Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Just a quick note to say hello. I've read this thread in full over the past few months and the info is invaluable. My daughter was born 11 days ago so we're on day 11 of our bf journey. We made it through the growth spurt at 10 with just me being exhausted. Baby is feeding well and was discharged above her birth weight (I was in longer for a c section and then kept even longer for other medical reasons).

I'm sure I will be on here asking advice before too long and hopefully over time I can answer some questions too.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Congrats bovril :) growth spurts are tough going!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

You'll be an expert before long! I used to read through this thread when I was pregnant too. Its great because you get to see peoples' journeys in almost real time and it gives you a sense of the realities of breastfeeding. I'll never forget the sense of achievement when I posted here for the first time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Congrats bovril, if she's above her birth weight already that's a wonderful start! My little girl (17 weeks now) was able to put on heaps of weight too and it's one less thing to worry about. Well done for getting through those first few tough days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

My little man is now 5 weeks, we've been having a seriously tough time feeding. Was in hospital 4 nights as had a c-section and he wasn't latching on the left side at all, finally on day 4 and that's no a midwife who refused to give up, he latched on, and was happily feeding from both sides. Then his 3 week growth spurt he suddenly refuses the left again, was at quitting point at this stage, but rang the local health center and turns out they have a lactation consultant who works alongside the PHN, so have been seeing her too and he's feeding off the left again, though not if he's starving as he gets too frustrated as the left is flatter than the right.

Only problem is he brings up after nearly every feed, have to give him gaviscon daily, so am frustrated as to if he's actually getting enough food. No one tells you it's going to be this hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Hey, congrats on your new baby. A lot of babies have a preference for one side. My son went through a long phase of almost totally rejecting the right side. Your breasts will regulate their own supply so you'll find the right will produce more than the left in time. I almost always use the left during the day but use the right more at night.

To encourage him to use both sides maybe let him feed enough off the right to take the edge of the hunger and then swap him over.

The football hold is a good way to fool him into thinking he is feeding off the other side.

If you can feed while lying down, this is also a good way to use both sides if you are able to feed from the top breast, meaning he will be lying in the direction he prefers but is getting the other side. BTW I found this almost impossible in the early weeks but it got easier as baby got bigger and stronger and now it's probably the position I use the most.

I have no experience of galviscon but bringing up milk after every feed was normal for us in the beginning. I think he was overfilling himself and then some had to come back up. Once your baby is gaining weight, it shouldn't be a problem. Its totally normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Hi all,

I stopped breastfeeding on Saturday I.e. My last feed was on Saturday. It's Thursday morning now and breasts are still soar n lumpy. They do ache but not unbearable pain. Wondering how many days approx it takes for breasts to feel normal. Will the milk automatically dry up or I did something wrong? I had gradually decreased feeds and was one or two feeds in a day,
    I have no idea what to expect now, I hope I didn't miss anything. I thought it would be fine in few days but I guess it takes longer for soarness to go? And milk to dry up? Am looking for experiences and hope this is normal I.e, soar breasts for few days

Regards

Hi,

In the last few days my 3 weeks old won't open her mouth wide enough to get a good latch. She makes little sucking attempts. I've tried rubbing her lower lip but she doesn't leave me much of a window. I need more hands. Does anyone know how to encourage a wide mouth for latching?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

bovril wrote: »
    Hi,

In the last few days my 3 weeks old won't open her mouth wide enough to get a good latch. She makes little sucking attempts. I've tried rubbing her lower lip but she doesn't leave me much of a window. I need more hands. Does anyone know how to encourage a wide mouth for latching?

My 10 weeker is doing the same. Dr Jack Newman has some advice on this page but it's easier said than done
    http://www.bhttp://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-WLreastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-WL

I find changing the position helps especially the football hold. Also holding up baby's head while you are latching them on first. If boob is fuller/harder I also find it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

cyning wrote: »
    Sooo... Thrush. S has it in her mouth, unsurprising really she's on iv antibiotics for a throat and ear infection and another thing for mouth ulcers. They've given her drops to use, and I got daktarin too: should I do anything else? My nipples feel itchy but I reckon that's because I know she has thrush!!

If you look at kellymom there is various treatment advice for thrush.
    And you have escaped?
    That's great because if you had it it's terrible terrible painful.

I suppose watch out when you use a towel to dry yourself after a shower put it in wash to prevent spread.

Change breast pads regular too.

Cut down on sugary foods which help the thrush to thrive.

• Advertisement

I've started having pain feeding today but nipples look normal. She used me as a teething ring last week and I couldn't even stop the feeds because I had just for her off iv fluids. She still has it but is only off the antibiotics 48 hours. Starting her on a probiotic tomorrow because she is still sick too.

Boob rocks with sick babies though :)

Your nipples will look normal however they may look a bit shiny like a shiny film over them but the pain is like a thousand needles jabbed into the centre of your nipples. Shooting right back into the breast. And you may have pain after feeding for an hour afterwards.

Once my lad got the drops. The relief was immediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ThatsMyWall

Hi all, I think my 9 week old might be teething, seems early but he his drooling excessively and has been very fussy while feeding over the last few days.
    Is there any other reason he might be this way? He latches on and then pulls off crying, like he wants to feed but its hurts....

Possibly could be alright
    My boy went through a real fussy clingy stage at 9 \10. Weeks.
    A few other posters on here have made similar observations!

My lad needed to be held for like 5 hrs each night.
    Then he improved.
    It was about 4-5 days after his injections

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ThatsMyWall

Well he just got his shots today so hopefully he doesn't get worse! It's just frustrating trying to feed him sometimes.

Was at docs today he doesn't think thrush, but that I'm in pain from her biting me and her teeth rubbing my nipple while feeding... Which I know she shouldn't be doing but I couldn't stop her feeding last week. He suggested using shields but don't know if I like that idea. All I know is my nipples are in agony :( and because she's still sick I don't exactly want to stop feeding her everytime she bites. Also suggested jack new mans apno but it's really expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Was at docs today he doesn't think thrush, but that I'm in pain from her biting me and her teeth rubbing my nipple while feeding... Which I know she shouldn't be doing but I couldn't stop her feeding last week. He suggested using shields but don't know if I like that idea. All I know is my nipples are in agony :( and because she's still sick I don't exactly want to stop feeding her everytime she bites. Also suggested jack new mans apno but it's really expensive

Lansinoh any good cyning?

Ya I'm using that at the moment: it's just awful. The pain is just so so bad. Hopefully it will improve by tomorrow.

Ya I'm using that at the moment: it's just awful. The pain is just so so bad. Hopefully it will improve by tomorrow.

You poor thing. Take some nurofen and get in a nice warm bath with no soap and try and relax. Hope your feeling a bit better tomorrow. Perhaps a nice cool compress may sooth it. X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Try the shields to give your nipples some time to heal. Inused them for akmost 18 weeks on our first and didnt have any issues with them, without them i would not have been able to breastfeed as the pain from bein cracked etc was so bad!

Still breastfeeding here at almost 11 months, but need to start thinking about stopping soon, going away in january for a week without baby. Not looking forward to it, really, as it's still the easiest way to get babba off to sleep :o

• Advertisement

I'm more worried about her refusing boob if I try to use the shields! She's a pernickety one my little miss ;) ah tomorrow will be better I hope!

Marz66 wrote: »
    My 10 weeker is doing the same. Dr Jack Newman has some advice on this page but it's easier said than done
    http://www.bhttp://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-WLreastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-WL

I find changing the position helps especially the football hold. Also holding up baby's head while you are latching them on first. If boob is fuller/harder I also find it easier.

How are you getting on bovril? I was at a parent baby group today where there was a lactation consultant. She just recommended taking baby off and on again if latch had disimproved. Maybe as your lo is only 3 weeks a lactation consultant could help you?

Marz66 wrote: »
    How are you getting on bovril? I was at a parent baby group today where there was a lactation consultant. She just recommended taking baby off and on again if latch had disimproved. Maybe as your lo is only 3 weeks a lactation consultant could help you?

I have been trying to make sure the latch is good and taking the baby off if it's painful. The trouble is getting her to open wide in the first place. There is sometimes only a couple of opportunities and I miss them as her hands are in the way etc. Going to try make it to a local bf group tomorrow where there should be lactation consultant so I can get more tips.

That's good bovril. I've been there with the mouth not open wide enough, can be frustrating.

How you feeling today cyning?

Sligo1 wrote: »
    How you feeling today cyning?

Not so great: my areola on the left is cut from teeth, and every feed is frigging torturous. If she would take a bottle I'd wean her this very second (and regret it next week I'm sure!). My nipples look pretty normal bar one or two cuts, but the pain is unbelievable. I've being limiting feeds which she's cranky from too, but I can't cope with her being latched on if not feeding.

And just in case I'm panicking any new mammies or mammies to be I'm so sorry: this isn't normal it's because she had mouth ulcers and thrush and was sick.

Not so great: my areola on the left is cut from teeth, and every feed is frigging torturous. If she would take a bottle I'd wean her this very second (and regret it next week I'm sure!). My nipples look pretty normal bar one or two cuts, but the pain is unbelievable. I've being limiting feeds which she's cranky from too, but I can't cope with her being latched on if not feeding.

And just in case I'm panicking any new mammies or mammies to be I'm so sorry: this isn't normal it's because she had mouth ulcers and thrush and was sick.

You poor thing Hun. Could you get a prescription for some difene or ponstan from your GP?

Ya I'm going to go back tomorrow or I'll crack up I genuinely can't cope with the pain of it, and I can't just stop feeding her. It's just one thing after another with her really :(

Ya I'm going to go back tomorrow or I'll crack up I genuinely can't cope with the pain of it, and I can't just stop feeding her. It's just one thing after another with her really :(

Ask gp for ponstan Hun. It's very good. Provided you have no medical history that would be contraindicated. Mind yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Cyning, do you think it could be the vasospasm back again since thrush was ruled out? Does applying dry heat help this time? Can you speak to a LC?

Advertisement