Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

is anyone elses baby in the habit if waking up just for comfort? my baby is 7 months old now and will wake and just latch on and the minute he hits our bed hes asleep, if i move him back into his cot hes awake within 2 hours, if i leave him in the bed he'll sleep for another 4 hours at least, hes not waking for full feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

Lucuma wrote: »
    You've no idea how jealous I am of this :D:D:D

Seriously, I can't put it into words!

me too!! my fella's only slept 6 hours straight three times in his 7 months lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My son woke every two hours til he was 1, still wakes every 2-4 hours now at 17 months. He eats tons of food, still feeds loads, nothing has ever made any difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Weaning made no difference to my fella who woke 5+ times a night. In fact I think it made it worse for a few weeks as his tummy would get cramps and gassy as it adjusted to solids.

You've just reminded me that my son had all that gas too. It was the pits

I know I was lucky with the twice-nightly wakings but my last child used to wake loads so I think i deserved a break :)

Think I'll hold of weaning for another fees so. I wasn't pushed on doing it so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

So we had another weigh in with the PHN this morning. Missy has put on 260g in the last 7 days! Happy out! We had our own PHN back today, she was on holidays last week. Her position regarding the shield's is that she would prefer if i could get off them, but considering baby's weight gain and how I'm feeling about things etc, shes happy for me to keep going the way I am. She's given my details to the lactation consultant so I'll chat to her when she calls, but I'm not feeling under as much pressure as I was.
    Baby is gaining weight and is happy, so that's all that matters to me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Well done scaredpanda! Brilliant weight gain!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

scarepanda wrote:
    So we had another weigh in with the PHN this morning. Missy has put on 260g in the last 7 days! Happy out! We had our own PHN back today, she was on holidays last week. Her position regarding the shield's is that she would prefer if i could get off them, but considering baby's weight gain and how I'm feeling about things etc, shes happy for me to keep going the way I am. She's given my details to the lactation consultant so I'll chat to her when she calls, but I'm not feeling under as much pressure as I was. Baby is gaining weight and is happy, so that's all that matters to me!

Hi scarepanda. I was in a similar situation to you. I wasn't using the shields, but after 5 weeks of ridiculously sore nipples, I went to a lactation consultant, who spotted my little fellas posterior tongue tie. I had asked a few midwives and doctors in the hospital if he had it when he was born and they all said no.

He was thriving, back up to his birth weight before he was 2 weeks, moved from 50th to 75th percentile by 4 weeks. But I have a very strong supply. I was told that by 4 months he would probably be underweight if I didnt get it dealt with.

2 weeks later, having had the tongue tie snipped , the crazy long feeding sessions are over (he doesnt get so tired as he doesnt have to work so hard), his latch is staying deep (it had been slipping off onto a shallow latch) and my nipples arent nearly as painful. Im so glad I got it sorted, for all of our sake!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yet another blocked duct yesterday - I knew current good run was too good to last! Mercifully it cleared quickly this time.

Still waiting on my son's appointment with the tongue tie clinic - referral went in a week and a half ago and we need them to hurry up as he ages out of the service in 3 weeks time.

Regarding the "underweight by 4 months" comment - my son was never really underweight but he has always been a very slim baby for his length. He's between the 50th and 75th percentile for weight but is off the charts long (>99.6th percentile on the chart in his red book, 72cm @ 5 months).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yet another blocked duct yesterday - I knew current good run was too good to last! Mercifully it cleared quickly this time.

Still waiting on my son's appointment with the tongue tie clinic - referral went in a week and a half ago and we need them to hurry up as he ages out of the service in 3 weeks time.

Regarding the "underweight by 4 months" comment - my son was never really underweight but he has always been a very slim baby for his length. He's between the 50th and 75th percentile for weight but is off the charts long (>99.6th percentile on the chart in his red book, 72cm @ 5 months).

Breastfed babies are naturally leaner, I think.
    Also, the growth curves doctors use are for formula fed babies, you can get the ones for breastfed babies from the WHO website (I know you'll still see the difference in proportion of your baby but still.)

The Brits switched over to charts for breastfed babies a few years back (UK-WHO charts) and that's what's in the red book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Same in Ireland now actually, the charts are now based on breast feeding as the norm not formula feeding. It's been that way for a couple of years

Well we finally have an appointment to have my son's tongue tie looked at - next Monday. It's quite likely he'll be the oldest baby at the clinic that day, he'll be 24 weeks exactly.

In that case you really are doing brilliantly on the weight front! Well done you, especially as you kept going through all those obstacles

We have a tooth. There's now a very strong chance they won't do the revision on Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

We have a tooth. There's now a very strong chance they won't do the revision on Monday :(

Why? Do they not do it if they have teeth?

The LC who referred us told us that King's often require a GA if the baby has teeth.

Well they ended up not doing it in the end - the surgeon's opinion was that he wouldn't get enough benefit at his age (24 weeks) to justify the procedure and aftercare. The tooth was a factor too. Time to just see how things go over the next while, we'll make it to 6 months anyway which was my original goal when he was born so I suppose that's a small success?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I think you should be proud of reaching that milestone and getting your baby to a healthy weight considering all the obstacles you faced. How do you feel? Are you disappointed?

I'm at the six month mark too so I am gradually weaning him off the breast, I nearly gave up in the first few weeks so I'm happy to have continued for six months but I am ready to transition him to bottles. I have a frozen stash so he'll get another month out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Hey guys, need some advice on my little guy. Was exclusively breastfed to 7 months and since then I introduced 1 formula bottle for 3 o clock feed. He is well usee to bottle as would have regularly fed him breast milk in a bottle from birth.
    So he's 8 and a half months now and got two teeth last week. This has coincided with formula bottle refusal. He spits out the formula. Put it into his much loved breaker instead and spat that out too. This is going on over a week. He is definitely hungry at the time.
    I've bought a different formula to try today and I'll also try breast milk in bottle to see if bottle itself is the issue. Just feeling stressed as I've an overnight hen on Saturday. Also starting creche soon so need him back on his bottle. Was also hoping to fully wean around 10 months and panicking now that he will keep refusing formula. Any tips or advice much appreciated!

I can't really say I'm disappointed tbh. We've had good solid medical advice on it and we have a very happy, healthy baby. It is a bit annoying that if things had been picked up on earlier it could have saved a lot of misery but can't change that now.

I will be a total mama bear about #2 and getting them checked though whenever that happens!

I'm not back in work until January so I have plenty of time to get him established on solids before then. If we do keep going until 1 year I'll probably buy a good pump for when I go back to work as my employer is pretty good about that sort of thing.

• Advertisement

Well they ended up not doing it in the end - the surgeon's opinion was that he wouldn't get enough benefit at his age (24 weeks) to justify the procedure and aftercare. The tooth was a factor too. Time to just see how things go over the next while, we'll make it to 6 months anyway which was my original goal when he was born so I suppose that's a small success?

it's a big huge success, well done

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Hey guys, need some advice on my little guy. Was exclusively breastfed to 7 months and since then I introduced 1 formula bottle for 3 o clock feed. He is well usee to bottle as would have regularly fed him breast milk in a bottle from birth.
    So he's 8 and a half months now and got two teeth last week. This has coincided with formula bottle refusal. He spits out the formula. Put it into his much loved breaker instead and spat that out too. This is going on over a week. He is definitely hungry at the time.
    I've bought a different formula to try today and I'll also try breast milk in bottle to see if bottle itself is the issue. Just feeling stressed as I've an overnight hen on Saturday. Also starting creche soon so need him back on his bottle. Was also hoping to fully wean around 10 months and panicking now that he will keep refusing formula. Any tips or advice much appreciated!

has he copped I wonder that if he refuses the bottle he'll get breast instead? They're cute out!
    Could you get your hubby to give him the bottle instead so he can't smell the boobs? Like give it at a time of day when hubby is around.

He's refusing it from him too. I haven't given him the boob instead just brough dinner forward a bit to avoid him getting hangry! Tried another formula there but no joy. He's clamping the mouth shut. But bonjela on first on case it was gum pain. I'll get my husband to try again later. So stressful!

uote="Lucuma;101028922"]has he copped I wonder that if he refuses the bottle he'll get breast instead? They're cute out!
    Could you get your hubby to give him the bottle instead so he can't smell the boobs? Like give it at a time of day when hubby is around.[/quote]

My baby won't take a bottle or a beaker from anyone. Doesn't matter if it's formula or breastmilk, we've tried a billion teats, nothing works. I went back to work on the 24th August, she's been at the crèche since the 1st of September. She's 6 months old, and the only solution the doctor suggested was to give her those yoghurts specially made for babies transitioning to solid food (so they are safe for her to eat). Luckily she loves them but I worry that it's not enough milk!
    I give her two feeds in the morning before she goes to the crèche, and she gets at least two feeds in the evening, sometimes 3.

Does she feed at night Ivy? I'm sure she's getting enough with the morning and evening feeds and yogurts. I sneak milk into my guys meals as he's not a fan of yogurts. He seems to be all night feeding at the moment as we cosleep. I was hoping to try and wean soon but seems impossible if he keeps rejecting bottle. Frustrating as he has always taken a bottle no problem until now.

My baby won't take a bottle or a beaker from anyone. Doesn't matter if it's formula or breastmilk, we've tried a billion teats, nothing works. I went back to work on the 24th August, she's been at the crèche since the 1st of September. She's 6 months old, and the only solution the doctor suggested was to give her those yoghurts specially made for babies transitioning to solid food (so they are safe for her to eat). Luckily she loves them but I worry that it's not enough milk!
    I give her two feeds in the morning before she goes to the crèche, and she gets at least two feeds in the evening, sometimes 3.

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Does she feed at night Ivy? I'm sure she's getting enough with the morning and evening feeds and yogurts. I sneak milk into my guys meals as he's not a fan of yogurts. He seems to be all night feeding at the moment as we cosleep. I was hoping to try and wean soon but seems impossible if he keeps rejecting bottle. Frustrating as he has always taken a bottle no problem until now.
    No, she sleeps the whole night! (ie she gets her last feed at around 9pm, and her big brother wakes everyone up at 6 ish so she gets a feed then.) She's putting on weight and is a happy baby so I shouldn't worry but I still do! :)
    Maybe I could mix expressed milk in with her food as well?

Wow ! That's so fantastic she sleeps through! If she's putting up weight and happy that's all that matters! You can definitely sneak expressed milk into food if you want though. Porridge, potato, purees, cereals or baby rice all use a good bit of milk but honestly sounds like she's getting all she needs already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Hi ladies!
    I have a couple of questions that I'd love advice on.
    Firstly, any tips for breastfeeding in public? I'm trying to build up my confidence to do it. I know it seems so insignificant, but finally fed muggins in front of some people at home the other evening, but did the latch in private first. I'm most nervous of getting her latched on rather than feeding and finishing up.
    Second, how long does frozen milk last once it's taken out of a freezer? We've a wedding in a couple of weeks.. Baby and sitter will be coming with us and I hope to bring a supply with us to relieve pressure incase muggins gets hungry during meal/mass when it would be harder for me to slip away for a few minutes. I'll be feeding her myself during the day (or pumping if I need to).

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Hi. I'm not much help with the milk from the freezer but I think a website called kellymom may have some info on that. With the feeding in public, I found that it just took a bit of time. I found OUOD (one up one down) to be the handiest. I got breast feeding spaghetti strap tops in H&M (although fiends of mine got cheap normal ones from penny's that they just pulled down). I wore the spaghetti strap top under a normal top, pulled the outside top up and the underneath spaghetti strap top down and fed like that. Very little was obvious as there was one top covering underneath and another covering the top. It does take a bit of practice and a bit of time to feel comfortable. My son is 6 months now and while awkward at the started feed anywhere at this stage!

• Advertisement

I actually find feeding in public more awkward as my son gets older! He's nearly 6 months and a bit too curious for his own good, he pops off a lot if he sees anything interesting and he isn't absolutely starving for a feed. He also loves pulling on my tops and sometimes pulls them up further! It's been too hot for OUOD here for most of the summer too.

Advertisement