Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's opinions of non-alcohol drinkers

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

i gave up 4 years ago..but i'm in the pub almost every day playing darts with my team...i get a lot of snide comments by the bar flies..who seem to think i've no right to frequent the pub if im not drinking..i've had numerous run in's regarding the tv..the line "sure you dont spend a penny here" why should you get to shoose the station..anyone who spends money here should get the first say...crap like this..

im delighted to be beer free the last 4 years..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Wrote this recently.
    Some of you might enjoy it and feel the same :)

Great post, really similar to my own view actually. Hope a few people read it and stop being so narrow-minded about non-drinkers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

As a 26 year old non drinker I relate to most of this! I still go out most weekends dancing like a fool etc :-)

One thing I learned two weeks ago however is that its not a good idea to drink soft drinks all night! I did this and I woke up with a major headache. Water all the way going forward; ha..

I actually can't dance, does moshing count? :P
    Once drank about 10 Cidonas (people kept buying me more!) and felt really nauseous going home. People wouldn't believe I hadn't been drinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

As I sit here typing, I am drinking an ice-cold bottle of a quality German pils.
    Why oh Why? do us Irish, have such an unhealthy fixation with alcohol?
    And before any of you ask, This one bottle of beer will be more than enough for me this evening.
    And a Glass of nice red wine, with a steak is one of lifes great and simple
    pleasures.
    Although I am irish myself, I have never quite understood out national obsession of "getting Hammered, Or having a session"
    I mean to use alcohol as an agent of oblivion, is one of the most stupid and bone-headed things an adult human, of even moderate intelligence can do.

I have been doing this same thing since I was 20..but still can't manage to go to a pub or party and not drink alcohol (even though I always drink in moderation - i never get ****-faced). I don't like that lack of control I have.

It's like being an alcoholic albeit not a destructive or messy or poor one.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lighterthought

i'd totally agree with everyone. I don't like to drink, plain and simple, but find that some groups of friends don't invite me out anymore, because they like to get loaded and all their "funny" stories is about the stupid crap they get up to when they're off their face. The sad thing is, they're really nice when sober, enough so that I'd like to keep up friendships with them, but it's so hard when drinking is their only means of socializing.

I find that a difficulty for someone in my age range (30ish). Drinking seems to be the big social thing, and although I could go out and not drink, I just find going to bars/clubs really, really boring. But how else would people socialize in Ireland?
    Luckily, I have an amazing husband who shares my views, and other really great friends who have dinner parties or go to the cinema etc. But do you have to cut out the friends who only want to drink outside of work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Drinking seems to be the big social thing, and although I could go out and not drink, I just find going to bars/clubs really, really boring. But how else would people socialize in Ireland?

Sports. Great social aspect to clubs, real sense of camaraderie at competetive level. Plus its filled with healthy attractive people that you already have something in common with and not drunk munters caked in makeup trying to tell you about their job :)

Actually I find people give you a lot less stick if you tell them you would like to drink but you cant because of sports.
    Maybe its similar to not feeling so bad if someone else obviously has a worse hangover than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Aidan1985

I only started drinking this year and I'm 26. I use to have a chip on my shoulder about drink and that. Kinda felt like I was better than others. But I decided to try it and I really enjoy going out now. I used to hate nightclubs but now I can enjoy them and I love the buzz of going out with my friends. Without drink, I'm a happy person. Drinking is just one aspect of my life. So for anyone who never has tried it and are thinking about it, there's no harm once you are responsible about it. Just enjoy life the way you want to without causing harm and upsetting people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Aidan1985 wrote: »
    I only started drinking this year and I'm 26. I use to have a chip on my shoulder about drink and that. Kinda felt like I was better than others. But I decided to try it and I really enjoy going out now. I used to hate nightclubs but now I can enjoy them and I love the buzz of going out with my friends. Without drink, I'm a happy person. Drinking is just one aspect of my life. So for anyone who never has tried it and are thinking about it, there's no harm once you are responsible about it. Just enjoy life the way you want to without causing harm and upsetting people.

Good advice there :)

Advertisement