Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Probably won't take long to catalogue. I'd guess it's the Sarsfield R'bout, btw. There was a JCB in the Bandon Roundabout digging away at 7pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Tremelo wrote: »
    Probably won't take long to catalogue. I'd guess it's the Sarsfield R'bout, btw. There was a JCB in the Bandon Roundabout digging away at 7pm.

Last time I seen them boyos in action they were using teaspoons to dig...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

VEayU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Works have been suspended at one of the roundabouts indefinitley due to archeology work. Seemingly the ruins of an ancient building were found while digging.

Is there a link to this anywhere. I have not seen anything anywhere regarding this.

johnayo wrote: »
    Is there a link to this anywhere. I have not seen anything anywhere regarding this.

Nope I was working on it until this happened.

• Advertisement

Nope I was working on it until this happened.

Ha! So we have an insider. What roundabout was the discovery made on, Corkie? Sarsfield, I presume? Also, when will they dismantle the pedestrian bridges?

Ha! So we have an insider. What roundabout was the discovery made on, Corkie? Sarsfield, I presume? Also, when will they dismantle the pedestrian bridges?

I dont know. I only started there today and was sent away at 11am. I was trying to get info of the Engineers but I had no joy. I was told that I am a Contractor and get paid from the neck down...:rolleyes:

I dont know. I only started there today and was sent away at 11am. I was trying to get info of the Engineers but I had no joy. I was told that I am a Contractor and get paid from the neck down...:rolleyes:

You should be back pretty soon. The archaeologists will check it out, catalogue it, and then the works will probably resume.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭homer.j

Would this find not be down at the Bandon Road Roundabout. The only work that was going on around the sarsfield road/roundabout this evening were some earth moving works beside the west-bound carriageway heading towards Doughcloyne/Togher.

homer.j wrote: »
    Would this find not be down at the Bandon Road Roundabout. The only work that was going on around the sarsfield road/roundabout this evening were some earth moving works beside the west-bound carriageway heading towards Doughcloyne/Togher.

Could be, but they've been in a 20ft hole at the Bandon Roundabout for the past week, so I don't think they'd find it only now. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Corkie should be our undercover reporter, dishing all the dirt!

Lots of activity today except in the south-west corner of the Sarsfield Roundabout (where the piler is). Looks like full steam ahead everywhere else.

Detailed updates! The pedestrian bridges are going down simultaneously over the Bank Holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Works have been suspended at one of the roundabouts indefinitley due to archeology work. Seemingly the ruins of an ancient building were found while digging.

Any archaeology at the roundabouts would've been discovered and excavated 15 years ago when they were building the south ring. Anything missed then would've been obliterated once construction started day 1. The subsoil all around there would've been disturbed to an extent that no archaeology would've survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

SeanW wrote: »
    Semi Off-Topic but I would have thought it would make more sense to run the Sarsfield Road OVER the N25 - as you drive down from the City to the current SR, the road goes downhill. I've never taken it but the Sarsfield Road after the SR seems to go back uphill.

I was at the public consoltation for this project about 10 years ago. They looked into that as well as the possibility of a tunnel under the roundabout too.

The tunnel was ruled out due to the area being a bog.

As regards a bridge over the south ring; they felt the gradiant of the Sarsfield Rd from both sides was too steep and that the W effect created by a steep decline, bridge up and down over the N25. and incline back up the hill would have safety implications, particularly for HGVs.

Don't know how plausible or not that is but that was the reasoning at the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So are the pedestrian crossing maps , what pedestrains should expect to use for the next while or just over the long weekend? bit unclear on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Just got this emailed to me in work:

Hi all,

Please be advised of the following progress update for the N25 Bandon/Sarsfield Interchanges Upgrade –

October 2011

Significant night time works are planned over this coming week commencing on the evening of Monday 17th October 2010. The works will be centered on an area approximately 200 meters east of the Sarsfield Road Roundabout. The scope of works required in this area consists of the installation of new services for Bord Gais Eireann, Eircom and UPC across the full width of the South Ring Road. The works are being carried out at night to minimise inconvenience to commuters and it is not anticipated that significant traffic delays will occur.

Works will get underway each evening at approximately 7.30 p.m. and are scheduled to continue until 6.00 a.m. each morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

SeanW wrote: »
    Just read an article in the Echo that a JCB was stolen from the worksite at the Bandon Road, most likely to do an ATM robbery.

There were a few stolen in Dublin too. They found at least one of them in a container heading to eastern Europe.

I say thats exactly where the teleporter and mini-digger are headed too.

I saw this morning they've started putting in a new footpath on the Sarsfield roundabout. I guess long term it's a temp footpath.

Overall works are progressing nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

What day are they closing off the foot-bridges? Wouldn't mind taking a few pics from them before they're knocked down.

• Advertisement

Prowetod wrote: »
    What day are they closing off the foot-bridges? Wouldn't mind taking a few pics from them before they're knocked down.

Probably Friday PM.

Major progress all round as far as I have been observing. The Bandon flyover ramp is really making headway, and the the support structure in the centre of the roundabout itself is just waiting to be poured.

Major earthworks occurred all last week and this week in the stretch between the two roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I have this collection of photos of the Sarsfield area uploaded a while back - I think they were taken around last Easter when I stayed over in Cork. Two of the pics were taken from the top of the Sarsfield Bridge - one looking East along the N25 and one looking West towards the Bandon Road Roundabout.

Regards!

The road between the two roundabouts is closed from Friday 8pm to Tuesday 7am to facilitate the demolition of the two ped bridges. So any time before that I reckon they'll be open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I might stand on the bridge and protest at something or other so I can get on TV.

'Save the ducks' or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MMacP

I live in Belfast and will be travelling to Ringaskiddy on Saturday. I don't know Cork very well and would appreciate if somebody could tell me if my route is likely to be affected by the roadworks.

MMacP wrote: »
    I live in Belfast and will be travelling to Ringaskiddy on Saturday. I don't know Cork very well and would appreciate if somebody could tell me if my route is likely to be affected by the roadworks.

Not affected at all, don't worry. The turn off for Ringaskiddy (N28) is before the construction zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MMacP

Many thanks for the advice

The demolition of the bridges has started:

179529.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Taken this afternoon at Sarsfield Road. Making good progress so far, the span in the middle of the roundabout is now also down. Pedestrian bridge at Bandon Rd Roundabout has been knocked already.
    Attachment not found.

• Advertisement

Taken this afternoon at Sarsfield Road. Making good progress so far, the span in the middle of the roundabout is now also down. Pedestrian bridge at Bandon Rd Roundabout has been knocked already.
    Attachment not found.

Sounds like they're way ahead of schedule :)

Advertisement