Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redstarsilver

Hi all, I used Passport Express for my daughter's renewal last week, thinking there was a 10 day turnaround, but it's looking more like 14 days at the moment. The status is showing as registered, with an issue date of 01/10/14.

We're due to fly out on the 03/10, so I'm very concerned. Tried Cork ringing but there's a recorded message that no calls are being accepted and the appt service states not to use if already sent through Passport Express.

Anyone have any ideas please? What if I just book the appt anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Hi all, I used Passport Express for my daughter's renewal last week, thinking there was a 10 day turnaround, but it's looking more like 14 days at the moment. The status is showing as registered, with an issue date of 01/10/14.

We're due to fly out on the 03/10, so I'm very concerned. Tried Cork ringing but there's a recorded message that no calls are being accepted and the appt service states not to use if already sent through Passport Express.

Anyone have any ideas please? What if I just book the appt anyway?

The posts above have stated not to book an appointment but to just show up with your tracking number from Passport Express and then seek assistance once you arrive. You do know it's 10 working days, not 10 actual days? I'd wait until early next week to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭wiilow74

Amouar wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I submitted a passport express application through anpost today, and wanted to know if it's possible to track it in anpost site to see when it reaches the passport office?

I've been entering the anpost code on the receipt ( starts with PX and finishes with IE) and no results are shown.

Any clues?

Thanks

The code you are entering is the PX.........IE is the item code for the envelope there should be another code further down your receipt , the application barcode which is an eleven digit number eg . 12345678900 .....that's the code you enter into the track your passport box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

wiilow74 wrote: »
    The code you are entering is the PX.........IE is the item code for the envelope there should be another code further down your receipt , the application barcode which is an eleven digit number eg . 12345678900 .....that's the code you enter into the track your passport box :)

I was talking about tracking the passport express envelope in the anpost site, hence the PX code.

It eventually showed up in the anpost site later that evening.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

Has anyone tried to make an appointment online - I keep getting an error message at the confirmation stage. I've Tweeted and emailed the passport office but don't hold out much hope of hearing from them.

Been trying for a few days now and get the error every time.

• Advertisement

Amouar wrote: »
    I was talking about tracking the passport express envelope in the anpost site, hence the PX code.

It eventually showed up in the anpost site later that evening.

Thanks

Oh got ya , I thought you were tracking your application :) Glad it got there safe and sound for you anyways :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 redstarsilver

The posts above have stated not to book an appointment but to just show up with your tracking number from Passport Express and then seek assistance once you arrive. You do know it's 10 working days, not 10 actual days? I'd wait until early next week to go in.

Thanks!

BTW, I managed to get through to Cork office. Turns out when hubby went to post office he was advised not to send the my daughter's birth cert with her renewal application. They mustn't have realised it was for a minor. Cert on it's way now by registered, should be with them tomorrow, I'll ring in the morning and check.

The status is still received and registered, so think will be a trip down to Cork for us on Monday and fingers crossed we can get it back from them before the flight next Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I asked on here before but my circumstances have since changed.

I'm supposed to be going to Germany with school in November so I'm wondering.

My parents are divorced and I have seen my father in 11 years, he lives in England.

So am I right in thinking my Mam needs to get a court order to claim she's my sole guardian?

Could I not just get her to sign my passport form and leave the part for my father blank as he isn't in the country?

Does anyone know how much a court order would cost?

Thank in advance.

Just thought I'd do an update in case anyone is in a similar position towards myself.

Got my Mam to go into the local court and get the court order, we had to go in front of the judge but we got the court order today no problem.

Then we just did the usual stuff and it was sent off today, grand total including passport express and photos €41.

Delighted that it's in the post now!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Thanks!

BTW, I managed to get through to Cork office. Turns out when hubby went to post office he was advised not to send the my daughter's birth cert with her renewal application. They mustn't have realised it was for a minor. Cert on it's way now by registered, should be with them tomorrow, I'll ring in the morning and check.

The status is still received and registered, so think will be a trip down to Cork for us on Monday and fingers crossed we can get it back from them before the flight next Friday.

I wouldn't bother listening to the post office staff. They are always telling people the wrong things. Your daughter will need the original of her birth cert every time she renews her passport up until she is 18. No need for registered post to the passport office. Postage to the passport office is actually free.

gustafo wrote: »
    My passport is due to expire at the start of december, is it ok for me to apply for a new one now and just send a photocopy of the old one? i will need the old one as i work in the uk and i don't think ill have the time to sort it out next time i come home.

A photocopy if it's within 6 months of expiring is fine. The guard can photocopy the ID page for you at the station and certify it as a true copy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

A lot of this kind of stuff depends on who you talk to in the passport office. I have accepted a photocopy of a DSP card but it was certified as a true copy by the Gardaí. I probably wouldn't accept a photocopy on its own.

If she needs her card then sending it into the office probably wouldn't be practical. If you go to the passport office they can give you a certificate of identity form which can then be completed with the Gardaí

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

A photocopy if it's within 6 months of expiring is fine. The guard can photocopy the ID page for you at the station and certify it as a true copy.

Thanks for that,

I got the pics signed already today at the station so don't fancy going back there again to get the photocopy signed so ill just send it off as is,

I would expect it to be ok or else they would have it stated on there website and at the citizens information website,

I am going to send it away next week before i head back to work can you tell me if i send it through the post office i expect it will have to signed for on it's return?

As there will be nobody here to sign for it is it possible if i say it to the post office and they will keep it for me till i get back?

gustafo wrote: »
    Thanks for that,

I got the pics signed already today at the station so don't fancy going back there again to get the photocopy signed so ill just send it off as is,

I would expect it to be ok or else they would have it stated on there website and at the citizens information website,

I am going to send it away next week before i head back to work can you tell me if i send it through the post office i expect it will have to signed for on it's return?

As there will be nobody here to sign for it is it possible if i say it to the post office and they will keep it for me till i get back?

You don't have to sign to receive your passport. It'll just be thrown through your home address letter box by the postman.

Issue Date: 09/10/2014

Will let you all know how I get on :)

How accurate is the issue date? Like will I get it on that date or after or is it just an estimate?

It is just an estimate.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sumaclpo

Hello!
    So, the wonderful wording on the official info pages of the passport office has left me very very confused (doesn't help that if i can over think something I will do just that)

Especially about photo id! what can I send? I have a british passport, but I don't want to send that as I need it to travel. Could I send my driver's licence (the photocard part)? it mentions a copy of the driver's licence or a certified copy, but to get it certified would take time, plus annoy the lovely and very busy friend of the family whose been helping me get my passport stuff witnessed, etc, and as I have no car (and am about to go on a long trip where I won't be driving) I can live without the licence.

Pulling my hair out a wee bit here!

Any help would be appreciated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Getting a copy certified is only a matter of going to a police station or solicitor isn't it? Ten minutes?

Yeah, and I found out they will accept the original copy! (I wasn't sure if the police office here would do it anymore, I know they stopped offering some services)

So that's one problem solved anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I sent a certified copy of my British passport, they wrote to me asking for the physical passport.

Hmmm...I am also a bit worried about what to send as evidence of address. Problem is I have been working abroad and only got home a month or so ago, so I have no payslips or anything like that to this address. I'm back living with my parents so my name isn't on the utilities bills either. The only correspondence I have is a bank statement (which I'm using as proof of name), an undated letter from the optician's, a letter from last year from my doctor and a recent letter from travel insurance. Would that be ok? Bit confused by what they mean by "official correspondence". I tried phoning the citizen's advice bureau and the women thought it would be better to get my parents to send a utility bill in their name and write a letter saying I was resident at the property, but that seems a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

sumaclpo wrote: »
    Hmmm...I am also a bit worried about what to send as evidence of address. Problem is I have been working abroad and only got home a month or so ago, so I have no payslips or anything like that to this address. I'm back living with my parents so my name isn't on the utilities bills either. The only correspondence I have is a bank statement (which I'm using as proof of name), an undated letter from the optician's, a letter from last year from my doctor and a recent letter from travel insurance. Would that be ok? Bit confused by what they mean by "official correspondence". I tried phoning the citizen's advice bureau and the women thought it would be better to get my parents to send a utility bill in their name and write a letter saying I was resident at the property, but that seems a bit strange.

If memory serves correctly, if you don't have sufficient utility bills, the passport office can give you a certificate of identity document, which you would then get signed by the Gardaí or a solicitor. Not sure if you have to lodge an application first or whether they'll give you the cert of ID without you having an application in the system.

Just for comparisons here's my experience ,

Sept 11th 2014 : Passport Express applications for 1 Adult and 2 Kids passport renewals posted .

Sept 12th 2014 : Passport tracker saying they are received and registered .

Sept 30th 2014 : Passport tracker saying they are printed ( it went to this stage from registered , never showed checking or approved stage as checked 3 times a day as tracker is updated at 07:45am , 13:45pm & 18:45pm every day ).

Oct 1st 2014 : Passport tracker are saying passports posted giving post tracking number so they should be here tomorrow .

So that is 15 working days from when I posted them on Thurs Sept 11th ( counting the 12th Sept as the first working day ) until I receive them on Thurs Oct 2nd so it's about a 3 week wait , my advice get your applications in well before you travel :)

Just to update got the 3 passports an hour ago so the turnaround is 15 working days at the moment ;)

Sorry if this has been asked before but what exactly does the issue date mean?

Does it mean when it's being printed, when it's being sent, when you'll receive it etc?

Also, I know it's just am estimate but is it usually accurate?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry if this has been asked before but what exactly does the issue date mean?

Does it mean when it's being printed, when it's being sent, when you'll receive it etc?

Also, I know it's just am estimate but is it usually accurate?

Thanks

It is really an estimate based on the 10 working days thing but it's running at 15 workings days , I got 3 passports today an it had Sept 25th on the website as the issue date where as it was actually on the passports that the issue date was Sept 30th so it's not really accurate unless in non-peak times .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement