Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Not great pics but anyway. Traffic was mental today as the road between the two roundabouts was closed..

2011-10-29134831.jpg

2011-10-29134814.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Whn they started on the Sarfield Road bridge, they removed the southern end first an after they cut the prestress, you could see the sag in the remaining sections on the northern side.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

all gone last night very fast work things are moving at a steady rate on this project well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I agree with Vince: I think SIAC will get this done well in advance of the target completion date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Not great pics but anyway. Traffic was mental today as the road between the two roundabouts was closed..

For me, it's a picture of both joy and sorrow - great that work on the new flyover system is progressing well, but I really miss the 'Rainbow' Sarsfield bridge - I'm so glad I created a set of photos as a record of the now former bridge:

Here's a reminder...
    <we need a sad faced smilie>

• Advertisement

For me, it's a picture of both joy and sorrow - great that work on the new flyover system is progressing well, but I really miss the 'Rainbow' Sarsfield bridge - I'm so glad I created a set of photos as a record of the now former bridge:

Here's a reminder...

Excellent pics, and yes, it's a very good thing that you took them. I will not miss the bridges (except insofar as their absence will make it difficult to take good pics of the construction progress).
    I avoided the South Ring this weekend, and I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow, so I won't see the changes until Wednesday morning. But I am delighted with SIAC's speed, efficiency, and general work ethic. They start early and finish late, and it's all go go go from what I've observed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Here's a reminder...

:-( there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Some updates received this morning.

It was strange passing through the roundabouts this morning and the bridges were missing. It's a much changed landscape without them.

Very impressive photos. I'd not like to have been living close by during the demolition, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Has anybody else had the pleasure of using the pedestrian crossings :(
    Man you have to cross 5 sets of lights to reach the same spot by the ESB its added a good 5 mins to my cycle commute.

hope the paths they put in are temporary cause there no cycle track which is a step back from the situation before, and people love walking 2 abrest on the path which means you have to constantly ask them to move.And before someone steps in saying foothpaths are for walkers, i dont think anyone would encourage a cyclist to cross that roundabouts on these foggy dark mornings and evenings .

Also something odd from crossing through the lights all week , for some reason the pedestrian crossing green man isnt triggering properly sometimes , for example i go up and press the button to cross, the lights would turn red for cars but the green man wont come on for people crossing till the lights cycle green to red again. Which is a wait of a few mins very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Also something odd from crossing through the lights all week , for some reason the pedestrian crossing green man isnt triggering properly sometimes , for example i go up and press the button to cross, the lights would turn red for cars but the green man wont come on for people crossing till the lights cycle green to red again. Which is a wait of a few mins very annoying.

I have no inside info, but I'm willing to bet pressing the 'button' has no impact at all. The entire roundabout has a set pattern programmed. You can't have people messing with it or there would be chaos.

They put in the 'button' because it has been proven that pedestrians will be more comfortable if they think they are in control!!

Think about it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tremelo wrote: »
    Very impressive photos. I'd not like to have been living close by during the demolition, I must say.

I live in Douglas and could here the demolition fairly clearly- can't remember which night it was.

I am really impressed with the speed of the whole build so far, I use the roundabouts twice a day and have not been disrupted at all. Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭alanucc

Just a nugget of information for everyone - the archaeological find at Sarsfield was the remains of the Cork-Macroom railway line which ran along a similar route to the south ring in this area.

Anyone interested can go to shop.osi.ie and click on the map viewer. You can look at present and historic maps, and even overlay them all in the browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

They'll have to re do all the google street view. Should still be able to see our old friend the fly over on that.

harry21 wrote: »
    I have no inside info, but I'm willing to bet pressing the 'button' has no impact at all. The entire roundabout has a set pattern programmed. You can't have people messing with it or there would be chaos.

They put in the 'button' because it has been proven that pedestrians will be more comfortable if they think they are in control!!

Think about it;)
    Also as a user everyday i can tell you I know pushing the button has no impact on traffic light programming , all it does is trigger the green man to display at the appropriate time however..........
    the green man isnt displaying sometimes when the red lights are shown for the traffic which leaves people waiting through another entire cycle for the green man to show , its very odd to see , it doesnt happen every time but its bloody annoying when it does happen . As you can imagine people are hesitant to cross the road even if the lights have just turned red for traffic

Also as a user everyday i can tell you I know pushing the button has no impact on traffic light programming , all it does is trigger the green man to display at the appropriate time however..........
    the green man isnt displaying sometimes when the red lights are shown for the traffic which leaves people waiting through another entire cycle for the green man to show , its very odd to see , it doesnt happen every time but its bloody annoying when it does happen . As you can imagine people are hesitant to cross the road even if the lights have just turned red for traffic
    Seems to be working ok last 2 days maybe someone complained :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

alanucc wrote: »
    Just a nugget of information for everyone - the archaeological find at Sarsfield was the remains of the Cork-Macroom railway line which ran along a similar route to the south ring in this area.

Anyone interested can go to shop.osi.ie and click on the map viewer. You can look at present and historic maps, and even overlay them all in the browser.

Cheers nobody would believe me when I posted about that find..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Cheers nobody would believe me when I posted about that find..

I did but then I knew it was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

Hey there - Any OP have some of the latest pics of the work to give an idea on how it is progressing?

Any updates on its progress would also be appreciated

No recent pics from me yet, but the ramp on the western side of the Bandon RaB is structurally substantially complete and work is now concentrated on what will be the flyover central support in the centre of the roundabout itself.

Between the two roundabouts, bulk earthworks are continuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Ambush Rebel 2010

Tremalo - Thanks for the update.

It seemd like they are making some good progress (away from home) which is good to hear.

Will make my Journey to the City fast once done so love hearing the updates..

I think the real trouble will start once they carry out the work on the Sarsfield piece as space is really limited there.

The Sarsfield upgrade will be interesting because the new mainline will be south of the current mainline. Additionally, the flyover itself is off-centre of the current roundabout, unlike the Bandon flyover:

sarsfield2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Since they're making good progress on the Bandon RB flyover, does anyone know when they finish it if they'll open it straight away?(i.e. before starting or during the Sarsfield RB fluover construction)

Not sure if it would be a benfit or a hindrence trafficwise.

neddynasty wrote: »
    Since they're making good progress on the Bandon RB flyover, does anyone know when they finish it if they'll open it straight away?(i.e. before starting or during the Sarsfield RB fluover construction)

Not sure if it would be a benfit or a hindrence trafficwise.

I've wondered that myself. No idea. It looks like the Bandon flyover will be completed first.

I'd hazard that there are two teams working on the scheme:
    • The flyover crew
    • The dual carriageway crew

The dual carriageway crew are at bulk earthworks for now. They've dug very deeply and it looks like the new N25 mainline will be below current ground level. The crew will be busy here for a long time.

The flyover crew were busy building the ramp west of the Bandon Roundabout until two weeks ago. Now, work there has stopped and is instead progressing in the central island of the Bandon Roundabout.

In my opinion, to build the flyover ramp to the east of the Bandon Roundabout will not be possible without first diverting N25 traffic to the new mainline. So, I think we can expect to see some carriageway put down there and operational, perhaps in a provisional state, before the scheme as a whole is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

"It is not now proposed to install bridge beams at this location in December in order to minimise traffic disruption in the run up to Christmas. The beams for this structure are however likely to be placed in January 2012."

Lol :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

I am so envious :(

Actual work on our transport infrastructure actually taking place!

Up here in The Big Smokeless the last earthmoving machines emigrated about a year ago.

Enjoy it while it lasts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Big Gun

It's the Echo Boy I feel sorry for, he got his P 45 when the bulldozers moved in. Poor kid.

Caution really needs to be taken for the pedestrians around the roundabouts now, they're scarily close to fast movin traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Today
    http://imgur.com/K4qw6 (Bandon Rd West Side)
    http://imgur.com/Q20BV ((Bandon Rd looking East)
    http://imgur.com/xaFWT (Sarsfield Roundabout)
    http://imgur.com/aHIKp (Bandon Rd East Side)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Excellent video - it reminds me of an army of ants devouring a leaf :P

Advertisement