Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Imo kiely is brilliant appointment he's expierence from senior but the key is he facilities a good back room team
    Kiely imo know he role but crucially know he strength and weakness and huge statement of intent to bring in top men like Corbett and quilty.
    I don't know much bout flavin but he's meant to be okay

Kiely attention to detail is second to none and he done lot organisation under john Allen
    He worked limerick intermediate also

Key point is he listens to staff around him
    He made great appointment in bringing in Ross Corbett
    He didn't just go for anyone
    He waited and got the best strength and conditions coach around but crucially Corbett is not one trick poney can double up as skill coach

Corbett ideal on teaching technical side regards grip, work on striking and getting players to adapt to different match type scenarios
    He went up the north to cavan, Armagh. Tyrone etc for years development camoige up there and non camoige strong holds he developed game so he's pure hurling man and commitment outside limelight

Then he worked monaghan minors footballers think got all ireland quatre final
    Worked kerry minors football and they impressed with him on fitness side
    He's head munster camoige development so leader ship is not up question
    He's vastly experienced but for young minors crucial he will bring new ideas and continue to challenge them from their minor days
    Superb appointment for last year minors
    He will bring fresh ideas and challenge these hurlers more again which is the key in development players you must continue to challenge them in different skillet like the kerry the kilkenny, the great I mean great gaa team constantly do.

Tactical wise jimmy quilty ballyhea is very good blackrock won junior all ireland with in limerick and year one in ballyhea was brilliant in coaching them
    Brought them on magnificently
    Got the best out pa callaghan really did
    Tactically he imo brings huge qualities to the set up.
    From where ballyhea were in year one at the start to now he made huge progress with them

Here's you have set up with different men brining different strength to the table
    I think just in my opinion it's brilliant set up with real potential to be successful.

Minors Leo o connor, some here correctly don't rate he's selection policy and I don't either

He won munster under twenty one title but imo poor selection lost semi v Galway
    Kiely would been involved then I think

However compared to last year manager this guy will manage team but crucially I think he allow selectors each do what they beat and focus on key areas
    Wallace will bring fitness and preparation side ti them but excellent hurling knowledge and good game management and tactical awareness to them
    Playing cork he will know cork inside out

Ask anyone in limerick there hughely impresses with him be it players or fans etc
    Wallace does not just work minors as stay in limelight
    He's doing work with Tony Forristal group also
    Proven in senior won all irelands with cork under o grady regime

Top top man. Coached in kerry antrim loves hurling
    In Kerry won county title
    As for foley he bring continuity from development squads and good coach
    Macdonagh imo only huge loss last year as defence Coach he was brilliant so innovative and articulate in he's drills
    Saw one drill top top drill
    Management isn't necessarily doing it all youre self
    You got to be ruthless and buck stops you but great managers are ones surrounded them with good coaching back room teams and each has defined role of real strength in a particular skill set
    Limerick back room teams are very good at minor and under twenty one and management must take credit for that and all the boxes imo are ticked in the skill sets required

Next year under twenty one their won't be teams in munster limerick fear as they beat them all practical at under age

Cork are going to be strong yes in next two years but limerick team minors imo was exceptional team and out of all irelands loose this one was most sickening in this was lost away from the ptich as many here even said
    Key with limerick going forward and I mentioned it on harty cup thread is ronan lynch played as a midfield of half back
    He's not a forward imo in at best he'll be good but as a half back or midfield he would be exceptional

From what I seen him a forward not he's best position and many people say same
    I think Ard scoil proven that
    Against Thurles he was picked up front imo whole dynamic and balance team all wrong in defence wasn't great he wasn't there and forwards try put everything three him and didn't work by all accounts

Look at centre forward play in harty cup so far, eoin reilly hammies not even cork minors scoring 2-4,or one 2 in games,Gary leahy midelton non intercounty getting goals also key scores in games then, Shane Kingston six from play v csoimhins, dayne lee while not exceptional still getting big scores for mhuire ag at centre forward then barry Nash scoring at centre forward for Castleyroy
    Declan Dalton who will be cork minor goal keeper who wouldn't be starting for cork in half forward line probably is bettee half forward than lynch

Andrew la touché cosgrave when he played half forward was scoring more than lynch
    Cork minors Tim o mahony scoring goals and big scores for Charville cbs
    Barry Murphy doon gave masterful display of centre forward play for doon cbs and score some awesome points.
    That's what centre forwards do now days.
    Lynch isn't doing that at harty level, was poor in all Ireland final v kilkenny as a forward
    I'd be surprised if niall moran who's in charge of Ard scoil a brilliant coach and I said before should be with limerick at some level played him there again, I think they learned from the Thurles match and Ard scoil in cup games from here on in even got beat flannans and they will will play strongest teams now
    All lads I mentioned constantly scoring in big big games up front.

Point I make is ronan lynch scoring exploit as a centre forward are not standing out but any time I saw him at centre back and at midfield playing sweeper, he's best player on the ptich normally.
    Reads the game so well from midfield or half back.

If he is going to be a forward he needs to be scoring more
    Seamus Flanagan terrific hurler much better prospect at half forward got five goals and four or something like it in harty cup and he's not reneowed for scoring exploit but him, tom morrisey, Cian lynch, Barry Nash, dean Coleman much much better forwards options at this grade imo than ronan lynch but ronan lynch Could be the best centre back in the country at this grade, obviously Austin glesson is up there for Waterford but he may play up front and he's a forward to be fair imo.

Some players are much better facing goal than the back to goal
    Ronan lynch is one these players and the biggest imo influence under twenty one management will have on set up is getting best out of lynch and to do that must play him at centre back or midfield
    The simple question you ask when you pick the team have we a centre back in same class and exceptionally quality of lynch??
    I don't think anyone come close to him
    La touché cosgrave exceptional half back but lynch imo is better
    If I was to convert any back from forward la touché be better option imo.

As forwards have we better then ronan lynch??

Dean Coleman, Cian lynch, seamus Flanagan, Barry Nash, tom morrisey Colin Ryan are all much better forwards and throw in likes of barry Murphy, Fitzgerald, Casey in two years forwards talent is awesome in limerick.
    Barry Murphy is minor this year but playing senior doon and looking so strong Wednesday I'd have him under twenty panel if minors are beaten as he's good enough be on it for this panel.

It would be interesting to hear where na piarssigh play him in the county minors final v ahane today
    Could very well score lot forward today but in harty cup games where level is step up imo he wouldn't be as proflic as a forward scoring wise.
    There's all ireland in this group of players at under twenty one
    I was convinced it was in minor set up but no one could predicted what happened there and that all ireland was one that got away and imo I don't fault players at all at all.
    Management picked the team at the end of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hang on, you were saying Allen has gone to Carlow because nobody else wants him and now you're saying Wallace went to Kerry and Antrim because he 'loves hurling'

You know plenty but you talk plenty bull also

Hang on, you were saying Allen has gone to Carlow because nobody else wants him and now you're saying Wallace went to Kerry and Antrim because he 'loves hurling'

You know plenty but you talk plenty bull also
    Did I ever say Allen didn't love hurling or gaa no I didn't
    He's steeped in gaa
    He's son won county ballincollg football this year

Try and stick to argument and not twist it please.
    I said Allen, there was no top counties seemed to be after him in for management
    Did dublin go for him, yes he was meant to be linked but dublin only wanted one man ger cunningham
    It tells it own story.
    Dublin wanted ger as he was the best available.

Take Wallis, many counties were after him and clubs in he's terms
    And limerick went for him as minor and coaching under age director or whatever they call it

I'm sure Wallis when leaves limerick many clubs counties will be in line for him
    This is last year in limerick so be interesting if he stays new term or goes somewhere else

but sure he's in carlow now

Those are your words. You praise others for going to the lesser counties but mock Allen for doing the same.

Whether anyone else wants him is beside the point, he could easily sit on his earnings expenses but if others are 'top top men' for coaching the minnows then so is Allen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Those are your words. You praise others for going to the lesser counties but mock Allen for doing the same.

Whether anyone else wants him is beside the point, he could easily sit on his earnings expenses but if others are 'top top men' for coaching the minnows then so is Allen.

That's a fair point. You can look at it both ways.

I don't know why Dublin didn't go for Allen.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    I don't know why Dublin didn't go for Allen.
    He's nearly in his sixties by now so possibly they decided to go for the younger man.

But in truth its hard to see Cunningham surpassing Daly's achievements.

Yes my words and is he not in carlow now???

How else am I say it in fairness
    Sorry Mr John Allen is now in county carlow as hurling manager
    In fairness what I said was not wrong

I never mocked Allen my point is with greatest respect to Carlow sure he's there now if he's as great as people say he'd be with team challenging all ireland or even in club team as many club teams in Ireland looking for managers in and out of cork
    Fair enough he wants go carlow I wish him the best
    My debate was I don't think many counties go him main man
    Would clare??
    Imo no
    Galway probably would but that's imo not vote confidence
    If and would not happen kilkenny had go outside man he's be considered no.
    Kilkenny as Cody proved changes he team horses for courses and like with charlie carter and with four of retirement this year in didn't start Cody isn't loyal to any player on past reputations
    Allen one weak Ness with cork and limerick was he too loyal to team selection and once settles team and they win despite the team having players not performing he won't change them
    Now this is not me mocking anyone this is me asking valid questions based on key games, look back these games and you will see I have a point

Nothing more or less even though you try and make it out to be

Now do me a favour as your picking out what you choose to give false perception so look at old cork thread even here

I have praised john Allen hugely for communication and he's brilliant masseuses and said many times have him as part back room set up ideal in liason players managers but I wouldn't have him as the main manager tactically wise

He never coached at any club level or minor etc hugely with great success he was part cork set up won all ireland then moved in to the main role
    Both with cork and limerick in key games even league finals promotional games v dublin he's selection has been questioned

He's ideal in certain skillets and is assets to anyone but I wouldn't have him as manager no.

Director of hurling I said was fancy title, that nit slight on Carlow or him just imo I wouldn't name role that in carlow small hurling and director to me just over used word in some counties
    Coaching coordinator etc better imo
    Have kilkenny director hurling, no not in title but Cody has huge say in all things

In cork you could have director hurling in such huge landscape in hurling and football and there is need for such a role.
    Age has nothing at all at all to do with it,, yet you seem to say age affects management in your suggestions he was not looked at.
    Billy Morgan you do know ran either Boston or new York marathon I think in he's sixties.
    Young at heart
    Age doesn't make difference if your young in thoughts game and have energy for it.

Age has nothing to do with it once your in mind not old school in ways and you embrace and evolve with new ways

What a ridiculous statement to make,suggesting age should matter.
    Billy Morgan, eammon Ryan well in to hes seventies, mick o dwyer, Brian Cody, sir Alex fergusson many more coached successful teams over age of sixty.
    Once they embrace new ideas age makes no difference at all
    It could be just my opinion nothing to do with age but fact ger cunningham was hugely part cork winning all ireland under o grady and won ballygunner county title and then won ucc lots success and huge part in seconds term bringing cork to all ireland that he's rated so highly and in o grady time he facilities drills for short passing yet in jbm term he facilities the direct style more free style off the cuff hurling than o grady systematic style of play.
    Eammon Ryan greatest football manager in cork history you do know he's age?????
    He went done coach course at sixty reinventing himself yet he won county senior hurling title na piarssigh in cork and minors all ireland football with cork as coach and trail success every club he's been with in cork.
    Tell him bout age.
    Nonsense.

No I actually agree that sixty should not be considered too old, its just there's a perception it might be at least when it comes to co boards picking new managers. Although using Cody and Ferguson as examples makes no sense as they had success long before their sixties and age was never a question there.

Its an interesting point about Cody though, we don't hear much about the Kilkenny version of Kinnerk, Wallace etc. the buck stops with Cody whereas the backroom staff come and go. I'd be sceptical whether these 'top top men' have magical training drills that other counties don't have access to - it's the manager who makes the decisive difference.

And will you stop damning Allen with faint praise by calling him a 'great masseuse' - there's a great masseuse up the road from here but she knows nothing about hurling :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Limerick beat Wexford in a challenge yesterday, anyone hear anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Was that hurling or football?

I wouldn't read too much into it as Wexford were playing Waterford in their December Series in hurling this weekend.

I have heard the footballers have had a couple of challenges against Wexford as they look to get a panel together before league commences. A lot of new faces being tried out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

francozola wrote: »
    Was that hurling or football?

I wouldn't read too much into it as Wexford were playing Waterford in their December Series in hurling this weekend.

I have heard the footballers have had a couple of challenges against Wexford as they look to get a panel together before league commences. A lot of new faces being tried out.

Hurling, I wouldn't read anything into it but wouldn't mind seeing who was playing.

Pandiani wrote: »
    Hurling, I wouldn't read anything into it but wouldn't mind seeing who was playing.

It was Expiermental team in sense but credit due not a bad team from the eleven I hear

Wexford had strong team in areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Was wondering if any of ye could tell me does Andrew O Shaughnessy still hurl for Kilmallock lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Was wondering if any of ye could tell me does Andrew O Shaughnessy still hurl for Kilmallock lads?

Yes.

Yes.

I was wondering as I didnt notice him playing against Cratloe the last day. Is he just a sub or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Smith614

Jerry Wallace severs all links with Limerick hurling. Resigned as director of underage hurling and Minor coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

I was wondering as I didnt notice him playing against Cratloe the last day. Is he just a sub or what?

Yeah just a sub, played a couple of halves early in the season. Not sure he'll be involved next year, hope he has success if he moves in to coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Smith614 wrote: »
    Jerry Wallace severs all links with Limerick hurling. Resigned as director of underage hurling and Minor coach.

What happened there then?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

Jerry Wallis will be involved with his home club Midleton in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Iecrawfc

That's a surprise there, I thought A. It was a full time paid position and B. He had a contract until end of this year
    Either way it's not ideal hopefully he's left a good structure behind that can be built on, his experience of being involved with the minors last year would have been a big bonus for this year with a new management team in place,
    I wonder is there any chance of poaching the football director of underage coaching for this job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Fireball, unless I'm very much mistaken I believe you're a Kildimo-Pallaskenry man? Best of luck tomorrow! Is Michael Noonan still involved with the hurling team there? Haven't heard his name come up in a while. Had the makings of a decent hurler, came on and put in a decent performance v Offaly in the championship in 2010. I hate to say he wasn't treated the best by Adare, thus his transfer. (Big loss, could do with him in Adare....)

I was locked in a room studying all Sunday (and a lot of this week), but it was a great win and into a Munster final now! To be honest, we should never have been at Junior B level in the first place... but people never really cared about football in the adult age groups and so it was hard to motivate a team.

As for Mike Noonan, he didn't play at all this year but I'm not sure whether it was due to injury or something else tbh. Good player though, although our hurling hopes often rest on whether Barry O'Connell is playing or not. A lot of injuries to key players have hindered progress.

That's unexpected and not good news.

Yeah just a sub, played a couple of halves early in the season. Not sure he'll be involved next year, hope he has success if he moves in to coaching.

Its very sad to see what has happened to him and how its affected his hurling career when in an ideal world he should be the main man on that team. So sad but I guess its just one of those things life throws at you and fair play to him for still being a part of it. Hopefully he will succeed at whatever he goes onto next be it coaching or whatever

Yeah, unused sub. He's making a go at coaching and was coach or manager of the Kilmallock minors this year. Here's the program from the county final.

I'd have to agree with the decision though, he should either give Limerick his full attention or not do the job at all.

I'd have to agree with the decision though, he should either give Limerick his full attention or not do the job at all.

True enough.

No great loss anyway, minors flopped last year when they had their chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

True enough.

very harsh , limerick made great progress this year, underage success is overated in my book , for example in 2009 when clare won the 21s out of that losing kilkenny team came lester ryan colin fennelly ritchie hogan paul murphy, among others who have gone on to win a number of all irelands and all stars i doubt they are too worried about there underage careers now

that level of hurling is all about player development at that stage and about bringing as many players forward to the senior panel as quickly as possible

No reason he couldn't have done both. That attitude is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
    True enough.

His fault was it? Silly post.

very harsh , limerick made great progress this year, underage success is overated in my book , for example in 2009 when clare won the 21s out of that losing kilkenny team came lester ryan colin fennelly ritchie hogan paul murphy, among others who have gone on to win a number of all irelands and all stars i doubt they are too worried about there underage careers now

that level of hurling is all about player development at that stage and about bringing as many players forward to the senior panel as quickly as possible

Maybe it's a bit harsh but a title is a title at the same time. If the chap is managing middleton, you'd wonder how much commitment he could give. In that regard he is no loss.

• Advertisement

I dunno... if his time would be limited, then maybe, but if he was still there all the time, giving the same time to Limerick, then there's no problem.

As a coach, he's done great work. The minors possibly should have won last year but he's in charge of hurling from 14s up, he does a lot more than as a selector for them.

And as windy said, underage success is partly overrated. It's obviously great for the players but preparing players is even more important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement