Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

You can't compare Kilkenny, Tipp and Cork to the likes of Waterford, Limerick or Clare.

Clare don't have much of a history of outside managers to my knowledge (and two, McCarthy and Gaynor were catalysts for success there) and it hasn't really served them that well. Equally, Waterford outside managers have a much better record than inside. There do seem to be a few good coaches from Limerick ie Kinnerk, Cunningham but outside expertise from the likes of Kilkenny, Cork and Tipp could help Counties without the same tradition.

Id there should be people from the County involved in all setups but your coach doesn't need to be from your own County nor your manager really. I don't think parish pride inhibits success at all. The height of their own ambition will dictate how successful they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The view from the general Limerick public seems to be that getting Daly was a big coup. I can see why people think that, he is a big name. A bigger name isn't always a better coach though. I don't want to come across as being harsh on Daly though, I am a fan of his, just not too happy that we've lost Wallis.

Cregan is obviously gone too, I know Hanalei mentioned that there was mixed views from some of the players on him... I have heard that personality-wise, he can be very grating. But purely as a coach, I've heard nothing but good things tbh and he could be a loss too.

As for the outside managers thing... while it is great for counties to have internal managers, it is no guarantee of success. Just because Kilkenny, Cork or Tipp don't really appoint outsider doesn't mean no one should. How do we know that if they had, they might be even more successful than they have been? You can't really judge with no sample to base it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fireball07 wrote: »
    The view from the general Limerick public seems to be that getting Daly was a big coup. I can see why people think that, he is a big name. A bigger name isn't always a better coach though. I don't want to come across as being harsh on Daly though, I am a fan of his, just not too happy that we've lost Wallis.

Cregan is obviously gone too, I know Hanalei mentioned that there was mixed views from some of the players on him... I have heard that personality-wise, he can be very grating. But purely as a coach, I've heard nothing but good things tbh and he could be a loss too.

As for the outside managers thing... while it is great for counties to have internal managers, it is no guarantee of success. Just because Kilkenny, Cork or Tipp don't really appoint outsider doesn't mean no one should. How do we know that if they had, they might be even more successful than they have been? You can't really judge with no sample to base it on.

I never said no one should but when it comes to minor and under 21 level it becomes a farce and when a succession of outsiders are appointed at senior level there has to be a breakdown in the coaching structures within that county. Rather than continuing to appoint outsiders at considerable expense without them achieving any success then it is perhaps time to stop doing it and invest in the coaching structures within the county

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Daly is doing both roles with limerick hurling it seems.
    My opinion is I don't think this appointment will work at all.

As said by some here daly record as progressive coach is not exceptional, I do think he done okay with clare and I'd rate him as manager and dublin to degree but coaching I wouldn't tbh think he's great that aera
    He won a leinster title with dublin but as said here by a poster in  valid points dublin suffered huge defeats at times

He was coaching director with kikmhill in clare doing exactly same role bringing under fourteen to minor
    Didn't set world alight even though it's football aera so he had resistance to be fair to overcome.

He's going to bring he own drills so imo it be be hugely different than Wallis and considering  it's four months to the cork game I think a huge sea change will work against them mid term
    For a man that's always be main man, hard see how he'll work second command to Leo when imo limerick have two managers now that imo are not specialsed coaches of strength
    I see daly more as a manager.

I remain to be convinced tactical wise is he better than Wallis

Hurling talent is in limerick but direction and innovation is paramount to success, daly has leadership and certainly good communication with players but to develop innovative strategy, vision of coaching plan from underage fourteen to the minors and implement successful one I'd have doubts at intercounty level.

I'd agree with the poster said john Minogue would be ideal like you said or even séanie mcmahon from clare perspective but hes with clare probably or even jamsie o connor but he's probably too much on
    Imo joe Quaid would been ideal, thinks outside box, desire,hunger be successful, very intelligent hurling wise
    Should got main role few years ago but was declined it but then offered selector and rightfully so declined the offer of being a selector when having won all ireland under sixteen in 2012 beating Galway in final in nenagh handy ronan lynch got goal should stayed that group players and him as manager and Wallis coach would worked treat with excellent Steven macdonagh as defence Coach .

Himself and niall moran imo only coaches in limerick could work with minors as for senior imo I don't think any one in limerick is up to the job as the main man seen by fact most county titles club are even not won by limerick coached teams
    Peter finn obviously good coach but apparently if true declined work senior this year
    Kinnerks going travelling but committing clare afterwards

Imo kinnerks would never join tj Ryan set up. Offered lucatravie deal in august declined as imo he favours short possession game in he coaching, why would he join limerick who won't even contemplating such style and there's evidence kinnerks can coach a direct style yes but he favours short game, that's crucial points missed imo.

I watched caoimhins twice this year under him and they played a short sweeper game even at school level and possesion game essentially.

A lot of the time it seems to be forgotten to take this factor in consideration when repeatedly linking him to limerick
    Style of play with limerick and clare imo is completely different.
    Clare can play orthodox or a sweeper. Kinnerk has two styles, yes this magnificent seven different styles that Davy claimed clare have is probably a myth, but there certainly no one trick poney imo.

Limerick could play a sweeper successfully and possesion game with new generation but won't.

Imo he joined limerick football as he has major influence as because it is seen as a poor relation no body wants know much bout it so he will be left alone do things he way and won't be questioned at all, and can do things he way and has major say in the running of it.

If he's with hurling no guarantee that some one in limerick hurling won't give him seem freedom of ownership to do things he's way às some in limerick think they can do better on occasions as history clearly shows.

He's with clare under twenty ones and senior and despite the myth, Davy Fitzgerald imo is not the dictator being made out to be but trusts coaches like kinnerks and allows them do things there way and at under twenty one and senior been successful with clare

It's valid concern in imo to suggest that if he's in limerick hurling in some role or other he won't get the level of ownership despite he's wonderful track record and it's no surprise imo he will rejoin clare next year.
    Yes he has clare connections strong ones. but imo equally as strong with limerick as fireball made the point but he chooses football rather than limerick hurling,but with clare hurling he chooses.

It was mentioned that the rot set in clare, he left. I don't agree.
    He's going back to clare next year.
    No rot in clare. Dual players Davy was right to end it and I saw clare train once this year just two weeks ago so far,certainly don't look like a team with problems in the camp.
    The camp looked totally behind Davy,great moral in training and last year clare were tired team. No under twenty ones commitment next year for many they will be fresher.
    There doing ball work already even and clear targeting the early league games away to Galway and cork and they will be a force next year imo.
    There from what I saw and people I talk to no problem in clare camp.

The limerick county board chairman Mann said at convention weekend he thought limerick intermediate and under twenty ones were success despite both loosing ist round games, The under twenty ones being well beaten by nine points yet Mann said limerick done well at this grade this year.

In the Intermediate limerick should won that game both in extra time and normal time and had a lead yet couldn't close out the game and tippeary had a new team from the previous year before, yet still beat limerick, yet Mann said limerick intermediate were fine.
    Loosing a game you should won against a second string tipp imo is not sign things were fine.
    Problem was not talent imo coaching was.

Yet the irony in board school management imo calling failures success , where with Wallis despite having radically changed under age structure from grass roots up and brought huge success to limerick yet he is ruthlessly dismissed

I see Mann launched severe critism of kiely imo who is good journalist in limerick leader this week , imo one few limerick journalists actually gave fair balanced views thinks.
    You may not agree with kiely but to be fair he challenges things and that can only be good in gaa in county , having every single person singing same tune not good imo.

I won't say this could only happen in limerick cause in truth it has happened regularly in cork in both hurling and football in similar scenarios and could happen in cork again.
    Same thing was said by cork chairman Sunday in he said cork football had good year at senior and people too critical of cork.
    Been hammered worst munster final defeat to kerry missing Gooch, to say that just imo is unbelievable. All we hear is cork had good league when In truth league you went through it game by game far from paradise It's made out to be.

As for the reference here in some managers interested lining their own pockets rather than a geuine interest in county themselves this may be true with others managers but imo certainly not Wallis, he's expenses were marginal compared to others managers to be fair and called out many times publicly for management expense be just that and not paid managers

http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/162480
    Managers have rights to valid expenses imo like Wallis in a long drive from midelton to limerick round trip and I'm sure he'll burn some fuel so rightfully so he should like others in similar circumstances get compensated

There are other managers lot in cork and other counties local men,that charge imo over expenses to coach teams but certainly Wallis is hurling to the bone. Not about money but he has a real love of hurling so much went to kerry and then to antrim and also a fact proven in cork hurling when they went went on strike, him and séanie mcgrath trainer not the glen rovers but ucc man trained  the cork hurling panel and didn't claim one expense travelling from midelton to ist of all mallow and then when couldn't train there Mourne abbey.

If that shows doesn't a man that is more hurling than money oriented I geuinely Dont know what will.

Any one knows limerick hurling or will know many long I mean long days and nights Wallis put in to limerick hurling, to just give one example, Saturday morning before the Thursday when they played cork minors this summer jerry was in limerick early in the morning , spent whole day with squad às they had long day of preparation planned for the game five Days later or doing work behind scenes and travelled that evening yes same evening to watch kilkenny play minors that Saturday night as he knew limerick could be playing them as he believed in limerick to go far but also knew kilkenny were strong and he wanted to watch them in the leinster championship

Now by time Wallis got back midelton, it must have must been late you would guess
    He's job that day was done with limerick but he always went above and beyond he's role in that job imo and I think many limerick fans, know Wallis deeply cared geuinely about limerick hurling and saw it as long term project and I think he's different to some managers
    Wallis record won't be tarnished leaving limerick in the slightest in just another line of guys messed bout by the board is the view

When I heard that story regards that  Saturday I wasn't surprised regards Wallis às I saw it many times with cork he's commitment to the cause

Wallis is key o grady fan and good friend and worked with him both in limerick and cork hurling.
    Wallis must known Have no doubt what went on last year with o grady but he didn't speak out support him correctly so wasn't he's fight so to speak In he has job do with minors and no way would he jeopardise he's position or limerick minor team chances so close to the minors starting up their season.

That shows how Wallis just goes about he's business in quite efficency manner.
    When Wallis speaks out normally has justifiable cause.
    He spoke to the leader Friday and correctly so as perception was he walked away.
    The mans standing in the game is brilliant reputation is faultless imo.

Wallis will never be short job offers and it's well known many clubs looking for managers or other managers when want advice, guidance relation to good managers to get etc, Wallis is a trusted advisor and figure in the game all over ireland.
    Not a man for the money in one leading Galway clubs offered him great deal but declined.

Extremely geuine nice guy, full of charisma and witt,this guy can be ruthless also and wants to win, doesn't belive in second best.
    He's ideal balance of character to work with young lads , just watch midelton county under twenty one champions last year win a senior in the future

It's all well and good to say limerick must appointment home coaches but bar Quaid and moran they with respect coaches there dont have many stand out candidates imo

As for the :"limerick way"as it was quoted here with the greatest respect to limerick hurling their way hasn't won them all ireland In under twenty one since 2002 at under twenty one. Three out of the four wins they hold at that level corks dave Keane won three in charge and at minor just have three all irelands ever, and as said here by the limerick fans if one their own in the set up had left others do the Job they could have done would imo won The all ireland minor title this year.
    I have always believed this limerick way won't win an all ireland as you must adapt.
    No all irelands senior in 1973 limericks way just doesn't add up when you do the maths.

Cork, tipp, kilkenny dominated yes with home grown coaches but fact was not just coaching in lot other counties had no ground work done and cork and tipp and kilkenny imo produced hurling naturally in way more resources so wasn't really just home grown coaches.
    Now most counties put huge work in to Underage.

When  offaly made the glorious break through it was kilkenny coach brilliant diarmuid healy won them ist two and then outside coach cregan and then bond in 98 won other two senior all Irelands.

In all four success it was an non offaly man that coached them to senior hurling success.
    Offaly needed culture change, they got it with outside man.
    Obviously some county don't need outside men like cork. Kilkenny and tipp , some do in Dublin at this time do, ones that do imo you must bring in right outside coaches to be successful and not just high profile names, they must fit the dynamic of the county they join.
    Loughanne was brilliant coach but just didn't fit Galway dynamic imo.

Counties with no traditional winning imo better outside coach to break old habits and need coech belive in like liam rush dublin said they wanted outside coach who won at top table as no one dublin had.

Look at one team in irish sport that always always stayed through to their core values. Heart Grit, bravery courage, rise above a challenge as underdog,and forwards win you games has been munster rubgy team "way"where many gaa fans are munster rubgy fans know that

Munster defied odds time and time again and there forwards normally set the platform form to win games.

As the game has crucially evolved and now champions cup even munster who normally done it munster way similar to limerick way,physically dominating teams, teams like powerhouses Claremont know munster way and match them up front they lacked creative play to beat them
    Munster way is no longer the way to win trophies for them.
    Yes it will keep them competitive always but to win remains A concern going forward.

However munster do have solace that loosing close games get some value In group stages in narrow defeats give them bonus point Where no such bonus exists in hurling, in a loss is a loss most of the time.

Munster though get found out against the top teams in knock out stages or even know in group for first time ever loose two back to back games in home and away ties in munster way as Truly admirable as it is unfortunately is simply not good enough any more.

Munster, though credit due will try and adapt their Way, and if they fail it won't be for lack of trying in last two years they did try immense credit and change to an attacking style fair play , problems is they just don't have money compete big boys get the top top backs and they geuinely had go back old style munster in hadn't players play attack minded rubgy
    So in a way you can't fault them in they have no choice to go back to munster way for now
    Pride and passion is great but you need so much more to win nowadays.
    I think if you go through every manager any county even ones who failed like Denis walsh,teddy maccarthy, Brian Ryan minors, corks pat kenneally,  Brian cuthbhert, mike macnammra in clare, darragh o se in kerry under twenty ones,Derek mcgrath no one's ever doubts for a moment there passion and pride, there real real gaa people in love game but so much more required in coaching now,tactical nous hughely prevalent and willingness embrace change of culture hugely important imo.
    Some coaches remain stuck in time Imo. The though in this worked for me as a player twenty years ago, it will work now as a coach is wrong.Imo that's not always the case.

Coaching has evolved hughely the last twenty years and I expect in the next five years to change again.
    Eammon Ryan cork ladies manager huge passion for gaa won everything in club senior hurling county in cork with na piarsigh and minors all ireland football cork as coach, yet he reinvented himself went done coaching courses in limerick as knew modern game had changed.
    He adapted, and those that adapt normally survive like the greatest hurling manager ever in Cody,he always adapts.
    Pride and passion to me every manager has it.
    Its what else they have.

In hurling limerick imo have a choice, doesn't have to be limerick way as referenced here.
    They can go a new way.
    They went short passing route league At the start last year and like clare showed it's has teething problems but clare stuck with it and it worked.
    Remember The clare game where fans in the league critised Davy hugely for the style when they lost early on.
    Lot young guys coming up minors imo,ten them with few from last year in limerick imo Are senior level quality and time is right to develop short game for them starting at under twenty one.
    Players are there, but like I feel cork football, it craves a system of play to suit them.
    You must have a system so individual talents can flourish that it develops their strengths and minimise weakness.

It was always going to take time to adapt to possession game in limerick.
    They never gave it Real time last year imo unlike clare and limerick needed give it more time as completey knew style to some of them imo.

Hugely positive signs  then was limerick v cork down a man in cork league, o grady salvaged a draw with sweeper against all the odds missing key players.

I have always thought imo limerick actually have players suited for a possession game combined with physical intensity they bring and especially with younger lads coming through as with minors played short possession game at times and indeed a sweeper so they can react to different match day scenarios which is crucial to the modern game imo.

When you see bulger clare being reinvented as a player and declan sullivan kerry like wise and traditional kerry football winning all ireland playing a system normally untraditional really shows limerick and many the way forward.

If any county has grounds to stay true old values and say no we must never change out way it's kerry but no the only kerry way you likely see is written in stone so to speak is on sign post in dingle etc.

Kerry way imo is more the winning Way than direct style in this year they changed simply as they had to.

The greatest and most purist football county ever to grace the game, knew time had changed , this team needed horse course selection and system win all ireland ist time in five years, so I'm sure they don't give a moments thought to how won all ireland in they have the all ireland now.

Same with their minors, Jack who o connor who previous stated kerry public wouldn't tolerate system in blanket win a game , he played deeper game beat donegal and In fact senior team did beat donegal also.
    Imo most counties is willing to change the style bar limerick hurling.

Problem imo is limerick don't belive they have players for a possession game and any inside coach in limerick imo the majority will play the direct style at intercounty.
    Everybody knows limerick style and it's never changed the last few years and how to beat them.
    This is geuinely not a dig at limerick but surely many can see it's valid point.
    Play clare or kilkenny who knows how they line up.
    Cork unfortunately have bit predictability about us also.

To even contemplate beat clare Imo limerick have no choice play sweeper in the summer as clare will definitely play possession game and the sweeper again this year but from what I saw in one training session even working to evolve it again.

Bar some of the schools in take doon who constantly play a sweeper and immense credit They over achieve by playing this system.
    They had Ard scoil real trouble harty cup ist half in last year final but Ard scoil played a sweeper and won it handy then
    Niall moran immense credit due with other Ard scoil coaches those play a sweeper at times when need must
    Moran I didn't rate as a great player tbh but I seen him coach he has got it imo, and huge huge potential and much better coache than Ollie who coached in tipp this year
    TJ made poor call imo have him as player last year recall based on challenge match in Dundrum v poor waterford but imo should be on panel but in coaching sense.

He's terrific coach with lots of potential And from I saw and what I hear is ruthless to make hard calls, just what you need.
    Niall was ruthless, in he made the correct call to drop ronan lynch back from forwards after Thurles defeat it worked.

Limerick had One other option to replace Wallis,imo could been the best til last in Buttevant native declan Fitzgerald who teaches castetroy, lives in tippeary, with drom inch senior again this year tippeary, with ul freshers knows limerick hurling well In just twenty five or so coach limerick minors got all ireland minor final in 2005,A good but not great limerick team compared to this year's he's coaching was paramount to their run to the final.
    Widely respected among players.

Then he had twenty ones in 2007, he's top top coach so much so ger cunningham cork ger has been working with him cork development squads.
    He knows limerick hurling inside out and the school system well and imo as temporary coach would been better to fill the gap now til the year ends as he's real real coach, just watch ul freshers train
    He's working top class all star ul team with twenty eight all having some intercounty expierence at one level or so from development up.

Guys like tom morrisey, Dylan Dawson, Alan Murphy kilkenny, Leigh bergin Laois. Trevor horgan cork etc so he can coach top top players and gained their respect
    Imagine Murphy kilkenny top scorer minor championship last year, he's knows good coaching.
    Fitzgerald obivously must be good if I hear ul boys rate him highely.

He Could done Job til June and then get some one knew next year Even if they couldn't get him for good.
    If you bring in daly imo being better start of a year than mid term.

Fitzgerald style similar to Wallis and limerick would not have had much change so no transition period needed for the panel

He's terrific working on basic skill player like improve techniques hooking, blocking, creating match day scenarios, making players think fast and react to different plays and he's training is always based on huge intensity etc

Would won a dean Ryan and harty cup under cork coach Denis ring at colmans and he knows rings coaching so hed been ideal to counter ring as he knows he's direct opponent inside out similar to Wallis.
    Limerick will miss this against cork imo.

Ring the master beat the student learning he's trade in 2005 when cork beat limerick in munster, Fitzgerald has nine years more in coaching now.

Being a teacher he's good presentation, communication and organisations and time keeping skills for director but has real real coaching skills.

He's worked with Gary kirby, eoin brislane the new Ballybrown coach , Ger cunningham both cork and limerick Brian lohan etc
    Both cork ger cunningham rates him and limerick ger cunningham also two shrewd men.
    When you see who ger cunningham brought in Laois next year,Waterford man be announced soon I expect, top top move shows how good ger cunningham limerick is.

Its not likes Fitzgerald coming from outside county either in yes a cork man but teaches castetroy and coached limerick teams the last nine years, so he's well known and been centrally involved In limerick team in one form or another the Last nine years.
    A cork man yes but like limerick citizen so to speak.

Obviously he's with drom inch so probably ruled him out and he's with cork development also this year so who knows maybe he was asked  but imo I'd be trying hard get him over daly.
    I'd agree with poster that it's a Hollywood appointment with daly.

Wallis rates Fitzgerald hugely and rumour was he would tried get him involved in a development set up sooner than later.
    Highly unlikely Fitzgerald will get any big job in cork so if limerick imo offered him top job would be hard to turn down
    Not just as minor coach but director hurling he'd be ideal over coaching from under fourteen up, worked with minors, intercounty, and development squads, ul freshers and fitzginbon cup team and harty cup castetroy and coached killruene macdonagh tipp I think but senior club drom inch now in the second year.
    Drom inch hugely impressed with him.

He's expierence is vastly and he's young coach.
    Drom inch were poor when took them over but improved them hughely in year one.
    He also worked with limerick games manager noel hartigan in noel was he's selector in 2007 at under twenty one so there's good communication between both.
    Noel hartigan imo very good games manager and I said before imo best in munster, better than cork imo, probably closest to him is ex newton player and manager john linehan who imo does great work development kerry under age hurling.
    Limerick have some Great hurling people but need right men in right areas.

Other real question Is will daly stay long
    If Davy leaves clare in two years then daly likely to go back them he said he love manage them again
    Fitzgerald Could of been a keeper if he got role In could still work with ul teams

Personally I'm glad Fitzgerald isn't the man involved as I'd prefer see him in cork but he was an ideal candidate for limerick and if guys like that aren't in cork I'd love see him make it elsewhere.

Limerick under twenty ones This year will play a mixture of style imo as jimmy quilty is open to styles and the minors will embrace it as there used different styles from minors and Corbett is big in to new innovative ways and imo I could be wrong but I think he'll have a bigger role then just a strength and conditions coach in the set up
    Once the powers to be let them at it.

That limerick under twenty one team will be imo all ireland champions next year.
    Easier win this grade in most you have four games and no disrespect to antrim but munster play them next year,imo win munster in all ireland you avoid banna skin Galway in a semi final.
    Will limerick county board not self destruct is The key question???

Limerick intermediate won't change style this year and I think tom Ryan still with them as a selector not fully sure on that.

But their style is too direct old school imo.
    Intermediate hurling is changing also in, cork only cork team to do it from cork successfully, yes under twenty ones tried a sweeper but it was poorly manufactured , played sweeper at times and won all ireland intermediate this year but stayed with direct old school cork hurling would not won
    Even at intermediate The game has changed.

I have seen countless games from dean Ryan Harty cupChallenges etc, junior b, etc, the sweeper is now hughely prevalent in hurling at any level , bar kilkenny who obviously have players win most fifty fifty battles but even against dublin this year they played a deeper system to counter dublin.
    Cork hurling has the same problem in jbm recluant to go possesion game.
    Any team wins now imo must be comfortable in playing two ways.

Speaking of the minors, limerick minor hurling beat nenagh cbs Sunday in a challenge, Davy hannon got two goals where conor Byrnes was outstanding as centre back.
    Kyle Dillon the highely rated forward played centre forward And Brian Ryan played well at right half forward but limerick were made work hard for it and nenagh gave them good battle but as always goals decide games even in challenge matches.

Na piarssigh or ahane lads or flanganan was absent as was paddy o loughin and lot under seventeenth played but at the same time nenagh missed two key key players also.
    First game without Wallis they done well but from here on til April huge challenge them
    I said in the cork thread many times I feared cork beating limerick twice this year, and initially I said the draw was Awful from a cork view

The landscape has changed considerably the last week in Wallis loss imo I think cork have huge chance beating limerick and twice if needs be , but limerick could if beaten cork in ist game struggle imo to beat likely to be waterford In knock out game

Cork have also added pat hartnett the last week as proven coach. He's superb addition as a selector and extremely tactical minded,keen student of the game, so limerick imo have lost huge presence on the line, And while cork lost landers, hartnett limits that loss greatly especially with o dwyer coaching cork so no great change style
    Cork style play be the same but hartnett has wonderful gift spot hurling talent as raw potential and develop it to a complete hurler.
    Can do real coaching but good read to a game in flow also.

Limerick on the other hand had continuity from last few years with Wallis but that's lost now and even if daly succeeds it's imo going to take him time to settle in the role and it's just four months to the ist game, huge huge ask now.
    Cork minors under ring had always targeted year two as one likely to be break through
    With the dean Ryan cup success, so far The harty , the munster senior b old christian doing well in cork two minors on the team , cork winning three out of four under sixteen b competition with crescent limerick winning the other, cork hurling is on a high

Crucially ag beat doon Could beaten castetroy, and colmans young team ist year under noel crowley pushing castetroy all the way the gap has closed considerably in last year limerick teams were beating cork teams regularly and in some cases easy.
    I remember last year saying many times limerick minors were invincible practically when cork played them in the lead up, next year that aura imo has gone In cork will respect them but no need to fear them às much as last year.

Obviously the real test for cork schools is when they meet the exceptional Ard scoil to see how much cork schools closed the gap.
    Draw has two cork limerick clashes, Ard scoil will be huge ask for hammies and youghal have chance v Castletroy
    Key will be imo if Rochestown play Ard scoil in best cork chance beating Ard scoil in have great coaches like Ard scoil have with moran.
    As for cregan fair point not everyone cup tea but he's good skill side in he's role minors was coaching forwards free taking and be fair he's good.
    Cregan certainly was not the poorest manager in the set up.

Cork have An array forward talent this year it's just unreal best in my opinion the last five years so it will be hard to stop them.

Tippeary be favourites now imo in minor and have easy side of the draw but  I think it will be cork and tipp munster minor final.

Clare coaching wise are not meant to be great.
    Waterford have good coach but tipp imo have players and management set up to do well and one of the best centre back in munster in Brian mcgrath.

I think limerick have daly now so they must support him yes and they could certainly have worse but they should seriously review after The year  if results are dropping as you have be ruthless to get new management etc as it be shame to see all progress made by Wallis And some others the last four years suddenly be lost and as cork know it's very very easy to loose progress.

One thing I do agree with Mann is he's view almagating harty cup teams must go on and they have battle with munster to keep it, and imo almagating school like west college's limerick is good for the game as Flanagan proved there's fine hurlers in West limerick.

The huge win by Mann in the election is   like bob Ryan cork walking in votes to central council, it's imo unbelievable imo how both chairmans of their counties with hardly records without controversy in management appointment and as seen by both wanting have attuide do not question anything in manns comments on kiely and Ryan ignoring of cusack comments in simply won't democraticlly debate them get any roles they want time after time in both men won votes by a landslide at both county conventions the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Word count = 5686 :eek:

I admire your passion for hurling I must say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Colemania wrote: »
    Word count = 5686 :eek:

I admire your passion for hurling I must say!

Yes Quantity is impressive anyway.

His opinion of Anthony Daly's and Joe Quaid's respective abilities is amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

Actually yeah, I'd better expand a little more to give a bit of balance; any of the gripes they had with Cregan were purely due to personality aspects, as a coach they had no criticisms whatsoever. In a nutshell; good coach, but too negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Jez TTM that's some book u wrote. Interesting article in fairness , I would not agree with some of it but some work went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭shockframe

Lot of stuff that I'd agree with there TTM I must admit.

How on earth do you get all this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

A fair post TTM. Some effort went into that. I convinced you must be that Cork guy with the Sombrero that always shows up at Cork games!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

I always find Ttm posts very interesting and informative and he gives his genuine opinion and to be fair he gets a lot of things right. His knowledge of underage hurling and schools hurling is excellent, i can never seem to find good reports on schools games , so its great to read his posts and learn about these games.

I don't believe he has anything against Limerick he just gives his honest opinion on our situation and i would agree with a lot of what he says, we have a huge tendency to shoot ourselves in the foot in Limerick.
    He puts a lot of effort into his posts and some people might not agree with him but he doesn't ask anyone to agree with him he just speaks his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

There's been a lot of talk over the last few years as regards the style of hurling Limerick should or should not be playing, whether it be Donal O'Grady not understanding the Limerick psyche and forcing this puke-hurling, hand-passing game on us, to Cyril Farrell's repeated assertions that Limerick are best serving by hippin' and whippin', driving the ball as long as possible and as hard as possible, as often as possible. I think this whole style-of-hurling argument gets over-stated a lot, particularly regarding teams when they are in possession of the ball. The basic tenets of playing while in possesion are still the same:
    1. Get the ball to a player in a better position.
    2. When the score is on, go for the score.

You try and over-complicate this you end up in a situation like Dublin found themselves in in the Leinster final, spending most of the day running backwards to their own goals, or like Cratloe in the Munster final, where they coughed up goal-chance after goal-chance by trying to walk the ball into the net. Kilkenny utilised shorter passes this year to give the ball to a man in a better position and apparently they had thrown out the old Kilkenny bible, Cody was genuflecting at the Davy Fitz altar. Rubbish. It is a reaction to how the game has evolved as regards players not in possesion, and the pressure these players now apply as routine to the man who has the ball, rather than an adoption of the New Clare Order. As players have gotten fitter, the work-rate all over the pitch has increased and there is simply a lot less space for everyone.

Limerick, to my mind, are good at getting the ball out of defence, finding the best player to deliver the ball into the forwards. It is uncomplicated, direct - and this is important - fast. And we can afford to hit it long, because we actually have players who can win their own ball in the front 6, Downes, Dowling, Hannon, Breen are all big men who are strong in the air. What we are lacking is movement among the forwards, particularly the half-forward line. A drifter, the man to create space for others and give the player in possession an option. When we had the ball, if it didn't directly end up in a score we were not able to throw the ball around as Cork or Tipp were. So you need another Graeme Mulcahy in there, someone who will work off others, find space - I think Cian Lynch, if available for the seniors this year, could be very good in a role like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

There's been a lot of talk over the last few years as regards the style of hurling Limerick should or should not be playing, whether it be Donal O'Grady not understanding the Limerick psyche and forcing this puke-hurling, hand-passing game on us, to Cyril Farrell's repeated assertions that Limerick are best serving by hippin' and whippin', driving the ball as long as possible and as hard as possible, as often as possible. I think this whole style-of-hurling argument gets over-stated a lot, particularly regarding teams when they are in possession of the ball. The basic tenets of playing while in possesion are still the same:

You try and over-complicate this you end up in a situation like Dublin found themselves in in the Leinster final, spending most of the day running backwards to their own goals, or like Cratloe in the Munster final, where they coughed up goal-chance after goal-chance by trying to walk the ball into the net. Kilkenny utilised shorter passes this year to give the ball to a man in a better position and apparently they had thrown out the old Kilkenny bible, Cody was genuflecting at the Davy Fitz altar. Rubbish. It is a reaction to how the game has evolved as regards players not in possesion, and the pressure these players now apply as routine to the man who has the ball, rather than an adoption of the New Clare Order. As players have gotten fitter, the work-rate all over the pitch has increased and there is simply a lot less space for everyone.

Limerick, to my mind, are good at getting the ball out of defence, finding the best player to deliver the ball into the forwards. It is uncomplicated, direct - and this is important - fast. And we can afford to hit it long, because we actually have players who can win their own ball in the front 6, Downes, Dowling, Hannon, Breen are all big men who are strong in the air. What we are lacking is movement among the forwards, particularly the half-forward line. A drifter, the man to create space for others and give the player in possession an option. When we had the ball, if it didn't directly end up in a score we were not able to throw the ball around as Cork or Tipp were. So you need another Graeme Mulcahy in there, someone who will work off others, find space - I think Cian Lynch, if available for the seniors this year, could be very good in a role like this.

He is on the panel, I think he'll be starting in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

If we could get a Bonnar Maher style player we'd be flying.

Browney7 wrote: »
    If we could get a Bonnar Maher style player we'd be flying.

Hannon our current centre forward. I wouldn't trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Hannon our current centre forward. I wouldn't trade.

Apples & Oranges, two completely different hurlers. Likewise no sane Tipp man would trade Bonnar as he is the most important player in our attack.

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Apples & Oranges, two completely different hurlers. Likewise no sane Tipp man would trade Bonnar as he is the most important player in our attack.

Agree.

Limerick opener v Waterford in hurling league being done by one setanta channels live on second week in February

Congrats to Ahane on winning their first minor crown since 1991 at the weekend, Tom Morrissey stood out once again, excellent prospect, he's had a great year.

Congrats to Ahane on winning their first minor crown since 1991 at the weekend, Tom Morrissey stood out once again, excellent prospect, he's had a great year.

He's a super hurler, was absolutely on fire for UL freshers too, and I reckon he should be added to the senior panel for next year. I wasn't always a massive fan of him, I mean he always had talent, but in 2014, he's been phenomenally good in almost every game he's played for club, college, school and county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

He's a super hurler, was absolutely on fire for UL freshers too, and I reckon he should be added to the senior panel for next year. I wasn't always a massive fan of him, I mean he always had talent, but in 2014, he's been phenomenally good in almost every game he's played for club, college, school and county.

UL played Limerick at weekend - Cian Lynch got a run with the seniors and showed flashes of genius - star in the making - you can't beat breeding

Delighted to see his talents staying here - so far - after the soccer rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Happy new year all, its going to be the big one this year

Happy new year all, its going to be the big one this year

Happy new year paddy

Cork playing limerick senior hurling challenge the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Happy new year paddy

Cork playing limerick senior hurling challenge the weekend

Where's that on ttm?

Where's that on ttm?

Mallow but could change unsure sat or Sunday when know I'll post

Squad members from last year listed by the age they turn in 2015.

- (Donal O'Grady)

32 - (Niall Moran)

30 - (David Breen, Stephen Walsh)

29 - (Wayne McNamara, Tommy Quaid)

28 - (Tom Condon, Seamus Hickey, Cathal King, Richie McCarthy, Gavin O'Mahony, James Ryan)

27 - (Michael Ryan)

26 - (Paul Browne, Thomas O'Brien, Paudie O'Brien, Nickie Quaid, Seán Tobin)

25 - (Conor Allis, Graeme Mulcahy)

24 - (Paudie Aherne, Kevin Downes, Aaron Murphy)

23 - (Alan Dempsey, John Fitzgibon, Declan Hannon, Thomas Ryan)

22 - (Mark Carmody, Shane Dowling, Dan Morissey)

A healthy enough spread, average age in and around the 26 years old mark. With the addition of the likes of Lynch and Morrissey and a handful of the 2013/14 minors we have a good panel to work with for the next 3/4 years. Now it's just a matter of getting a few more of those fringe players championship ready.

Would there be any company running a bus for supporters to the Antrim game in the league? It's on in Ballycastle, about an hour and twenty minutes north of Belfast and the the 11/12 hour round trip does not appeal to me! We should make them go to Tournafulla in retaliation the next time we host them :P

Squad members from last year listed by the age they turn in 2015.

- (Donal O'Grady)

32 - (Niall Moran)

30 - (David Breen, Stephen Walsh)

29 - (Wayne McNamara, Tommy Quaid)

28 - (Tom Condon, Seamus Hickey, Cathal King, Richie McCarthy, Gavin O'Mahony, James Ryan)

27 - (Michael Ryan)

26 - (Paul Browne, Thomas O'Brien, Paudie O'Brien, Nickie Quaid, Seán Tobin)

25 - (Conor Allis, Graeme Mulcahy)

24 - (Paudie Aherne, Kevin Downes, Aaron Murphy)

23 - (Alan Dempsey, John Fitzgibon, Declan Hannon, Thomas Ryan)

22 - (Mark Carmody, Shane Dowling, Dan Morissey)

A healthy enough spread, average age in and around the 26 years old mark. With the addition of the likes of Lynch and Morrissey and a handful of the 2013/14 minors we have a good panel to work with for the next 3/4 years. Now it's just a matter of getting a few more of those fringe players championship ready.

Tommy Quaid is 29 next year? Didn't realise he was that age... he's a good club player, but at that age, he's hardly going to get any better and if he's not good enough to start, I reckon we need to be ruthless and discard him. Replace people like Moran, Quaid, Ryan with Lynch, Morrissey and O'Brien maybe.

And while we do have a lot of young players, there's a considerable core of starters who will be 28+, that's pretty much at their peak, so if we're going to do it, it will likely be in the next 2 years.

Would there be any company running a bus for supporters to the Antrim game in the league? It's on in Ballycastle, about an hour and twenty minutes north of Belfast and the the 11/12 hour round trip does not appeal to me! We should make them go to Tournafulla in retaliation the next time we host them :P

Kelly Travel maybe?

Two man fiull back game saturday

As for limerick panel if people think niall moran is going win them all ireland, fair enough just opinion but Imo he's even at he's best still not top top standard

No doubt playing talent is there new guys but likes Wayne mac. Breen, o mahony  place imo up for grab

One huge thing lacking in limerick I's who provides serious tactical innovative required to bring them to the next level
    I don't doubt for minute they not physically prepared brilliantly or are they fit as ger downes I presume still involved done good wook last year etc but who is man spot and make change when up against great tactical mastermind in Cody or even ger cunningham dublin etc

Brilliant article in cork paper yesterday saying all talent in even club football no good unless you have top top management
    And it hit the nail on the head all successful intercounty teams have great tactical manager

I don't see it in limerick management, yes has great qualities other aera to a degree . But tactical foresight who has it in the set up????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Two man fiull back game saturday

As for limerick panel if people think niall moran is going win them all ireland, fair enough just opinion but Imo he's even at he's best still not top top standard

No doubt playing talent is there new guys but likes Wayne mac. Breen, o mahony place imo up for grab

One huge thing lacking in limerick I's who provides serious tactical innovative required to bring them to the next level
    I don't doubt for minute they not physically prepared brilliantly or are they fit as ger downes I presume still involved done good wook last year etc but who is man spot and make change when up against great tactical mastermind in Cody or even ger cunningham dublin etc

Brilliant article in cork paper yesterday saying all talent in even club football no good unless you have top top management
    And it hit the nail on the head all successful intercounty teams have great tactical manager

I don't see it in limerick management, yes has great qualities other aera to a degree . But tactical foresight who has it in the set up????

I agree with all of that apart from Cork football bit. Not sure the players are there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement