Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti in Rush

Options
  • 24-03-2010 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Is anyone else in the Rush area sick of the Graffiti epidemic, from kenure woods, main st to clifflands and lambay view even the mill opposite the national school scumbags are defacing property all over to be honest i reckon its a handful of "scum" doing , have been on to TD's and the council looking to get it cleaned up , it started off at the lodge at the end of kenure woods the council left it it got worse and now seems to have spread all over the town , :mad::mad:

Edit by Beasty

I've toned this down slightly - please don't include anything which could be construed as taking the law into your own hands

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,891 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

How long has it been going on? Is it on private or council property, and is it being removed (who picks up the bill for this type of thing?)

I guess it's one of those things where you need to try and get the local community aware of what's going on (if they are not already, and I guess this is one forum to do this), and try and get a culture of locals reporting anything they do see as quickly as they reasonably can. If it is only a handful, hopefully they can soon be tracked down.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

Its on private and council property ,to be honest it was on coucil property in kenure woods that i noticed it first.
    The council as per usual did nothing and it seems to have got out of control as the scum seem to have free range now. its been going on for the last 2-3 years council seem comatosed regards the issue , if its on there walls they should clean it , if its on private property they should ask the person in a nice way providing them with equipment that it be cleaned up , as much as i think its harsh on the people in question.

I spoke to one council worker the other day asking was the council going to do anything his response was " ah im sure you done the same when you were young" - FFS in the next breath his colleague says well we have to go to have our breakfast rolls.:mad:

I have contacted a local TD who is tabling a question on the mattre and the next meeting. A local cop told me they have asked the council to close the woods up at night which they have refused to do.

And we pay our taxes for these idiots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thank god someone started this thread as i always seem to be moaning.

epidemic would be the word.

I can tell its maybe 4 or 5 people responsible for it as the "tags" seem to be all the same

Acid, Toxic, Sig to name a few. they even targetting houses. i notice up in lambay view there is graffiti on the side of a house.

sure there is graffiti right opposite the garda station.

i am sick of looking at it. there is also graffiti to the entrance to my estate and the back of my bin stores!

grafitti everywhere. i really brings the tone of the area down.

and i will not be taking the law into my own hands but i am on the look out for them now and the gardai will be called immediately . and i will follow the little feckers and direct the gardai straght to them.

opposite the lodge going down brook lane there is a house on the corner with a white wall. it has been repainted for the umpteenth time now. i guarentee you that it will need painting again on monday.

i am not sure what the solution is to be honest. it will be only painted over and providing them with ablank canvas again.

Ah venting is good. i feel better now.

. A local cop told me they have asked the council to close the woods up at night which they have refused to do.

And we pay our taxes for these idiots!!

well there is no way of really closing the woods to be honest.

and if they are closed i think it will just push the graffiti into the town. but i know the woods is a hot spot for nocturnal activity. the gardai need to pester these feckers enough so that the woods is not a place to hang out and drink at night.

the graffiti really sickens me though as i think its the worse case of vandalism

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Martron wrote: »
    and i will not be taking the law into my own hands but i am on the look out for them now and the gardai will be called immediately . and i will follow the little feckers and direct the gardai straght to them.

Oh I'm gonna catch me a tagger. I think we should all aim to. There's one in particular in Skerries and I'm gonna make sure he gets properly prosecuted. I saw s/he had tagged a youngfellas schoolbag from the local secondary school (may even have been him). Gonna be keeping an eye out and when I nab one I'm gonna hold him / her until the gardaí get there. No way an average teenager could outrun me. No problem defending myself. Gonna get me a day in court laughing at all the counts of vandalims that they have to plead guilty to. Yesireeeee!!! :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Good man Khannie, we need more like you !!

Yeah i have a fair idea who a few of them are im as determined as you to catch them. The cops in fairness should be going into local schools and having a look at the artwork and seeing does it match with the local graffiti and be more pro active.

You can get anti graffiti paint that when applied allows you to wash off any graffiti with just water as fair as i know its not cheap though.

Where in Skerries has been affected badly Khannie?

Where in Skerries has been affected badly Khannie?

Jesus....EVERYWHERE! I'll take some pics next time I'm out and about and post them up.

There's an electricity box in plain view of our house that's always getting done. That's the one that I'm gonna nail someone at one day. :D I just haven't seen anyone doing it yet. The ESB paint over it every month or two (fair play to them...I really appreciate them doing it). We once woke up to some really nasty racist stuff written on it. The kind of thing I didn't want my kids reading. I had to go out and paint over it immediately. We only had white paint so it made a perfect canvas for them (instead of the dark green that the ESB use) but it just *had* to go there and then.

The local tidy towns people do a very good job of going around and painting over some of the trouble spots too. Fair play to them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

They are putting it on privare property around the town also. Saw a man on Monday painting his wall for the third time in a year.

Some of this graffiti is being done by non-national kids from what I have been told. Its quite common in parts of Europe where they actually have massive murals similar to the North.

We all need to keep an eye out and report as soon as we see it happening. Oh and if we do hear a name phone the Gardái

LEOB i suspect your right about the non nationals at the risk of sound rascist but the group that use to hang around the woods were all into skateboarding and had graffiti on all there bags and stuff similiar in designs to crap being put on walls, they were eastern european, they should have more bloody respect for there "adopted" country, bit of luck those in question might head back to the motherland soon enough.

What bloody time are they doing it , when i catch one of them ill name and shame them.

Council worker told me he found a black bag a few months with 4 massive cans of the sprays he said they would have dome some damage to the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Chaps - Let's not be tarring any particular section of the community with a big brush here. The vandalism is being done by individuals regardless of colour, creed or nationality. (Ye know how easy it is for racist rants to kick off.)

Thanks,

HB

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Chaps - Let's not be tarring any particular section of the community with a big brush here. The vandalism is being done by individuals regardless of colour, creed or nationality. (Ye know how easy it is for racist rants to kick off.)

Thanks,

HB

Of course. I should have been more clear and said its practically accepted as art in some major European cities. Some of the stuff put up around Rush is as has been pointed out being done a very small minority of local youths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

LeoB wrote: »
    Of course. I should have been more clear and said its practically accepted as art in some major European cities. Some of the stuff put up around Rush is as has been pointed out being done a very small minority of local youths

+1
    i remember being in paris and cologne on a school trip and the place was covered in graffiti,even trucks in paris have graffiti on them for some reason!,but it was different to someone writing their name on a wall it actually looked half decent,

they should just designate a wall somewhere and let the kids spray away,they have one in cork city centre and it has/had some great work on it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

Many young people are unaware that spraying graffiti is a bit more than just a bit of mindless vandalism. In law it is considered to be criminal damage. The old lodge in Kenure woods is leased from the council and the lessee is responsible for removing the unsightly graffiti. It may come as a surprise to some that not removing graffiti from your property/boundary wall etc. can get you a fine from the council under the litter laws.

The most reasonable solution to eradicating the incessant graffiti problem at the lodge would be for the council or the lessee to temporarily install a covert camera to film the perpetrators and use it as evidence to prosecute them. It seems to be a graffiti/litter black spot so the council should do it if they are interested in eliminating the problem for the community.

JRCC wrote: »

The most reasonable solution to eradicating the incessant graffiti problem at the lodge would be for the council or the lessee to temporarily install a covert camera to film the perpetrators and use it as evidence to prosecute them. It seems to be a graffiti/litter black spot so the council should do it if they are interested in eliminating the problem for the community.

Agree about the camera. The lodge being only 50yards from Garda station they could easily have it linked to a screen there or in the lodge. Wonder if the council are serious enough about it.

as we can see from whats happening everywhere the coucil are not serious about anything these days.

i will have my camera ready to photgrapgh any of those feckers of i get a chance.

its disgusting really. Makes me angry . i am actually angree for the property owners that this scum affects.:mad:

anyway ......deep breaths

The very fact that they were able to carry out so much graffiti opposite the police station without any interference gave them carte blanche to move on to other parts of town.

I think anyone on here that is annoyed by the graffiti should contact local politicans to try and get the council to firstly clean up the walls affected and then put spomething in place with the local guards about identifying who is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Its about time something is done. It really has escalated in the last year or so. The scout den at the top of the woods in rush is a disgrace. It was painted about a month ago and is now covered again. Whats worse is that they are even taging the natural stone work on the buliding and not just the plastered newer part. How long has that building been there. Its part of Rush s history and a place where kids go to the scouts and its a stones throw from the Gardai station. What does that tell you about policing in Rush.
    At the other end of the woods there is now major taging done in yellow at the entrance to my estate. This again is done on a wall that has stood for years and also part of the history of the town. It also makes kenure look like you are heading into a kip. (No jokes please:))
    They have even gone as far as taging the cliff face down the north beach. Total disgrace. This is one of the towns major amenities and its taged and it doesnt say welcome to Rush.
    I seen a guy painting the wall at extravision also. I wonder how long it will remain tag free this time. The cricket club wall is covered also. The town is really starting to look bad and I find it embarassing to see all this crap around.

ahhhhhh, Thats feels better. A little

i am originally from coolock and there is not even as much grafitti there as there is here now. ( and no the graffiti rise has nothing got to do with me moving here)

i feel that when the wall is repainted its spurring these people to hit it again.

i know that it probably is a phase that some youngsters are going through but it needs to be dealt with before the next generation of graffit vandals come of age

Well said Lamper policing in Rush is non existant, they may as well have a chinese takeaway where the police station is you would have more chance of finding a guard there:)

Rush is really starting to look horrible with all this crap around, if it was Malahide or Skerries something serious would be done the council and the guards should be popping into the local school and seeing can they identify who is doing it and through the book at them.

I just came across an old e mail i sent back in November to the council asking them to remove stuff near my own house so i forwarded it back asking what are they doing? why are they not enforcing the law with the guards. Think ill pop into the police station later on and ask them have they any desire to stop this scouge on the town or as like most things in Ireland are they just going to pass the buck.

• Advertisement

if it was Malahide or Skerries something serious would be done the council and the guards should be popping into the local school and seeing can they identify who is doing it and through the book at them.

I think it would be a piece of pie for the Gardaí to identify who the tagger that I dislike in Skerries most is. As I said s/he had tagged another kids bag several times. I'm 100% certain that person is / knows the tagger in question. I'm sure they avoid going into the school for a reason.

Maybe we should stop moaning and sort this out ourselves. I'd be happy to chip in for a camera to nail some of this scum with. Anyone else? It should be as easy as cleanly painting a wall that they get regularly then setting up a hidden camera and leaving it there for a while.

Even the threat of knowing that people were doing this would discourage it IMO. All it would take is a prosecution or two for the word to spread that there were hidden cameras being placed at random spots.

I emailed PJ Howell director of enviromental services in Fingal Co. Co. ?basically outlining the issue of graffiti in Rush. I sent the email beofre 6 yesterday and the reply was in my email inbox first thing this morning.

Dear (Martron)

Thank you for your email regarding the problem of graffiti in the Rush area.

I will arrange for the staff in the Environmental Services Section to investigate your complaint and determine where the graffiti is occurring. Where graffiti occurs on Council property, the relevant Council Department is responsible for its removal and we will bring that to their attention. Where graffiti occurs on public buildings under the control of other organisations we will also bring that matter to their attention. Where graffiti occurs on the walls of private residences or businesses, responsibility for removing it lies with the property owners, however we can provide assistance by means of paint and brushes.

We are also liaising with the Gardai and trying to identify where epidemics of graffiti have been created by the same person or persons. We will make contact with the local Gardai for Rush following your email.

Many thanks for drawing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

PJ Howell

Director of Services

I dont think you can get much fairer than that. I would imagine the lads on the ground never pass on information and these higher management level rely on the emails like this to get a picture of what is going on perhaps.
    Well i hope this helps some of you guys and now the matter is with Fingal.

Now if only the other departments of fingal replied just as quick

Khannie its spooky how you seem to have the same thoughts as me only yesterday I was looking on line at getting some sort of surveillance camera , cleaning up some walls and waiting for them to crawl out from their rocks.
    DEALEXTREME.COM have some equipment free post and all from hong kong!!

Martron good to see you got a respone so promptly but not looking to rain on your parade but I got similiar response from the council month back and nothing materalised so dont get your hopes up.;)

well in fairness it means 2 people have complained about it.

there will be a bit of strenght behind the complaints now. its the start.

and in fairness to him i got a reply. thats more than i can say about the other.s

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

not until i read this topic yesterday did i notice any grafitti, now i can leave my estate without seeing it. first bit i noticed which is quite new on a white wall is on a house owned by an elderly couple oppisite the road into haysetown. will the council give the elderly residents and property owners paint and brushes and expect them to remove what a vandel has placed on their property??

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Just a pity that community service orders imposed by the Courts doesn't include removing the likes of graffiti by offenders in general

will the council give the elderly residents and property owners paint and brushes and expect them to remove what a vandel has placed on their property??

Probably wont give them brush's and paint as its private property but could order them to remove it and fine them if its not removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭JRCC

not until i read this topic yesterday did i notice any grafitti, now i can leave my estate without seeing it. first bit i noticed which is quite new on a white wall is on a house owned by an elderly couple oppisite the road into haysetown. will the council give the elderly residents and property owners paint and brushes and expect them to remove what a vandel has placed on their property??

They have given some to residents in the past. I suggest talking to someone in the litter section of the council.

the impression i got off the email i recieved was that they could supply paint and brushess. Its the enviromental dept you need to contact

• Advertisement

I was on to the council today reporting graffiti , used the freephone hotline number 1800201093.

The girl asked whats the location of the graffiti , i said the town of rush. She said can I be more specific. My reply was well no not really its all over the town, i said pick an estate or road and you can find it.

I asked her to send me out some cleaning stuff ill do around my area cos some of the residents in the cairn/cliffllands are not the most active at cleaning up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement