Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's opinions of non-alcohol drinkers

Options
  • 26-03-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

I gave up the stuff a few years back due to fact that it was murder on my belly.

However when the topic of booze or going out to night clubs etc comes up in a conversation I get looked at with ten heads when I say I don't drink at all.

A lot of people will just react like "Ah shur you're better off! Wish I had your willpower!" but others will not wanna continue talking or get in your face about it. It's almost like a people don't trust a non-drinker or assume they're boring and/or something wrong with them.

Has anyone else gotten this kinda of reaction off of people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Personally, I'm in the fortunate position that my real friends are non-drinkers as well.
    I have been out with drinkers and tell them I'm not drinking, I don't get into a big discussion about why, and very few ever persue it.
    People are not as interested as you would think as to wheather we drink or not., unless they feel that we are being preachy and judgemental towards them.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

C_Dawg wrote: »
    I gave up the stuff a few years back due to fact that it was murder on my belly.

However when the topic of booze or going out to night clubs etc comes up in a conversation I get looked at with ten heads when I say I don't drink at all.

A lot of people will just react like "Ah shur you're better off! Wish I had your willpower!" but others will not wanna continue talking or get in your face about it. It's almost like a people don't trust a non-drinker or assume they're boring and/or something wrong with them.

Has anyone else gotten this kinda of reaction off of people?

This reaction is common for 18-30 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

well did you loose that belly after giving up. how soon did it deflate? would be one of the only reasons I would give up to till my abs at least shown which I havent seen since I was a wee lad. I only drink the weekends myself fri/sat the usual, however I would have a skinfull of 8 pints a night which I think is a lot by anyones standards. trying to cut back but ive been doing it since ive been a wee lad, its like second nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Westwood wrote: »
    well did you loose that belly after giving up. how soon did it deflate? would be one of the only reasons I would give up to till my abs at least shown which I havent seen since I was a wee lad. I only drink the weekends myself fri/sat the usual, however I would have a skinfull of 8 pints a night which I think is a lot by anyones standards. trying to cut back but ive been doing it since ive been a wee lad, its like second nature.

It really depends on how bad it is. One of my mates had a savage gut (about a foot!) and he's been off the sauce a year now and still has a considerable gut.

Mine is pretty much gone now and I have a 4 pack. the lower 2 abs are not showing yet as there's a tiny bit of fat hanging around but that will soon disappear when I get my overall bodyfat percentage down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Westwood wrote: »
    well did you loose that belly after giving up. how soon did it deflate?

Nah still a fat bastard here hahah :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

My mum doesn't trust teetotalers. Ian Paisley is one. Being her son I'm the sole exception. For my own part I couldn't care less what people think of me as a teetotaler.

I'm not ashamed of being a teetotaler, actually I'm proud of the fact that I'm not a sheep like those drunken idiots who've destroyed this world.

Just started the thread to see what other reactions people have gotten

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

Yeah I got that same reaction alright when I went of the sauce for a bit for training purposes.

I actually went out less to avoid having to explain to people over and over why I wasn't drinking.

The reaction of people, to what I thought was completely insignificant, shocked me.

You'd swear I'd caught the blasted plague the way some were going on.

I'd drink occasionally now, but jesus, I know what you're on about mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Avoision is the way to go <I know that's not a real word btw>

When i get the dreaded "errr....what are you drinking?", I just tell them 'Oh, I'm driving tonight'. Then I chuckle to myself cos my house is more central than most of the taxi ranks! It's a nasty question like. One of these days, I'll come back with 'None of your business'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ria2

I get it all the time! Very very annoying! I spent my first year and a lot of second year and even now sometimes in my third year in college explaining why I don't drink...

I get sooooo fed up of it! So I end up just not explaining properly and then people think I'm judging them. I totally get ya man...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

cantdecide wrote: »
    When i get the dreaded "errr....what are you drinking?", I just tell them 'Oh, I'm driving tonight'.
    I'm drinking a tall glass of shut the fxck up!

On the rocks, with lemon.

:)

unreggd wrote: »

Haha well put buttie :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ballygowan2L

unreggd wrote: »

Are u tryin to be sarcastic!! shut de fxck up is to be drank straight if ur a man at all!!! Drink up boy, drink up!! Jaysus, lifes short, live it up!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Totally know how you feel mate.
    the strangest was a few weeks back when i was out on a date, this girl had a **** attack when i told her i didnt drink.
    That was her sole reason for not wanting to see me again.

Her loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I respect all people so I have no problem at all with non drinker (why would/could I? :) )

Anyway, I recently had a bad, bad exp when I got too drunk so I am thinking of laying off the drink for a while now and see what happens (I may even stay off it for life)

I've only been drinking two years but I've had many a bad/embarassing or just depressing night because of alcohol, and the morning after, well, that's another story

I just wouldn't like it if someone didn't drink just so they could try and make a statement or take a moral high ground (acting better than someone because they don't drink etc), imo that's just stupid

In my group of friends I know if I stop drinking I will get so many slags =[

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

I think anyone who can enjoy a social life without drink deserves respect. I envy anyone who does it.
    I for one would find it hard to break my weekend routine of a few pints even though I know my wallet would be heavier and my health would thank me if I was to abstain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Totally know how you feel mate.
    the strangest was a few weeks back when i was out on a date, this girl had a **** attack when i told her i didnt drink.
    That was her sole reason for not wanting to see me again.

Her loss

had that reaction from a girl I was out with once. I listened to her go on and on about blokes who drank then treated her bad and then I said I didn't drink and to that she said that she cant trust non drinkers. :eek:

In my own humble opinion most drinkers don't trust non drinkers because they may feel that they can be taken advantage off. Then again when I was out on the town I was always weary of going home with drunk girls and would often just give them my number rather than have to face the next morning of " who are you?" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Floppybits wrote: »
    had that reaction from a girl I was out with once. I listened to her go on and on about blokes who drank then treated her bad and then I said I didn't drink and to that she said that she cant trust non drinkers. :eek:

In my own humble opinion most drinkers don't trust non drinkers because they may feel that they can be taken advantage off. Then again when I was out on the town I was always weary of going home with drunk girls and would often just give them my number rather than have to face the next morning of " who are you?" :o

Sad fecking state of affairs isn't it? Judging a person to be untrustworthy because they choose not to ply themselves with drinks that make them irresponsible and incoherent and have a terrible effect on their bodies. As frustrating as it is, Ye're better off without these people, they will only want to drag you down to their level. Any person who doesn't like you enough as a person to deal with you sober aint worth knowing. It may not feel like it, but it is their loss.

I've only recently quit and coming from an extremely heavy drinkers perspective, I would say I "Don't trust non drinkers" or people who didn't get as smashed as me not because they would take advantage etc, but because they didn't need drink to socialize. They HAD to have been aliens or something because everyone else I'd ever known including (especially) myself damn sure did.
    I just wouldn't like it if someone didn't drink just so they could try and make a statement or take a moral high ground (acting better than someone because they don't drink etc), imo that's just stupid

As a recent non drinker this is something I'd never do. I'd love to be able to enjoy a few pints but it's just not for me. That said, I still despise drunks when I'm sober. Horrid people :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bassfish wrote: »
    Sad fecking state of affairs isn't it? Judging a person to be untrustworthy because they choose not to ply themselves with drinks that make them irresponsible and incoherent and have a terrible effect on their bodies. As frustrating as it is, Ye're better off without these people, they will only want to drag you down to their level. Any person who doesn't like you enough as a person to deal with you sober aint worth knowing. It may not feel like it, but it is their loss.

It sure is a sad state of affairs. I have never ever drank so I don't know what its like to be drunk or have a hangover. I can still go out and enjoy myself and I'm not one of these preacher types that says no one should drink. It is people decision to drink and I am fine with that, just wish some folks could be fine with the fact that I don't drink. I have to say at no time was there any pressure from my mates to the drink, they just accepted that I decided I didn't want to do it and that's that.

What I find is that if you are in the company of folks who are not really your mates, such as say work colleagues, friends of friends that they are ones who look for a reason why you don't drink and cant seem to understand that you never wanted to drink.

People seem to find it easier to accept your a non drinker if you can say well I am alcoholic, or I had to give it up for medical reasons rather just saying I never drank because I didn't want to and it never appealed to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

I have the utmost respect for non-drinkers. I am a drinker and I know a few people who don't drink and I have seen them getting a lot of stick for not drinking. I cannot understand why some people think that you have to drink to enjoy yourself. I have gone out on many occasions and not drank and I feel so much better about it the next day.

I am considering giving up booze for a number of reasons; health, wealth and another personal reason.

I know my real friends would be grand with my decision but I really don't want to have to face the bullsh1t from other people who think like apes and cannot respect a person's decision to not drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

When you say that you don't drink it's obvious that some people think that you are a dry****e or that you are totally up yourself. Some people actually challenge you...manys a time I've had to explain that I'm not a religious freak/goody-goody/etc but I just don't like drinking. There's a huge stigma attatched to it especially because I'm still in my teens. I dont feel any pressure to drink 'cause I'm pretty confident in myself, it's just that I hate when people assusme that I'm boring 'cause I don't :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

FredBaby! wrote: »
    When you say that you don't drink it's obvious that some people think that you are a dry****e or that you are totally up yourself. Some people actually challenge you...manys a time I've had to explain that I'm not a religious freak/goody-goody/etc but I just don't like drinking. There's a huge stigma attatched to it especially because I'm still in my teens. I dont feel any pressure to drink 'cause I'm pretty confident in myself, it's just that I hate when people assusme that I'm boring 'cause I don't :mad:

Fair play to you for sticking to your decision. I completely agree with everything you say and the way people jump to conclusions when you decide not to drink. But its all part of the culture we live in and I don't see it ever changing.

I don't mind people being curious and asking why I don't drink; but it just frustrates me when people try to make you have a drink or keep asking you to have a drink etc.

I was out one night a few weeks ago and someone went as low as throwing a vodka into my soft drink would you believe thinking I didn't see them. I didn't give them the satisfaction of giving out to them and just pretended I didn't see it and left the drink behind. All part of the life of a non drinking in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Fair play to you for sticking to your decision. I completely agree with everything you say and the way people jump to conclusions when you decide not to drink. But its all part of the culture we live in and I don't see it ever changing.

I don't mind people being curious and asking why I don't drink; but it just frustrates me when people try to make you have a drink or keep asking you to have a drink etc.

I was out one night a few weeks ago and someone went as low as throwing a vodka into my soft drink would you believe thinking I didn't see them. I didn't give them the satisfaction of giving out to them and just pretended I didn't see it and left the drink behind. All part of the life of a non drinking in Ireland!

That's unbelievable, what if you didn't realise it a you went to drive home a get breathalized. You're a better person than me, i would have taken their head off. That is dispicable, i don't know if it was a friend or what but i wouldn't even associate with someone who would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Bassfish wrote: »
    That's unbelievable, what if you didn't realise it a you went to drive home a get breathalized. You're a better person than me, i would have taken their head off. That is dispicable, i don't know if it was a friend or what but i wouldn't even associate with someone who would do that.

Same exact thing happened to me. I actually drank it and didn't taste the vodka. They did know I wouldn't be driving. There were a bunch of them in cahoots. I just shrugged it off. They felt bad when they realized I just thought it was idiotic and didn't think there was a funny side to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

As I sit here typing, I am drinking an ice-cold bottle of a quality German pils.
    Why oh Why? do us Irish, have such an unhealthy fixation with alcohol?
    And before any of you ask, This one bottle of beer will be more than enough for me this evening.
    And a Glass of nice red wine, with a steak is one of lifes great and simple
    pleasures.
    Although I am irish myself, I have never quite understood out national obsession of "getting Hammered, Or having a session"
    I mean to use alcohol as an agent of oblivion, is one of the most stupid and bone-headed things an adult human, of even moderate intelligence can do.

Now while I have the greatest respect and admiration, of the people who admit they do have a drink-problem, and seek help for their affliction.
    And while alcoholics are either on or off "The Wagon"
    Where I ask, does that leave the rest of us???

Now while I do not wish to pontificate to anyone, there is a third way. I guess it's the road less travelled, "at least by us Irish anyway"
    This Is the way of the moderate drinker, the middle path between tetotalisim and binge-drinking.
    For instance I was stopped at a garda checkpoint, sometime last year, while returning home after a nights drinking with some friends.
    I was breathalized, and registered a ZERO reading on their machine despite
    having four pints of Shandy, that evening.

Later on, I will lie awake in my bed listening to the drink fuelled antics raging in the street until 4am. We have a sick society, sick from alcohol and it's effects. Meanwhile our government rakes in the money on alcohol duty. So it's pointless expecting our useless and corrupt government, to do anything about the problem.

It's time us adults take personal responsibility, for our drink soaked culture.
    We are not children anymore, "we need to grow up" As a nation. The church won't save us, indeed they are a huge part of the problem as to why most older people can't express themselves without alcohol.

So enjoy that nice German beer, or the odd glass of red wine.
    But don't for one second think, it gives you an excuse to act like a total moron. If you act like a moron, after a few drinks, you were a moron before you started drinking.

Peace and Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Surferdude,

Thats the best post I saw in a long time. I'm just in a chipper now getting my chips after a few soft drinks. I could write a book on the things I see out and the things people say to me when I say I don't drink. I was chatting up a girl a few weeks ago in a club, when I said I didn't drink (she noticed I had a soft drink, as I try not to make a deal about not drinking) she asked have I drink problem!! Bloody crazy. Typical ignorant question you would only get asked in Ireland. Right I'm going to eat these chips; god I love not drinking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

If you act like a moron, after a few drinks, you were a moron before you started drinking.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

Quote SurferDude41

"So enjoy that nice German beer, or the odd glass of red wine.
    But don't for one second think, it gives you an excuse to act like a total moron. If you act like a moron, after a few drinks, you were a moron before you started drinking".

Peace and Love.[/QUOTE]

Nice one but it's not quite as simple as you make it....

Alcohol allergy symptoms – Symptoms of alcohol allergy; what they mean
    Published: Jun 20th, 2010 | Author: admin Add Comment

Alcohol allergy symptoms will produce an almost immediate negative reaction after drinking an alcoholic drink.

http://ageactionireland.com/alcohol-allergy-symptoms-symptoms-of-alcohol-allergy-what-they-mean/

Also don't forget...

Psychiatric symptoms

Long term misuse of alcohol can cause a wide range of mental health problems. Severe cognitive problems are not uncommon; approximately 10 percent of all dementia cases are related to alcohol consumption, making it the second leading cause of dementia.[47] Excessive alcohol use causes damage to brain function, and psychological health can be increasingly affected over time.[48] Psychiatric disorders are common in alcoholics, with as many as 25 percent suffering severe psychiatric disturbances. The most prevalent psychiatric symptoms are anxiety and depression disorders. Psychiatric symptoms usually initially worsen during alcohol withdrawal, but typically improve or disappear with continued abstinence.[49] Psychosis, confusion, and organic brain syndrome may be caused by alcohol misuse, which can lead to a misdiagnosis such as schizophrenia.[50] Panic disorder can develop or worsen as a direct result of long term alcohol misuse.[51][52]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_alcoholism#Psychiatric_symptoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

seensensee wrote:
    Nice one but it's not quite as simple as you make it....

Alcohol allergy symptoms – Symptoms of alcohol allergy; what they mean

Published: Jun 20th, 2010 | Author: admin Add Comment

Alcohol allergy symptoms will produce an almost immediate negative reaction after drinking an alcoholic drink.

http://ageactionireland.com/alcohol-...hat-they-mean/

Also don't forget...

Psychiatric symptoms

Long term misuse of alcohol can cause a wide range of mental health problems. Severe cognitive problems are not uncommon; approximately 10 percent of all dementia cases are related to alcohol consumption, making it the second leading cause of dementia.[47] Excessive alcohol use causes damage to brain function, and psychological health can be increasingly affected over time.[48] Psychiatric disorders are common in alcoholics, with as many as 25 percent suffering severe psychiatric disturbances. The most prevalent psychiatric symptoms are anxiety and depression disorders. Psychiatric symptoms usually initially worsen during alcohol withdrawal, but typically improve or disappear with continued abstinence.[49] Psychosis, confusion, and organic brain syndrome may be caused by alcohol misuse, which can lead to a misdiagnosis such as schizophrenia.[50] Panic disorder can develop or worsen as a direct result of long term alcohol misuse.[51][52]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic...atric_symptoms

But those links are about alcohol ALLERGY and the psychological feects of alcohol misuse. Surferdude was talking about moderate drinking, same as with moderate chocolate eating. I know people who are severely allergic to chocolate and would suffer the same symptoms after eating that a person allergic to alcohol would suffer after a drink, and I also know people who are obese because they're addicted to chocolate. That's not to say everyone should stop eating mars bars!

Advertisement