Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Colemania wrote: »
    Limerick hurling panel for the league:

PANEL: David Breen, Shane Dowling, Kevin Downes, Cathal King, Adrian Breen (all Na Piarsaigh); Gavin O’Mahony, Graeme Mulcahy, Paudie O’Brien, Barry Hennessy (all Kilmallock), Declan Hannon, John Fitzgibbon, Wayne McNamara (all Adare), Niall Moran, Daniel Morrissey, Tom Morrissey (all Ahane), Thomas O’Brien, Cian Lynch, Seanie O’Brien (all Patrickswell), Seamus Hickey and Seanie Tobin (both Murroe-Boher), Patrick Begley (Mungret), Tom Ryan (South Liberties), David Reidy (Dromin-Athlacca), Nickie Quaid (Effin), Tom Condon (Knockaderry), Richie McCarthy (Blackrock), James Ryan (Garryspillane), Paul Browne (Bruff), Donal O’Grady (Granagh-Ballingarry), Aaron Murphy (Hospital-Herbertstown), Stephen Walsh (Glenroe), Conor Allis (Croom).

Oh good, I haven't had something to complain about in a while. I'm going to prefix this by saying all these players are good player, I'm specifically talking about players who can make a difference at the top level.

Firstly, delighted that Cian Lynch and Tom Morrissey are on the panel. Very good players who will add a lot.

With regard to Kevin O'Brien, I was always impressed with him up through the grades, maybe he's not that great for the Well, but are Tommy & Seanie O'Brien better? Is Fitzgibbon? Is Begley?

I can't believe that Alan Dempsey is not on the panel, I'd have had him as a Championship starter. Bit surprised about Carmody, but not to the same degree. And no Richie English or Michael Casey or Cathal Mc or Diarmuid Byrnes or Barry O'Connell. I didn't expect them all to make the cut, but is it just me or does that panel seem low on backs? Maybe they are considering Breen as a back this year, maybe Begley is too, hopefully Ryan is, Quaid possibly is but I really hope we don't see Paudie at wing-back this year.

No Doon players at all after being consistently impressive with a young team- Cathal Mc, Darragh O'Donovan, Richie English, etc.

I really don't think Niall Moran should be there, some of the other names I'm not convinced will make it at the top either. Good to see Dodge back, wonder will he still be a starter in the summer.

In conclusion:
    • Happy with Tom Morrissey and Cian Lynch
    • Shocked at the exclusion of Alan Dempsey
    • Surprised that Richie English and others haven't made it

I know that players were added later last year, so maybe that will happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Sad to hear of big John Galvin's retirement. I'd hope the leader or limerick GAA website would do some sort of tribute/thanks.

It couldn't have been easy playing football for Limerick, after all it is the poor relation but the interest just doesn't seem to be in the county.

I was never really a football fan but the team that Liam Kearns and Mickey Ned brought us had a real genuine honesty and they were a credit to the shirt. John Galvin was at the forefront of bringing us from a football backwater to a team that got to division one league semi finals, and Munster finals. Teams like Armagh with McGeaney, McConville, McDonald, Kerry with Cooper, the O'Sés and Paul Galvin all came to the Gaelic grounds for league and championship. Hell we even got a few trips for Munster finals in Killarney!

He was a super Gaelic footballer, he always brought his A game and if anyone deserved a Munster winners medal it was him.

Will always remember the game against Kerry in 2010 in Killarney, we had the wind and straight from the throw in John runs the length of the field and fists over the bar. Gauntlet thrown down. The game looked like drifting away from us in the second half and most Limerick folk thought Kerry would coast home by ten points. Not John. In an act of utter defiance it was time to run the field again only this time only a goal would do. Bang. Game on again. Unfortunately not to be that day. We'd lose by three but there was no shame losing to that Kerry team.

The cruciate injuries towards the end were sad to see but even in 2011 when we finally got over our round 4 qualifier hoodoo against Wexford in Portlaoise he was there on the sideline with the water and encouragment very much a part of it. John Galvin, a true Limerick GAA legend.

An absolute warrior.

I said this all along tj doesn't or simply won't do much change simply in he's dna as coach against ruthless bold change

Just look at niall moran on the panel again

In fairness was never great begin with big big games yer he's carried again

Ask yere selves would Cody do that

No no he would not
    Limerick have visions beating Kilkenney
    I guarantee people there will be around twelve last year team starting this year as league panel be honest is good but poor in other areas

O Donnell kilmallock deserves call up yet overlooked for hennesy???

Morrisey fully deserved it good call like lynch also

Ronan isn't there but that's no fault tj simply ronan is being kept from senior by people close him to prevent burn out which fair enough

Even in game cork last week yes just challenge bit said cork thread showed again tj non tactical astuteness full back was all respect to lad was just being destroyed yet tj left him there didn't even try making a change

Limerick dream of all ireland is distance dream as this squad shows not talent is problem it's tj is stuck certainly type player and will not change and too too loyal to player he played with

Even now league huge worries for limerick and WExford will pose huge threat to ye in the league huge threat as I hear there targeting that game and fully belive they can get a result

I have criticsed tj many times I'n management not as player and many here felt it was harsh
    It wasn't as seen by this panel that even some said here is unspiring as I didn't wait this panel there's plenty indication last year tj is old school and too loyal to certain core player and he will live off last year like I said he would in one point loss Kilkenney worst thing ever happened limerick in tj thinks just slight improvement is needed on last year when fact remain huge improvement is actually needed imo

Hugely worrying imo panel picked

Yeah am puzzled by Niall Moran's inclusion on the squad. There are plenty of leaders in the team, Richie Mc, Hickey, G O'M, Jimbob, Dodge. My only way of justifying it would be as an experienced mentor for the forwards. Personally felt Niall's last day was V Clare in croker.

We are strong in the full back position and I can only imagine he's trying to find cover for Ritchie. No point hauling a lad off in a meaningless friendly in the first week in January and ruining confidence in the process.

Wexford could catch us in league but in full on hurling I'd back us to beat them every time. How many bites of the cherry did they need to see off a Clare team that played 140 minutes of hurling with only 15 men for less than half of that. Struggled over a Waterford team that were in transition let's face it.

Can only imagine the begley experiment is as has been said a plan B or plan C. Against KK when Downes wasn't firing we brought in Seanie Tobin. That Monsoon that day was far from ideal for small pacy forwards like Mul and Tobin. Realistically Dowling is a nailed on FF and hopefully Hannon will grow more into the 11 role.

As for Galvin, one of the greats; most likely the greatest footballer ever to play for Limerick. An absolute warrior from the first time he pulled on the jersey to the last, he gave his all for Limerick and mixed it with no little skill. What's he got as a reward? A Division 4 League medal and a Munster U-21 title... at least he has that, I suppose, desperately unlucky to have a Munster medal.

But time and again, from the day that we hammered Cork in 2003, he would lead the Limerick fight against the likes of Cork and Kerry. An absolute monster in the middle of the field, he was also a huge asset on the edge of the square... I remember him going inside in the Munster final and terrorising Mike McCarthy, before he had to return to midfield after an injury to possibly Jason Stokes.

His fielding was unbelievable, his handling, he could kick points with left and right, he was good for a solo run. He used to regularly match, and outdo Darragh O'Sé, who many regard as one of the greatest. He used to rampage through Cork and Kerry defences, and more, during his time. I remember the Round 4 qualifier we lost to Meath, he went on one of the greatest runs I've ever seen in the game but his shot just went wide, but he must have beaten about 5 players; he went along the sideline before cutting inside.

I think he scored the longest fisted point I've ever seen too, can't remember who it was against, but it was incredible. And then there was that display in 2010... the goal that he got was utterly fantastic, the brilliant dispossession of Scanlon made it and then he just ran through and crashed it home. Scored a couple of fine points in that game, including scoring straight from the throw-in.

Sometimes it was just the little things, even when he came back, he was always a brilliant outlet in the middle of the field to catch a ball. 15 years... he gave everything to Limerick and it's a real shame that he didn't win a Munster in one of those years. I know people from Kerry who speak of him in awed tones, and that is high praise considering the talent that they have soon.

Thank you John, for everything, the greatest player we've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Fireball07 wrote: »

With regard to Kevin O'Brien, I was always impressed with him up through the grades, maybe he's not that great for the Well, but are Tommy & Seanie O'Brien better? Is Fitzgibbon? Is Begley?

To be honest, that squad will change a lot during the campaign so the like of Carmody, K O'Brien and Dempsey may well come back into it.

I know my initial post may have come across as I was just targeting Kevin O'Brien but what had been bugging me reading this forum was all the people thinking he should be in the panel compared to anyone else and it just left me a bit baffled to be honest. You can't really compare him and his brothers as they are all completely different hurlers. Thomas and Seanie might be slightly comparable in that they both play half forward and are nippy and skillful but Kevin is a target man with the sole goal of scoring goals. All lacking consistency along with the others you mentioned, Fitzgibbon and Begley but maybe I am just being too critical as there has been a lot of questionable inclusions in the last few years and it's plainly due to a lack of talent in certain positions in Limerick. Does K O'Brien deserve a chance? Yes of course. Will he make the championship panel in the future..... Time will tell. There seems to be a lot of management favourites in Limerick squads in the last decade or so, without naming names, that should be nowhere near the squad so in these cases, yes why not give someone else a chance as so many have been and been very unimpressive.

All I'm saying is that I hope people were throwing out names for the sake of a new face in the squad that MAY cause some damage but if people have been genuinely impressed by some of the players mentioned, i'm sorry but they need to watch these players consistently and it is then that they will see how good they are....

If you build up someone's ego enough, they will start to believe they're king of the world and one thing Limerick need to learn from other counties is to stop hyping up every promising young fella in Limerick. Cork, Kilkenny and Tipp have unearthed some great young players that have settled into their senior team easy and that is because there is no big expectation of them. Just go out there and play.

I know this is starting to sound like I'm totally against Limerick but I'm a massive Limerick fan and go to as much of their matches as possible, when I don't have exams or am away. I was devastated when we lost to Kilkenny last year and Clare the year before because we had the beating of them on the day but certain things went wrong.

Proud to be a Limerick man and I hope my views don't come across as overly negative.

• Advertisement

To be honest, that squad will change a lot during the campaign so the like of Carmody, K O'Brien and Dempsey may well come back into it.

I know my initial post may have come across as I was just targeting Kevin O'Brien but what had been bugging me reading this forum was all the people thinking he should be in the panel compared to anyone else and it just left me a bit baffled to be honest. You can't really compare him and his brothers as they are all completely different hurlers. Thomas and Seanie might be slightly comparable in that they both play half forward and are nippy and skillful but Kevin is a target man with the sole goal of scoring goals. All lacking consistency along with the others you mentioned, Fitzgibbon and Begley but maybe I am just being too critical as there has been a lot of questionable inclusions in the last few years and it's plainly due to a lack of talent in certain positions in Limerick. Does K O'Brien deserve a chance? Yes of course. Will he make the championship panel in the future..... Time will tell. There seems to be a lot of management favourites in Limerick squads in the last decade or so, without naming names, that should be nowhere near the squad so in these cases, yes why not give someone else a chance as so many have been and been very unimpressive.

All I'm saying is that I hope people were throwing out names for the sake of a new face in the squad that MAY cause some damage but if people have been genuinely impressed by some of the players mentioned, i'm sorry but they need to watch these players consistently and it is then that they will see how good they are....

If you build up someone's ego enough, they will start to believe they're king of the world and one thing Limerick need to learn from other counties is to stop hyping up every promising young fella in Limerick. Cork, Kilkenny and Tipp have unearthed some great young players that have settled into their senior team easy and that is because there is no big expectation of them. Just go out there and play.

I know this is starting to sound like I'm totally against Limerick but I'm a massive Limerick fan and go to as much of their matches as possible, when I don't have exams or am away. I was devastated when we lost to Kilkenny last year and Clare the year before because we had the beating of them on the day but certain things went wrong.

Proud to be a Limerick man and I hope my views don't come across as overly negative.

Nail on head there. You're giving a fair analysis not a negative one.

Nah, that's a good post and totally fair.

I was throwing out some names, because some players in the team have had chances before and haven't really taken them. How long do we persist with those players? With some players, you don't really know how they'll react until they are given the chance... and some can be useful as an impact sub, despite being limited in certain areas.

I actually quite like Seanie & Tommy O'Brien; pacy, skilful hurlers. But they've both been in and out of the panel for a few years now, and while they may be fine against lower sides, I'm not convinced they're good enough to start in an All-Ireland semi-final or final. And surely that's what we're trying to aim for? Maybe KOB isn't either, but when he's been in Limerick panels in the past, he's always had a knack for getting goals.

And I am convinced that Alan Dempsey is good enough to start for Limerick, and most counties in the country. I don't really understand that one tbh. There are a few players not on the panel who are better than some on it, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I think Begley and morrissey two target men but obviously there different I'n sense morrisey is brilliant elusive and scoring wise
    But tj going for long direct physical approach

Cian lynch terrific call and is creative yes but he's picked half forward he won't have space run against sweeper system through sheer number bodies unless limerick play sweeper v clare

I think niall moran who imo terrific coach should be minor limerick is type player tj wants and niall shouldn't be there imo he's gone past he's best when best at times fell short

Credit tj including Breen I'm huge fan lad and seem him ucc he is fine once get run

That league panel won't change much for championship in it's bit late then imo as players need games rather thrown in v clare ist game

You judge management by panel they pick
    Panel imo is good but lot strange choices and Dempsey should be there
    There is a huge oversight imo on this thread In people are judging panel but lack coach tactical proven is being missed time and again imo

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Nah, that's a good post and totally fair.

I was throwing out some names, because some players in the team have had chances before and haven't really taken them. How long do we persist with those players? With some players, you don't really know how they'll react until they are given the chance... and some can be useful as an impact sub, despite being limited in certain areas.

I actually quite like Seanie & Tommy O'Brien; pacy, skilful hurlers. But they've both been in and out of the panel for a few years now, and while they may be fine against lower sides, I'm not convinced they're good enough to start in an All-Ireland semi-final or final. And surely that's what we're trying to aim for? Maybe KOB isn't either, but when he's been in Limerick panels in the past, he's always had a knack for getting goals.

And I am convinced that Alan Dempsey is good enough to start for Limerick, and most counties in the country. I don't really understand that one tbh. There are a few players not on the panel who are better than some on it, for sure.

Maybe a totally experimental side should be used for the whole league campaign then? It's never going to happen but there's an upside and downside to this opinion of mine which I discussed recently with one of the lads.

Lets say we throw out a full strength team for the league campaign and get promoted. Fantastic for us and great confidence for the lads but it may have meant that we got to see no new faces and all it tells us is that we were better than Waterford during the league so got promoted.

Then on the flip side, do we desperately need to get out of division 1B and therefore why not risk some new fellas? What harm has it done us in the last 2 seasons? We've got far in the championship last 2 seasons so how bad! Positives of this would be we get to see a lot of new faces and they get to make a name for themselves come championship time. Other side of this is that should we be aiming for promotion and mix it with the big boys and then to raise the question that if we can't beat the big teams, what hopes do we have in the championship (which i don't agree with by the way as championship is a totally different atmosphere)

Opinions on this?

Maybe a totally experimental side should be used for the whole league campaign then? It's never going to happen but there's an upside and downside to this opinion of mine which I discussed recently with one of the lads.

Lets say we throw out a full strength team for the league campaign and get promoted. Fantastic for us and great confidence for the lads but it may have meant that we got to see no new faces and all it tells us is that we were better than Waterford during the league so got promoted.

Then on the flip side, do we desperately need to get out of division 1B and therefore why not risk some new fellas? What harm has it done us in the last 2 seasons? We've got far in the championship last 2 seasons so how bad! Positives of this would be we get to see a lot of new faces and they get to make a name for themselves come championship time. Other side of this is that should we be aiming for promotion and mix it with the big boys and then to raise the question that if we can't beat the big teams, what hopes do we have in the championship (which i don't agree with by the way as championship is a totally different atmosphere)

Opinions on this?

I think we do need to get out of Division 1B desperately. It hasn't hurt us much, but we can't know that we wouldn't have done even better if we had the edge of having 5 more competitive games early in the year... it would certainly be a barometer for some of the younger players.

But there is a balance to be struck... the point in building a panel is that you can make switches that don't affect the strength of the team. It's not a 15-man game anymore, you need to have 8 or 9 reliable subs at least, and it's one area where we fell down last year.

Playing a team like:

Quaid
    Dempsey McCarthy Condon
    T. Ryan Hickey Gavin
    Browne Jim-Bob
    Breen Hannon Downes
    Lynch Dowling Mulcahy

is a team which omits some of our regulars over the past few years, but should still be strong enough to win any game in Division 2. Even playing 11 or 12 core players and trying 3 or 4 is good enough. There's no point starting a complete experimental team really, as you do want to have some continuity too.

Last year, they played the same half-back line for the whole league. No matter how poorly they played, they were getting picked and that's not good either, you need to have real competition for places... and it ended up being our weakest line throughout the year. This year everyone should have their places under threat if they aren't performing at their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Great to see Cian Lynch step up and carry on the Carey legacy - you can't beat breeding

Looking forward to seeing more of him on bigger stage I was always a huge fan of Ciaran

It's like Ritchie Hogan and DJ

Can't see the merit of retaining Niall Moran when younger players need to be developed

JBM bit the bullet with the cork elder statesmen and TJ should too

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

N20 wrote: »
    Great to see Cian Lynch step up and carry on the Carey legacy - you can't beat breeding

Looking forward to seeing more of him on bigger stage I was always a huge fan of Ciaran

It's like Ritchie Hogan and DJ

Can't see the merit of retaining Niall Moran when younger players need to be developed

JBM bit the bullet with the cork elder statesmen and TJ should too

Agree about the elder statesmen, Id have liked to see a new captain too, think hickey would have been a good choice, dodge, while a great capt, can't see him having as large a role on the field this year, things can get stale quickly. My fear is that TJ may be valuing continuity above change, as we've seen with Kilkenny Cody embraces change which is why they've been so dominant for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

N20 wrote: »

I always liked Moran but its inexplicable that he is involved with the amount of young talent in the county.

Orizio wrote: »
    I always liked Moran but its inexplicable that he is involved with the amount of young talent in the county.

I'd agree but this is no surprise at all to me

Just wait and see team championship imo be more less same last year

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

I'd agree but this is no surprise at all to me

Just wait and see team championship imo be more less same last year

It will be more or less the same. I don't think any supporter would advocate changing any more than two/three of the starting team.

It will be more or less the same. I don't think any supporter would advocate changing any more than two/three of the starting team.

I'd disagree lot limerick fans I talk to say should be four changes

Obviously here I agree most don't see changes which is their opinion fair enough

What do you make management in any concerns going forward in yesterday you portrayed you were unhappy with panel

I'd like know please before championship start would you have any concerns going forward and who do you think provides tactical nous in this set up
    I ask this few times but people don't answer
    Fair enough but surely it's valid question
    If some one can provide answer it be good as I geuinely wonder who does and maybe I'm missing something

Thanks in advance

Obviously here I agree most don't see changes which is their opinion fair enough

What do you make management in any concerns going forward in yesterday you portrayed you were unhappy with panel

I'd like know please before championship start would you have any concerns going forward and who do you think provides tactical nous in this set up
    If some one can provide answer it be good as I geuinely wonder who does and maybe I'm missing something

Thanks in advance

Before last year I would have said yes there should be some changes but as time went on I realised that we basically had out our best 15 and there was nobody on the bench that could have done much of a better job.

In saying that, some players need an extended run in the team to make a stake for a championship starting spot. You can't trial players in the championship. You can't take big risks either, especially Limerick, so you must put on the most consistent 15.

Tomas Ryan is one guy now that needs to start every league game but in what position, I really don't know. It's kind of like the Hickey issue where everyone knew he should have been starting for Limerick every game, but in what position was the main issue. Without a doubt, Ryan is a very talented hurler and capable of scores so half forward or midfield would probably be his best position at the moment. Frustrates me to see him wasted as a half back.

Centre back is still a position up for grabs I feel and we need a dominating full forward also. Dowling should be pushed back into the half forward line where he can win ball and pop over some long range scores. Downes needs to rediscover his form and Mulcahy needs to be more consistent because he really is a super talent.

As I mentioned previously, that squad will be chopped and changed numerous times with Kilmallock players missing for the club matches, if they progress, and with injuries so don't be surprised to see those dropped to rejoin the panel.

Thanks in advance

You keep banging on about tactical nous in the limerick set up. Much was made of Tipp's set up in the latter stages of the league, Limerick completely out thought and nullified them. On the other hand, Cork have recently demonstrated tactical ineptitude on numerous occasions in recent years.

I doubt any Limerick fan would drop four players from our starting team, be interested in others' views on this. In my view all the below will and should start this year, not necessarily in the positions they played last year:

Quaid, Condon, McCarthy, Hickey, O'Mahony, McNamara, Browne, Ryan, Hannon, Dowling, Mulcahy, Downes, and one or both of O'Grady and Breen.

Max two players dropped.

I'd add the the games that we've lost were not lost due to match tactics.

I think it's too early to say who you'd want to be dropping for the team. There shouldn't be a limit or a certain amount you should drop, it would completely depend on performances.

For example, I would consider Hannon, Dowling, Mulcahy and Downes a lock. But Downes was poor in the latter stages of the Championship. If Cian Lynch, for example, was to come in and do outstandingly well, then he could jump ahead of him.

I just want to see form rewarded tbh, and a bit more competition. I think Condon could have had a better year last year, I really thought Dempsey was going to make him seriously up his game to hold onto his position.

And Nicky to centre-back is something I'd love to see tried against a serious team.

But I wouldn't have a problem with 12/13/14 of the same players starting again if they deserve to be ahead of their competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Yeah, id only make 2 definite changes, goals and half back. After that its pick on form, make changes at midfield on 45mins and have a bench. Lynch and morrissey def give us bench options, plus lynch is a completely different style of player. Use the league to give fellas a run to boost their confidence and find best positions.

Hennessey
    walsh
    Richie
    Hickey
    T Ryan
    Wayne
    GOM
    Jimbob
    Browne
    DOG
    Hannon
    Breen
    Mul
    Dowling
    Downes

POB
    Cian
    Morrissey x2
    ALTC
    Condon
    And any other fella who puts his hand up during league/remainder of club AI is a good bench option.

Anyway, match next weekend so team will tell a lot.

• Advertisement

Yeah, id only make 2 definite changes, goals and half back. After that its pick on form, make changes at midfield on 45mins and have a bench. Lynch and morrissey def give us bench options, plus lynch is a completely different style of player. Use the league to give fellas a run to boost their confidence and find best positions.

Hennessey
    walsh
    Richie
    Hickey
    T Ryan
    Wayne
    GOM
    Jimbob
    Browne
    DOG
    Hannon
    Breen
    Mul
    Dowling
    Downes

POB
    Cian
    Morrissey x2
    ALTC
    Condon
    And any other fella who puts his hand up during league/remainder of club AI is a good bench option.

Anyway, match next weekend so team will tell a lot.

You left out poor Nicky. To be honest, I'd only be moving him outfield if he's definitely going to start. And ALTC is doing the Leaving, he's not going to be in the squad... but personally, I wouldn't have any qualms about throwing Cathal King into a Championship match, and we have Seanie Tobin aswell.

Hopefully one of Allis, Reidy or Adrian Breen can really make the step up too. If even one of them was a reliable sub, it'd be a big boost.

I could see the four minors (mentioned in the leader) doing the leaving cert being added to the panel after they finished exams. ALTC as a corner back option?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Twoman Fullbackline

Thanks in advance

I'd be pretty unhappy were that to be the final panel. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing having the Niall Morans still there - it could be good for the squad to have that experience in the panel, but I wouldn't agree with discarding Alan Dempsey and Mark Carmody. I hope to see another name or two from Kilmallock being added. In fairness regarding some of the minors, a lot of them are still in school and I would have great confidence in John Kiely working with them at U21 this year.

In TJ's defence, I think he had a limited hand last year and went with the same players that were proven. This year the potential was there to try out a wide range of players in the League, but the panel doesn't give me confidence in that regard.

Changes I would like to see: at least another corner-back tried out extensively in the league. In ridding ourselves of Dempsey & Carmody we've lost two options there, as well as not bringing Richie English on board. Everyone had concerns regarding the half-back line last year and with POB & GOM on duty with Kilmallock you'd imagine it's going to be fairly different for the League. Having 3 keepers gives me a bit of optimism that Nicky Quaid will get a run outfield. Midfield we have one of the better pairings around and I think there are a lot of good options available as cover. Forwards is probably more a question of getting the balance right than wholesale changes, I have a feeling Cian Lynch will be a big addition here.

Along the lines of the following, from a League point of view, baring in mind the Balbec players won't be available:

Murphy, Hickey, McCarthy, Condon, McNamara, Quaid, T Ryan, Browne, J Ryan, C Lynch, Downes, Hannon, A Breen, Dowling, Reidy

Have no real idea how Quaid would fair at intercounty at 6, but there's been clamour for a long time to give him a go there. D Morrissey & King being options in the half-back line, T Morrissey & D Breen options for the forwards. The rest, being brutally honest, I wouldn't see as being good enough, or else past it, but that's just my own opinion. The more I look at it, the more I think we have absolutely sold ourselves down the river as regards options for the full-back line.

That said, the Leader could have an article saying that x,y,z have been added next week. Time will tell.

I could see the four minors (mentioned in the leader) doing the leaving cert being added to the panel after they finished exams. ALTC as a corner back option?

I just find it hard to see them being introduced midway through the Championship... Ronan Lynch is the only one, as good as the others are. I think ALTC is wasted in the backs tbh, he's absolutely lethal in attack.

And there's no way he's a better corner-back than English or Dempsey tbh.

Murphy, Hickey, McCarthy, Condon, McNamara, Quaid, T Ryan, Browne, J Ryan, C Lynch, Downes, Hannon, A Breen, Dowling, Reidy

Have no real idea how Quaid would fair at intercounty at 6, but there's been clamour for a long time to give him a go there. D Morrissey & King being options in the half-back line, T Morrissey & D Breen options for the forwards. The rest, being brutally honest, I wouldn't see as being good enough, or else past it, but that's just my own opinion. The more I look at it, the more I think we have absolutely sold ourselves down the river as regards options for the full-back line.

During the strike year, I was impressed with Quaid outfield and he's only got better and matured since then. But yeah, you'd have to try him before you could judge him. He has plenty of talent alright.

That team does look good, but as much as I want to see Downes at 11, I think Hannon has to stay there. He has so much talent and only really started excelling on his return to that position.

I would have liked to see Hickey move to the half-back line to see more of his hurling and add a bit of an aerial presence, but as you say, having sold ourselves a bit short, he's likely to remain inside. He's a super corner-back, but I think he's even better further out the field tbh- his engine and work rate are serious. But Stephen Walsh is a pretty solid operator, he's not on the same level as Hickey, but he can do a job, I suppose. So I think it'd be harsh to say he's good enough.

I'd like to see Paudie solely as a midfielder this year, we'll see how things go there. And I think Cathal King is better as a corner-back or midfielder than as a half-back. But I like half-backs to be powerful in the air and I'm not sure he brings that like some of the competition... but he has loads of pace and no little skill, I think he could be a great midfield option in the Paul Browne mould.

I'm not 100% convinced that Adrian Breen or Reidy are at top Championship standard, going off league performances in the past. Maybe they are, but I wouldn't have them ahead of the other Breen or Morrissey anyway.

You keep banging on about tactical nous in the limerick set up. Much was made of Tipp's set up in the latter stages of the league, Limerick completely out thought and nullified them. On the other hand, Cork have recently demonstrated tactical ineptitude on numerous occasions in recent years.

I doubt any Limerick fan would drop four players from our starting team, be interested in others' views on this. In my view all the below will and should start this year, not necessarily in the positions they played last year:

Quaid, Condon, McCarthy, Hickey, O'Mahony, McNamara, Browne, Ryan, Hannon, Dowling, Mulcahy, Downes, and one or both of O'Grady and Breen.

Max two players dropped.

I'd add the the games that we've lost were not lost due to match tactics.
    Imo McNamara, o mahony Breen should be dropped and o brien if consistency is not back based on last year

I one hundred per cent agree cork have tactical ineptitude and difference is cork as you will find cork thread will acknowledge that unlike here where with respect as shown by your view limerick losses had nothing do with tactical astuteness limerick refuse to see theirs problems in type player being picked in relation to one side dimensions predicted style play limerick play

Cork this year have unproven at senior landers but he offers real hope and potential unlike limerick who have same faces as last year and they as said other poster correctly the status quo in ryan is continuing with same and refusal embrace change

As bad cork were they still beat limerick and would do again next year but that won't happen as they won't meet as cork will be quatre final all ireland limerick will be beaten in the ist round

I don't think limerick out though tipp at all on review game as whole you would find tipp had control game and dowling brilliant intervention saved them

It's been said many times since Kilkenney game that limerick had one style and they had no plan b
    Last night clear see in challenge cork had varied approach yet last week clear see limerick style is hit long and direct
    I'm not banging on bout tactical nous with respect I did ask numerous times and got no answer so I asked again

In your answer you still didn't answer who will provide tactical nous in the set up
    Fair enough I wont ask again but it's clear the side tracking here of the question and failure by you to say who is tactical man in set up tell me limerick unfortunately have none

Pride passion commitment physically absolutely it's there but the ability to have plan a and b read game flow, the non balance backs in the panel and to game manage imo means limerick won't be doing much next year

Just my opinion I could of course be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'm not sure DOG is up to it anymore. He had a nightmare v KK (prob shouldn't even have played). We certainly need to freshen things up in the forwards.

Rightwing wrote: »
    I'm not sure DOG is up to it anymore. He had a nightmare v KK (prob shouldn't even have played). We certainly need to freshen things up in the forwards.

He had an excellent first 40 minutes or so against kilkenny. Maybe doesn't have 70 in him any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

He had an excellent first 40 minutes or so against kilkenny. Maybe doesn't have 70 in him any more.

Would you chance him wing back?

Vanolder wrote: »
    Would you chance him wing back?

He'd probably prefer it to wing forward.

• Advertisement

Dodge had a mostly good game against KK, and his ability to break ball and scrap for it alone makes him worthwhile and he's always good for a point or two. But he doesn't have the legs for 70 mins anymore, and he shouldn't be asked to do that either.

I don't mind him at either half-back or half-forward, but either way we should have a replacement ready for him. (The likes of Tom Ryan or Dan Morrissey or maybe Tom Morrissey in attack)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement