Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

shell182 wrote: »
    I submitted all BUT the video CV before the interview, I never gave them one and they didn't ask for it again, also they told me I got through to the face to face interview so it obviously isn't TOO important.

They're opening 2 new schools in Abu Dhabi this year btw.

Hey shell182,

Just wondering when they told you that you got through to the face to face interviews?

So far I have just been told that I have been shortlisted for the second interviews. I have sent off all of my documents, (the Garda clearance was surprisingly quick, got it back within 3 days!) except for the copy of my degree which I won't have until June. They seem to send a lot of repetitive emails but when I reply, they just explained that some of the emails are generic and just to ignore them if I have already sent the items on. I also asked them did they know the dates for when the interviews would be in Dublin, but they just said they will let me know the date and time, but nothing specific! So just curious have they given you a date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TempusFugit8

The guy that interviewed me told me about it! sounded hopeful

I found out about 3 days after that I had been shortlisted, they contacted my referees ASAP so if you keep contact with an of your referees ask them to update you!

They ask you to get the paperwork when you find out you've been short listed btw, so no need to run out and get it yet.

ALSO ... strange that she asked about London? They told me that they have interviews in Limerick and Dublin

She asked me about London because I live in the UK. I've been asked for paperwork but no-one's explicitly said I've been shortlisted...bit confused. When/what did they email you to say you'd been shortlisted?

I take it the Abu Dhabi schools will be open for Aug 2015? Are you hoping to go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 shell182

heffo1 wrote: »
    Hey shell182,

Just wondering when they told you that you got through to the face to face interviews?

So far I have just been told that I have been shortlisted for the second interviews. I have sent off all of my documents, (the Garda clearance was surprisingly quick, got it back within 3 days!) except for the copy of my degree which I won't have until June. They seem to send a lot of repetitive emails but when I reply, they just explained that some of the emails are generic and just to ignore them if I have already sent the items on. I also asked them did they know the dates for when the interviews would be in Dublin, but they just said they will let me know the date and time, but nothing specific! So just curious have they given you a date yet?

Nope! I asked, they told me that they haven't scheduled them yet but I will be contacted when they know! ... Im still waiting on the Garda Clearance and its about a week and a half! ugh

She asked me about London because I live in the UK. I've been asked for paperwork but no-one's explicitly said I've been shortlisted...bit confused. When/what did they email you to say you'd been shortlisted?

I take it the Abu Dhabi schools will be open for Aug 2015? Are you hoping to go there?

Sorry I just assumed you were in Ireland since you were on boards (silly thing to assume).

quote from the email
    "Thank you for your interest in a possible teaching position with The International Schools of Choueifat UAE, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain.

I would like to remind you that your application is being considered for the next and final round of interviews for which we require that your file is complete with all the necessary documents.

Kindly note that your file is still missing the following: Police Clearance Report*, Passport Copy, Copy of University Degree(s)**.

Please make sure to submit the aforementioned documents / Information by Tuesday, January 27, 2015, to avoid disappointment."

I guess its not explicit but with them saying that and contacting references I can't assume I'm not shortlisted. Yeah kinda hoping to go to Abu Dhabi, I don't think too many with maths/physics background will apply (just because i assume more with arts/teaching/ english etc would so Im hoping for the best

Ya thats exactly the same email I got! Just the waiting game now I guess! All I know is interviews are in March so hopefully they will get back to us soon!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 sizing europe

Hi lads, I submitted an application for sabis jobs to teach english with an august start date, I done the application probably a week before christmas and I have still heard nothing, anyone else in the same boat? Is it normal to have heard nothing at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I only applied in July, you needn't worry I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TempusFugit8

Sorry I just assumed you were in Ireland since you were on boards (silly thing to assume).

quote from the email
    "Thank you for your interest in a possible teaching position with The International Schools of Choueifat UAE, Oman, Qatar and Bahrain.

I would like to remind you that your application is being considered for the next and final round of interviews for which we require that your file is complete with all the necessary documents.

Kindly note that your file is still missing the following: Police Clearance Report*, Passport Copy, Copy of University Degree(s)**.

Please make sure to submit the aforementioned documents / Information by Tuesday, January 27, 2015, to avoid disappointment."

I guess its not explicit but with them saying that and contacting references I can't assume I'm not shortlisted. Yeah kinda hoping to go to Abu Dhabi, I don't think too many with maths/physics background will apply (just because i assume more with arts/teaching/ english etc would so Im hoping for the best

Ah, okay - I got an email that's basically a variation on a theme. The only difference is that they said urgently rather than stipulate a date that the documents need to be handed over. My current problem is that Disclosure & Barring Service takes about 14 days to produce the police clearance.

Definitely think that they've given you and heffo1 an indication that you've been shortlisted :) yeah, I think that you're right about applications for english etc - that's what I'm applying for and I'm guessing that's one of the most over-subscribed positions. Hoping everything works out for the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

The guy that interviewed me told me about it! sounded hopeful

I found out about 3 days after that I had been shortlisted, they contacted my referees ASAP so if you keep contact with an of your referees ask them to update you!

They ask you to get the paperwork when you find out you've been short listed btw, so no need to run out and get it yet.

ALSO ... strange that she asked about London? They told me that they have interviews in Limerick and Dublin

Can I ask how they contacted your references? I got the same email as everybody else but they said they are having trouble getting in contact with them.

I'm also struggling because my degree in from NUIM and so it is in latin! I'm working in Florida atm so its making everything a bit difficult! Anybody know where/how you get your degree translated?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

omahonrm wrote: »
    Can I ask how they contacted your references? I got the same email as everybody else but they said they are having trouble getting in contact with them.

I'm also struggling because my degree in from NUIM and so it is in latin! I'm working in Florida atm so its making everything a bit difficult! Anybody know where/how you get your degree translated?

I'm the same, you have to go to some website to order it in English, I can't remember off hand how to do it...

• Advertisement

omahonrm wrote: »

They email the references!

Ah, okay - I got an email that's basically a variation on a theme. The only difference is that they said urgently rather than stipulate a date that the documents need to be handed over. My current problem is that Disclosure & Barring Service takes about 14 days to produce the police clearance.

Definitely think that they've given you and heffo1 an indication that you've been shortlisted :) yeah, I think that you're right about applications for english etc - that's what I'm applying for and I'm guessing that's one of the most over-subscribed positions. Hoping everything works out for the best!

Good luck! id say they need plenty of teachers so i wouldn't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Georgie Berkeley

Nope! I asked, they told me that they haven't scheduled them yet but I will be contacted when they know! ... Im still waiting on the Garda Clearance and its about a week and a half! ugh

They ask for a Police Report, but I'm a bit unsure as to what exactly that is. How did you go about applying for Garda clearance, Shell?

I applied and got my police certificate really quick, could have been just a fluke as I handed it into the Garda station myself! You just have to give them a list of all your previous addresses in Ireland, a photocopy of your passport and the reasons why you are looking for the police certificate. You then send it to the superintendent of the area you live in, these are on the Garda website! Its not the same as the Garda vetting, which as far as I'm aware you can only get for organisations like the teaching council, the police certificate is just to say you don't have a criminal record.

Also re interview, I know they are in March, but just wondering anyone who has done the interview last year know were they held during the week or at the weekend? And also how much notice were you given prior to the interview? Like a week or 2?

I applied and got my police certificate really quick, could have been just a fluke as I handed it into the Garda station myself! You just have to give them a list of all your previous addresses in Ireland, a photocopy of your passport and the reasons why you are looking for the police certificate. You then send it to the superintendent of the area you live in, these are on the Garda website! Its not the same as the Garda vetting, which as far as I'm aware you can only get for organisations like the teaching council, the police certificate is just to say you don't have a criminal record.

Also re interview, I know they are in March, but just wondering anyone who has done the interview last year know were they held during the week or at the weekend? And also how much notice were you given prior to the interview? Like a week or 2?

Thanks for that, Heffo. I thought they might've been looking for something more elaborate. What reason did you give for requesting the cert, do you mind me asking?

I just said I applied for a teaching job in the UAE, and when I got the cert back it said, "this is solely for the purpose of obtaining a visa in the UAE, as I just picked the UAE as my only choice so I would include any other countries you are applying to aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Clodagh91

Just wanted to pop in to this post as it has been really helpful. I am in the same boat as everyone else, applied to Sabis for Aug 15, have done my Skype interview which seemed to go very well and they've been in contact with my reference and she has sent off a form for me.

Received the same email to say I've been shortlisted for the final round interviews and iv'e just sent them off a copy of my police clearance form which is the last of the documents they needed so just have to wait now.

The reason I wanted to teach with Sabis is to gain experience as I was hoping to do a PGCE in England next year. I would have applied this year however I have absolutely no experience so I really don't feel I have a chance in getting it also financially, I can't really afford it at the moment.

Where I get offered a place with Sabis will be a massive factor in determining whether or not I go. If i get offered a position I will be travelling over there on my own, which I do find quite daunting but I'm sure there's many in the same boat as me .I was hoping people would keep this post updated if they get offered a place and whereabouts so we can see if there's many people going to the same schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cathy003

Hey Guys :) I'v just started reading this post now, glad to see so many of yee are in the same boat! Had my skype interview which I think went well, they then asked me for all the documentation(police certificate, copy of degree etc) So I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :) Has anyone got confirmation of the face to face interview and what date its on?

Thanks everyone :)

No confirmation of second face to face interview as of yet! I'm hoping this week or next we will hear something!

Just reading through the thread. A poster on one of the earlier pages made what I think is a pertinent remark: very few of those who commented here before setting off to teach with SABIS have returned to relate their experiences. I know its very early days (the face-to-face interviews haven't even taken place yet!) and that the individual schools in the SABIS network no doubt differ in terms of their treatment of teachers, etc.; nonetheless, I'd like to get a general picture of how the company treats its teaching staff. Any help in that regard would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Thanks heffo1 :) Will keep yee posted on what info I hear back! Hopefully its soon, this waiting around is the worst.!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 loretta1224

Hiya i had the same as you. Interview in December and asked me to submit my documents. I got an email today saying I was successful for final round of skype interviews taking place next week. Anyone else have this?

Hi loretta1224, Congrats! :) No I didn't hear anything yet :( i thought there was final face to face interviews? Maybe they'v changed them to skype?

Anyone else on here get that email today? :) Thanks guys

Cathy003 wrote: »
    Hi loretta1224, Congrats! :) No I didn't hear anything yet :( i thought there was final face to face interviews? Maybe they'v changed them to skype?

Anyone else on here get that email today? :) Thanks guys

Hi Cathy, thanks I don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing. From the first interview they told me face to face interviews were in march and never said anything about another skype interview. So confused now and anxious 😨hopefully you will know soon. Keep me posted. 😊

Hiya i had the same as you. Interview in December and asked me to submit my documents. I got an email today saying I was successful for final round of skype interviews taking place next week. Anyone else have this?

Congrats!! I haven't heard anything back yet either, will be keeping an even closer eye on my emails from now on!

Congrats!! I haven't heard anything back yet either, will be keeping an even closer eye on my emails from now on!

Hiya thanks. I thought it would be face to face interviews next so I'm just hoping for the best. Will you update here when you get word so we will know we are in the same boat. Where are you hoping to teach?

Hiya thanks. I thought it would be face to face interviews next so I'm just hoping for the best. Will you update here when you get word so we will know we are in the same boat. Where are you hoping to teach?

I just put down the UAE so anywhere there and I'd be happy! Hopefully get a mail over the next few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Stevie86

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me how I go about applying for Sabis? I'm trying to register and having a problem.

If there's another way of applying could someone tell me, please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mermaidmoment

Sabis is not an organisation that I would recommend. Above all, it is a money making organisation that does not care about the welfare of children or staff. The directors are generally ruthless and do not care about the proper or appropriate delivery of education. I have never felt so bullied or intimidated in my life as I did when I was working with them. I had a great time living in the UAE and made friends for life- so in that regard it was a positive experience. However, if you are a qualified teacher, they are to be avoided like the plague. Their teaching methods go against everything we have been trained to do in western universities. They will undermine you and make you feel like everything that goes wrong in their outdated system is your fault. They do not acknowledge behavioural disorders and will blame the teacher for situations that are out of our control. There is no such thing as differentiation in this curriculum- so if a less able child is not achieving.. YOU will be blamed. You are not treated like a professional, you are treated like a naughty school child. Every Monday we had to endure half hour staff meetings which would slate us and tell us we were useless. They would say to our faces that we may as well go home because they could replace us within 24 hours. The behaviour in the schools is like nothing I have ever seen. Children run riot and your daily task becomes centred around crowd control, not teaching. Why do you think there are always so many vacancies for unqualified teachers? No one with experience in education would settle for the horrific standards. They get by on propaganda, luring Irish graduates over with the prospect of a tax free salary and various benefits. On the first two days of their 'training' they will fill your head with utter propaganda, making their beloved 'point system' out to be the the be all and end all of education. It's a cult like mindset, if I'm being honest.
    I'm not saying my entire experience was terrible, the UAE is a wonderful country. But those 8 hours working with those people was soul destroying. If you're looking for experience and are thick skinned, by all means go for it (Especially if you are given KG grades). But if you are a qualified teacher, avoid!! You will gain nothing professionally from such an experience. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

They have a facebook page, Teaching in Dubai, the links for applying are on that!

Advertisement