Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerlifters and Rippetoe fans

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

bubbleking wrote: »
    ha sorry didnt mean to stereotype. And i was just using olympic sports as an example - you could use any sport activity really - sprinting, jumping for height/distance, distance running to a lesser extent - any sport that requires power

But only at a high level. Where do you think that power comes from? At a top level then extra strength might not help as they've reached their optimum level but for everyone else a bit of extra strength can't and won't hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ha sorry didnt mean to stereotype. And i was just using olympic sports as an example - you could use any sport activity really - sprinting, jumping for height/distance, distance running to a lesser extent - any sport that requires power

Your argument is very muddled, you're talking about athletes one minute and top heavy amatuers the next. Do you expect anyone to believe that being top heavy is an asset in overall athleticism? Haven't a clue what your argument is tbh because its all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sorry maybe I should have rephrased that to relative strength instead of strength in isolation. If sporting performance was purely based on strength alone then you would see far bigger athletes at world events. Take the javelin or hammer throw for example - yes these guys are big but if they got any bigger their strength might increase but their power would definitely decrease.

I think the relationship between strength and power is a very fine balance

Riiiiiiiight so the stronger you get, the less power you can generate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Your argument is very muddled, you're talking about athletes one minute and top heavy amatuers the next. Do you expect anyone to believe that being top heavy is an asset in overall athleticism? Haven't a clue what your argument is tbh because its all over the place.

ha agreed my argument is very poorly structured.

people on here agreed that losing mass decreases strength while gaining mass increases strength

the point i was trying to make was that if you put on too much mass (although it will improve your strength) it will be a hinderence to sporting performance

therefore increasing strength after a certain point will not increase performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

people on here agreed that losing mass decreases strength while gaining mass increases strength

the point i was trying to make was that if you put on too much mass (although it will improve your strength) it will be a hinderence to sporting performance

therefore increasing strength after a certain point will not increase performance

Your example was poor though, adding mass in one area and ignoring the rest of your body will of course not result in an increase in performance. I'd love to see a real example of where adding strength does not improve performance, they are almost linearly connected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Adding Mass and Adding strength aren't entirely mutually inclusive, the strength gained from improving mass isn't necessarily the same as the mass gained from improving strength.

if ya get what i'm trying to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

Yes but that point is so far out of sight of 99.99% of people that it shouldn't matter.

Advertisement