Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC LEGEND: 2G/3G COVERAGE ISSUES LIKE THE HERO?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James.m.c

00sully wrote: »
    what about this post? nasty. http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=637

Gerard, I wouldn't be getting to ahead of yourself although I really hope the case of dropped network I've heard of with the legend is an isolated problem and was due to some other factor.

James - will you get a refund for the price you paid for the handset if you have to hand it back?

As far as I know I wont. I was so happy that everything was sorted, that I forgot to ask about getting the actual receipt that my contract was cancelled.

I'll send it by registered post, I'll have some security that way.

I wouldn't mind the Legend but very worried about the same issue arising.

HTC Desire or
    iPhone
    will be my next purchase. Can't believe I just said that haha:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've had an iPhone on O2 for since the launch of the iPhone 3G and I absolutely loved the HTC Hero, but unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out for me with Meteor due to all the 3G and data problems. The lack of paid apps and the fact that that Google shows no signs of opening up the Irish store is also a major consideration.

I cancelled today and I'll be returning the handset as soon as my port over to Vodafone and a new iPhone is complete (I ordered via their website).

As much as I like Android, I just need something solid and stable and I can't go smart-phoneless.

I might consider going back to an Android at some stage in the future, but for now I'm afraid I'm going to have to skulk back to the Steve Jobs!

The HTC Androids are *fantastic phones*.

I sincerely hope that Meteor get this stuff sorted out soon as the more competition in this sector the better.

We need 'iPhone competition' rather than 'iPhone killers'... it's all healthy!

Solair wrote: »
    I've had an iPhone on O2 for since the launch of the iPhone 3G and I absolutely loved the HTC Hero, but unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out for me with Meteor due to all the 3G and data problems. The lack of paid apps and the fact that that Google shows no signs of opening up the Irish store is also a major consideration.

I cancelled today and I'll be returning the handset as soon as my port over to Vodafone and a new iPhone is complete (I ordered via their website).

As much as I like Android, I just need something solid and stable and I can't go smart-phoneless.

I might consider going back to an Android at some stage in the future, but for now I'm afraid I'm going to have to skulk back to the Steve Jobs!

The HTC Androids are *fantastic phones*.

I sincerely hope that Meteor get this stuff sorted out soon as the more competition in this sector the better.

We need 'iPhone competition' rather than 'iPhone killers'... it's all healthy!

I'm doing the exact same. Contract is cancelled. Goin to get an iPhone during the week. I'm sure we're entitled to a refund due to the fact that the service was faulty thru no fault of our own. The guy I xas talking to in meteor seems to agree with me but the cancellation dept are lookin into it. Statutory rights and all that. The woman in the O2 shop I was talking to today laughed as she couldn't believe I wasn't getting a refund seeing as I am sending back the Hero.

Absolutely fantastic phone, just poor network. I'm genuinely gutted.

I'll get a HTC again in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭breeno

I got a reply to my complaint today and was told(like above) I was free to cancel without incurring fees once I returned the phone. I dropped it in to a Meteor store with charger, box and headphones and the store rang cancellations to confirm I had returned it. They told me I was free to port from then and I ported back to Vodafone about an hour ago, got a free iphone. Just waiting for it to go through now.

I'm going to miss the hero as it's a brilliant handset and the android platform but I couldn't live with the unrealiability of the network. Cant believe I've followed the herd getting an iphone :( but I'm hoping for a reliable service and not getting a lecture from the missus everyday for being unavailable half the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

you iphone charlatans! you gave up! coulda got the android phone sim free from somewhere and got a nice monthly deal from o2 / vodafone. thats what im doing :P

rip meteor/android combo :(

• Advertisement

you iphone charlatans! you gave up! coulda got the android phone sim free from somewhere and got a nice monthly deal from o2 / vodafone. thats what im doing :P

rip meteor/android combo :(

I was thinking of doing that myself, but then I realised that I'd be paying thru the arsehole for both the handset AND the contract repayments.

The only thing bothering me about getting an iphone is the lack of multitasking apps/programs on the phone. Then again everything might run a bit smoother.

Oh the 18 month contract, thats not good either.

Still tho, I dunno what it is, but I enjoy having a phone that I can use as a phone.

Wonder why that is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I actually have a case open with Meteor at the minute (I've escalated to Operations Manager level at this stage) so I'll ask him today about this as part of the case involves goodwill/compensation for the ongoing issue I've had with them, and I asked him to push through an early upgrade to a Legend for me so this would affect me too.

Will let ye know what he says..

I've officially ported over to Vodafone now. Sorry to see my hero go. Like James I'm tied to 18 months with voda but they give you an upgrade after 12 months so hopefully they might have an all singing, all dancing htc android phone at that stage, maybe the evo :eek:

Ah well, iphone doesnt seem too bad so far, nowhere near as much control of the interface as the htc gives you though. :(

Good luck to all fighting Meteor. The more people kicking up a fuss and complaining, the more likely it is that a fix will be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 5euros

Hi,

I got the Legend on Saturday - I really love the phone. However on Monday I started to experience the dropped signal on the 2G/3G handshake as described on these forums:(. I'm really gutted because I don't want to have to send this phone back but it's beginning to look as if I will based on the feedback from Hero users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

I am having the same problem with the Hero. I rang Meteor today regarding the problems, I was told to switch the phone to the 2g network only mode as there is no difference between 2g and 3g (his words!). Meteor are appalling.

• Advertisement

I called down to FM Mobiles on Camden Street. The guy there was very helpful. He showed me how to switch to 2G:

HTC Legend
    Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Network Mode... just change this to GSM only from GSM / WCDMA auto.

He told me the connection should not drop and there will be better reception for voice.

He also told me that Meteor have only recently switched to 3G and they may have rushed this to market too quickly.

Anyway I'll be happy to keep to 3G for the time being if I can be guaranteed always on connectivity. Incidently since the switch down the signal strength is much stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

5euros wrote: »
    I called down to FM Mobiles on Camden Street. The guy there was very helpful. He showed me how to switch to 2G

Anyway I'll be happy to keep to 2G for the time being if I can be guaranteed always on connectivity. Incidently since the switch down the signal strength is much stronger.

This is one way of stopping to signal dropping but then you can't get 3g data speeds. Suppose it might not bother you depending on how much you use the net on your phone.

dmck wrote: »
    I am having the same problem with the Hero. I rang Meteor today regarding the problems, I was told to switch the phone to the 2g network only mode as there is no difference between 2g and 3g (his words!). Meteor are appalling.

I've done a little study regarding this as its pissing me off. If your screwed over its handy to know your rights. If I'm wrong feel free to point it out (with evidence, no need for a childish argument : Yes you are, no I'm not).

Here's what I've found
    You pay for the faster 3G connection, you your phone doesnt work on a 3G netwok.

Therefore,
    1. This product is not as described.
    2. This product is not of merchantable quality
    Under the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980, Meteor are obliged to offer a repair, replacement or refund.

Repair or replacement do not work. The problem still persists.

Meteor have started cancelling contracts without the cancellation fee due to the fact that the hero handset/meteor network or a combination of both are not working, and have not since day one.

This means they have admitted liability for the phone/network not working.

As customers we were not told this before purchasing or signing binding contracts. Buyer-Seller Contract is null and void. (Not meteor contract; i.e. use of their service).

So, these points cement the fact that without a total refund of the phone that you paid on day one, your statutory rights are being affected.

You are entitled to a full refund for your hero phone.

NOTE:
    • You are not required to return the faulty product by Irish Law. You are required to prove where you bought the phone. This is no problem if you are bill pay as meteor have all this info confirmed when you signed your contract.
    • The buyer-seller contract is null and void, excluding the services which you used (calls/data)
    I'm pretty sure I'm accurate with this info, cant find anything in the Irish Statute Book that goes against my points.

So, basically, I want my goddamn money back, €130 is a decent bit of money, and its a recession people :D

Get your money back James - should be pretty easy and if they won't give it back file a claim in the small claims court. Your points above will wrap the case up in as long as it takes to read that post.

Although I doubt meteor would contend the claim (if they refused to refund you!) and you will receive a default judgement. too right €130 is a whack of cash for something that never worked!! get on it man :)

Get your money back James - should be pretty easy and if they won't give it back file a claim in the small claims court. Your points above will wrap the case up in as long as it takes to read that post.

Although I doubt meteor would contend the claim (if they refused to refund you!) and you will receive a default judgement. too right €130 is a whack of cash for something that never worked!! get on it man :)

Haha I already am. Just waiting on a call back from the Cancellation Dept Manager. The O2 shop assitant, Meteor shop manager (both in Cresent shoppinfg centre limerick) as well as Susan (the australian meteor customer care operator I spoke too) and Caroline (the cancellation dept operator) all essentially said that they agree. I'm al fired up haha. small man fighting the corporation. :P

Small claims court is the next step alright, only €15 to lodge a claim. pretty easy.

I just want it sorted quickly cos the 3G dropping is happening alot more recently and at very inopportune times. I want to head on over to O2 and get my iPhone

Also, look at what I found from section 6, Sale of goods and supply of services act, 1980:

Penalties. 6.—(1) A person guilty of an offence under this Act shall be liable—
    [GA]( a ) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £500 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both the fine and the imprisonment, or
    [GA]( b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both the fine and the imprisonment.
    [GA](2) Where an offence under this Act which is committed by a body corporate or an unincorporated body of persons is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of, or to be attributable to any neglect on the part of, any person (or any person acting on his behalf) being a director, manager, secretary, member of the committee of management or other controlling authority of any such body or being any other similar officer of any such body, that person or the person so acting as the case may be shall also be guilty of that offence.

Link: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0006.html

I know meteor have read this particular thread, hope they see this too.

yeah i'd go for damages too for missed calls / undue stress / hassle :D

Kinda hope they don't give it to you so you can go down this route! haha ;)

Haha I think that would be pushing it. Just realised that my account is in credit by like a hundred euro cos there incorrectly charged me a few times. That'll clear my last bill with some extra.

Seriously tho, I'm not out to get free stuff, I just don't want to be brushed aside and screwed over all cos my phone doesnt work. Meteor have treated me fairly well so far. Took a hell of a long time to get the ball rolling but now its in full swing.

So is the legend definitley dropping reception now?

looks like it judging by the threads here. BUT I've 2 friends who I've told to notify me the moment it drops - they have yet to get back to me.

1 had the hero and had the problem then when legend came out he switched (was inside 14 days of buying the hero) - He 100% had the problem with the hero but hasn't dropped connection since he got the legend. Im still not conviced tho!

I also know a guy in work who has the hero since release and has never dropped a connection! he's a total techie too so make of that what you will!

James.m.c wrote: »
    So is the legend definitley dropping reception now?

Yes.

• Advertisement

I also know a guy in work who has the hero since release and has never dropped a connection! he's a total techie too so make of that what you will!

He probably has an unofficial ROM installed on it, apparently they dont have the dropped reception problem

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He probably has an unofficial ROM installed on it, apparently they dont have the dropped reception problem

oh they do :mad:

nope official Rom since he uses a Mac he can't flash :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    oh they do :mad:

Haha my bad. Still tho I think everyone who has that problem should all demand their money back en masse. They'd definitely sit up and notice then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,766 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I spoke to one of their Operations Managers yesterday about my unrelated issue and raised this with him as I'd like a Legend/Desire next.

He says they are aware of it and is to follow up with an update for me - I pointed him to this thread anyway.

He's supposed to have a resolution for my issue today so I'l follow up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 myles12

I had just got a hero with all the signal dropping difficulties. i talked meteor into giving me a legend replacement. it is gorgeous, but still has the same signal dropping, if anything it is worse than the hero, not as obviously displayed.
    I've done exactly the same thing. Just waiting on my call from the cancellation department. I wouldnt mind being upgraded to the legend to see how its working out, cos there's definitely something not right with either Meteor and/or the hero on meteor. I've tried an O2 sim in the hero and had no problem. Reinserted my (brand new) meteor sim and it dropped within the hour.

The problem has been known to be solved (UK; orange and t-mobile) with a rom update, which you cant get an official version in Ireland as you must input serial number of handset to download. Meteor can't provide this, and have been claiming to be working on it. The only reason I have to doubt them is that the hero still has problems and they've released a new android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Damn, really like the Legend but if calls are droping it be a major fault. Just wondering if its worth the risk????? I dont make the many calls but txt a lot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

The main problem with the network issues isn't so much dropping calls (I've had the Legend 2 weeks now, have never lost a call)

What is annoying is that you often don't notice when the phone has disconnected, your phone could be sitting in your pocket, or on your desk and decide to fall off the network if the 3G/2G handover glitch shows up

Once you spot it, it's easy to fix (I just set my phone to flight mode and back again, and it reconnects to the Meteor network), but it's easy to go unnoticed and miss lots of calls & texts.

A user called Davemie on the Meteor forums has come up with an android app to cause the phone to vibrate / alert you when the disconnect happens, which should prove useful for avoiding missing calls. More info here, he says he'll put it online tonight for public download.

Sad that users are volunteering to create utilities like this to deal with the network problems, while the network who are paid to provide 3G coverage won't even document the issue, let alone fix it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 myles12

app 'no signal alert' does the same thing and is available. also put aiplane mode widget on your home screen as you are going to be using it a lot. this is all very well, but the problem remains that meteor do not appear to support the phone they sell. what a pity as i said it is a seriously cool phone.

• Advertisement

DonFred wrote: »
    Damn, really like the Legend but if calls are droping it be a major fault. Just wondering if its worth the risk????? I dont make the many calls but txt a lot.....

Absolutely NOT worth the risk. I had the hero on meteor from November to last week and it just got to the stage where I wanted to throw the thing against the wall. The handset was pure class, and I've had a play around with the legend and it's lovely but do NOT get this handset until the issue is totally resolved.

Just my two cents anyway. I eventually had my contract cancelled with no fees as I challenged that they were not providing the service set out at the beginning of the contract :mad:

I miss my hero and android but the reliability of my iphone on vodafone is a breath of fresh air after the last few months.

Advertisement