Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Works seems to of slowed down massively the last week or so , maybe the weather ? as they seemed to having plenty of trouble the last few weeks using the diggers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Works seems to of slowed down massively the last week or so , maybe the weather ? as they seemed to having plenty of trouble the last few weeks using the diggers on it.

Noticed they only have one pilling machine now as well. The yellow one disappeared last week. Still making good progress though. You can see the roundabout bridge support walls (not a good description) forming in the middle of the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Anyone knocking about for some photos of the job. Have no business to cork thses days so I am at a loss. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Getting very sick of the pedestrian route. So many roads to cross.

I'd like if they relined the Bandon Roundabout. With all the heavy lorries and the dirt the lane markings look worn away and are very hard to make out, especially in the dark & wet evenings. Makes getting around the roundabout a bit tricker.

• Advertisement

neddynasty wrote: »
    I'd like if they relined the Bandon Roundabout. With all the heavy lorries and the dirt the lane markings look worn away and are very hard to make out, especially in the dark & wet evenings. Makes getting around the roundabout a bit tricker.
    the sarsfield is far worse , the lines are non existent around a lot of it now, im trying to teach someone to drive at the moment and telling them to pretend theres lines there doesnt help

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Definitely agree about the lack of road markings.
    Ascii wrote: »
    Anyone knocking about for some photos of the job. Have no business to cork thses days so I am at a loss. Thanks

I'll be taking some this day week. I'll post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Pics of the support columns on the Bandon Rd roundabout today.
    Apologies for the quality.

Support Columns @ Eastern side:
    http://i.imgur.com/5i8EP.jpg

Support Columns @ Western side:
    http://i.imgur.com/RXYtU.jpg

Support Columns @ Western side (With Eastern colums in the background):
    http://i.imgur.com/ay41R.jpg

Update received this morning:
    N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    12th December 2011
    Construction works on the N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade Scheme will cease for the holidays on Thursday 22nd December 2011, recommencing on Tuesday 3rd January 2012. The 24 hour helpline will of course continue to operate throughout the holiday period. Should any queries arise in relation to the works during that period the helpline number is 1800 932 046.

As regular commuters will know there has been a focus on works in the Bandon Road Roundabout area over recent weeks and this will certainly continue up to the holiday period. The immediate aim here is to place the bridge beams over the western span at the roundabout in mid to late January 2012. Preparatory works for beam placement will be carried out between the hours of 1.00 a.m. and 6.00 a.m. on Wednesday 14th December 2011. A localised traffic diversion will be in place whereby traffic wishing to use the western half of the Bandon Road Roundabout will be diverted via the Curraheen Interchange. Obviously the works are being carried out in the early morning hours to minimise inconvenience and no significant traffic disruption is anticipated.

Similarly night time works will be carried out on the night of Tuesday 13th December 2011 on the eastern side of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. On both the northern and southern sides of the N25 boundary fencing will be erected at the side of the existing road to facilitate the commencement of off-road works in these areas. Again these works are being carried out outside of normal working hours in order to minimise traffic disruption.
    Works will also continue in the area south of the existing N25 between the Bandon and Sarsfield Road Roundabouts both up to and after the holiday period. An additional drilling rig will be mobilised to this area over the coming days in order to further increase output on the ground improvement piling works required throughout this area.

In overall terms works remain on target for completion by the due date of July 2013 and, as always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us at any time on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 or by e-mail at n25@ccc-site.com. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the scheme progresses should register their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.

Think i will fire them off a email complaining about the Giant puddles which have formed at various spots next to the pedestrian walkway, results in people getting soaked from cars driving by

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

2 more I took of the west side of the Bandon Road Roundabout just before XMas

http://imgur.com/UIE2d

http://imgur.com/kDbgm

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade
    Progress Update
    th January 2012

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Construction works on the N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade Scheme recommenced after the Christmas break on Tuesday 3[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]rd [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]January 2012. The works are currently on course for completion by the due date of July 2013 and, in order to ensure that the works remain on track it is proposed to significantly extend the working hours over the coming period. Starting from Sunday 15[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]th [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]January 2012, drilling works in the area south of the existing N25 will be extended to a seven day working week until they have been completed. No disruption to traffic will arise as a result of these works. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    Placing of the bridge beams on the western span of the Bandon Road Roundabout area will take place during week commencing Monday 16
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]th [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]January 2012 :D. These works will necessitate local traffic diversions with traffic approaching the Bandon Road Roundabout from the Ballincollig Bypass side being diverted via the Curraheen Road. All necessary signage will be in place and the works are being carried out at night in order to minimise traffic disruption. Works will get underway at 11.00 p.m. each night with the road fully re-opened to traffic by 6.00 a.m. the following morning. It is expected that placing of the bridge beams at this structure will take 4 nights to complete from the night of Monday 16[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]th [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]January 2012 to the night of Thursday 19[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]th [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]January 2012 inclusive. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]
    Over the coming weeks works will increasingly focus on the Sarsfield Road Roundabout end of the site. Works required in this area will include construction of a revised roundabout layout, construction of a new overbridge, installation of new culverts under the existing and proposed road, reinforced earth wall construction etc. Minor restrictions and partial road closures will be required from time to time in association with these works and details of these traffic management proposals will be issued in advance as the scheme progresses. Every effort will of course continue to be made to minimise disruption to traffic flow.

As always, those with queries or concerns in relation to any aspect of the scheme can contact us at any time on 021-4969280 or 021-4965830 or by e-mail at n25@ccc-site.com. The freephone helpline number 1800-932046 will also continue in operation throughout the construction period. Those who are interested in obtaining regular progress updates as the scheme progresses should register their email address with us at n25@ccc-site.com.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

July 2013!
    Is there seriously another 18 months of work to be done here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

They've been digging and delving between the Bandon R'bt and Sarsfiel R'bt for the past two months with what looks like very little to show for their efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Jayuu wrote: »
    July 2013!
    Is there seriously another 18 months of work to be done here?

You'll find that parts of the job start to get completed probably by the end of the summer and traffic gets diverted through these new sections then they'll work on another bit and open that up as well in phases.

All the time these little moves will bring some improvement to the situation until they get more or less all the routes completed and then they'll spend a few months tidying up in the background like the big upgrades on the M50 in Dublin. (or so I hope)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

cargo wrote: »
    All the time these little moves will bring some improvement to the situation until they get more or less all the routes completed and then they'll spend a few months tidying up in the background like the big upgrades on the M50 in Dublin. (or so I hope)

M50 is being looked after by a Mgt Company. That makes a big difference than the NRA paying local councils to keep things in shape.

Some bridge beams were laid last night. See attachment.

Saw the 4 beams in place this morning when passing. It was too dull to take a decent picture.

They're making decent progress. They've started marking out the new Sarsfield Roundabout and piling has begun there too. They've filled in the huge trenches (with some kind of sub-base) they dug on the southern side of the existing road too so it's starting to take shape.

They re-painted the lines onto the two roundabouts over the weekend. Makes it much easier to navigate around now.

They re-painted the lines onto the two roundabouts over the weekend. Makes it much easier to navigate around now.
    Yup long overdue since the works were done , had great fun teaching somone how to drive around it telling her "Pretend theres 3 lanes "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

Tremelo wrote: »
    They've been digging and delving between the Bandon R'bt and Sarsfiel R'bt for the past two months with what looks like very little to show for their efforts.

I would disagree on this point. That area is mainly bogland and to support the construction of this road, there needs to be a solid foundation. Alos bearing in mind the amount of piling required, I think they are making great progess. Bearing in mind the volumne of work that has been going on the company is a credit for the little distruption that has taken place.

I would disagree on this point. That area is mainly bogland and to support the construction of this road, there needs to be a solid foundation. Alos bearing in mind the amount of piling required, I think they are making great progess. Bearing in mind the volumne of work that has been going on the company is a credit for the little distruption that has taken place.
    I would agree i pass by at different times of the day all the time , and a lot of work has gone on since christmas on the bogland between dunnes stores and sarsfield rd. The piling has been continous all month , id say its nearly at an end on that side as they seem to be leveling the site off gradually from the dunnes end and working down.

Also a lot of work went on the past week on the opposite side of roundabout next to the Barrs GAA grounds , it looks like they have cleared all that site and are getting it ready to make lanes on it , i assume to clear the existing lanes so they can start flyover construction.

This is the type of work where if your not in the industry or have an intrest it would appear that they have only cleared the sites but in reality a huge amount of prep work has been going on all month there

Oh, I'm aware of all that. But from a purely visual point of view, there's little to show for it, since everything is under the soil.

Oh, I'm aware of all that. But from a purely visual point of view, there's little to show for it, since everything is under the soil.

Not really sure what point your making.. Like anything the prep work must go in first before we see the cosmetic differences.

I would safely say thousands of tonnes of soil have been extracted and replaces with foundation core stone.. Is this not noticable?

From a visual point of view the bandon roundabout has changed dramatically over the last few weeks has it not??

Not really sure what point your making.. Like anything the prep work must go in first before we see the cosmetic differences.

Obviously. But it's the cosmetic differences that passing motorists tend to notice.
    I would safely say thousands of tonnes of soil have been extracted and replaces with foundation core stone.. Is this not noticable?
    To a point, but there's not a huge difference visually between now and eight weeks ago when you're driving by.
    From a visual point of view the bandon roundabout has changed dramatically over the last few weeks has it not??

If you read back, I was specifically talking about the section south of the existing carriageway between the two roundabouts.

Don't worry; I'm not accusing you of dossing.

Obviously. But it's the cosmetic differences that passing motorists tend to notice.

To a point, but there's not a huge difference visually between now and eight weeks ago when you're driving by.

If you read back, I was specifically talking about the section south of the existing carriageway between the two roundabouts.

Don't worry; I'm not accusing you of dossing.

Fair enough on the above points. I guess the difference lies between a construction view and a commuter view of the site. From being involved in road works in the past I tend to notice the differences. But can appreciate from an overall visual perspective it may not be noticeable.

Was driving onto the Bandon Roundabout from the Bishopstown side last night and I have to say the new central structure isn't a visually imposing as I thought it would be. I know the bridge isn't finished yet but the size of it seems to suit the space that was there.

Was driving onto the Bandon Roundabout from the Bishopstown side last night and I have to say the new central structure isn't a visually imposing as I thought it would be. I know the bridge isn't finished yet but the size of it seems to suit the space that was there.
    ya most people would be accustomed to it due to it being similar to kinsale road roundabout one. It will stand out more though once they have lights railings and signage up id say.

Looks like the new carriageway is ready for CBM.

In other SRR news, cantilevers were recently installed for all exits, and new gantries with M8 signage were also installed on the east-bound carriageway between the Douglas and Mahon Point exits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Come on people, some more photos please!

Thank You in advance.

Advertisement