Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

dbagman wrote: »
    Dibs first autograph!!!

Haha think after feeding him for 20 odd yrs I get first so maybe you can have 2nd ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macapple2014

Hello everyone, I'm new and hope it's OK to ask a question.

Does anyone know if the Irish Embassy staff who approve passports are working tomorrow as it's a bank holiday in Ireland, the Embassy is in the UK and it's not a bank holiday here? My application is at the checked stage and my travel date is getting closer so I need all the working days I can get. I can't get my head around who deals with what!

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hello everyone, I'm new and hope it's OK to ask a question.

Does anyone know if the Irish Embassy staff who approve passports are working tomorrow as it's a bank holiday in Ireland, the Embassy is in the UK and it's not a bank holiday here? My application is at the checked stage and my travel date is getting closer so I need all the working days I can get. I can't get my head around who deals with what!

Many thanks.

Embassies abroad normally close on public holidays here but you should be able to find out on their website

Many thanks Athtrasna.

It says in the closures section, that they are closed 25th August which is the UK one but somewhere else says phone lines will be shut as it's an Irish Bank Holiday. Still not sure but will work on the basis that I won't hear anything till Tuesday at the earliest and anything before that will be a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply Fred, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alexv13

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I'm based in the U.K and I applied for my first Irish passport recently. My application was received on 08/07/2014 and payment taken on 15/07/2014 but the status is still the following:

Status: Application No. 10338300402. Received on 08/07/2014 and has been registered.
    Issue Date: 21/07/2014

I'm starting to worry now as I need my passport to travel next Monday, 11th August.

I assume as payment was taken nearly 3 weeks ago my application has been checked and approved?

Thanks,

Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Alexv13 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me? I'm based in the U.K and I applied for my first Irish passport recently. My application was received on 08/07/2014 and payment taken on 15/07/2014 but the status is still the following:

Status: Application No. 10338300402. Received on 08/07/2014 and has been registered.

I'm starting to worry now as I need my passport to travel next Monday, 11th August.

I assume as payment was taken nearly 3 weeks ago my application has been checked and approved?

Thanks,

Alex

Nope. You're application has been approved when the status says it's been approved. While it's registered it's sitting in a queue waiting for somebody to assess it. Someone earlier in the thread said it can take up to 6 weeks at this time of year, particularly for a first time application from a foreign country.

Thanks jaymcg91. I just thought as they took the money on the 15th July it would of been checked then. As I assumed payment would only be taken if the application was approved.

Thanks jaymcg91. I just thought as they took the money on the 15th July it would of been checked then. As I assumed payment would only be taken if the application was approved.

Well no they take their payment whether your application is approved or not. It does say that somewhere on the forms. You're paying for the service.

• Advertisement

Oh right, would of thought they would take payment when approved. As for whatever reason the application was rejected, they've taken €80 for nothing, how can that be right?

I can only hope it turns up by next Monday (it's looking unlikely!)...

Oh right, would of thought they would take payment when approved. As for whatever reason the application was rejected, they've taken €80 for nothing, how can that be right?

I can only hope it turns up by next Monday (it's looking unlikely!)...

But you're paying for them to assess the application, what do they get if they take the time to do your application and it's wrong otherwise? What they'll generally do is send a letter explaining what they need from you to complete it.

Why not call them tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Hi

My friend is living in the UK, she recently applied to renew her Irish passport. On the tracking website ti saidit was posted on the 21st July, so far it hasn't arrived. Does anyone know if they arrive by recorded delivery or ordinary post, she is afraid it is after getting lost in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Hi

My friend is living in the UK, she recently applied to renew her Irish passport. On the tracking website it says her passport was posted on the 21st July, so far it hasn't arrived. Does anyone know if they arrive by recorded delivery or ordinary post, she is afraid it is after getting lost in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

bluemartin wrote: »
    Hi

My friend is living in the UK, she recently applied to renew her Irish passport. On the tracking website it says her passport was posted on the 21st July, so far it hasn't arrived. Does anyone know if they arrive by recorded delivery or ordinary post, she is afraid it is after getting lost in the post.

Recorded delivery I'd imagine. They'd hardly send original documentation out in ordinary post where there is a possibility that all your docs could get lost.

More than likely it's Royal Mail who are at fault, rather than the Passport Office.

She would need a tracking number though to raise the issue with Royal Mail. Do you have a an application number?

Hi,

Thanks,

Alex

Applications from abroad are currently taking about 6 weeks. That would mean your application would be a processed a week later than your proposed date of travel.

I would advise you to call in to the Passport Office in London with proof of travel to ensure you get your passport in time.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Recorded delivery I'd imagine. They'd hardly send original documentation out in ordinary post where there is a possibility that all your docs could get lost.

More than likely it's Royal Mail who are at fault, rather than the Passport Office.

She would need a tracking number though to raise the issue with Royal Mail. Do you have a an application number?

Just got clarification on this. Apparently the Passport Office in London ask applicants to provide an envelope with a tracking number with their application, so that the Passport Office can return all the docs in the envelope that the applicant provides.

If your friend did not provide an envelope with a tracking number, the Passport Office would have sent it out by 2nd Class Mail.

Either way she'll have to contact Royal Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KyranOHyran

Hey,

I'm travelling on this Sunday the 10/08/14, my passport is due to be issued tomorrow the 06/08/14 but a friend of mine has had his application in a week before me and it was due to be issued on the 30/07/14 but still hasn't even been checked, so from this I gather mine won't be done until at least next week some time. I tried phoning, emailing and tweeting the passport office but haven't being able to get a reply. Anyone got any advice, is it worth going to the office in Dublin? If it's not printed and posted by Thursday at the latest I'm not going to have it on time.

Thanks

Mine moved to Approved at the 13.45 update. I've been holding my breath all morning and have never known a morning to pass so slowly!

Now to be printed, sent to London and posted out to me, before the 14th at the the latest - though if it takes that long I'll be having kittens as so much has gone wrong with this application!

Hey,

I'm travelling on this Sunday the 10/08/14, my passport is due to be issued tomorrow the 06/08/14 but a friend of mine has had his application in a week before me and it was due to be issued on the 30/07/14 but still hasn't even been checked, so from this I gather mine won't be done until at least next week some time. I tried phoning, emailing and tweeting the passport office but haven't being able to get a reply. Anyone got any advice, is it worth going to the office in Dublin? If it's not printed and posted by Thursday at the latest I'm not going to have it on time.

Thanks

Hi, would you have your application number and I can follow this up for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 KyranOHyran

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Robyn199107

I recently applied for a new passport, its was registered on their system on the 01/07/14, I am renewing it because I had originally lost it but then got it back but it was too late as I had already reported it lost. So I sent it off with my new application.

I applied to Passport Express and they say online it will be issued on the 11/08/14, however I travel out on the 12/08/14, does anybody know how I can get it on the time given as I have read other posts and saw people are waiting weeks as its very busy this time of year.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Id be very careful going down the route of offering assistance, unfortunately the system is backlogged but if you get into checking out applications for people, even just the ones on here, it's risky IMO.

I recently applied for a new passport, its was registered on their system on the 01/07/14, I am renewing it because I had originally lost it but then got it back but it was too late as I had already reported it lost. So I sent it off with my new application.

I applied to Passport Express and they say online it will be issued on the 11/08/14, however I travel out on the 12/08/14, does anybody know how I can get it on the time given as I have read other posts and saw people are waiting weeks as its very busy this time of year.

Thank you.

You probably won't get it before the 12th.

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about how the printing process works? Are they sent in big batches to a printers or individually via a computer like printing a document at home? And roughly how long should it take to get from Approved to printed then put in the diplomatic bags back to London for distribution in the UK?

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about how the printing process works? Are they sent in big batches to a printers or individually via a computer like printing a document at home? And roughly how long should it take to get from Approved to printed then put in the diplomatic bags back to London for distribution in the UK?

Many thanks.

They are submitted electronically to the printer like your home computer would to its printer. It takes about 90 seconds I believe to print a passport.

Wow, that's quick. I think I was imagining something along the lines of a book printing press! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ShaunaKazumi

My boyfriend recently lost his passport for the 2nd time in 2years. From what I can gather on citizens info he will only be issued a limited validity passport, which will have to be renewed regularly. Does anyone know how long this type of passport is valid for and how much it costs? I can't tell if they mean it will be valid for a year or that you need a new one everytime you plan on leaving the country which could be 4+ times a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

My boyfriend recently lost his passport for the 2nd time in 2years. From what I can gather on citizens info he will only be issued a limited validity passport, which will have to be renewed regularly. Does anyone know how long this type of passport is valid for and how much it costs? I can't tell if they mean it will be valid for a year or that you need a new one everytime you plan on leaving the country which could be 4+ times a year?

It'll probably be 2 or 3 years in validity. The passport will cost the same as normal. It's a penalty to make you look after your passport. If he manages to hold on to the passport for the length of its validity he'll be issued with a 10 year one again when he renews again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ShaunaKazumi

It'll probably be 2 or 3 years in validity. The passport will cost the same as normal. It's a penalty to make you look after your passport. If he manages to hold on to the passport for the length of its validity he'll be issued with a 10 year one again when he renews again.

Thanks so much!! Fingers crossed we get that sorted so :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement