Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N30 - Gorey to Enniscorthy [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

vicwatson wrote: »
    Have roads ever been moved from a "preferred route" i.e. Is the preferred route the route it'll be within the 300 metres come hell or high water or has it ever been a case where they've decided to go with one of the other route options?

Generally they stay in or around the final preferred corridor unless ABP shoots it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The existing road at Solsborogh is no more,the new bridge will be coming across there.

0C7.jpg

Here's the flood plain that the bridge will cross:

0C8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    The existing road at Solsborogh is no more,the new bridge will be coming across there.

0C7.jpg

Here's the flood plain that the bridge will cross:

0C8.jpg

That's going to be a huge construction job.

jca wrote: »
    That's going to be a huge construction job.

One mistake they made was forgetting to put up signs nearer Enniscorthy that the road was closed,one poor truck driver had to reverse 2km to turn around as he couldn't make the turn at the lane where the road is closed.Signs now in place at Mr.Price giving advanced warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Forgive the pic quality it was taken through the window of the tractor.

Work going on this morning on the bypass at monart.
    2016_12_02_12.jpg

• Advertisement

Looks like they'll be going under the Marshalstown road,the excavations have gone really deep there. I'll try to get some photos.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So, how are the earthworks on this scheme progressing? Are they apparent along much of the route now?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Ballyorrill section of the N30 is really taking shape, they are getting lucky that the hill they are digging through is providing the rock to build up the mainline plus the rock is easy enough to dig through so no blasting or breakers needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Advertisement

The road from Enniscorthy to Marshalstown via The Milehouse is to close on 9th January.The excavations there are gone down several metres below ground level.I reckon a new bridge will be built while the road is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Has anybody heard any update on this claim by Howlin that this project would be extended to the bypass of Oilgate or are we debunking this as political broken promises?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard any update on this claim by Howlin that this project would be extended to the bypass of Oilgate or are we debunking this as political broken promises?
    There has been ZERO mention of an Oilgate BP since the election. We'll see in the next few days when TII's 2017 allocations come out if there's any funding provided for the next year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

TBH there are far more urgent priorities than the Oilgate bypass.

The M20 between Cork and Limerick comes to mind.

JupiterKid wrote: »

Oh sure don't I know. The M20 won't earn votes for Howlin though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

JupiterKid wrote: »

Practically any other project would be more urgent than the Oylgate bypass. Not a hope of it happening now I'd say unless they end up with massive tailbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's nuts that Oilgate wasn't included in the Enniscorthy bypass, but I guess when it was being planned the country was awash with cash and it seemed certain the last section to Rosslare would be started shortly afterwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There'll be no tailbacks - Oylegate has a wide N11 alignment there. I think we're taking our eyes off the ball by talking so much about it tbh.

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2017/2017NAT_WexfordCoCo.pdf

No allocation for the supposed Oilgate bypass for 2017. It was all made up by the looks of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Patww79 wrote: »

we'll see I guess, it's just frustrating that for the sake of 2km of road in a 50km project, drivers will be going from 120km/h to 50km/h to trundle through a small village, when they could have been going straight onto a wide straight 100km/h N road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

loyatemu wrote: »
    we'll see I guess, it's just frustrating that for the sake of 2km of road in a 50km project, drivers will be going from 120km/h to 50km/h to trundle through a small village, when they could have been going straight onto a wide straight 100km/h N road.

Agreed. Ending a motorway before a town where 2km of road will bypass it is a staggeringly stupid bit of planning.

I know, things were different when this was planned. But still.

Just extend it. It won't cost THAT much in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed. Ending a motorway before a town where 2km of road will bypass it is a staggeringly stupid bit of planning.

I know, things were different when this was planned. But still.

Just extend it. It won't cost THAT much in the grand scheme of things.
    The southern part of this scheme is grossly overspecced to begin with. It shows how overspecced it is that it's apparently ok for a motorway carrying upto 50k vehicles can terminate 2km from a village and it's something that won't be changed for well over 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭josip

marno21 wrote: »
    The southern part of this scheme is grossly overspecced to begin with. It shows how overspecced it is that it's apparently ok for a motorway carrying upto 50k vehicles can terminate 2km from a village and it's something that won't be changed for well over 10 years.

What does the 50k refer to?
    The NRA's AADT between Oylegate and Ferrycarrig was 13630.
    https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6

• Registered Users Posts: 20,418 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

marno21 wrote: »

Why is it overspecced?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I notice the allocation of 120K for " security " at the Gorey service area, will this mess ever end

josip wrote: »
    What does the 50k refer to?
    The NRA's AADT between Oylegate and Ferrycarrig was 13630.
    https://www.nratrafficdata.ie/c2/gmapbasic.asp?sgid=ZvyVmXU8jBt9PJE$c7UXt6
    kneemos wrote: »
    Why is it overspecced?

The original plan was motorway as far as the Enniscorthy junction and 2+2 after. Not all of that 13k AADT will be using the M11.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    You'd imagine traffic would be well dispersed at that stage and a lot of it gone to Enniscorthy, New Ross, Waterford, etc so I can't see too many hold-ups in Oylegate.

As a local,that's a very busy road. Rosslare Europort adds to this especially in the Summer. I'm sure people remember the hold ups between The Beehive pub and Rathnew on the N11 before when the motorway ended there. At Oylegate it will be worse.On bank holidays and all Summer half of Dublin use the road to get to holiday homes and beaches in Wexford, anybody that's tried to get through Enniscorthy on a sunny Friday evening can testify to that.

Advertisement