Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OVERDUE!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing this is your first baby?
    It is very common for a first baby to be overdue, and still not need to be induced. The reason for this is that a first baby usually doesn't "engage" (basically, move down into the birth position) until just before labour starts naturally. A second or third baby can engage a couple of weeks before the birth, though, again, some of them can still turn somersaults until just before labour starts. Your midwife will take this, and the condition of your cervix into account before making any decision to induce.

Try not to get stressed about due dates - there is no guarantee that you got pregnant on day 14 of your cycle, exactly. It could just as easily have been day 12 or 16, for example.(Easier said than done when you're dying to see your new baby, I know.)

Your midwife will know when baby is ready to appear, and will decide then whether you need to be induced, or not. Apart from being uncomfortable for a while longer, going a bit overdue definitely wont do either you or baby any harm. Just get as much sleep as you can until baby appears LOL.

Noreen

Thanks for that Noreen. Actually my baby is in fully engaged position for last 2 weeks :D So I guess its only waiting game at this stage.. My GP check all again yesterday and said he thinks its only question of couple of days (2 or 3) when I go into labour.. well I am 40 + 2 today so will see what will happen and when :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Elle13 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Noreen. Actually my baby is in fully engaged position for last 2 weeks :D So I guess its only waiting game at this stage.. My GP check all again yesterday and said he thinks its only question of couple of days (2 or 3) when I go into labour.. well I am 40 + 2 today so will see what will happen and when :rolleyes:[/QUOT

If your baby is engaged for the last 2 weeks, then he/she is probably doing a very nice job of softening your cervix for you :D. - which is very good news for your labour, since the opening of the cervix is what all those labour pains are about - and we can all do with as few of those as possible!!
    And if your doctor thinks you will only go another couple of days, then your cervix is almost undoubtedly already ripe - so, yes, it's just a matter of waiting (impatiently lol) now.

Best of luck to all of you. Just remember that everyone, and every labour, is different, and try not to worry if your experience seems different to someone else's. That's natural.

Noreen

Thanks again Noreen... well hopefully.. I am only wondering are you a midwife or nurse?
    Well i am not sure if I should be saying this but.. i done total clean out of the house today.. I mean went mad and washed the floors and change the sheets and clean bathrooms.. just everything you can really think of..
    When I was nearly finished I got this ''leak''.. probably about an amount of a shot glass.. maybe a bit more..I mean it felt like something went down there but after checking it was only clear stuff.. like water with a bit of creamy stuff... did not look like nothing to be worried about.. it happened to me about 3 times in past week or so.. so I am wondering what this could be and is it normal??? Anyone knows???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

it sounds like it could be ur waters :D smell it if its sweet it is. If it is ring the hosp as they might want u to come in...

sounds like ur nesting anyways so ur prob going to go pretty soon. I've decide my baby is like his daddy and just playing april fools day joke on me and make me think he was coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Think I've had my show... Himself is getting very nervous, you'd think he's the one faqcing labour lol!!:D
    I reckon the race is on girls!! But sounds like Cathy is going to win!

• Advertisement

I no i've been getting calls from himself non stop today and if i dont reply to msg its like 100 calls its like jesus i'm in the toilet I cant run to answer phone lol.

Think cathy will win but sure this time next week we will all have our little babies :D

bulmersgal wrote: »
    it sounds like it could be ur waters :D smell it if its sweet it is. If it is ring the hosp as they might want u to come in...

sounds like ur nesting anyways so ur prob going to go pretty soon. I've decide my baby is like his daddy and just playing april fools day joke on me and make me think he was coming soon.

I'd agree with that. Again, don't go panicking. I spent three weeks in a maternity ward with the same thing. Eventually, when I'd lost too much fluid, they induced labour 7 weeks prematurely. My son is now 16, 5' 11", and towers over yours truly! LOL.
    The hospital may want to monitor you if you have lost a lot of fluid, but it really doesn't sound as if you have.
    They may ask you to come in and have a scan. Based on the results of that scan, and how "ready" for labour you are, they might admit you, and, equally, might not!

I laughed out loud when I read how you cleaned the whole house - I did that before every labour except the 2 prems., both of which were induced with Oxytocin.
    You're "nest-building" lol. Wont be long, now!

Oh, and no, I'm not a nurse or midwife, just have several kids, a couple of grandchildren, and spent extended periods in hospital before the birth of both my premature children - if you're a nosey sod, like me, you'd be amazed what you learn on the Maternity ward!:D:D

Noreen

It smells alright but am not really sure if it can be called sweet smell.. ha ha
    I dont think I am loosing too much water so I am gonna wait and see if it happens again tomorrow.. if it does I mite call the hosp..
    How are you feeling yourself Bulmersgal?

it can only me pee or ur waters as far as i no.

I'm grand keep on getting more and more of my show so feels like something is happening slowly. Bouncing on my ball seems to increase it so spending the evening on that. Ate a whole pineapple aswell, it was so yummy.

In a real organising mood myself so sitting on my ball putting all my dvds into one of those cd's case's. Got so many dvd's taking up way to much room.

You been getting any more cramps

Yeah I know.. I think its my waters leaking alrigh but nothing else is happening so I doubt anything will happen at my end tonite..
    I am actually exhausted now so I am gonna have my shower and try to get some sleep during nite for change ;)
    I will chat to you tomorrow if you still here..
    Nite nite.x

• Advertisement

Elle13, you really do need to see your doctor, as s/he may want to put you on antibiotics. Like I said, nothing to panic about, but it does need to be monitored - if you don't go into labour before morning, that is!

Noreen

Ok... am still at home but phoned the hospital. The midwife said to come in as they have to have a look if its waters around the baby leaking or my bladder..
    She said if that was waters around the baby they mite have to give me gel streight away..
    The thing is no leaking is going on right now so I hope they wont give out to me when I get there.
    I will let you know when I get back home what the story is ;)

Oh good luck elle, hopefully everything is alright. Don't worry about being induce just means u'll get to see ur little baby sooner.

My baby loves playing games with me, felt no movements all morning so decide to ring hosp to check was everything all right. Explain the last few days they said thats normal after a sweep, got told to have a glass of ice cold water and lie down and count the kicks. Sure the minute I got off phone baby started kicking. Feels good to no that everything is alright tho

hi girls, so I am just reporting in.. Spent the day in the hospital.. I called them to say I got a leak of some kinda fluid few times and they said to come streight in.. I got there at abt 11ish and they put me on the CTG scan machine immediately.. babys heart beat was perfect, my blood pressure too and my temperature too.. they said they will leave me on the machine for at least 20 mins and then the doc will see me and do a scan just to make sure all is fine.
    Well as soon as I relaxed the baby fell asleep (as our routine is no sleep in the night and loads of sleep between 8am and 3pm). I was on the machine for over 20 mins when the midwife came to check.. she said ah no.. we dont want the baby to sleep that is no good so she send me to get something to eat and drink and bring it back upstairs so she can put me back on the CTG thingy.. well got food and drink but our baby did not react much to that ether.. just slept through it.. then gave us about 2 wobbles and that was it..
    Well they were not happy with that at all... the doc done a scan and all was fine there.. she also examinate me to see if the fluid I was leaking was my waters or just some kind of discharge.. luckily it was not waters but really strong discharge which is apparently normal in this stage of pregnancy but she said she is not happy that the baby is not moving and that she has to admit me to unit 3 and what else that they mite have to induce me later on.. so there I was panicking.. got admitted to unit 3 where there was a girl in late first stage of a labour just in the ward beside me so got it all live.. frightened the whits out of me.. she was then eventualy moved to labour ward but it took ages.. my OH was shocked..ha ha Well so was I...
    Anyhow they done another hour of CTG at 4pm and the baby woke up this time so it gave them texbook scan so they were happy enough with everything but they were still saying another doc is gonna see me and he mite still induce me if my cervix was soft enough .. Well this doc did not turn up till close to 6pm and when he did saw the latest CTG and said he wont even examinate my cervix and released me home...
    I am to come back if movements are low or get another dicharge or obviously go to labour...
    So here I am back at home after having chicken kebab and chips and nothing is happening again :D

How r you feeling now Bulmergal.. any news?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

Oh poor Elle! A long day to spend in there to be told to go home again. Still at least you know all is ok again. if you had been leaking waters it could be a problem!
    I was convinced it was starting this morning, but all quietened again. Am gonna try tea and the ball this eve see if I can get things moving. I would quite like for it to happen over the weekend, I like the idea of an easter baby!!
    To top it all off we sold our car this morning, have the replacement bought, but will need to change insurance etc for next week!! When it rains it pours...:rolleyes:

Hi Elle.

I'm glad everything is alright. Kinda thought it was, but you can't be sure without the scan.
    Your waters act as a screen for your baby, to help prevent infection, so it's important to scan and make sure there's enough around your baby. When there's enough there, as in your case, and baby is moving well, then they leave you to go into labour by yourself.

If a lot of amniotic fluid is lost, then they will induce. Since you're overdue, anyway, this wouldn't make any big difference to your labour. Baby is engaged, anyway, so your cervix is in the right position for delivery (your cervix is tilted slightly upward during pregnancy, and it swings downward to prepare for the birth, and make it easier)

Now, it's just a question of waiting until baby decides to enter the world. I don't think it will be too much longer. Just hang in there, as patiently as possible.

Noreen

I think my baby hates me lol, think it moving its way back up now instead of down.

Really really achy today, keep snapping at people. But trying to stay calm and positive and sure i've only 4 more days left now. Sound like such a moan!

Elle glad everything went well in hosp, its horrible waiting around when u didn't need to but its better that u didn't need to be kept in.

Fi i think our babies like to make us think todays the day and it will be the one day when we wake up saying ah nothing going to happen it will all kick off for real

Hi girls,

so another day plus.. ha ha.. am 40+4 today yey
    Better start thinking its funny rather then get annoyed over it.. I just think our baby is too comfy in there and just wont ever come out...
    Slept since about 11pm last nite up till about 11am this morning..well with my usual breaks for wee every now and again.. I was soooo tired after that day in the hosp..unreal!
    How r yous feeling today??? I am seriously starting to think I will have to be induced! :confused:

I just keep telling myself that baby loves me to much to come out. I'm 40+6 today, went down to the shop and bought castor oil so going to try that in a while.

I'm looking forward to getting induced in one way it means least I no there's a end at sight. Would prefer to go myself tho.

ewww i just drank some of that castor oil, oh dear god i hope it works as its gross

• Advertisement

I remember this discussion coming up at one stage in the Maternity ward. The midwives there sounded pretty convinced that it didn't work. You really are better off waiting, hard though it may be. When your body is ready for labour, then you will be induced, if necessary.

I knew someone once who managed to persuade the doctors to induce labour.

I'm not going to go into the details here, it's enough to say that she admitted afterwards that it would have been in her own best interests to wait.

All I'm going to say is: Your body needs to be ready. So does your baby. If either of you are not ready, then you can at least expect a labour that is more painful than it needs to be. It can get nasty - please, it's none of my business, and you can tell me to feck off if you like, but you should take your midwifes advice. It honestly is for your own good.

They will induce you, if neccessary - but only when you are ready for labour.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

ladys ive being reading all the posts , 40 weeks is a long time to wait, then its a right ballox when we go over one week or more. there is nothing you can do to hurry little junior up ,castor oil dont work ive try'd it but it made me so sick. listen to noreen..with me i went over 8 days , i could see big bump grow by the day, our boy came out (all 11lb) by section, told the surgen before it to stirelize me as in cut the tubes. cos we didnt want any more little surprises. the pill made me swell up and sick didint matter which one i took. it was my choice to get it done that way and they agree,d..when family phone you and say 'are you still there' just grit your teeth and say 'ya where else should i be'.;)

ewww i just drank some of that castor oil, oh dear god i hope it works as its gross

Ah hun, am sure your little junior loves you to bits and thats why she/he is still in there :D
    I am not going anywhere close to this castor oil.. it sounds awfull and I remmember the antenatal classes where the midwife mentioned few times they would not recommend it.. come on.. the baby will have to come our sooner or later so lets wait for it and make the last few days of waiting as nice as possible instead of drinking yuky stuff ;)

Ah its done now, baby moving around more now which is nice as its been a lazy bugger. Drank it 5 hours ago about 2 tablespoons and no mad side effects.

Went on 2 walks today so hoping something might happen! Always feel worse after walking tho. Not trying any more home recipes or old wives tales have tried most of them and baby not budging. The only ones I enjoy are raspberry tea and bouncing on ball so will continue them.

How u feeling?

Ah its done now, baby moving around more now which is nice as its been a lazy bugger. Drank it 5 hours ago about 2 tablespoons and no mad side effects.

Went on 2 walks today so hoping something might happen! Always feel worse after walking tho. Not trying any more home recipes or old wives tales have tried most of them and baby not budging. The only ones I enjoy are raspberry tea and bouncing on ball so will continue them.

How u feeling?

I am fine today.. can feel baby is getting lazy.. only get few moves every day now.. he/she is the most busy at nite hours..starts about 8pm and lasts till about 12 or so..
    I love the raspberry tea too.. only drinking it as its really nice. I dont believe it could bring on the labour but apparently it can help to soften your cervix too which would be help I guess :o I love pineapple too so enjoying that few times a week.. using the ball more for resting my feet on it then anyting else if am honest..
    Went for a walk around the sea to Dun Laoghaire this afternoon.. only a short wadle as the weather was not great..sun only lasted for about half an hour for us..
    I think I am over the whole thing of waiting that it could happen every minute.. just seams like it will happen some day..for some mad reason I dont think it could be tonite or tomorrow..
    I love the idea of an easter baby though :cool:

fi1979 wrote: »
    Oh poor Elle! A long day to spend in there to be told to go home again. Still at least you know all is ok again. if you had been leaking waters it could be a problem!
    I was convinced it was starting this morning, but all quietened again. Am gonna try tea and the ball this eve see if I can get things moving. I would quite like for it to happen over the weekend, I like the idea of an easter baby!!
    To top it all off we sold our car this morning, have the replacement bought, but will need to change insurance etc for next week!! When it rains it pours...:rolleyes:

Hi Fi, any news with you?? How have you been over the wend?

Yay i'm in labour woohoo been getting contractions since half 5, went to the hosp and they said i'm 2cm. They asked did i wanna go home or stay there as could be hours before the big event so opted to go home as there will be feck all traffic on roads.

Can't wait to meet my little one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Goodluck bulmersgal think by this time tomorrow you'll be holding your beautiful lil baby!

• Advertisement

That's great! All the best.

Noreen

Advertisement