Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink (just Metrolink posts here -see post #1 )

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Downsizing on the project just to save a few pennies is incredibly short-sighted. The platforms should be at minimum 90m, not 60m crap. So it will be just be more half built, underperforming, delayed infrastructure. Why can't we ever do anything right the first time in Ireland.

There is no way they can justify 60m when the Luas is already 53m. I'm going to be optimistic and say they'll be 90m. Based entirely on the feels

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

First I'm hearing of an ERP being made public soon at least publicly from the Minister

It's been posted around here a few times. Posters on this forum seem to be more alert to what's going on than the Minister, which is depressing and not surprising.

The Minister seems to be the last person to find out these things due to lack of interest. Most of his answer to Noel Rock above is generic repetitive spoof.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We desperately need Transport reshuffled out of Ross' maw. Split Sport and Tourism back off again and leave him with them, give Paschal the Transport job alongside Finance.

A man can dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

marno21 wrote: »
    It's been posted around here a few times. Posters on this forum seem to be more alert to what's going on than the Minister, which is depressing and not surprising.

The Minister seems to be the last person to find out these things due to lack of interest. Most of his answer to Noel Rock above is generic repetitive spoof.

Yes but posters on here while often correct and very knowledgeable aren't the Minster. This seems to be the first official word of the EPR which you seem to be agreeing with in a round about way hence why I posted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

There is no way they can justify 60m when the Luas is already 53m. I'm going to be optimistic and say they'll be 90m. Based entirely on the feels
    Yeah but will they even still go with the 60m proposal from the get go and waste everyone's time or will their new plan feature 90 m from the get go? If it's 60m, it's beyond a joke ...

I think I did the calculations before and they propose a 33% cut in capacity to save 3% of the project budget!!! A lot of which would go back to government coffers anyway. So there is a proposal to cut capacity by 33% to save as good as nothing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Jacob IDOM win New Metro North

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As posted above, here's the online link to the article:

Jacobs and IDOM have been awarded the contract for design and planning submission of New Metro North:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/jacobs-and-idom-win-metro-contract-ddjtkgjbf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Jacobs and IDOM have been awarded the contract for design and planning submission of New Metro North:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/jacobs-and-idom-win-metro-contract-ddjtkgjbf

Annfield just about beat you to it 😉

When it says 6 stops will be underground do we know which 6?
    Presumably city centre and Airport for a start ?

D Trent wrote: »
    Annfield just about beat you to it 😉

When it says 6 stops will be underground do we know which 6?
    Presumably city centre and Airport for a start ?
    Haha snap!

Have we even been told the exact stops for New Metro North yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Haha snap!

Have we even been told the exact stops for New Metro North yet?

No but last plan announcement also listed 6 of 14 stops underground:

Stephens Green
    O’Connell St
    Mater
    Drumcondra
    Griffith Avenue
    Airport

https://www.globalairrail.com/images/news/2015/New_Metro_North_-_Map_and_Key_Facts-2.jpg

• Advertisement

Neworder79 wrote: »
    No but last plan announcement also listed 6 of 14 stops underground:

Stephens Green
    O’Connell St
    Mater
    Drumcondra
    Griffith Avenue
    Airport

https://www.globalairrail.com/images/news/2015/New_Metro_North_-_Map_and_Key_Facts-2.jpg
    Thanks - I think this was published a few years ago.

I'm looking forward to an update where a sensible alignment is published with no at grade running inside the M50. And confirmation that whoever suggested the at grade running got a kick in the head.

I'd imagine any press pieces written at the minute are largely running off of the info from that last announcement. So it may not be indicative of what we actually end up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CreativeSen

Out of curiosity, where do you think the stop in Drumcondra is most likely to be situated?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Out of curiosity, where do you think the stop in Drumcondra is most likely to be situated?
    Underneath the existing Drumcondra Station I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

So is the initially proposed park and ride facility North of Swords not happening now? That is beyond stupid. Having P+R at the Northern terminus would have meant there would have been a bigger catchment area for MN. Sigh.

So is the initially proposed park and ride facility North of Swords not happening now? That is beyond stupid. Having P+R at the Northern terminus would have meant there would have been a bigger catchment area for MN. Sigh.

Where are you getting that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

MJohnston wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from?

There's no mention of any stops beyond Swords and this diagram of NMN doesn't look too promising:
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/New_Metro_North_-_Map_and_Key_Facts-1-e14495753249811.jpg

There's no mention of any stops beyond Swords and this diagram of NMN doesn't look too promising:
    https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/New_Metro_North_-_Map_and_Key_Facts-1-e14495753249811.jpg

That's a years old (2015) infographic, nothing more. The route shown and the stations shown are purely indicative, and not exact or definite. We've seen no concrete, detailed plans for this NMN yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Looks like Friday 16 will be the big day for the capital plan. It's obviously got as far as Ministers and advisers, as bits are being leaked.
    On Metro North:
    The Government is once again considering revising the scope of the long-planned Metro North rail link between Dublin city centre, Dublin Airport and Swords as part of its €115 billion capital plan.

The underground element of the 17km route was cut back in 2015 by then minister for transport Paschal Donohoe on cost grounds. 

However, informed sources last night said that under the revised proposals more of the track could end up being subterranean. This comes amid controversy in Dublin over traffic issues arising from the new Luas cross-city line. 

The change has been discussed at the highest levels of Government, although well-placed sources said the capital plan, which sets out intended infrastructure spending for the next decade, has not yet been finalised. It is due to be published on Friday. 

Good news if this means either elevated or underground running through Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

If true, an absolute joke. At this point, why don't they build the original Metro North which has an approved and live railway order until 2020 I believe. By the time they've spent money on new designs, consultants etc, the original saving by going with New Metro North will have evaporated.

• Advertisement

richiek83 wrote: »
    If true, an absolute joke. At this point, why don't they build the original Metro North which has an approved and live railway order until 2020 I believe. By the time they've spent money on new designs, consultants etc, the original saving by going with New Metro North will have evaporated.
    I went on about it up until very recently . It's not going to happen. I do see one or two advantages to new scheme, it won't involve changing from luas green line to use metro north, we get metro south. The other potential advantages, that we should get, but probably won't, is automation of the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fionnsci

richiek83 wrote: »

I think we should move on from this argument. We've been hearing it for years. It's being redesigned and has a new timescale.

Yeah, I believe the mods have asked people to stop bringing up Old Metro North at this stage. It's dead and buried and not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cormac616

What do would ye lot think of continuing the metro north to Malahide or Donabate to connect with the northern line for a Belfast and DART connection to the airport or do that many people from Belfast even use Dublin Airport?

I suppose the walk from Connolly station to O'Connell street isn't huge but Id say it'd save a lot of time.

You could do it insofar as it would be very helpful for the residents of Donabate, Skerries, Rush, or Lusk to have a station with big Park and Ride ambitions in Donabate for example.

What we shouldn't be doing is throwing additional stations and track length (and therefore train running time) onto the project simply to accommodate people heading to the airport. The real aim of MN is to be a commuter option for Dublin.

cormac616 wrote: »
    What do would ye lot think of continuing the metro north to Malahide or Donabate to connect with the northern line for a Belfast and DART connection to the airport or do that many people from Belfast even use Dublin Airport?

I suppose the walk from Connolly station to O'Connell street isn't huge but Id say it'd save a lot of time.
    what? They would go all the way into town and back out to airport? They won't in that case. They will keep using the car based option

Just heard a brief update on metro north. A ff td came on and fair play to him he sounded fairly pissed off, he was sick of the talking and planning. It needs to built. I think we are sick and tired of it ...

You could do it insofar as it would be very helpful for the residents of Donabate, Skerries, Rush, or Lusk to have a station with big Park and Ride ambitions in Donabate for example.

What we shouldn't be doing is throwing additional stations and track length (and therefore train running time) onto the project simply to accommodate people heading to the airport. The real aim of MN is to be a commuter option for Dublin.
    CAnt they do a short running?

I'd personally rather see DAA get involved in transport - there should be a fully-automated people mover system like many, many airports already have, that would connect the 2 terminals with the long term parking directly to the east of the terminals, and then onward to an interchange with DART and rail at Portmarnock.

Track distance on this would be about 4km, which is very comparable to airport people mover systems around the globe - SFO and Newark off the top of my head, maybe even Washington Dulles. Heathrow even has some insane individual pod transit system that operates over a similar distance.

This would avoid the capacity issues of a DART spur, would provide interlinks with internal airport infrastructure (like long-term parking, car rental facilities, etc.), and being fully automated it'd be extremely fast and frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Idbatterim wrote: »
    :confused:
    A ff to cake on and fair play to him

Come again?

• Advertisement

I'd personally rather see DAA get involved in transport - there should be a fully-automated people mover system like many, many airports already have, that would connect the 2 terminals with the long term parking directly to the east of the terminals, and then onward to an interchange with DART and rail at Portmarnock.

Track distance on this would be about 4km, which is very comparable to airport people mover systems around the globe - SFO and Newark off the top of my head, maybe even Washington Dulles. Heathrow even has some insane individual pod transit system that operates over a similar distance.

This would avoid the capacity issues of a DART spur, would provide interlinks with internal airport infrastructure (like long-term parking, car rental facilities, etc.), and being fully automated it'd be extremely fast and frequent.
    that sounds very interesting! Wouldn't have cie involvement and could it be borrowed for off balance sheet? Hang on. How about a spur with metro north for the exact route that you propose? Wouldn't that solve another issue mentioned above? Ie bringing metro north further and further out? Surely metro north across the open fields along the proposed route to clongriffin, couldn't cost that much?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement