Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

The puking might happen regardless and might not be wind related. He'd probably wake crying if he had wind.

I used to wind my baby in his sleep if I had to and if there was wind there, it seemed to come up. I used to sit him upright, hand under his chin and push the base of his spine gently to straighten his back. Used to get up wind in seconds.

On the subject of winding, apparently it's the inability to straighten their backs is why small babies need winding. When I heard this, it changed my thinking on winding technique!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I do the exact same as livinsane to wind my little lady. As for the puking: I used put a muslin over the sheet so if she puked I just had to untuck the muslin and pull it gently out from under her. It's great that he doesn't get upset puking. I really envy that which is terrible I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hi ladies, I've a pumping question. I've just got my pump but I don't know the best time to pump. He's been feeding a lot lately and it doesn't seem like I have much spare. How do I start to pump while still having enough for him when he breast feeds? After a feed? Before? Pump the other boob when he's feeding on one? I'm sure the supply will build up in time but don't want him starving at the start :( would love to know what others do. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Don't worry you won't starve him. Your body will adjust to extra demand very quickly. I personally found morning time the best as I seemed to have the most milk at that time. It'll all get easier and kind of shift into an easier gear (so to speak!) in the next 2-3 weeks. Most of the hard work has been done. Congrats on your new job btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Definitely morning. I pumped every single morning in bed after her feed. You would usually get heaps more in the morning aswell. If always fill a 200ml bottle no probs after her first feed in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Definitely morning. I pumped every single morning in bed after her feed. You would usually get heaps more in the morning aswell. If always fill a 200ml bottle no probs after her first feed in the morning.

PHN advised after first feed in the morning. Thought this a bit further funny as when is the "first feed" ? 3/4/5/6 am? ?

But yes I pump early morning. Not the same time. Depends when I have the energy! Definitely more milk early morning.

73trix wrote: »
    PHN advised after first feed in the morning. Thought this a bit further funny as when is the "first feed" ? 3/4/5/6 am? ?

But yes I pump early morning. Not the same time. Depends when I have the energy! Definitely more milk early morning.

Lol... Well I defo wouldn't be up pumping at 4 or 5am... I would usually do it same time every morning at about 8.30ish. If she woke at 4 or 5 or 6 she would still take a wee feed at 8ish so if pump after that feed. After a while your body will adjust if you pump at the same time and will always have enough to feed and pump :)

Thanks for your replies. Lol, yeah, when is the first feed ofthe day when there isn't a difference between night and day?! He has a little feed arrived 7-8am so I'll go after that. Need to assemble the bloody pump first...

Thanks for the congrats, how_strange :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Marz66 wrote: »
    Finally is it too late to try and change to regular bf? I know I need a lactation consultant for that but just wondering if others have done it at this late stage?

Just wanted to come back to say I've (fingers crossed) made the move from exclusively expressing to feeding from the breast, only giving the odd bottle of expressed milk, with help of LC and feeding clinic in hospital. Getting tongue tie snipped helped though his sucking/my positioning had already started to improve.

Next step is to wean him/me off nipple shields!

That is fantastic news! How's babas reflux doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

The reflux seems to have improved, thanks. The amounts he's spewing are now fairly small (they were bigger) so for now we're putting up with it. Gaviscon was messy to use and also doctor who did the tongue tie said he would recommend something else which needs a prescription. So gonna see how we get on with keeping him upright as much as possible etc before giving him anything for it.

My left boob is so sore I could cry... No blocked duct that I can see or feel, no signs of thrush, I don't have a temp or feel otherwise unwell... Just so so sore? Anything I can do to ease the pain a bit? Phn (who is not the normal one) told me not to worry about it. I'm not but it's still flipping sore!

cyning wrote: »
    My left boob is so sore I could cry... No blocked duct that I can see or feel, no signs of thrush, I don't have a temp or feel otherwise unwell... Just so so sore? Anything I can do to ease the pain a bit? Phn (who is not the normal one) told me not to worry about it. I'm not but it's still flipping sore!

Nurofen. And hot facecloth massage in bath. If u are getting a blocked duct this will relieve it. And if ur not it still makes it feel a bit better...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

How are you feeling now? God I feel your pain. Could it be a vasospasm? Had the same issue myself but it sorted after a few days after I did the following. It can be caused if baby clamps down on the breast. Baby can have had good latch all along and then one bad latch can cause damage :( Excruciating pain and the pain travels around to your back.

Need to make sure latch is fixed and it should stop hurting in a few days. In the meantime, apply dry heat to it (warm a breast pad) immediately after feed. And nurse loads. Got this advice from my LC. Hope you feel better soon, you have my deepest sympathies! :(

My lc is off this week of all weeks! I was in excruciating pain by last night: cried every time I latched her on and throughout the feed. Sometime in the middle of the night I leaked milk which I never ever ever do and pain eased off. It's hurting again now though so I'm really hoping it doesn't build up into that awful pain again :( S has cut two teeth in the last few days too so her latch is definitely "off".

My lc is off this week of all weeks! I was in excruciating pain by last night: cried every time I latched her on and throughout the feed. Sometime in the middle of the night I leaked milk which I never ever ever do and pain eased off. It's hurting again now though so I'm really hoping it doesn't build up into that awful pain again :( S has cut two teeth in the last few days too so her latch is definitely "off".

Cyning, do u want the mobile number of a great LC here in Dublin? Even if it's only for a really quick 5min chat I'm nearly positive she will pick up the phone so u could throw a few questions to her now??? I know it's 8pm but I'm pretty sure she will answer (hopefully). Let me know and I can PM u.

Only seeing this now Sligo :( I'll head to go tomorrow if pain still there because heaven knows I'm not going to go to Southdoc with it at the weekend! GP is great so hopefully he can give me something if needs be. I honestly would prefer to be back with cracked nipples and feeding a newborn with a tongue tie than this pain

You poor thing. I hope you're feeling better in the morning.

Cyning, did you try applying some dry heat to the sore boob? Get a breast pad and warm it on the outside of a mug of hot water. Also, Jack Newman recommends massaging olive oil into the sore nipple too (wash it off though before you feed again). I hope you feel better :(

Ya I have one if those heat yokes that go in microwave: pain has subsided again so hopefully it's stopped now. That was a great tip much better than the facecloth. Wonder was it a vasospasm?

• Advertisement

Yay! I'm so glad you feel better. Keep applying the dry heat to it after every feed and cover nipple immediately after feed as the air will irritate it if it is a vasospasm. Mine took a few days for the pain to go away (and it was torture). Does your nipple look blanched between feeds? That can also be an indicator of vasospasm. If tis a vasospasm then only dry heat rather than wet heat will do the trick apparently.

My nipple looks pinched? It's an odd shape if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

My nipple looks pinched? It's an odd shape if that makes sense

I feel for you with nipple pain it's terrible.
    Is it shaped like a lipstick you have used frequently? Like a wedge?

Ya: but the pain isn't just in the nipple. It's still sore just not the crying in pain sore. It's more dull and achey now

Ya: but the pain isn't just in the nipple. It's still sore just not the crying in pain sore. It's more dull and achey now

For me, the pain was in the nipple, boob and my back (on the same side as the sore boob). Sounds like the dry heat is working though, keep applying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Where do you get spare parts for medella swing?
    The breastsheild part of mine has a tiny hole in.it need to get a new one asap.
    I'm looking online at pumps4mums but is there anywhere that stocks the breast shield that I could get in next day or two rather than waiting on post??

monflat wrote: »
    Where do you get spare parts for medella swing?
    The breastsheild part of mine has a tiny hole in.it need to get a new one asap.
    I'm looking online at pumps4mums but is there anywhere that stocks the breast shield that I could get in next day or two rather than waiting on post??

http://www.medicare.ie/medela-breast-pumps-ireland.html

Give these a ring. They are just outside
    Dublin. I went here to get the tubing etc. They are the main stockist/supplier for medela. :)

Has anyone tried freezing breast milk in those multi-pocket ice cube bags? I'd heard of it from someone but amnt sure. I want to freeze it in small quantities. Any other tips welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I don't think it's recommended if you intend to give the milk to your baby to drink. I think it's something to do with toxicity. The specific milk storage bags are a different type of plastic.

I use to freeze in 2.5-4oz quantities so if they only wanted a little then I hadn't wasted the rest. I'd do one bag with 2.5 and another with 4oz as both generally only drank 6.5oz at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I used these little plastic one ounce tubs from vital baby. They're handy cos they're reusable. You can freeze the milk in 1 oz and then combine the cubes into bags if u want.

Advertisement