 'Automatic'. For 'MTU', choose 'Automatic'. For 'Proxy Server', choose 'Do Not Use'. For 'UPnP' choose 'Enable'. The list of everything you've chosen will then be shown. Press 'X' on your controller. Press 'X' again to test the connection. Your PS3 will test the connection. You should be successful in obtaining an IP address, and with establishing an internet connection. It may tell you to update your PS3's software.
    i tested my connection and it is succesfull but when i try 2 sign up 2 playstation network is sez i need a system update even tho i have done it....via media and via internet...i can google but not sign up....can u help please im so freaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yungjoc

Leeg17 wrote: »
    What I mean to say is, I can connect to vodafone network grand, once I insert the ethernet cable into the ps and then the laptop, the computer disconnects from vodafone network, and says it's connected through the LAN connection...
    hey how did u get past this its very annoying please help:(

I got 3 broadband, it's shít, but you can say it's "playable"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yungjoc

how did u get past the connecting the laptop and ps3 together when the net goes off????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I have 3 broadband as well but I haven't the first idea how to connect to the PS3, I have the ethernet cable and I connect the the two but nothing happens.
    Any advice, please? :o

• Advertisement

Have you read through the whole thread?
    Some people got the guide working with 3, have you seen the PDF?
    I think its on page 5

Advertisement