Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Yeah no problem I'm happy to help. I wish I knew a lot more before I came as well, information is hard to get lol.

The school's right next to the beach, but they're man made beaches, so IMO not great. No one ever uses them for fun, they're just not really suitable for that. Within walking distance there is...

Crossfit gym
    Small shopping mall
    2-3 restaurants
    Proper gym
    Hospital
    Laundry/car rental
    Aviary

That's it really. Pay varies depending on your job, but yeah the average is what you say there, around 18,000 tax free a year. Phone prices are a little cheaper than Ireland I think (mobile). Internet is also pretty cheap, nothing to worry about really. I eat a lot, and always cook everything, I also buy as much health/organic food as I can. I spend around 80-100 a week. If you're coming to save money only, then I think Bahrain is probably one of the best places to go.

No problems about the questions, keep asking away, Sabis is pretty secretive about the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 shell182

Yeah no problem I'm happy to help. I wish I knew a lot more before I came as well, information is hard to get lol.

The school's right next to the beach, but they're man made beaches, so IMO not great. No one ever uses them for fun, they're just not really suitable for that. Within walking distance there is...

Crossfit gym
    Small shopping mall
    2-3 restaurants
    Proper gym
    Hospital
    Laundry/car rental
    Aviary

That's it really. Pay varies depending on your job, but yeah the average is what you say there, around 18,000 tax free a year. Phone prices are a little cheaper than Ireland I think (mobile). Internet is also pretty cheap, nothing to worry about really. I eat a lot, and always cook everything, I also buy as much health/organic food as I can. I spend around 80-100 a week. If you're coming to save money only, then I think Bahrain is probably one of the best places to go.

No problems about the questions, keep asking away, Sabis is pretty secretive about the details.

Are there local markets that you can go to buy veg etc?
    Sounds pretty ok over there....would you do it again if you were to go back in time? LOL.
    Whats the place like that they put you up in?

There's a really fancy local market across the road called Alosra, you can get really high quality food there of all varieties. I usually get organic peanut butter etc there. You can get any type of fruit and veg you want also. Twice a week a bus goes in and out of Manama for free also. I always use that time to go on a big shop each week. Be advised though that fresh vegetables are EXPENSIVE. I pretty much just eat frozen veg and fresh banans/apples for that now. Although even frozen veg is expensive in comparison to Ireland.

The accommodation is really nice. I was surprised how nice it is actually. And it's free! Best of all, it's only a 3 min walk to work lol.

You only spend money on..

1: Food
    2: Transport/fun if you want more than two free trips into town a week.
    3: Internet and phone

I came here to save money, and it's great for me. I happy to be here progressing. I'm getting teaching experience, money, exercise and 6 hours free in the evening to do what I like and still have 9 hours sleep.

I'd be lying if I said that I wanted to stay a long time, as the job is pretty hard (keep in mind I teach music, not an academic subject). But I only need to stay one year for the money I need. So if I had to do it again, I would. What would you be teaching here?

There's a really fancy local market across the road called Alosra, you can get really high quality food there of all varieties. I usually get organic peanut butter etc there. You can get any type of fruit and veg you want also. Twice a week a bus goes in and out of Manama for free also. I always use that time to go on a big shop each week. Be advised though that fresh vegetables are EXPENSIVE. I pretty much just eat frozen veg and fresh banans/apples for that now. Although even frozen veg is expensive in comparison to Ireland.

The accommodation is really nice. I was surprised how nice it is actually. And it's free! Best of all, it's only a 3 min walk to work lol.

You only spend money on..

1: Food
    2: Transport/fun if you want more than two free trips into town a week.
    3: Internet and phone

I came here to save money, and it's great for me. I happy to be here progressing. I'm getting teaching experience, money, exercise and 6 hours free in the evening to do what I like and still have 9 hours sleep.

I'd be lying if I said that I wanted to stay a long time, as the job is pretty hard (keep in mind I teach music, not an academic subject). But I only need to stay one year for the money I need. So if I had to do it again, I would. What would you be teaching here?

I guess a lot of produce needs to be imported over there..I can't imagine much grows well in a desert lol. It sounds pretty good over there! I'd be going over with the same intentions really (If they offer me the job). I think Physics and Maths though I'm not really sure, Ive asked them to confirm it though. Teaching isn't exactly the profession I want to go into but it would be a handy way of saving saving up for a masters.

So if your only staying for the year is that until the end of the school year or is the contract from august to august?

Well I don't know if I'll be here longer than a year yet, we'll see!

There is a summer school for July-ish kind of time. If you do that then you don't go home for long, although you get another 2 months pay which is nice. A normal year is from September to June.

• Advertisement

Well I don't know if I'll be here longer than a year yet, we'll see!

There is a summer school for July-ish kind of time. If you do that then you don't go home for long, although you get another 2 months pay which is nice. A normal year is from September to June.

Thanks BigStupidGuy!! you've put to rest a lot of worries I had about the job! Now lets just hope I get it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TempusFugit8

Hi, I stumbled across this thread after I'd applied for a Sabis post (starting Aug 2015).

Just trying to find out as much info as I can before interview. Can anyone give me a rough idea of salary range for an unqualified teacher in Dubai? I've seen the 1500eur/1120gbp figure bandied about but is that still the current benchmark? The determining factor for me will be how much is offered/how much I can save; I'm trying to finance further study.

And (excuse my naïveté/ignorance) is dubai/the UAE relatively safe for single female travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 heffo1

I am in the same boat as yourself, hoping to finance further study, and I heard also that the wage is approximately €1,500 per month, and keeping in mind, no rent, no utilities, we should definitely be able to save a good bit while there! And also like yourself, i'm a girl and had the same hesitation as you, but I spoke with a couple of people I know living in the UAE and they both said its a slight culture shock at first but is very safe and a big Irish community out there, so that has put me at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darragh2009

Hi guys,

I just got an email to say I have a Skype interview next Sunday after just filling out the application for August 2015. I didn't specify any particular jobs that I was applying for. I have a BA in social Care so not really sure what I would be teaching? Can anyone help me with this?

Also what questions have you been asked in the interview? I tend to get very nervous in these situations! So I like to be prepared.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

I just got an email to say I have a Skype interview next Sunday after just filling out the application for August 2015. I didn't specify any particular jobs that I was applying for. I have a BA in social Care so not really sure what I would be teaching? Can anyone help me with this?

Also what questions have you been asked in the interview? I tend to get very nervous in these situations! So I like to be prepared.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance!

Hey!

Is it at 7am? Mine was, first tip, dress smart from waist up and keep the pj bottoms on and go back to bed after lol.

They do ask what you'd like to teach, what you think you'd be able to teach and up to what level. I know a lot of people with BA's that they take on end up teaching english and sociology.

they asked me if I think i could deal with the cultural differences?
    could i see any issues with this?
    Would i be able to handle large classes of about 30?
    how would i like my students to see me (that one made me stumble)?
    Be able to show your knowledge of the points system of teaching!
    Are you happy to teach in an environment that you have NO input whatsoever!? (say yes)
    What would you do if you were having problems?
    What would you do if you found the lesson plans too restrictive?
    Where are your preferences for teaching?

I think that was about it, it would quite casual, takes about 30 minutes ...Not too much to worry about, I hope this helps!

• Advertisement

shell182 wrote: »
    Hey!

Is it at 7am? Mine was, first tip, dress smart from waist up and keep the pj bottoms on and go back to bed after lol.

They do ask what you'd like to teach, what you think you'd be able to teach and up to what level. I know a lot of people with BA's that they take on end up teaching english and sociology.

they asked me if I think i could deal with the cultural differences?
    could i see any issues with this?
    Would i be able to handle large classes of about 30?
    how would i like my students to see me (that one made me stumble)?
    Be able to show your knowledge of the points system of teaching!
    Are you happy to teach in an environment that you have NO input whatsoever!? (say yes)
    What would you do if you were having problems?
    What would you do if you found the lesson plans too restrictive?
    Where are your preferences for teaching?

I think that was about it, it would quite casual, takes about 30 minutes ...Not too much to worry about, I hope this helps![/quot

Thanks so much shell182. Great advice! Did u have your interview for 2015 or was that for last year? Mine is at 7.30 on a Sunday morning! Still waiting on my log in details though to fill out the application form.

Thanks so much shell182. Great advice! Did u have your interview for 2015 or was that for last year? Mine is at 7.30 on a Sunday morning! Still waiting on my log in details though to fill out the application form.

For this yeaR:) Hoping to go to either Abu Dhabi, Doha or Bahrain... where are you going to put down?

The application form is the worst part!

For this yeaR:) Hoping to go to either Abu Dhabi, Doha or Bahrain... where are you going to put down?

Haven't really thought much about where to be honest! I better start looking into it. I emailed them straight back asking them for my log in details but still waiting for a reply! I don't want to get my hopes up but I'd love it!

Here's a tip. Get used to getting up at 7am lol. I get up at 6am everyday for work here.

Shell182
    I got my password and user name this morning with a list of other things to send.
    1. Completed application form.
    2. Your Skype username/ID
    3. Recent electronic passport photograph.
    4. Most recent resume.
    5. A simple 2 minute video CV (you can upload your cv to the link mentioned above)
    6. Best Time to contact you by phone (+ or - GMT Time) & full contact numbers with all dialling codes

Did you submit all of these prior to our Skype interview

Here's a tip. Get used to getting up at 7am lol. I get up at 6am everyday for work here.

I don't mind the getting up early! It's just doing an interview first thing. What kind of clothes would you wear to work bigstupidguy?

@heffo1 thanks for letting me know. I don't know anyone out there, so wasn't sure what to expect.

@darragh2009 I've just finished my interview. I think shell182 questions covered everything I was asked. My interview was quite informal - don't worry!

Now I need to do some research into the other schools/locations. My interviewer said they do try to take into account location preference but sometimes it's not always possible to get your first choice. If anyone knows the best place(s) to go if you're looking to save money please let me know!

And good luck to everyone applying :)

@heffo1 thanks for letting me know. I don't know anyone out there, so wasn't sure what to expect.

@darragh2009 I've just finished my interview. I think shell182 questions covered everything I was asked. My interview was quite informal - don't worry!

Now I need to do some research into the other schools/locations. My interviewer said they do try to take into account location preference but sometimes it's not always possible to get your first choice. If anyone knows the best place(s) to go if you're looking to save money please let me know!

And good luck to everyone applying :)

Thanks TempusFugit8. Was the interview long? Had you done the video cv and everything before your Skype interview?

I don't mind the getting up early! It's just doing an interview first thing. What kind of clothes would you wear to work bigstupidguy?

Shirt, slacks, tie optional.

Shell182
    I got my password and user name this morning with a list of other things to send.
    1. Completed application form.
    2. Your Skype username/ID
    3. Recent electronic passport photograph.
    4. Most recent resume.
    5. A simple 2 minute video CV (you can upload your cv to the link mentioned above)
    6. Best Time to contact you by phone (+ or - GMT Time) & full contact numbers with all dialling codes

Did you submit all of these prior to our Skype interview

I submitted all BUT the video CV before the interview, I never gave them one and they didn't ask for it again, also they told me I got through to the face to face interview so it obviously isn't TOO important.

They're opening 2 new schools in Abu Dhabi this year btw.

• Advertisement

I submitted all BUT the video CV before the interview, I never gave them one and they didn't ask for it again, also they told me I got through to the face to face interview so it obviously isn't TOO important.

They're opening 2 new schools in Abu Dhabi this year btw.

Oh that's good to know thanks! I wouldn't even know where to start with the 2 minute video. Did you email the application form? I don't see a place to upload it online?

Oh that's good to know thanks! I wouldn't even know where to start with the 2 minute video. Did you email the application form? I don't see a place to upload it online?

Yeah just email it all to them, where did you put down?

I hope it isn't Saudi, Oman or Iraq haha. A girl I know got offered Iraq last year, safe to say she didn't go

Yeah just email it all to them, where did you put down?

I hope it isn't Saudi, Oman or Iraq haha. A girl I know got offered Iraq last year, safe to say she didn't go

Haven't got that far yet. Did you fill in every subject on the qualifications and school part? Including junior cert?

Haven't got that far yet. Did you fill in every subject on the qualifications and school part? Including junior cert?
    No I just said leaving cert - 445 points, thats it!

No I just said leaving cert - 445 points, thats it!

This application form is boring!

Thanks TempusFugit8. Was the interview long? Had you done the video cv and everything before your Skype interview?

I'm not really sure how long it was, maybe 45-50mins or so. But part of that time towards the end was the interviewer answering my questions. I had done everything except the video cv too. Hope this helps.

Shell182 - how did you hear that they're opening 2 new chools in Abu Dhabi?

I did the video CV, it was painful.

Just be prepared to say...

Why you want to go
    How can you deal with 30+ kids
    A description the points system

And have some good questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

I did my Skype interview yesterday, seemed to go well but I couldn't see the lady interviewing me so couldnt see her reactions! How long should we expect to wait before we hear back for a second interview?

omahonrm wrote: »
    I did my Skype interview yesterday, seemed to go well but I couldn't see the lady interviewing me so couldnt see her reactions! How long should we expect to wait before we hear back for a second interview?

Glad it wasn't just me - I didn't see my interviewer either! Did think it was a bit strange having a one-way video call.
    Two weeks is what they normally say. Having said that she asked my availability to travel to London for the next round and I'm having to send all my other paperwork on to them - don't know whether this is a good sign or just standard. I'd really rather know if I'm in the running for a place before I have to sort out all my paperwork out tbh.

• Advertisement

I'm not really sure how long it was, maybe 45-50mins or so. But part of that time towards the end was the interviewer answering my questions. I had done everything except the video cv too. Hope this helps.

Shell182 - how did you hear that they're opening 2 new chools in Abu Dhabi?

The guy that interviewed me told me about it! sounded hopeful
    Glad it wasn't just me - I didn't see my interviewer either! Did think it was a bit strange having a one-way video call.
    Two weeks is what they normally say. Having said that she asked my availability to travel to London for the next round and I'm having to send all my other paperwork on to them - don't know whether this is a good sign or just standard. I'd really rather know if I'm in the running for a place before I have to sort out all my paperwork out tbh.

I found out about 3 days after that I had been shortlisted, they contacted my referees ASAP so if you keep contact with an of your referees ask them to update you!

They ask you to get the paperwork when you find out you've been short listed btw, so no need to run out and get it yet.

ALSO ... strange that she asked about London? They told me that they have interviews in Limerick and Dublin

Advertisement