Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

First baby, period came back after a year.
    This baby, period came back after 5 months. :(
    And it's visiting every two weeks, yay. NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lucuma wrote: »
    I decided to start using the washable breast pads due to guilt over the rain forests. Am I missing something or are they really crap? Nothing to stick them in place so they easily move resulting in bra getting soaked and there's no soakage in them compared to the non-disposable ones?
    Yep. I only use them during the day, they never work at night. And definitely not in baby's first 6 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Lucuma wrote:
    I decided to start using the washable breast pads due to guilt over the rain forests. Am I missing something or are they really crap? Nothing to stick them in place so they easily move resulting in bra getting soaked and there's no soakage in them compared to the non-disposable ones?

I started using them for my second baby. I use the little lamb ones. The side to go against the bra is rougher and tends to stay in place. Also I find absorbency fine night and day. They had to be washed a few times first to gain their absorbency. What type do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

bovril wrote: »
    Lucuma wrote:

I started using them for my second baby. I use the little lamb ones. The side to go against the bra is rougher and tends to stay in place. Also I find absorbency fine night and day. They had to be washed a few times first to gain their absorbency. What type do you use?

Avent. The amount of money I've given Mr. Philips at this stage! :O
    Ok hopefully the absorbency might improve after washing them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Lucuma wrote:
    Avent. The amount of money I've given Mr. Philips at this stage! Ok hopefully the absorbency might improve after washing them so.

I'm not sure what they're made of but some of the fabric ones need to be washed a good few times for them to be at max absorbency. They are a bit like bath towels like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ladies... I need some urgent advice.

The freezer door was left slightly ajar this morning. Only after realising it there now. I'm so annoyed, had 15oz built up over the last few days some of which I was to bring with me to a wedding this weekend.

So question's....

1)some of the milk nearest the door of the fridge thawed fully, while the rest of it had started to thaw. Is it OK to bottle feed this to my little girl over the next few hours?
    2) considering the door has been ajar since about 8am would you start the clock at that time and throw out what ever she hasn't taken by 8am tomorrow morning? She only gets random bottles so I don't actually know what she takes over a 24hr period.
    3) I also presume it will be OK to feed her the bottle and express at those times to a) keep my supply and b) build up a small bit of a supply again for the freezer. (Was planning to use the milk for the wedding but also during the week so that I could get to hairdresser etc and my OH could look after her)

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

scarepanda wrote: »
    Ladies... I need some urgent advice.

The freezer door was left slightly ajar this morning. Only after realising it there now. I'm so annoyed, had 15oz built up over the last few days some of which I was to bring with me to a wedding this weekend.

So question's....

1)some of the milk nearest the door of the fridge thawed fully, while the rest of it had started to thaw. Is it OK to bottle feed this to my little girl over the next few hours?
    2) considering the door has been ajar since about 8am would you start the clock at that time and throw out what ever she hasn't taken by 8am tomorrow morning? She only gets random bottles so I don't actually know what she takes over a 24hr period.
    3) I also presume it will be OK to feed her the bottle and express at those times to a) keep my supply and b) build up a small bit of a supply again for the freezer. (Was planning to use the milk for the wedding but also during the week so that I could get to hairdresser etc and my OH could look after her)

Thanks a million

Hope this isn't too late but according to the kellymom website, milk that still has ice crystals in it can be refrozen. I'll attach a link from that website about frozen milk and what happens if it thaws unexpectedly, hopefully it'll answer some of your questions.

http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/frozen-milk-power-outage/

Id bottle feed her what you have and express at those times to build your stash up again. You have my sympathy, pumping is hard work!!!

Cakerbaker wrote:
    Hope this isn't too late but according to the kellymom website, milk that still has ice crystals in it can be refrozen. I'll attach a link from that website about frozen milk and what happens if it thaws unexpectedly, hopefully it'll answer some of your questions.

Cakerbaker wrote:
    Id bottle feed her what you have and express at those times to build your stash up again. You have my sympathy, pumping is hard work!!!

Thank you! I really panicked earlier on, I was so mad at myself because it was me that didn't shut the door properly! My OH felt very sorry for me, but was delighted that it wasn't him that left the door open!

I did come across that page when I stepped back and thought about it. My OH came across a couple other sites as well when he was reassuring me that it would be OK to give her that milk and they all said pretty much the same thing. So iv expressed when she's fed. Man do I hate having bottles at the ready! Only 2oz was 'saved', it was stuck behind a bag of chilli! I didn't refreeze any of the other bags though because even though there were some that were nearly fully frozen some of the bag had defrosted. They defrosted unevenly because of the door being ajar.

Thank you for the reassurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

But if they still have ice crystals they can be refrozen, so if theyre still almost all frozen you don't have to dump them!

But if they still have ice crystals they can be refrozen, so if theyre still almost all frozen you don't have to dump them!

I can be an awful worrier so didn't want to chance refreezing. I didn't dump any, have been bottle feeding her all evening and expressing when she feeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a five week old baby to poo!
    My little guy hasn't had a dirty nappy since last Sunday. It hasn't bothered him until this evening and now unfortunately he seems to be having a bit of bother with it. He is breastfed with a 2oz top up of formula once a day. Have been doing lots of tummy massage and bicycle legs. Would love if anyone else had any ideas. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

cant26 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting a five week old baby to poo!
    My little guy hasn't had a dirty nappy since last Sunday. It hasn't bothered him until this evening and now unfortunately he seems to be having a bit of bother with it. He is breastfed with a 2oz top up of formula once a day. Have been doing lots of tummy massage and bicycle legs. Would love if anyone else had any ideas. Thanks!

Ours has just turned 6 weeks old today and is being exclusively breastfed but is pooing only once a week also. We can almost sense when she is going to do it as she would be in a bit of discomfort but we are doing plenty of tummy massages throughout the week. Has yours managed to go since last Sunday?

My little girl went from pooing everyday to once every two/three days and would then have a massive one. I asked GP last week at her 6 week appt and she said that it was 'normal' for breastfed babies to go up to 10 days without pooing.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

My little boy was the same, he could go 3 or 4 days without a dirty nappy. I recall when he was maybe 6-8 weeks when he went a week and I was getting a bit concerned but he was fine. PHN told me as he's breastfed it's just his way and is normal for breastfed babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi, our newborn had been breastfed but he doesn't seem to be getting enough. He is 4 days old now. Just spent an hour feeding him but he kept dozing off during the feed.

Thought he was asleep but quickly woke up hungry. Tried a small bottle formula and he wolfed it down.

Just worried why he's not getting enough from breastfeeding.

We had a lactation consultant visit yesterday and technique seems fine.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Is he having plenty wet and dirty nappies? If he is then there's obviously plenty going in! That early babies feed loads to make sure your milk supply gets well established so that's a good thing.

Also, it's a lot easier to drink milk from a bottle so he'll drink that a lot quicker. Just be careful with the bottles too, some babies can start to prefer bottles as its so much easier for them.

In their first weeks they feed, feed and feed, he's establishing your supply. Newborns stomachs are absolutely tiny, they need very little. Formula/bottled milk flows so much faster so of course they drink it easier, and can guzzle more than they need if the flow is too fast.

Giving formula now if latch is fine and baby is having enough wet and dirty nappies will just hinder supply, each bottle feed you give your body thinks milk isn't needed as there was no feed, so it doesn't produce enough for that feed the next day, supply dwindles, need more formula, vicious circle.

Contact Cuidiu, La Leche League or facebook breastfeeding groups for accurate info/advice. 4 days is very early, most women's milk would barely even be in by then so it's very early to be speculating that he's not getting enough tbh.

In their first weeks they feed, feed and feed, he's establishing your supply. Newborns stomachs are absolutely tiny, they need very little. Formula/bottled milk flows so much faster so of course they drink it easier, and can guzzle more than they need if the flow is too fast.

Giving formula now if latch is fine and baby is having enough wet and dirty nappies will just hinder supply, each bottle feed you give your body thinks milk isn't needed as there was no feed, so it doesn't produce enough for that feed the next day, supply dwindles, need more formula, vicious circle.

Contact Cuidiu, La Leche League or facebook breastfeeding groups for accurate info/advice. 4 days is very early, most women's milk would barely even be in by then so it's very early to be speculating that he's not getting enough tbh.

Thanks! So if breast feeding should he be fed more regularly than breast feeding?

Spent an hr on his last feed but he woke up 10 mins later hungry, so that's when I gave him formula.

With breast feeding it's feeding on demand which is basically whenever they want. In the early days that can be little and often, or a lot and often, depending on the baby, cos they're trying to build up your supply.

With me, he'd could feed on and off for a few hours a few times a day, but then could be completely different the next day! it does take a bit of getting used to and it can be hard not knowing the number of mls going in but as long as the nappies are wet and dirty, it should be fine.

Oh God yeah you feed him all the time, whenever he wants it. Have you read about cluster feeding? Feed on demand, formula babies have set routines purely because you can overfeed them and it keeps their tiny tummies full much longer, breastmilk is digested very quickly and you can't overfeed a breastfed baby so just feed constantly. When my son was three days old he was in special care so we couldn't sit and feed all day, but he fed for two hours at each allowed feed which was every three hours (stupid formula baby routine!).

The general guideline is get comfy on the couch or in bed, get water, snacks, tv or boxset and feed, feed, feed for these first few weeks. Enjoy :)

• Advertisement

K09 wrote: »
    Thanks! So if breast feeding should he be fed more regularly than breast feeding?

Spent an hr on his last feed but he woke up 10 mins later hungry, so that's when I gave him formula.

Feel like I'm always quoting this website but it has done good info!

http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Just feed feed feed! If you have no other kids, your only job over the next few weeks is feeding that baby! They're such clever little things, they know exactly how to get your supply up! It settles down after the first few weeks, and you'll notice feeds start to spread out.
    Take all the help you're offered for any other jobs, and enjoy the time on the couch!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

This sounds normal for breastfeeding. I'd agree with the other posters.
    Kellymom site is great for practical fact based info. Finding a local support group might help too.

A newborns stomach is tiny, so breastfed babies need to feed little and often. They are also only learning how to feed and that's why each feed takes so long in the first few days. He will get more efficient at getting enough milk from the breast. Time at the boob is never a waste, its telling you're body to produce more.
    You're body was able to grow a whole baby, it's well able to make enough milk now. My advice would be make yourself comfortable and enjoy all the cuddles with your newborn.
    You're doing great.

In a few weeks he'll only take about 15mins each feed and you'll be glad you don't have to spend lots of time washing, sterilising and making up bottles.

Oh God yeah you feed him all the time, whenever he wants it. Have you read about cluster feeding? Feed on demand, formula babies have set routines purely because you can overfeed them and it keeps their tiny tummies full much longer, breastmilk is digested very quickly and you can't overfeed a breastfed baby so just feed constantly. When my son was three days old he was in special care so we couldn't sit and feed all day, but he fed for two hours at each allowed feed which was every three hours (stupid formula baby routine!).

The general guideline is get comfy on the couch or in bed, get water, snacks, tv or boxset and feed, feed, feed for these first few weeks. Enjoy :)

Thanks! 3hrs into current feed! So if he's taking long feeds do we still need to wake him every 2-3 hrs?

Generally the advice is don't wake a sleeping baby, unless there are weight or lack of wet/dirty nappies issues. I can't advise on this as my son woke/wakes every two hours!

Generally the advice is don't wake a sleeping baby, unless there are weight or lack of wet/dirty nappies issues. I can't advise on this as my son woke/wakes every two hours!

I got a little telling off in the hospital from the lactation consultant because I wasn't waking my little girl up and letting her sleep more than 3 hrs at a time. The PHNs varied between 3 and 5 hrs-but most midwives/nurses I spoke to said to wake baby. All this advice was given after she started to put back on the weight she initially lost and my supply had started to come in

I found that as a new born she was on a 4/4.5 hrs sleep cycle and that if I woke her at 3 hrs id still be feeding her at the 4/4.5 hr mark. If I woke her she'd be cranky and fussy so I just let her wake herself and everyone was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

If you let baby sleep long time between feeds during the day he might look for more frequent feeds at night.
    I learnt this the hard way, first week or 2 my little one slept long stretches during the day some days then made up for it at night, waking every 1 1/2 -2 hrs looking for boob. I started waking her gently if she slept past 4 hrs, then some nights she slept a bit longer between feeds, which meant I got couple of hours sleep too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Looking for some advice girls. I'm still breastfeeding my almost 7month old. She's weaned so on 3 square meals a day and not that interested in feeding during the day bar a quick one here and there. She naps great in her cot twice a day but nights are different. She goes down at 7:30 awake and listening to white noise which I usually turn off once she's asleep.in the last few weeks she wakes about 10pm and is absolutely inconsolable unless she gets breast. I've been out and my husband has had to wake her properly and bring her downstairs as he just couldn't console her. I feed her and then sneak her back into her cot (in her own room). Then she does it all again around midnight afterwhich I fail miserably getting her back onto back into her cot so she ends up in bed with me and husband gets shunted out to spare room. During the night she wakes several times mooching for boob but once she finds it she's happy and doses off. I know she's just comfort feeding and I'm not going back to work anytime soon some I have the luxury of getting less sleep but in worries I'm making a rod for my own back with allowing her to sleep in our bed. Has anyone any experience or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

yellow hen wrote: »
    Looking for some advice girls. I'm still breastfeeding my almost 7month old. She's weaned so on 3 square meals a day and not that interested in feeding during the day bar a quick one here and there. She naps great in her cot twice a day but nights are different. She goes down at 7:30 awake and listening to white noise which I usually turn off once she's asleep.in the last few weeks she wakes about 10pm and is absolutely inconsolable unless she gets breast. I've been out and my husband has had to wake her properly and bring her downstairs as he just couldn't console her. I feed her and then sneak her back into her cot (in her own room). Then she does it all again around midnight afterwhich I fail miserably getting her back onto back into her cot so she ends up in bed with me and husband gets shunted out to spare room. During the night she wakes several times mooching for boob but once she finds it she's happy and doses off. I know she's just comfort feeding and I'm not going back to work anytime soon some I have the luxury of getting less sleep but in worries I'm making a rod for my own back with allowing her to sleep in our bed. Has anyone any experience or advice?

I wouldn't worry about that rod, I would just enjoy the sleep! My 11mo boy spends a bit of time most nights in our bed, and has done since birth, but it's less and less. Last night he went into his cot at 9 (and I wasn't even here, so he even settled with no Boob), and stayed there til 5.30. Other nights he wakes earlier has a quick feed and goes back in his cot, but if it's hard to settle him, I just bring him in with me.
    There's so many phases and leaps. I would just catch whatever z's you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 june17

Hi. I'm just wondering about bedtime routine. My 6 month old is fed to sleep every night and she goes down easily. But I'd like for my husband to be able to put her down too. My husband has been giving her a bottle before bed for the past week but she only takes about 3-4 oz from it. Someone suggested leaving the house while he's feeding her and I've been doing that but she still doesn't take any more. I then have to feed her again before I put her down and she drinks away happily and then falls asleep. I'd like to be able to leave her an odd night without worrying about her bedtime and if she'd settle for my husband without me being there to feed her. I know she's only had me for the past six months and she's used to that now so she probably doesn't like the new way! But like I said, I'd like to get an odd break at night!

Advertisement