Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC LEGEND: 2G/3G COVERAGE ISSUES LIKE THE HERO?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willynt

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting the HTC Legend from Meteor, and I have a few questions...
    - Is there a microSD card in the box? what capacity?
    - Is the phone simlocked to Meteor?
    - Any Meteor branded UI, or only the standard HTC Sense?

Thx for your help...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

willynt wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about getting the HTC Legend from Meteor, and I have a few questions...

Thx for your help...
    Have you read this thread?! :eek::pac:

Guys is this definitely only an issue with meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

willynt wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Thx for your help...
    You're in the wrong thread (i think:pac:) but
    -Yes there is a microSD in the box. (2GB)
    -No the phone isn't simlocked to Meteor (have checked with my Vodafone SIM) apparently because Meteor are too scared to fiddle around with the software:D
    -It's a factory unlocked soooo i presume it's the standard HTC Sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

An offical update from meteor on the issue.
    http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=653&st=0&p=3529&#entry3529

To summarise, only a small minority effected, they haven't got a monkeys what's causing it, their phones work fine, don't know how to fix it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Yes it definitely doesn't sound promising anyway. :( I'm kind of surprised they came out and admitted they don't know what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is this problem not just specific to the HTC devices - i.e. if other 3G phones don't suffer the same fault then presumably it is HTC specific? Unless it has to do with always on Data that might not be used on other phones....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I'd wager the always on nature (bg data) of the android phones is the problem. I'm sure the meteor network is not used to this amount of 3g access - literally constant! I also wonder if people without the problem have bg data disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

00sully wrote: »
    I'd wager the always on nature (bg data) of the android phones is the problem. I'm sure the meteor network is not used to this amount of 3g access - literally constant! I also wonder if people without the problem have bg data disabled?
    I'd say you could be right.

I know someone on one of these threads (so many of them now :) ) mentioned that they turned off 3g access and seen the problem on 2g. I wonder if having background-data on while on 2g still communicates with the 3g network, if it does then this is definitely the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 myles12

the hero allows 3g disable, the legend is so cool it does not need to disable 3g because the provider gives such a great service?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

myles12 wrote: »
    app 'no signal alert' does the same thing

For some reason, 'no signal alert' didn't work for me, yes it let me know when there was no signal, but it didn't let me know when my phone locked up due to the no service error. But I guess I'm not to be trusted as I wrote the 'No Coverage Alert' app ;-)

I'm planning to put code into my app that will automatically switch the cell radio off and on again, which will hopefully allow the phone to recover from the no service error automatically.

I upgraded to the Legend from the Hero and it did lock up on me, but only once so far.

Meteor contacted me yesterday asking if they could do line monitoring on my usage, not sure I like that idea, but I said yes.

They want me to use the phone as much as possible and let them know if/when it locks up again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 myles12

myles12 wrote: »
    the hero allows 3g disable, the legend is so cool it does not need to disable 3g because the provider gives such a great service?
    my mistake htc inform me you go to settings then mobile networks change network mode to gsm only. thanks to htc, rather defeats the purpose of a 3 g phone but if you switch to this in the dodgy areas it might help.
    has anybody listed where the dodgy signals are that cause the problem? for me it is around bulloch harbour dalkey and gleneely in wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

Havn't had any disconnects in the last few days on my HTC Legend

Maybe Meteor have improved / fixed the network?

*jinx*

• Registered Users Posts: 19 5euros

Hi,

I can confirm that for over a week now my HTC Legend is working perfectly on the Meteor network:D.

I have to say I'm really delighted with this phone.

A few days on from my post, still no network drop-off.

Been over a week now since I last had the problem, hopefully network issue resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I haven't had a single drop since I bought my phone last Thursday. I bought a HTC Desire though, not a Legend so maybe that's why.

I waiting for my HTC Legend and just wondering will there be any 3G/2G handover problems on Vodafone?:confused:

jwcurtin wrote: »
    I waiting for my HTC Legend and just wondering will there be any 3G/2G handover problems on Vodafone?:confused:

As far as i know the problem was only occurring on the Meteor network

Despite not having any disconnect issues for awhile (good run had me thinking it had gone away forever), it's back with a vengance the last few days

:mad:

flynnduism wrote: »
    As far as i know the problem was only occurring on the Meteor network

Can confirm NO problems with the HTC Legend on Vodafone IE:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bramble79

I have the legend 3 weeks now and only started experiencing this problem yesterday. Already am on verge of hopping it off the wall or out the window so don't know how any of you have dealt with this for weeks or months... :eek:

Presume it's still not sorted so will have to go and get rid tomorrow... Fingers crossed I don't have any hassle.

Despite not having any disconnect issues for awhile (good run had me thinking it had gone away forever), it's back with a vengance the last few days

:mad:

Hi I can still report no dropped signals for the last few weeks:D. I should add that I have barely been outside "The Pale" in this time.

Additionally, HTC pushed down a software upgrade last Sunday afternoon...I don't know if this was the "ROM upgrade" I have heard mentioned recently on other forums.

I'd had a good run the last few weeks too, but I've had disconnects about 4 times this week (I'm in Dublin city centre), issue has defo not gone away!

I thought I'd seen the last of these problems but earlier this week they were back with a vengence - 3-4 disconnects a day:mad:

I phoned Meteor Customer Care - in fairness they were very helpful (thank you Angela). She told me to leave the phone on, remove the battery, leave for 2 minutes, restore the battery again and switch the phone back on.

Since I've done this I've had perfect coverage for almost a week:D I suppose this method is some sort of cold reboot but it seems to have done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cdc2711

i heard somewhere that the legend on meteor is simfree , i dont know if this is true or not or if its jusst the prepay one . but if it was would it not make more sense to to just stick a 3 or vodafone sim into it and leave it there !

mine is sim free, dunno if they're still selling them like that

it seemed like they weren't sure how to modify the devices to be locked to meteor when they first came out, so they let them be

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

mine is sim free, dunno if they're still selling them like that

When you say sim free, I assume you mean unlocked! You still had to sign up to a contract or pay 350+ euro for a pre-pay version of the phone.

As least that's the way my one was!

Yeah, unlocked. I'm on the 25 a month contract (plus 4.99 on data), and had to pay 130 up front

By the time my 12 months is up, Ill have paid €430 which pretty close to the up front cost of buying the phone without a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cdc2711

in carphone warehouse you can get it for 320 simfree and the desire for 340 simfree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bramble79

I got legend for 50 on a 12 month contract.
    Still issues with it but if I change the network provider from meteor to vodafone it works fine. Can still use my meteor inclusive minutes with them too. Think there is a charge for data roaming when using vodafone though.

Advertisement