Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi all,
    My baby is 8 months. I am really hoping to work maybe 7 days when he is 9.5-10 months. I will be away from him from 8-4ish. Would I be ok pumping once at lunch? After this I won’t be going back to work until he is one.....will my supply sort itself out?
    the 7 days will be wed-fri then I will be off Saturday and Sunday then working mon-thurs.
    Thanks a million.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I went back to work full time when my son was 8 months - one good pumping session at lunchtime and a feed ASAP when we got home was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Millem wrote: »
    Hi all,
    My baby is 8 months. I am really hoping to work maybe 7 days when he is 9.5-10 months. I will be away from him from 8-4ish. Would I be ok pumping once at lunch? After this I won’t be going back to work until he is one.....will my supply sort itself out?
    the 7 days will be wed-fri then I will be off Saturday and Sunday then working mon-thurs.
    Thanks a million.

Millem, I came back to work last week, 5 days. Baby is 9.5 months. I (sometimes) pump once in the day, and leave milk for the minder. He takes the bottle, but doesn’t need it really. I thought she’d need it to get him to sleep, but they seem to be managing sleep ok too. I had some milk in the freezer, so I’ve given that the other days when I didn’t pump, but I’m going to start pumping every day now. It’s just a pain!
    Depending on his feeding patterns, you might need to pump more for comfort, but my little guy was feeding very little by day anyhow, so I’ve been ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I went back when baba was six months but only part-time. I was away 8.30-5.30 and I pumped once at lunch. I would also feed right before I left and as soon as I got home. We managed fine.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thanks a million.

Millem, I came back to work last week, 5 days. Baby is 9.5 months. I (sometimes) pump once in the day, and leave milk for the minder. He takes the bottle, but doesn’t need it really. I thought she’d need it to get him to sleep, but they seem to be managing sleep ok too. I had some milk in the freezer, so I’ve given that the other days when I didn’t pump, but I’m going to start pumping every day now. It’s just a pain!
    Depending on his feeding patterns, you might need to pump more for comfort, but my little guy was feeding very little by day anyhow, so I’ve been ok.
    our guy won’t take a bottle but I am hoping he might when the time comes!! He takes a beaker.
    I will see how much free time I have while I am there!! Fingers crossed all goes ok and I will be able to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭scarepanda

our guy won’t take a bottle but I am hoping he might when the time comes!! He takes a beaker.
    I will see how much free time I have while I am there!! Fingers crossed all goes ok and I will be able to do it!

Would you not just put expressed milk into the beaker?

My last little guy was the same age when I went back and he had no milk in the same window and was fine. If you’re worried about his milk intake you can always make his food up with it, but I wouldn’t be worried at that age! He’ll be fine on a beaker if water and solids.
    But you might need the comfort of pumping for yourself!

scarepanda wrote: »
    Would you not just put expressed milk into the beaker?

Of course! I will pump during my breaks ;)
    I was just wondering if pumping once would be enough? I don’t know how much spare time I will have until maybe a week before I start.
    He feeds more than once in the time frame I will be away from him.

My last little guy was the same age when I went back and he had no milk in the same window and was fine. If you’re worried about his milk intake you can always make his food up with it, but I wouldn’t be worried at that age! He’ll be fine on a beaker if water and solids.

I just hope to God I get a suitable place to pump!!

He is teething like mad at the moment and drinking less during the day but feeding at least twice during the might :(

I just hope to God I get a suitable place to pump!!

He is teething like mad at the moment and drinking less during the day but feeding at least twice during the might :(

Oh stop, I don’t know how many times a night this dude feeds. His sleep has improved a small bit lately (and by that I mean, I can settle him in his cot by 10.30), but he usually wakes around the time I go to bed, and I’ll settle him back in the cot, but the next time he wakes he’s into our bed.
    I don’t mind the night waking, but I would LOVE if I could get him down a bit earlier, like when the older two go at 8.30. The couple of hours in the evening would make a big difference to my quality of life!

• Advertisement

Oh stop, I don’t know how many times a night this dude feeds. His sleep has improved a small bit lately (and by that I mean, I can settle him in his cot by 10.30), but he usually wakes around the time I go to bed, and I’ll settle him back in the cot, but the next time he wakes he’s into our bed.
    I don’t mind the night waking, but I would LOVE if I could get him down a bit earlier, like when the older two go at 8.30. The couple of hours in the evening would make a big difference to my quality of life!

Don’t know how you do it! My big problem is older boy wakes at stupid o clock! This morning ot was 5.30 am :(
    He wakes the whole house up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ggg16

Mother to a 14 month old here. Working fulltime. He wakes twice a night minimum still. All going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lainey_b01

Hi All, apologies if I am asking questions that have already been addressed

I'm a FTM with a beautiful 15week old boy who doesn't like napping! I am stressing myself out with conflicting Google advise so would love some real Mammy/Daddy insight. His sleep at night has regressed but hoping that will resolve itself

1) He recently started sleeping on the boob during the day. I then transfer him to his cot/bassenet. Am i creating a negative sleep association? He would also fall sleep on boob most nights.

2) I keep reading that baby should be able to self sooth from 3months. Is this reality? He is nowhere close. Always has been in our arm's to fall as aside from carcseat.

3) Naps rarely go beyond 40minutrs. Because of self soothing issue he won't go back asleep. I've tried Go going into him and placing hand on his chest to reassure him but instead i get loads of smiles ends energy bunny! How can I prolong this.

3) anyone recommend milkmeg sleep book

TIA a tired Mammy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Please do not worry about feeding him to sleep. Three months is very young to self-soothe - most babies learn this much later. Feeding to sleep is one of the biggest advantages of breastfeeding so I wouldn’t worry about that. Take all advice from google with a big pinch of salt!

We also had a 40 minute napper at that age and I could never work out how to lengthen it. Some people swear by feeding them back to sleep - I think you’re supposed to pick them up just before they’d usually wake from the nap and put them on the boob to settle them back into a more comfortable sleep... and maybe another 40 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Lainey_b01 wrote: »
    Hi All, apologies if I am asking questions that have already been addressed

I'm a FTM with a beautiful 15week old boy who doesn't like napping! I am stressing myself out with conflicting Google advise so would love some real Mammy/Daddy insight. His sleep at night has regressed but hoping that will resolve itself

1) He recently started sleeping on the boob during the day. I then transfer him to his cot/bassenet. Am i creating a negative sleep association? He would also fall sleep on boob most nights.

2) I keep reading that baby should be able to self sooth from 3months. Is this reality? He is nowhere close. Always has been in our arm's to fall as aside from carcseat.

3) Naps rarely go beyond 40minutrs. Because of self soothing issue he won't go back asleep. I've tried Go going into him and placing hand on his chest to reassure him but instead i get loads of smiles ends energy bunny! How can I prolong this.

3) anyone recommend milkmeg sleep book

TIA a tired Mammy

I wouldnt worry although it is very tiring. I tried all the techniques dark room etc and nothing worked. I gave a bottle at lunch and at night and this got him to sleep for 2/3 hours during the day but not every day.
    Are you exclusively breastfeeding?
    I found he would fall asleep on me and the minute i put him to the cot he would wake up.

Hes jist over 3 months now but about 3 weeks ago he started doing 3 hours a day for me which is pretty good.

I suppose its all about them trying to settle and regulate themself so maybe give it time ? How are they sleeping at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just follow babies lead and give it time. My lads were taking 40 minute naps at that age too. Now they take two hour naps and I did nothing to encourage that. They will also begging to stay asleep when you put them down soon too. Everything sounds normal to me. Just enjoy the snuggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Hi all, I’m delighted this was asked as my little girl is very similar! She’s been a good sleeper since about 3/4 weeks old generally waking once between 10pm and 8 am most nights even doing 7-9 hour stretches some nights!

Like Lainey my LO isn’t a great Napper! She generally falls asleep on the boob, fast asleep won’t burp and then I put her into her cot! Where in the next 20 mins she would wake up either needing a burp or spewing in her bed! Then she’s up till next nap! But is wrecked and in bad form! What I’ve started doing is giving her a big feed when she wakes up first thing in the morning and then after every nap! Then she still feeds to go asleep but only for like 2-5 minutes as she’s only doing it for comfort ( I know I should stop that but one step at a time!) she then seems to sleep for longer on her naps! Which leads to better naps and over night sleep! Now I only started it 3 days ago.. but so far so good! :)

My baby is 16 weeks today!

As for babies who go down awake I’d love if my LO did that but I’m not tough to listen to her cry!! My friends baby is 10 days younger and she goes down for her naps and bedtime awake and sleeps well! Some babies will do it and maybe some won’t!

My baby has no set routine should I start working on that or will she fall into one herself naturally?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

How could doing what is natural create a negative sleep association?! 15 weeks old is very young. Your baby wants and needs your comfort to help him get to sleep and that is just natural and normal.

Try not to compare to others. Every baby is different and everyone's parenting styles are different. Some people spend a lot of time and effort trying to get their baby to "self soothe" and to sleep for as long as possible as early as they can. I find that if you stop thinking about it like that, just relax and go with your baby's natural pattern and cues, it will be so much easier on both you and your baby.

As fits said, just follow your own baby's lead. He'll do it in his own time and, until then, just remember you're not giving him bad habits, you're just giving him what he needs at this stage of his life.

As fits also said, enjoy the snuggles! Some day, eventually, he won't want or need you to help him sleep. The time goes fast so enjoy every feed he has.

Don't worry about the 40 minute naps. Babies' sleep cycles tend to go in about 40-45 minute blocks. If you catch him when he starts stirring you could pick him up and try to feed him back to sleep for another 40 minutes. If it doesn't work and he's wide awake, don't stress about it.

My baby had a rough time of naps at around that age and is very settled now. Everything settles with time so relax and let him do what he needs to do. Eventually you may get 80-90 minute naps and then later 120-130 minutes, but it depends on your baby when that happens so try not to set goals based on what you read online.

I'd advise you to steer clear of Google and try and get to a breastfeeding group. And remember that you're doing great and that you're the one who knows what's best for your baby!

Thanks everyone for your reassuring replies. Much less of a stress head tonight

Pocos & Fitz - when your babies taking the shorter nap did you try get them down for more naps in the day instead of 3/4? I feel like I've been locked indoors today feeding, trying to get him for nap, napping & repeating so to work up to 3hrs daily total for naps.

Pocos, it's totally up to you what you prefer to do in terms of a routine. Some mums need to establish a routine that fits in with their daily lives. Others do everything baby led. I'd advise that if you can.

I've never made any attempt to create a routine as I just go by my baby's cues and she has established her own routine herself. It changed when she went from 4 naps to 3 and then from 3 naps to 2 but she decided all of it. Her naps were a bit all over the place during the transition periods but fairly settled in between. She's 13 months old now and I could nearly set the clock by her!

I've also never made any attempt to get her to self soothe, fall asleep without my help or sleep through the night but she's gradually starting to do those of her own accord now. She still loves to feed to sleep but she also sometimes chooses to just lie beside me and she hums along while I sing until she drifts off. Sometimes she wakes at night and just checks that I'm there next to her and goes right back asleep herself.

There are some mums at my breastfeeding group with babies way younger than mine and they can just put them into the pram awake and they'll go to sleep. Mine would never do that in a million years! Others have babies way older than mine who still need much more help sleeping than mine does. It just shows, you can't compare them as they're all so different! I think one of the best things I've done is to not have any expectations. If you were to go by what other babies do you'd be so stressed!

• Advertisement

If you just have one baby, stick him in the buggy and let him have a good nap while you’re out and about. It’s great if baby will nap in the cot for you, but one of my kids never would. Just do what you need to do!

If you just have one baby, stick him in the buggy and let him have a good nap while you’re out and about. It’s great if baby will nap in the cot for you, but one of my kids never would. Just do what you need to do!

This was my napping go to up until last 2weeks. Think he just far too nosy and wants so see what going on around him. We started using the seat post of buggy but now to much d distraction around for him to sleep !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Pocos & Fitz - when your babies taking the shorter nap did you try get them down for more naps in the day instead of 3/4? I feel like I've been locked indoors today feeding, trying to get him for nap, napping & repeating so to work up to 3hrs daily total for naps.

My guideline for my son (16 weeks) is to try to make sure he’s only awake for 1.5 hours at a time because anything longer than this he’s just wreaked and over tired. Sometimes he could sleep for 20 mins and sometimes for 2 hours then.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

To be honest I kinda used watch out for cues of tiredness and if she needed a nap I let her sleep! But probably never did more than 4 naps a day! But last week when baby was 15 weeks her naps and night sleep was a bit sporadic so maybe it’s a growth week or something!

The whole 3 hour a day total naps I dunno about! Take Monday, total day time naps 3 hours 20 mins, baby slept all night! Yesterday baby slept 5 hours total with naps so you’d think she would sleep great again but no, 3am and we are up! She hasn’t been up before 4am in about 5 weeks! So I dunno anymore did I let her over sleep yesterday??? Who knows anymore?

I think up till 6 months I’m just gonna be baby led... after that I’m back to work at 7.5 months so I’ll try get some order to her day if she isn’t already in one!
    Fingers crossed she gets into her own little rhythm!

Any advice on passing wind? LO always wakes herself up either passing wind or going to the bathroom? She never seems hungry.. I feed her as it’s the quickest way to get her asleep! Does anyone else’s baby suffer from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

This was my napping go to up until last 2weeks. Think he just far too nosy and wants so see what going on around him. We started using the seat post of buggy but now to much d distraction around for him to sleep !

My lad was the same with being so nosy gawking everywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

donkey10 wrote: »
    My lad was the same with being so nosy gawking everywhere!!

I’ve a nosy baby too. If my husband is even in the room he won’t feed because he just wants to stare at his daddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

My two took a two hour nap today at the same time!!! Amazing. They were in sync when on two naps for a few months but it’s been all over the place since Christmas as one moved to one nap sooner than the other. Hope they will go back in sync now.

My 8 month old is teething like mad. First tooth has started coming up!
    For the last few days it felt kind of sore feeding him...like his latch felt “tight” and sucking very strong. I don’t know if I am even describing it properly!!!
    Today it seems all back to normal....any advice if it happens again? Thanks a mil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Becks610

My 8 month old is teething like mad. First tooth has started coming up!
    For the last few days it felt kind of sore feeding him...like his latch felt “tight” and sucking very strong. I don’t know if I am even describing it properly!!!
    Today it seems all back to normal....any advice if it happens again? Thanks a mil :)

The same thing happened with my nearly 7 month old a month ago- it happened on and off for a few days before the 2 bottom teeth showed. Her latch was sore- I noticed she would sometimes clamp down on me- that was my biggest worry getting bitten so I just watched for the warnin pg signs and put on bonjela half an hour before she fed. Once the teeth come up it will go away.

• Advertisement

My baby sometimes clamps a little bit when she's teething. It doesn't happen while she's actively feeding. It's more when she's starting to fall asleep on the breast. I just latch her off when she does it. I always know she's teething when it happens because she never does it otherwise.

I also find that every time my baby gets another tooth her latch goes funny for a couple of days but it goes back to normal once she gets used to the new tooth being there.

Advertisement