Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

sasta le wrote: »
    They all work for Response? How thebinter firm work

First and foremost my apologies for the delay in replying to your post

No not all work for the teams as guest players are allowed
    Response would have huge pick and lot kilmallock boys and effin, then across the border in cork Ballyhea would provide players

Tony considine I think still has some role in the running of the company or else had so really in to hurling

Last week the team had Barry Coleman, pa callaghan Eugene o leary, Neil ronan Ballyhea

From limerick had jake and ghrame mulchay , quaid outfield and David Reidy playing

Wayne McNamara and Paul browne did not play but did before
    Finn from Bruff who playing limerick minors and ul freshers played I think
    noel hickey kilkenny full back did not play in the final but did play before for them

Imo I agree with other poster it's fine competition, at end season the final so I see nothing wrong with it and I didn't make the final but have been at top quality games in the past in the competition
    The organisation deserves credit for organising it imo

Tom Morrisey had a fine game tonight for Ul tonight in all ireland fresher league final, they lost to ucc.
    A few other limerick lad's played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

First and foremost my apologies for the delay in replying to your post

No not all work for the teams as guest players are allowed
    Response would have huge pick and lot kilmallock boys and effin, then across the border in cork Ballyhea would provide players

Tony considine I think still has some role in the running of the company or else had so really in to hurling

Last week the team had Barry Coleman, pa callaghan Eugene o leary, Neil ronan Ballyhea

From limerick had jake and ghrame mulchay , quaid outfield and David Reidy playing

Wayne McNamara and Paul browne did not play but did before
    Finn from Bruff who playing limerick minors and ul freshers played I think
    noel hickey kilkenny full back did not play in the final but did play before for them

Imo I agree with other poster it's fine competition, at end season the final so I see nothing wrong with it and I didn't make the final but have been at top quality games in the past in the competition
    The organisation deserves credit for organising it imo

Tom Morrisey had a fine game tonight for Ul tonight in all ireland fresher league final, they lost to ucc.
    A few other limerick lad's played.

You obviously don't get out very often either...;)

washman3 wrote: »
    You obviously don't get out very often either...;)

Yeah well said
    I don't go to many gaa matches just the odd one to shoot the breeze :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Even if the players deny it, they must feel they owe Clare something after underperforming so badly in 2013. Are we better than Clare? I have no idea... we'd certainly have beaten them in the Championship last year, you'd feel, but even though we flopped in a bad, bad way; they had us sussed in 2013, they knew how to beat us and duly did.

Clare will be older, more experienced in 2015 and have that success behind them (as well as 4 U-21 All-Irelands in the past 6 years). But they won't have Paul Kinnerk and one or two more of their coaching staff, and they won't have Podge Collins. Obviously seriously skilful youngsters coming through too, but what level will Bugler & Donnellan, for example, be operating at next year?

And much like Cratloe, they play a certain style, but do they have the ball-winners up front to repeat their feat of 2013? Is Peter Duggan good enough? Is Honan good enough? Do they have others who can perform their roles to the required standard?

They have much more strength in depth than us... they have an All-Ireland already behind them, they have some top class young players who aren't even regulars yet and probably will be soon- Flanagan, Shanahan, Bobby Duggan, Reidy, Cunningham, Tots, etc.

We definitely need to add a bit of quality depth by blooding players in the League and WCC. We have quality youngsters of our own. The form Tom Morrissey has been in for UL freshers, I think it'd be crazy not to give him a shot. And then it's up to TJ and the others.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 goldfinger4296

Clare and Limerick are in talks about a home and away agreement. Cusack Park will be able to hold 23000 after upgrading works due to commence shortly. The decision about venue will be made available at next week's meeting of the Munster Council. This info was relayed to me by Ed Donnelly Munster PRO when I enquired why the venue was listed on the website as TBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Clare and Limerick are in talks about a home and away agreement. Cusack Park will be able to hold 23000 after upgrading works due to commence shortly. The decision about venue will be made available at next week's meeting of the Munster Council. This info was relayed to me by Ed Donnelly Munster PRO when I enquired why the venue was listed on the website as TBC.

Would it be ready by May though?

Imagine would have to be Thurles..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Meeting of winners of waherford v LIT in the WCC. Have to wait till the 18th though.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Meeting of winners of waherford v LIT in the WCC. Have to wait till the 18th though.

Big day of Harty cup tommorrow, Doon and castletroy in with a chance of qualifying for the quarter finals, playing fermoy and ag mhuire, ard scoil practically there already, if 2 limerick schools get into quarters that wouldn't be bad going, 3 would be great as the more games potential minors have in the Harty the better, especially keeping 2 cork schools out as limerick are meeting cork in the Munster minor championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

N.Quaid
    T.Condon R.McCarthy S.Hickey
    P.O'Brien W.McNamara G.O'Mahony

J.Ryan P.Browne
    D.Hannon D.O'Grady D.Breen
    G.Mulcahy S.Dowling K.Downes

Sean Tobin to miss most of the league as well as the Kilmallock players shaded in orange.

I think the loss of Tobin will stand to us as he was the most likely to slot in for Mulcahy, so our hand has been forced to look elsewhere.

I'd expect that Wayne McNamara will play every game in the league as we'll already be without two starters in that line, if you want to win 1B you probably shouldn't risk an all new half back line.

I've a feeling Tom Ryan will get plenty of game time, he's borderline starting XV and he's a logical player to target with first team experience in the league.

Of the players highlighted in bold I'd anticipate that no less than 10 of those 12 will start each game, I'm hoping David Reidy will get a few games and maybe one of the minors like Cian Lynch to get a bit of gametime.

We have a decent collection of 18/19 players, we need more than 3/4 reliable options on the bench, and with GMul P'OBr GO'Ma and STob out of the picture we need to target another 3 or 4 in the league with regular gametime. A stronger bench is one thing we definitely need. Being in 1B doesn't help (in my opinion!) but we just have to make the most of it.

I spoke with a number of the players who were on the minor panel this year, to say they were annoyed with some of the carry on from the management is putting it mildly, I have to say I was very impressed by each one I was lucky enough to speak to. They put in some amount of work, you'd be amazed how dedicated some of these guys are at 15/16/17/18 years of age. I was initially disappointed that Brian Ryan was let go after winning back to back Munsters but after talking to the players I'm in no doubt whatsoever that it's for the best. They weren't down on all of the management team, full of praise for Jerry Wallace and Steve McDonagh for example.

N.Quaid

J.Ryan P.Browne

Sean Tobin to miss most of the league as well as the Kilmallock players shaded in orange.

I think the loss of Tobin will stand to us as he was the most likely to slot in for Mulcahy, so our hand has been forced to look elsewhere.

I'd expect that Wayne McNamara will play every game in the league as we'll already be without two starters in that line, if you want to win 1B you probably shouldn't risk an all new half back line.

I've a feeling Tom Ryan will get plenty of game time, he's borderline starting XV and he's a logical player to target with first team experience in the league.

Of the players highlighted in bold I'd anticipate that no less than 10 of those 12 will start each game, I'm hoping David Reidy will get a few games and maybe one of the minors like Cian Lynch to get a bit of gametime.

We have a decent collection of 18/19 players, we need more than 3/4 reliable options on the bench, and with GMul P'OBr GO'Ma and STob out of the picture we need to target another 3 or 4 in the league with regular gametime. A stronger bench is one way we definitely need. Being in 1B doesn't help (in my opinion!) but we just have to make the most of it.

I spoke with a number of the players who were on the minor panel this year, to say they were annoyed with some of the carry on from the management is putting it mildly, I have to say I was very impressed by each one I was lucky enough to speak to. They put in some amount of work, you'd be amazed how dedicated some of these guys are at 15/16/17/18 years of age. I was initially disappointed that Brian Ryan was let go after winning back to back Munsters but after talking to the players I'm in no doubt whatsoever that it's for the best. They weren't down on all of the management team, full of praise for Jerry Wallace and Steve McDonagh for example.

Agree with everything you say really. Hickey moving out to the half-back line is a strong possibility, I think. Morrissey & Lynch foremost among last year's minors to step up, I think. Richie English and Darragh O'Donovan possibles too.

You'd imagine Reidy will feature a bit after featuring strongly last year in the league. Is he top level? I'm not sure.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Agree with everything you say really. Hickey moving out to the half-back line is a strong possibility, I think. Morrissey & Lynch foremost among last year's minors to step up, I think. Richie English and Darragh O'Donovan possibles too.

You'd imagine Reidy will feature a bit after featuring strongly last year in the league. Is he top level? I'm not sure.
    Reidy was very unlucky to get injured when he did, a bit like Allis before him. They both got bad injuries at the worst possible time in terms of their trajectory towards the starting XV.

I'd definitely agree on the to Doon lads, a very under represented club in county terms really, they're not that far off Kilmallock and Na Piarsaigh in my opinion. I've always liked Cathal Mac from them too, not sure if he's county level but I'd like to see him get a fair crack of the whip.

Morrissey is an exciting prospect, had an excellent year with Ahane.

Reidy was very unlucky to get injured when he did, a bit like Allis before him. They both got bad injuries at the worst possible time in terms of their trajectory towards the starting XV.

I'd definitely agree on the to Doon lads, a very under represented club in county terms really, they're not that far off Kilmallock and Na Piarsaigh in my opinion. I've always liked Cathal Mac from them too, not sure if he's county level but I'd like to see him get a fair crack of the whip.

Forgot about Allis, hasn't ever made much of an impact as a sub though and even in the league, I thought he was unconvincing. He is talented for sure, but we need to learn how to get the best out of him.

Tbh it took until the Wexford game for a Limerick manager since O'Grady the first time to get a great Championship performance from Hannon despite his talent. And Downes is also not used correctly.

I will give it to TJ, he does seem to know how to get the best out of his best players- Hannon, Dowling, Hickey, McCarthy, Jim-Bob, Browne, Breen... hopefully now that he has a full preparation campaign can he do the same with some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Ciaran Carey ratified as the new Patrickswell manager. Mark Foley has joined him as assistant manager also after working together with Lixnaw. Don't know what kind of reaction Foley will get in the Well.....

Colemania wrote: »
    Ciaran Carey ratified as the new Patrickswell manager. Mark Foley has joined him as assistant manager also after working together with Lixnaw. Don't know what kind of reaction Foley will get in the Well.....

Never mind the 'Well, I can't see it going down very well with some in Adare!

I can't imagine the Well will have any major issue with him, but I've already spoken to a few in Adare, mixed reaction to say the least!!

Fireball my opinion is reidy is not intercounty level good club hurler but that's all
    Saw him last year v Waterford challenge after Ard scoil hammies game wasn't impressed
    He played last week interfirm for response I'm told was not great
    Ray Ryan held him easily as Ryan fine club hurler in cork but not elite intercounty

Good news declan hannon I hear played kerry group and played well two weeks ago.
    I heard most ye 21 panel apparently still being finalised

Very impressed what I hear if true some names on it
    Seriously great set up this year
    This set up will win all irelands in two years and ye good chance beating a very good tipp team next year

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

N.Quaid

J.Ryan P.Browne

We have a decent collection of 18/19 players, we need more than 3/4 reliable options on the bench, and with GMul P'OBr GO'Ma and STob out of the picture we need to target another 3 or 4 in the league with regular gametime. A stronger bench is one thing we definitely need. Being in 1B doesn't help (in my opinion!) but we just have to make the most of it.

Fully agree with all of that post except that I'd have had rid of Ryan sooner.

Missing our two usual corner forwards of the last couple of years for the league may be a positive, I think it's a position where we need to add a player anyway. Downes needs to be rehabilitated to the level we know he can perform at, I fully expected him to be our best forward this year he had been going so well but the season finished diaappointingly for him. If he could perform at his best in the corner then with Dowling and Mul that could be an unstoppable line. I suspect he needs to shift to half forward though. Something that needs to be sorted in the league.

Would like to see Dempsey, Morrissey, and Ryan get a lot of league time as o think these three in particular are capable of being starting 15 players and improving the team. Reidy, Fitz from Adare, Kevin O'Brien and a handful of recent minors could all have a chance to come into the forwards.

In fairness Cathal Mc was 6 for the two waterford crystal games last year and the intermediate team after that. Still could step up to senior.

Yere playing wexford senior challenge in tippeary tomorrow
    Apparently Yere trying get 21 game also
    As for next year imo won't be too many if any changes from team next year
    Tj isn't ruthless enough to make changes as seen by selection process last year and he's set on particular type player love or money won't change he's view
    Most teams he had he rarely changed
    I saw him limerick 21 challenge last year v cork in Mallow and even challenge he imo very slow read game.

Tj isn't ruthless enough to make changes as seen by selection process last year and he's set on particular type player love or money won't change he's view
    I saw him limerick 21 challenge last year v cork in Mallow and even challenge he imo very slow read game.

I think he may have been right last year to an extent his loyalty was rewarded and the league had already been made a balls of so not much room for experimentation. He turned around the team and made a massive improvement for which he deserves enormous credit. Next year is what he will be judged by IMO as we are there or thereabouts and need a 5% improvement to get us to a final challenging for a title. Having the team for a full year should lead to improvement and he should have space to find new players too.

Out of interest what is the particular type of player he's set on and what examples are there of who has won/lost out on this basis?

I think he may have been right last year to an extent his loyalty was rewarded and the league had already been made a balls of so not much room for experimentation. He turned around the team and made a massive improvement for which he deserves enormous credit. Next year is what he will be judged by IMO as we are there or thereabouts and need a 5% improvement to get us to a final challenging for a title. Having the team for a full year should lead to improvement and he should have space to find new players too.

Out of interest what is the particular type of player he's set on and what examples are there of who has won/lost out on this basis?

Point is if he's set on a team rarely change

Like as good as o brien was and o mahony many times they were in poor form yet he kept playing them
    He's type player is stronger direct hurling around middle third and he'll play imo Wayne mac etc at six

Tom Ryan is everything you want in a player, ul played ucd last year I at game talking former kilkenny player at it and he said then tom Ryan had start limerick

Imo Ryan isn't tj type player in he will run with the ball and play short game and he's more about pace than physically imposing

To say ye need five per cent more win all Ireland is not accurate.
    Kilkenny beat ye and imo kilkenny will further improve again from next year. Ye need like all teams find another fifteen per cent to even come close to them

Adrian breen has real pace and fine hurler but again not style tj likes imo

You must keep in mind not one Yere back room set up proven tactical success wise
    And the real statement for me last year was when niall moran was recalled to the panel
    Even many agreed here at best he has good and bad games
    We have same problem in cork football calling up lads that didn't perform before.

To call him up based on a challenge v Waterford in Dundrum showed the thinking this set up in the direction it's going.
    He was loyal to older players
    The team won't change greatly next year he will belive that a puck of a ball separated kilkenny and limerick so he won't imo see need some change in the team so he'll start almost same team again and as last year in cork and kilkenny proved there's key aera need fixing

He will be loyal to a group players he feels came so close last year
    He is the same thinking of john Allen and conor counihan, ruthless with some players but once they pick their team rarely change
    Limerick teams imo he will pick on strong direct hurling, physical aggression but little of pace in hurlers and also hurlers that play non orthodox style he won't facilitate imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Iecrawfc

I'm not sure you could judge TJ from last year alone, he was left in the lurch at the end of the league so all he could do was row in behind what he had and go with that, yes he was slow to change last year in games( most obviously his wing backs in the Munster final) but you would hope he has learned and has gained confidence from last year and with a full pre-season and league to work with that he has recognised the need to blood some competition in the panel/team. Realistically after the O'Grady debacle most people were happy with where we were last year, whether they can get the extra 5/10% this year and win the AI remains to be seen but after a difficult situation I was impressed by how TJ conducts himself around the media and how he has brought the best out of Hickey, McCarty, Hannon and Dowling. Like players I think managers need a few years to come to grips with the inter county game too.

• Advertisement

Iecrawfc wrote: »
    I'm not sure you could judge TJ from last year alone, he was left in the lurch at the end of the league so all he could do was row in behind what he had and go with that, yes he was slow to change last year in games( most obviously his wing backs in the Munster final) but you would hope he has learned and has gained confidence from last year and with a full pre-season and league to work with that he has recognised the need to blood some competition in the panel/team. Realistically after the O'Grady debacle most people were happy with where we were last year, whether they can get the extra 5/10% this year and win the AI remains to be seen but after a difficult situation I was impressed by how TJ conducts himself around the media and how he has brought the best out of Hickey, McCarty, Hannon and Dowling. Like players I think managers need a few years to come to grips with the inter county game too.

All a manager needs imo most of the time is two years as seen by Jim mcguinnees and eammon fitzmaurice, Jim gavin, Davy Fitzgerald etc

Giving a manager more than two years unless significant progress is made is just a huge mistake
    I'm not sure he done well last year.
    This year will reveal all
    Beat tippeary yes fair play.
    Well done.

Cork ye were very poor some bizarre side line calls imo
    Wexford imo can't judge at face value as four games in four weeks
    I said time ye win that handy
    Kilkenny were there for the taking but too slow to make changes wrong team imo cost ye.
    When you break it down and judge each game at face value it doesn't seem great imo
    Tactically he's still imo being showed to be off the mark
    Now being good with the limerick leader is all fine to a point and the media
    That is irrelevant.
    All irelands count.
    John Allen and Brian cuthbhert are brilliant with the media.
    But they are not great tacticians.
    The media is not much good to limerick hurling when the game is in the melting pot with ten to go and they can't game manage.

Limerick U21 set up is brilliant and this year and what I heard so far is ten times better last year.
    I watched them train in rathkwale once last year I was passing through, and I knew they would and I said it be destroyed by clare

This year team is a serious set up
    Corbett will have these lads conditioned like no tomorrow and ye have better tactical awareness than the senior set up with kiely and the brilliant quilty
    The panel assembled names I heard are very promising.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Tom Ryan doesn't get a decent amount of gametime next year. In fairness, he was the player asked to step up to the first team more than any other and started against Wexford. I do think it's a little odd that he was asked to play wing-forward rather than wing-back, but it was probably to do with our lack of options up front. There was a bit of controversy with Ryan during the league, and wasn't available for selection for a few games, but it all got sorted in the end. I reckon he'll be well in contention next year.

You could be right about Reidy not ever being more than a fringe player, but he is probably better than our other options. Adrian Breen is also a great club hurler, but never really did it when asked to step up to the 1st team in the league... he's quick, but wasn't able to win his own ball. Same happened with John Fitzgibbon. Now, maybe they deserve a better chance but with good young players coming up, they're going to be under pressure. I'd say Allis & Reidy are going to be ahead of Breen, Fitzgibbon, Quaid, Tommy O'Brien. As glas says, Kevin O'Brien is definitely worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

QUOTE]

Yes TJ Ryan picks the same 15 nearly as much as Donal O Grady and John Allen in their days managing Cork. If he gets the same results his consistent selections will be seen as a strength.

Iecrawfc wrote: »

I agree with all that. I don't buy what Thinkstoomuch is saying regarding type of player, yet. Paul Browne at midfield for example? Paudie at wing back hardly a stereotypical direct or imposing player either. Ryan is an excellent prospect but questions remain about commitment and fitness -and yet TJ didn't leave him out as stated, he actually did his best to work him back into the team by playing him out of position at wing forward.

Like said above last year was not a year on which you could judge TJ, what he did was remarkable given what had gone before and the time he had. This year is where he has space to shape the team a bit more so we can judge him on that.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd be surprised if Tom Ryan doesn't get a decent amount of gametime next year. In fairness, he was the player asked to step up to the first team more than any other and started against Wexford. I do think it's a little odd that he was asked to play wing-forward rather than wing-back, but it was probably to do with our lack of options up front. There was a bit of controversy with Ryan during the league, and wasn't available for selection for a few games, but it all got sorted in the end. I reckon he'll be well in contention next year.

You could be right about Reidy not ever being more than a fringe player, but he is probably better than our other options. Adrian Breen is also a great club hurler, but never really did it when asked to step up to the 1st team in the league... he's quick, but wasn't able to win his own ball. Same happened with John Fitzgibbon. Now, maybe they deserve a better chance but with good young players coming up, they're going to be under pressure. I'd say Allis & Reidy are going to be ahead of Breen, Fitzgibbon, Quaid, Tommy O'Brien. As glas says, Kevin O'Brien is definitely worth a shot.
    As always you are rarely wrong

The slightest thing I'd disagree with is tobin isn't a ball winner yet he was facilitied in team where breen imo is better hurler
    Playing breen up front is not an option either as proven v kilkenny all ball he wins he can't score goals.
    Ryan it was wrong call to play him as a forward but as I said this management game management is poor
    He should started against kilkenny

As to compare o grady and tj is inaccurate.
    O grady actually changed whole dynamic of cork style play by playing tom Kenny at midfield from half back in year two he won the all Ireland
    Allen then took over and won in that year
    But that team was already built didn't have to play kilkenny
    That was Allen down fall with limerick and cork picked same teams over and over again and too predictable in cork and limerick and both clare and kilkenny waited in the long grass
    Cork simply failed in 2006 as team never changed and no new forwards were brought on bar a defender Cian o connor as forward all cause he got three goals in challenge v clare

Allen waited an age to switch mulchay off aidan fogarty then it was too late bring on best defender cork Wayne sherlock as one three was conceded

Allen was awful v clare so much so he stood gazing out on the ptich at half time when the team craved tactical changes
    But yes Allen some manager to talk the talk
    I was proven as many know here one hundred per cent right with Allen and I said he'd struggle get top job after limerick
    He's with carlow now director of hurling.
    Fancy title he got fair play.
    Allen never changed he team so use example that justified tj selection is imo incorrect in Allen didn't win all Ireland with limerick and lost one with cork over it
    Brian Cody ruthlessly changed he's team last year
    That's why their all Ireland champions.
    You must be ruthless to be successful manager and tj has not that quality and I'm rarely wrong judging managers and yes I may be one day very likely but I doubt it will be regards tj
    Point is no tactical selector added this year shows imo tj thinks their set up is fine
    They have good qualities absolutely but there lacking tactical astute game management and this year it will be shown imo.

Thinkstoomuch i think you're wrong on Allen. He transformed the limerick team and his selection of hickey at wing forward was practically outrageous, and hugely successful. His defining moments with cork included taking off their perceived best players in pivotal matches without pause. Finally, he didn't struggle to get a top job after limerick, he made it clear he didn't want one and I find your comments disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cu Baire

For some reason this comes to mind.
    "I'm not saying I am never wrong.
    I was wrong once:
    It was when I thought I was wrong about something but it turned out I was right after all"

I don't think I'd agree that Adrian Breen is a better hurler than Seanie Tobin. Breen is quicker and more direct, but at club level, Tobin is dominant. He is Murroe/Boher's best player by a long way, a lot more consistent that Hickey, for example. He isn't a ball-winner but he is capable of beating a man in the air if he has to and he has a knack for being in the right place at the right time to get scores. I also think his vision, creativity and ability to pick out a man in space are all much higher... overall, I think he is just a better hurler. He is a bit small, that's true, and he doesn't have the same class as Mulcahy but he's still a valuable asset. He was the one forward sub I was happy to have.

As for David Breen... he's probably not a forward. But as long as we lack ball-winners in our half-forward line, he will stay there, even if he is probably better in the half-back line. Tbh he's not that great at winning clean ball, but he is good at breaking it down and the likes of Hannon can feed off him. Also his powerful running is a huge asset, he set up goals against Wexford and scored one, and set up our best chance against KK. Bar Downes we don't really have any other forward who can carry the ball with such purpose through defenders, and Downes wasn't in great form last year. I think when we bring through a few of the younger forwards we now have- Lynch, Nash, O'Brien, ALTC, Morrissey, maybe Dempsey.... then Breen will be used as a back. But right now, we're working with limited resources. Unless TJ wants to put Gavin up front and move Breen back, but he's also a different type of hurler, more of a playmaker than a direct runner. With O'Grady a year older, I think Breen will hold his place for now.

As for the tactical side of things, I don't think TJ's tactics are the most in-depth in the world. As in, I'm sure he puts in a lot of work and the players know exactly what they are doing but his gameplan seems to revolve around trying to increase productivity from his most forwards. It's a pretty simple gameplan... obviously a lot of work goes into making it work. As for changing things up or adapting it in-game... that is a possible weakness. I don't think it was why we lost to Kilkenny though. Maybe he could have done something to change our attack patterns at the end, but I would point to 2 defensive errors that led to 2 goals as the real reason we lost. I would have dropped Gavin & Paudie last year myself, and maybe he is overly loyal. But he's earned the right to have a full year in charge and he has to learn. Competition for places needs to be upped, if we're setting KK as the benchmark.

Thinkstoomuch i think you're wrong on Allen. He transformed the limerick team and his selection of hickey at wing forward was practically outrageous, and hugely successful. His defining moments with cork included taking off their perceived best players in pivotal matches without pause. Finally, he didn't struggle to get a top job after limerick, he made it clear he didn't want one and I find your comments disrespectful.

Look ask most cork people Allen terrific communicator and great part set up tactically he was poor.
    There no point going over this debate
    We have been here before
    But you can argue all you want and try gloss over it fact I's not opinion but fact clare destroyed limerick and game was over st half time

You say top jobs
    Who offered him jobs.
    Yes he said you say didn't want one but sure he's in carlow now

Look it's common knowledge imo dublin did not go for him as they wanted cunningham and wanted him even as early as last year and cunningham declined Kilmallock job as dublin knew daly wouldn't stay next year so they had cunningham lined up as a candidate

I know some clubs in cork wouldn't have Allen as main manager, some would yes
    This is not being disrespectful
    This is simply saying Allen is brilliant masseuses and part team but imo poor poor tactical manager
    You can critise a manager purely in position he's in not wrong to do

Go up to kilkenny, okay and ask mullinvat about their set up two years ago
    They had a poor set up, and at agm said was inconsistent at training
    They even said in kilkenny people
    Now that's was not been disrespectful just kilkenny want to win and don't believe in dare not critise when things clearly wrong

No body got upset zthey got in declan wall and in two years with very very young team lost county under twenty won league and county and ist ever intermediate leinster title and could win all irelands

Same young coach is with kilkenny development squads as speed coach and coached exceptional good counsel all irelands title under sixteen last week

You see they didn't just say we're okay don't critise
    Even at club level kilkenny wanted more
    And look at results in twenty nine games in league and championship and challenges win around twenty four give our take
    Now they were ruthless enough to call spade a spade
    I think I make my point clearly
    Changing this and that is irrelevant bottom line is no all irelands won with limerick with Allen so imo like many who crave winning and not moral victory second best that's imo failure
    I'm not necessarily being harsh I'm being honest
    He didn't win an All-Ireland
    I'm not going down this debate again as we been over it
    I mentioned it now as another poster ist referenced it
    Bottom line is Allen two years were just good, he didn't win the all Ireland
    It wouldn't be glorified in kilkenny

• Advertisement

Look ask most cork people Allen terrific communicator and great part set up tactically he was poor.
    There no point going over this debate
    We have been here before
    But you can argue all you want and try gloss over it fact I's not opinion but fact clare destroyed limerick and game was over st half time

You say top jobs
    Who offered him jobs.
    Yes he said you say didn't want one but sure he's in carlow now

Look it's common knowledge imo dublin did not go for him as they wanted cunningham and wanted him even as early as last year and cunningham declined Kilmallock job as dublin knew daly wouldn't stay next year so they had cunningham lined up as a candidate

I know some clubs in cork wouldn't have Allen as main manager, some would yes
    This is not being disrespectful
    This is simply saying Allen is brilliant masseuses and part team but imo poor poor tactical manager
    You can critise a manager purely in position he's in not wrong to do

Go up to kilkenny, okay and ask mullinvat about their set up two years ago
    They had a poor set up, and at agm said was inconsistent at training
    They even said in kilkenny people
    Now that's was not been disrespectful just kilkenny want to win and don't believe in dare not critise when things clearly wrong

No body got upset zthey got in declan wall and in two years with very very young team lost county under twenty won league and county and ist ever intermediate leinster title and could win all irelands

Same young coach is with kilkenny development squads as speed coach and coached exceptional good counsel all irelands title under sixteen last week

You see they didn't just say we're okay don't critise
    Even at club level kilkenny wanted more
    And look at results in twenty nine games in league and championship and challenges win around twenty four give our take
    Now they were ruthless enough to call spade a spade
    I think I make my point clearly
    Changing this and that is irrelevant bottom line is no all irelands won with limerick with Allen so imo like many who crave winning and not moral victory second best that's imo failure
    I'm not necessarily being harsh I'm being honest
    He didn't win an All-Ireland
    I'm not going down this debate again as we been over it
    I mentioned it now as another poster ist referenced it
    Bottom line is Allen two years were just good, he didn't win the all Ireland
    It wouldn't be glorified in kilkenny

And JBM didn't win one in Cork since he came back either. And limerick will win one before Cork do. And your post above is mostly nonsense. And you were wrong on Donal O'Grady to boot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement