Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭feckhead

Sent renewed application on the 16th, the passport office received on the 17th. Status went from received to being checked last Friday and it's still being checked according to site. So having tried to contact the office with no success (including twitter) I'll be paying a visit to the office tomorrow. I'm flying out Sunday.....probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭MrSzyslak

Just realised lost my passport last remember bringing it to Dublin,,, anyway its gone.

I am travelling to Prague on 22nd August.

could I still get it by post or is it too late? also do I need my birth cert? cant find that either, anyone know where I could get one?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

MrSzyslak wrote: »
    Just realised lost my passport last remember bringing it to Dublin,,, anyway its gone.

I am travelling to Prague on 22nd August.

could I still get it by post or is it too late? also do I need my birth cert? cant find that either, anyone know where I could get one?

Cheers.

You'll essentially be treated like a first time applicant again. You will need your birth cert. Try certificates.ie for your birth cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

They are submitted electronically to the printer like your home computer would to its printer. It takes about 90 seconds I believe to print a passport.

Yes, but they are done in batches of 100 at a time, if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulwilkins81

Hi

Have two applications that were registered on 16th July and status has not changed on the tracker 15 working days later.. Im travelling on 24th August...should I be concerned I don't have them yet..they are our twins first passports?

Cheers

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be overly concerned just yet. First time applications are taking 13 - 15 working days on average, so they could very well be approved today or tomorrow.

You still have two weeks left so I wouldn't start panicking yet.

fxotoole wrote: »
    I wouldn't be overly concerned just yet. First time applications are taking 13 - 15 working days on average, so they could very well be approved today or tomorrow.

You still have two weeks left so I wouldn't start panicking yet.

Can't edit for some reason.

The above is assuming they're entitled to an Irish passport, and that you've completed the forms correctly, followed the photo guidelines, and provided all required documentation, of course. If the applications get to a checker and are rejected, then you should start worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 stingz

hi
    what is the email adress of Dublin passport office ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulwilkins81

Can't edit for some reason.

The above is assuming they're entitled to an Irish passport, and that you've completed the forms correctly, followed the photo guidelines, and provided all required documentation, of course. If the applications get to a checker and are rejected, then you should start worrying.

Checked over the applications four times to ensure all was in order so would be very surprised if its rejected..
    Thanks for the quick reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Got my daughters passport today, turnaround time for reference.

New application

• Registered – 15/7/14
    • (Approximated) Issue date – 28/7/14
    • First sign of movement (being checked) – 05/08/14
    • Approved – 06/08/14
    • In my door – 07/08/14

Roughly 17 days turnaround with the bulk of it in the last 3 days.

Fair play to the folks in passports, they get a rough auld time every year and for the most part they are doing stellar work. Not helped by Justice dumping 4K applications on you at the start of the busy period either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kumar_aq

I had 2 new passport applications on the 11/07 (19 working days as of now).
    The applications are still being checked. It moved to that "being checked" 9 working days ago. So the information "First time applications are taking 13 - 15 working days on average" is not accurate (at least in my case).

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

kumar_aq wrote: »
    I had 2 new passport applications on the 11/07 (19 working days as of now).
    The applications are still being checked. It moved to that "being checked" 9 working days ago. So the information "First time applications are taking 13 - 15 working days on average" is not accurate (at least in my case).

key point highlighted

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

minotour wrote: »
    Fair play to the folks in passports, they get a rough auld time every year and for the most part they are doing stellar work. Not helped by Justice dumping 4K applications on you at the start of the busy period either.

And not helped by everyone who leaves it until the last minute to apply for their Passport.

I don't know why people don't send their application in a few months early, Sweating on a Passport to arrive is not worth the stress.

minotour wrote: »
    key point highlighted

19 Days and counting is 30% off the upper limit of average hence my statement "Not accurate" :)

19 Days and counting is 30% off the upper limit of average hence my statement "Not accurate" :)

9 working days with a checker is unusual, and certainly not the norm. There could be an issue that the checker is trying to resolve but is having a difficult time - i.e. the checker could be chasing a Garda who works night shifts, or might be trying to contact you. There could be any number of reasons why it's taking so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alexv13

l just want to thank jaymcg91 and fxotoole for their help with my passport query. I managed to speak to the passport office in Dublin and I picked up my passport from the Irish embassy in London yesterday. Thanks again.

9 working days with a checker is unusual, and certainly not the norm. There could be an issue that the checker is trying to resolve but is having a difficult time - i.e. the checker could be chasing a Garda who works night shifts, or might be trying to contact you. There could be any number of reasons why it's taking so long.

Thanks for that information.
    I hope the checker gets what he/she wants soon, Nobody calls me, I cannot call them, since they do not pick up the phones. I guess I just have to wait and wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭AngelaG

I have a UK passport. Living in ireland since 1980 . Married and divorced an Irishman. Both my kids have Irish passports. Can I apply for an Irish passport? My grandparents were born in Ireland but not my parent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

This post has been deleted.

If grandparents were born in Ireland they can apply for Foreign Birth Registration

• Advertisement

AngelaG wrote: »
    I have a UK passport. Living in ireland since 1980 . Married and divorced an Irishman. Both my kids have Irish passports. Can I apply for an Irish passport? My grandparents were born in Ireland but not my parent .

Although you don't immediately qualify for an Irish passport, you do have an entitlement to Irish citizenship. You can claim Irish citizenship in one of two ways:

1. Apply for naturalisation on the basis of Irish associations. This is a long and expensive process though. You would need to complete Form 8 from INIS, and provide documentation proving that you were resident in Ireland for 3 out of the 5 most recent years on the island of Ireland. This will cost you up to €1000

More info here :

www. inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%208%20Ver%204.2%20March%202013.pdf/Files/Form%208%20Ver%204.2%20March%202013.pdf

2. You already said that your parent was not born in Ireland, but your grandparent was. Assuming that you were also born outside of the 32 counties of the island of Ireland, then you can apply for Foreign Births Registration. Fees for this is €270 as far as I can tell (€250 for registration and €20 for the cert itself). I could be misinterpreting this though. It could be just €250 and €20 to replace a lost certificate. I don't know what the turnaround time for this is, though.

More information here:

www. dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

You would have to become an Irish citizen via one of these two processes before you would be entitled to an Irish passport.

Is there any way to contact Dublin Passport office, given that the phones and emails are not being answered, and I do not what to travel across the country to make a physical presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Although you don't immediately qualify for an Irish passport, you do have an entitlement to Irish citizenship. You can claim Irish citizenship in one of two ways

2. You already said that your parent was not born in Ireland, but your grandparent was. Assuming that you were also born outside of the 32 counties of the island of Ireland, then you can apply for Foreign Births Registration. Fees for this is €270 as far as I can tell (€250 for registration and €20 for the cert itself). I could be misinterpreting this though. It could be just €250 and €20 to replace a lost certificate. I don't know what the turnaround time for this is, though.

More information here:

www. dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/citizenship/born-abroad/registering-a-foreign-birth/

You would have to become an Irish citizen via one of these two processes before you would be entitled to an Irish passport.

€270 is the correct fee. You complete the form online and print it, then send it in with the fee. Mine was processed within 2 weeks (before the price doubled). Very convenient, and they provide you with 2 certificates.

Is there any way to contact Dublin Passport office, given that the phones and emails are not being answered, and I do not what to travel across the country to make a physical presence.

Phone: 01 6711633
    Fax: 01 6711092
    Email: passportdublin @ dfa.ie

Molesworth Street
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

Twitter: @ passportirl
    DFAT switch number: 014082000
    DFAT contact us page: (I tried to post the link but I can't since I'm a new user. If you google Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Contact Us page, you will find it)

Or failing that, contact your TD

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jack2014

Hi All

I have recently applied to renew my passport via passport express.

The current status on the passport tracker is "Application received and is being checked", The issue date is 12/08/2014.

Does anyone know how long it takes normally for the application to go from being checked to the passport actually being posted?

I'm hoping to fly to Norway on Sunday 17/08/2014 so I would need my passport by Friday at the latest.

Is it worthwhile contacting the passport office on Monday to check when the passport should be ready and If it could be collected in person?

Any help and or advice would be appreciated...

Jack2014 wrote: »
    Hi All

I have recently applied to renew my passport via passport express.

The current status on the passport tracker is "Application received and is being checked", The issue date is 12/08/2014.

Does anyone know how long it takes normally for the application to go from being checked to the passport actually being posted?

I'm hoping to fly to Norway on Sunday 17/08/2014 so I would need my passport by Friday at the latest.

Is it worthwhile contacting the passport office on Monday to check when the passport should be ready and If it could be collected in person?

Any help and or advice would be appreciated...

It can take as little as 24 hours from being checked to being posted.

It can take as little as 24 hours from being checked to being posted.

But that's only if the application is in order, proper docs submitted, photos are OK, etc.

But that's only if the application is in order, proper docs submitted, photos are OK, etc.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

Hello Folks,

A bit of a strange one here.

I travelled to Dublin last month to collect my daughter's passport. Although the full passport was approved and printed,

it was left behind in Balbriggan so they issued me a 1 year 'emergency' passport. It is my understanding that this passport

should be posted back in order for my daughter to receive her full one.

However last week her full one arrived in the post so now she has two passports!

My question is, which one is valid, or are both? We are considering travelling shortly so I don't want to her travelling

on two passports as I've heard this can be regarded as suspicious when travelling, and could cause snarl-ups when booking flights.

I don't want to send back the 1 year passport yet as this may be the only valid one.

Am I being overly cautious?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Aquagakka wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

A bit of a strange one here.

I travelled to Dublin last month to collect my daughter's passport. Although the full passport was approved and printed,

it was left behind in Balbriggan so they issued me a 1 year 'emergency' passport. It is my understanding that this passport

should be posted back in order for my daughter to receive her full one.

However last week her full one arrived in the post so now she has two passports!

My question is, which one is valid, or are both? We are considering travelling shortly so I don't want to her travelling

on two passports as I've heard this can be regarded as suspicious when travelling, and could cause snarl-ups when booking flights.

I don't want to send back the 1 year passport yet as this may be the only valid one.

Am I being overly cautious?

Any help would be appreciated.

Just use the full proper passport that arrived in the post for travel. When you're renewing her passport in 5 years time (I'm guessing she's under 18) just return the two of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement