Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Limerick to open on Good Friday

Options
  • 25-03-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-pubs-get-the-goahead.6180066.jp

So pubs in Limerick have won the appeal to open on good friday for the Munster match, would love to hear some chrisitian views on this, good thing? bad thing? I think good, removing the church from state law decisions is a good step forward.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Unfortunately I live nowhere near Limerick, so I'll have to get a few cans in to watch the match on TV.

I find the restrictions on buying alcohol on Good Friday to be pretty silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Won't get to watch it either, no Setanta for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

krudler wrote: »
    So pubs in Limerick have won the appeal to open on good friday for the Munster match, would love to hear some chrisitian views on this, good thing? bad thing? I think good, removing the church from state law decisions is a good step forward.

On one hand I agree the drinking ban is a bit silly tbh. On the other hand I find the national obsession with alcohol consumption to be a far greater problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

prinz wrote: »
    On one hand I agree the drinking ban is a bit silly tbh. On the other hand I find the national obsession with alcohol consumption to be a far greater problem.

QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

If, by law, meat couldnt be sold on Good Friday.
    Or if, by law, milk couldnt be sold on Good Friday.
    Or if, by law, all restaurants were closed on Good Friday.
    Or if, by law, all cinemas were closed on Good Friday...........

Do you not think there would be a recurring debate every year about whether such a law makes any sense? And if there was, would we have a national obsession with meat, milk, food or movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The national obsession with alcohol consumption is indeed a big problem.

But stopping pubs opening on Good Friday has nothing at all to do with it. The day before is traditionally the busiest day of the year for off-licences.

So lets not pretend that the reason the law prohibits (most) pubs from opening on Good Friday is anything to do with promoting moderation in alcohol consumption.

drkpower wrote: »
    And if there was, would we have a national obsession with meat, milk, food or movies?

I don't get your point tbh.
    phutyle wrote: »
    So lets not pretend that the reason the law prohibits (most) pubs from opening on Good Friday is anything to do with promoting moderation in alcohol consumption.

Why, who was pretending that? My post made it quite clear that they are two seperate issues, only one of which will garner significant public support to change. That is sad. If the public put as much effort into changing Ireland's drink problems as they do into being able to go to the pub one more day in the year the country would be a lot better for it.

I don't get your point tbh.
    Have you been drinking?

The fact that we, as a Nation, annually discuss the fact that alcohol is banned on a random Friday in March/April does not mean that we have & is irrelevent to the assessment of whether we have a national obsession with alcohol.

Just as a similar discussion around the public banning of cheese on Holy Thursday doesnt mean & is irrelevent to the assessment of whether we have a national obsession with cheese.

Did you get it this time?

(It is relevent to the assessment of whether we have a national obsession with religon, though)

Have you been drinking?

I wish.
    The fact that we, as a Nation, annually discuss the fact that alcohol is banned on a random Friday in March/April does not mean that we have & is irrelevent to the assessment of whether we have a national obsession with alcohol.

Discussing it is fine. Over turning it is fine. The lengths people will go to simply because they have to have a drink is sad. Let's not kid ourselves that it is some noble campaign for secularisation either. I know people who won't drink for weeks before or weeks after but simply must that day, to take ferries, to take trains, to book into hotels etc. Nothing to do with over-turning the ban. Simply a matter of if someone says no drink, that's all you want. I enjoy my pints as much as the next person but it's verging on the ridiculous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Logged in just to thank the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If the public put as much effort into changing Ireland's drink problems as they do into being able to go to the pub one more day in the year the country would be a lot better for it.

Well, the public's efforts in getting the GF exemption have amounted to some facebook pages, postings on the interwebs, a few letters and articles in the papers and a legal application by a trade organisation. Hardly a huge effort. If the country's drink problems could be tackled with such ease, we'd have them sorted out by now.

Discussing it is fine. Over turning it is fine. The lengths people will go to simply because they have to have a drink is sad. Let's not kid ourselves that it is some noble campaign for secularisation either. I know people who won't drink for weeks before or weeks after but simply must that day, to take ferries, to take trains, to book into hotels etc. Nothing to do with over-turning the ban. Simply a matter of if someone says no drink, that's all you want. I enjoy my pints as much as the next person but it's verging on the ridiculous.

I dont know anyone who goes to those lengths. As you can just open a bottle at home, to go to those lengths seems like some kind of internal process of protest - and a little silly at that.

Whether there is any campaign, or whether it is noble or not, is also irrelevent. There is no good reason for this law and that is good enough reason to get rid of it, whether the motivation be noble or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Has the church said anything about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I dont know anyone who goes to those lengths. As you can just open a bottle at home, to go to those lengths seems like some kind of internal process of protest - and a little silly at that.

What if your 21st birthday happens to fall on Good Friday, you want a party and you're in no way religious?

But I do think it's a good move. This isn't a blow against he church, people can still pray - nobodys banning that. It a good move for the city of Limerick for them to make a bit of extra dosh in a time when every business is struggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

branie wrote: »
    Has the church said anything about this?
    They're disappointed and some of the monks who work in the estates are considering whether or not to protest at the match.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36039504/ns/world_news-europe/
    The Rev. Tony Mullins, administrator of the Limerick Diocese, said the judge's decision reflected "a changing society, where religious beliefs and the practice of one's faith is becoming more a matter for the individual."

He appealed to the Catholic faithful among locals and rugby tourists alike to choose to attend afternoon Masses in the city and avoid the drinking dens. "The challenge in this new emerging Ireland is for Catholics to give even stronger witness to their faith and belief," he said.

Several Franciscan friars who live in an impoverished housing project beside Limerick's rugby stadium said they might pray, protest and erect the Stations of the Cross — church artworks that illustrate the stages of Christ's crucifixion on Good Friday and resurrection on Easter — outside the gates as 26,000 rugby fans arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

mehfesto wrote: »
    What if your 21st birthday happens to fall on Good Friday, you want a party and you're in no way religious?

House party?

To be honest I always loved good Friday specifically because the pubs were shut. But that was just because there used to be some of the craziest house parties of the year thrown. I remember as a teenager I use to look forward to good Friday all year because in mine and the neighbouring estates their would be 40 or 50 huge parties running all night long. Use to be some craic. After the Limerick decision I'm convinced the no pubs on good Friday thing will cease to exist in 3 or 4 years at the most. On princible I'm glad about that but will miss the indirect result of the closures as described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

krudler wrote: »
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-pubs-get-the-goahead.6180066.jp

i am happy for the business people that they can carry on business,
    good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

mehfesto wrote: »
    The exact same as if your 21st birthday falls on Christmas day. You do it some other day. Or just buy in some beer and drink with your friends.
    If I get off work at 7 and a shop I want to go to closes at 6, I don't rant and rave and complain about it, and say it shouldn't be the case. I just work around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

phutyle wrote: »

Yeah but equally lets not pretend that getting the ban lifted is anything to do with people supporting the secularization of Ireland

It's cause they want to get drunk at a rugby game. Hardly the most noble of causes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As I non-drinker, this had no effected me - beyond when walking the next day having less mess/litter on the ground to avoid. The mayor of Limerick at least has something to be happy about, meaning that we as a nation are moving away from our outdated national ways to be more like the European main-stream.

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    As I non-drinker, this had no effected me - beyond when walking the next day having less mess/litter on the ground to avoid. The mayor of Limerick at least has something to be happy about, meaning that we as a nation are moving away from our outdated national ways to be more like the European main-stream.

Actually we are consistently moving away from the European main stream.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Yeah but equally lets not pretend that getting the ban lifted is anything to do with people supporting the secularization of Ireland

It's cause they want to get drunk at a rugby game. Hardly the most noble of causes.

No; its because a bunch of pubs want to earn a living (and are being constrained in so doing by a law with no reasonable foundation) and managed to find a legal avenue in order to earn their living.

Sounds entirely noble to me.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The exact same as if your 21st birthday falls on Christmas day. You do it some other day. Or just buy in some beer and drink with your friends.
    If I get off work at 7 and a shop I want to go to closes at 6, I don't rant and rave and complain about it, and say it shouldn't be the case. I just work around it.

Would you be inclined to rant and rave (or at least question) if all shops were forced to close at 6pm during Ramadam?

Would you be inclined to rant and rave (or at least question) if all shops were forced to close at 6pm during Ramadam?

If I was in Turkey, no.

If I was in Turkey, no.

What does our nationality or place of residence have to do with it?

What does our nationality or place of residence have to do with it?

Well given the origins of the law you are against the country it's in has a lot to do with it.

Well given the origins of the law you are against the country it's in has a lot to do with it.

It might be relevent to a history lesson; however the fact that we happen to live in Ireland has absolutely nothing to do with whether that law is sustainable and justifiable.

It might be relevent to a history lesson; however the fact that we happen to live in Ireland has absolutely nothing to do with whether that law is sustainable and justifiable.

..and the fact that some don't see the fuss has nothing to do with the hypothetical closing of shops for Ramadan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I disagree. In General when judges are reviewing the consitution one of the modes of intrepretion is based on the history and ethos of the country. In Ireland there are numerous Supreme Court judgements mentioning that.

• Advertisement

..and the fact that some don't see the fuss has nothing to do with the hypothetical closing of shops for Ramadan.

Of course it does.

If the supposed rational justification for a law closing public houses on Good Friday is that it is in respect for Jesus/Christian faith or something of that sort, why dont we close other institutions on particular days which are important for other religous faiths?

Advertisement