Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

One thing that does worry me is the S&C side of things, we didn't look like fellas that were bursting out of their skins yesterday in fact we were fairly laboured and lethargic, have my doubts about what ever program they are on at this stage. Last year was the same too

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Interesting article from Ger Loughnane and hard words for Limerick.

"It wasn't a question of Clare being a better team than Limerick. Rather, it was a question of which team was the least bad on the day".

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/winning-allireland-in-2013-was-the-greatest-fluke-of-all-time-ger-loughnane-slams-limited-clare-35789300.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Loughnane has so many chips on his shoulder I've lost count. Wouldn't take any notice of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Loughnane has so many chips on his shoulder I've lost count. Wouldn't take any notice of him.

Very hard to argue with Lougnane here Everything he said is true

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Real Limerick hurling.We want real Limerick hurling.Yeah and how many all senior all Irelands has Limericks blood and guts style of hurling won in the last 43 years?I think John Kiely will get it right if given time and patience.I think a lot of the more senior players on the panel need a reality check.They were made semi gods by some Limerick supporters for losing to a below par Kilkenny team by a point in the 2014 all Ireland semi final, and they've been living on the back of that ever since.A lot of the senior players on the panel are happy enough with moral defeats and being also rans.It's a mentality that Limerick hurling needs to get rid of imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Real Limerick hurling.We want real Limerick hurling.Yeah and how many all senior all Irelands has Limericks blood and guts style of hurling won in the last 43 years?I think John Kiely will get it right if given time and patience.I think a lot of the more senior players on the panel need a reality check.They were made semi gods by some Limerick supporters for losing to a below par Kilkenny team by a point in the 2014 all Ireland semi final, and they've been living on the back of that ever since.A lot of the senior players on the panel are happy enough with moral defeats and being also rans.It's a mentality that Limerick hurling needs to get rid of imo.

Have to agree.
    There is something wrong somewhere.
    Same thing year in year out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

loughnane has a job, sell papers, to sell one must be conterversial, to bring attention to his pay cheque

Excellent performance from the u-21s, not often we demolish Tipp at any level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HurlingRanker

Oh ****...... Away to Kilkenny :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

No point avoiding good teams. Have to play one at some stage. They should fúck the kitchen sink at em

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    No point avoiding good teams. Have to play one at some stage. They should fúck the kitchen sink at em

I think this team is a bit 'green' yet to be going to visit an angry Kilkenny with a point to prove at Nowlan Park, they just couldn't live with Galway's physicality both times they played them in the league, we're far too easy to bully out of a game and Kilkenny should have no problem dealing with us accordingly.

The only question is, will we stand up and get stuck in or will we just lie down and let them have it all their way, those Galway games really were massively concerning.

Agreed but you will only improve by playing good teams. Limerick have been hammering poor teams in qualifiers and 1B for years and it's done them no good.

They may take a beating but if you can't get up for a game like this then you shouldn't be playing county hurling

Agreed but you will only improve by playing good teams. Limerick have been hammering poor teams in qualifiers and 1B for years and it's done them no good.

They may take a beating but if you can't get up for a game like this then you shouldn't be playing county hurling

Yeah, we'll certainly learn a thing or two about a handful of players with question marks hanging over them, and I don't just mean the new younger players.

The last time Limerick put in a proper performance was the 2014 semi final, I honestly wonder though did the bit of praise and backslapping the team received for that game go to some of their heads because the same hunger was never again evident under T.J. Some of the older players have regressed since then, and let's not forget, they're not old by any means, we don't have a single player over the age of 30 in the squad, we have a lot of lads who appear to have peaked in their mid 20's and have fallen off a cliff as they approach 30.

A lot of questions will be answered, in some ways this is probably the perfect test. Hopefully we can make Kilkenny work hard for the victory, we've had a few too many tame capitulations over the last few years for me to have any confidence coming into this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

A lot of questions will be answered, in some ways this is probably the perfect test. Hopefully we can make Kilkenny work hard for the victory, we've had a few too many tame capitulations over the last few years for me to have any confidence coming into this though.

Jaysus lads that seriously defeatist, I give Limerick a real chance in this game, in fact if it had been in the Gaelic Grounds I would have went as far as saying that Id nearly make ye favourites.

Be under no illusions this is not the Kilkenny of 2006-2014, yes they still have some great hurlers, yes they have the greatest manager the game has ever or is ever likely to see but they also have a list of problems as long as my arm and it hasn't got any shorter since Wexford.

Do Limerick really think that they are that far behind Wexford, that they can't themselves push and even topple Kilkenny? Limerick have a young team, many of whom have won an U21 AI and many of whom are also likely to win a second this year.

There was always a saying in Limerick hurling , that Limerick never feared Tipp and history has shown that they have upset the odds on a number of occasions against Tipp and the fans are always bullish about beating Tipp, I don't get why it shouldn't be the same against Kilkenny - Limerick could and probably should have beaten them in 2014, and Kilkenny have regressed massively since then.

It's a real disadvantage we have to go to Nowlan, but we need to look at it positively. Imagine if we went into the history books as Cody's last hurrah :D

It's either all or nothing with Limerick fans. At the moment we see nothing (to be fair based on poor performances for over 18 months). But if we win Saturday watch the bandwagon roll again.

Instead of looking forward to the challenge we live in fear of losing. It's the mentality of the supporters and I think it is the mentality of the team too.

A bit like England in international soccer. We are so afraid of underperformance that we often cripple ourselves before the game is played.

I hope this doesn't happen on Saturday but I've seen it often over the last 30 years. Every now and then we get the mentality right like 07,13 and AISF 14 but it's rare.

Nowlan park is a big advantage for Kilkenny but surely if Wexford can do it we have a chance. We should be loving the opportunity to have a go at them. I hope the players and management see it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

It's either all or nothing with Limerick fans. At the moment we see nothing (to be fair based on poor performances for over 18 months). But if we win Saturday watch the bandwagon roll again.

Instead of looking forward to the challenge we live in fear of losing. It's the mentality of the supporters and I think it is the mentality of the team too.

A bit like England in international soccer. We are so afraid of underperformance that we often cripple ourselves before the game is played.

I hope this doesn't happen on Saturday but I've seen it often over the last 30 years. Every now and then we get the mentality right like 07,13 and AISF 14 but it's rare.

Nowlan park is a big advantage for Kilkenny but surely if Wexford can do it we have a chance. We should be loving the opportunity to have a go at them. I hope the players and management see it that way.

This. Need to throw off the shackles and go out and have a right cut off them. Good few lads have a lot to prove after the Clare game. All about the attitude.

I fear our usual failings will come back and haunt us though namely forwards who can't win their own ball and stupid wides.

danganabu wrote: »
    There was always a saying in Limerick hurling , that Limerick never feared Tipp and history has shown that they have upset the odds on a number of occasions against Tipp and the fans are always bullish about beating Tipp, I don't get why it shouldn't be the same against Kilkenny - Limerick could and probably should have beaten them in 2014, and Kilkenny have regressed massively since then.

We have regressed since then too, and unlike us Kilkenny won two All-Irelands in the meantime. Plus, Kilkenny haven't regressed as much as some would like to think, they'll still have a big say yet this year I suspect.

Doesn't matter whether or not Limerick fear Tipperary (or anyone else), that lack of fear counted for nothing when they annihilated us at the Gaelic Grounds in 2015 and we never threatened them last year in Thurles despite Tipperary playing 50 minutes with 14 men.

There's a big difference between defeatism and realism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Jaysus lads that seriously defeatist, I give Limerick a real chance in this game, in fact if it had been in the Gaelic Grounds I would have went as far as saying that Id nearly make ye favourites.

Be under no illusions this is not the Kilkenny of 2006-2014, yes they still have some great hurlers, yes they have the greatest manager the game has ever or is ever likely to see but they also have a list of problems as long as my arm and it hasn't got any shorter since Wexford.

Do Limerick really think that they are that far behind Wexford, that they can't themselves push and even topple Kilkenny? Limerick have a young team, many of whom have won an U21 AI and many of whom are also likely to win a second this year.

What do you make of Limerick's performances against Galway in Limerick incidentally and indeed their overall performance, style and attitude against Clare ?

There's a big difference between defeatism and realism.

Fair enough, you think Limerick have no chance, I disagree, for what its worth I see the bookies have priced it up as a 4 point game, which I think is spot on and it is certainly not the foregone conclusion some see it as.
    shawnee wrote: »
    What do you make of Limerick's performances against Galway in Limerick incidentally and indeed their overall performance, style and attitude against Clare ?

The Galway games were the league which has to be taken into consideration and secondly Limerick were bullied by Galway, but there is no other team in the country as physically imposing as Galway and Limerick are a very young team, the conditions in spring were always going to favour them.

The Clare game was a massive let down and Limerick were incredibly poor and it goes without saying a repeat of that and its curtains, but I definitely believe Limerick are better than that, Ritchie McCarthy is still a massive liability and Colin Fennelly could have a field day, but Fennelly has as many bad days as good, if not more. Limerick also need to get more end product from Cian Lynch, he has good speed, great skill but in reality delivers very little, the U21 game may well have brought hi and others on a level.

And let me flip the question - What did you think of Kilkenny's performance against Wexford?

• Advertisement

What will team for Saturday be? Presume G Mulcahy will be dropped finally and Nash may start?
    Will Hegarty or Byrnes be back? What about Pat Ryan midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

if the management and players can't get motivated for this match then we have bigger issues than just ability. I can  accept if we lose to a better team once we give 100%.
    I'm sure that most of the team may not have actually been in Nowlan Park which may be a factor? - and i'll need to look up directions myself. We'll be up against it with nothing to lose which is 'normally' when we're at our best but for most of the Clare game the performance was a long way off whats needed on Saturday night.
    Will travel in hope more than expectation on Saturday but nothing is impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Formosa

It's a real disadvantage we have to go to Nowlan, but we need to look at it positively. Imagine if we went into the history books as Cody's last hurrah :D
    Well ye rather famously were Nickey Brennan's last hurrah in the not too distant past....history going to repeat itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Brian Gavin of Offaly is named as referee.
    Whatever slim hope we had of causing the 'upset of the decade' has definitely vanished now.
    No point in travelling a 5 hour round trip when we already know what lies ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

washman3 wrote: »
    Brian Gavin of Offaly is named as referee.
    Whatever slim hope we had of causing the 'upset of the decade' has definitely vanished now.
    No point in travelling a 5 hour round trip when we already know what lies ahead.

You expressed the same opinion over in the Kilkenny thread.

Your post said it was "well documented" that Gavin "hates Limerick with a passion".

Any chance you'd elaborate?
    washman3 wrote: »
    Game,set and match to Kilkenny so.
    If there was ever a glimmer of hope that Limerick may cause a huge shock, this is the final nail in the coffin now. Well documented that he hates Limerick with a passion, and for no apparent reason.

You expressed the same opinion over in the Kilkenny thread.

Your post said it was "well documented" that Gavin "hates Limerick with a passion".

Any chance you'd elaborate?

washman3 wrote it in his diary!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Browney7 wrote: »
    This. Need to throw off the shackles and go out and have a right cut off them. Good few lads have a lot to prove after the Clare game. All about the attitude.

I fear our usual failings will come back and haunt us though namely forwards who can't win their own ball and stupid wides.

what does this even mean?

what shackles are on limerick would you say?

Maybe limerick might actually need a few shackles to keep the full back in his own half of the field for example

what does this even mean?

what shackles are on limerick would you say?

Maybe limerick might actually need a few shackles to keep the full back in his own half of the field for example

Well they do tend to hurl within themselves and without belief at times, they only seem to do the opposite when playing Tipp :P

Ritchie can't hurl regardless of which half of the field he is in, never understood the iconic status he seems to have with a significant portion of the Limerick support, he is a liability plain and simple. A good FB in the modern game is a FB that you dont even notice is playing, do the simple things well, play the percentages and sacrifice your own game for the sake of the team - pretty much the exact opposite to what Ritchie does!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Byrnes out is the big news a steep hill just got steeper if we go out and give it a lash I still think we've got a chance Hegarty in is a plus also o Donovan for Jim Bob is surely a plus as jims legs are gone don't know if they'll line out as selected there might be some changes before the throw in defo don't want to see Hayes in full forward line do want dowling there and definitely don't want dowling defending and it'd be nice if r Mac didn't run one yard with the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Well they do tend to hurl within themselves and without belief at times, they only seem to do the opposite when playing Tipp :P

Ritchie can't hurl regardless of which half of the field he is in, never understood the iconic status he seems to have with a significant portion of the Limerick support, he is a liability plain and simple. A good FB in the modern game is a FB that you dont even notice is playing, do the simple things well, play the percentages and sacrifice your own game for the sake of the team - pretty much the exact opposite to what Ritchie does!

Think your comments on r mac are harsh he might not be the full back he was but in 13/14 I thought he was outstanding and would admit it took me a while to recognise this. If he does the basics Saturday night he might be ok

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement