Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

They have a panel of about 32 players this year and 15 of those are underage again next year. Apparently next years team wont be that great but the team for the following year is supposed to be another cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

Who is underage out of the team? I would guess from the starting team the last day you'd have O'Loughlin, Byrnes, Hanley, Flanagan, Fitz?

The U16 team this year is meant to be pretty handy alright but I wouldn't say they will be at the level of this Minor team, time will tell.

What's the story with tickets btw for next Sunday, did Limerick get an allocation of 3 to 4,000?

Heard TJ has plans to bring a number of minors from the last two yearsinto his set up for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Are my eyes decieving me or did knockainey actually beat ahane last night? If so thats an incredible result for them.

Cant see why the final round of games are fixed for the weekend of the all ireland when some players had to turn out 5 days after losing an AI semifinal. Whats wrong with this weekend/next weekend? Indeed the dromin athlacca v blackrock game is down for half 3 all ireland day. Someone please tell me i have this all wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Indeed the dromin athlacca v blackrock game is down for half 3 all ireland day.

half 3 on Saturday the 13th from what I can see.

Thanks, presume football is on this week, they could still play hurling next week when there's still time in the evening to play games. Bit annoying. Will have to send a representative along to that athlacca v blackrock game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

The All-Ireland is next weekend and the final round of games are the weekend after that.

The All-Ireland is next weekend and the final round of games are the weekend after that.

Well thats me looking like a total plank then.

Are my eyes decieving me or did knockainey actually beat ahane last night? If so thats an incredible result for them.

Cant see why the final round of games are fixed for the weekend of the all ireland when some players had to turn out 5 days after losing an AI semifinal. Whats wrong with this weekend/next weekend? Indeed the dromin athlacca v blackrock game is down for half 3 all ireland day. Someone please tell me i have this all wrong.

Think Pat Kirby was back and Tom Morrissey wasn't playing for Ahane. Further to that the result didn't matter as Ahane were through while the All Blacks were relegated.

Wonder did the Ahane lads back themselves to lose:D

francozola wrote: »
    Think Pat Kirby was back and Tom Morrissey wasn't playing for Ahane. Further to that the result didn't matter as Ahane were through while the All Blacks were relegated.

Right, im going back to bed will try and start again tommorrow, all over the shop.

The man himself Mr Declan Copues and Shadow Meabh with Limerick Minor Hurlers ahead of next weeks All Ireland Final
    10357446_738024536233242_4426551311824902642_n.jpg

Must say they are very old to be minors:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

Well John could maybe pass for a minor but Paul...haha I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

10357446_738024536233242_4426551311824902642_n.jpg

Must say they are very old to be minors:pac:

Who's the guy 2nd from the left? J.F on his jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

Colemania wrote: »
    Who's the guy 2nd from the left? J.F on his jumper

John Fitzgibbon, Adare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

That's a bit typical of both Ahane and Knockainey in the last 5/6 years. Ahane good in flashes but a few players short of being able to deliver consistently while Knockainey always seem to have an upset in them. Also, the difference Pat Kirby makes to them could not possibly be understated.

Losing that game might hurt Ahane yet; they need Patrickswell to draw or lose against Adare otherwise they finish third which (almost certainly) means playing Kilmallock in the quarter final.

Second place means most likely playing one of G-Ballingarry/Effin/S.Liberties/Ballybrown.

Think you're wrong Zombie. Ahane have beaten Murroe, Adare and the Well this year.
    Since Adare/The Well are meeting in the last round, the most one can finish on is 6 points - level with Ahane but as it's head to head Ahane will finish second.

It's a straight knock out between Adare and the Well for 3rd spot.

That's a bit typical of both Ahane and Knockainey in the last 5/6 years. Ahane good in flashes but a few players short of being able to deliver consistently while Knockainey always seem to have an upset in them. Also, the difference Pat Kirby makes to them could not possibly be understated.

Losing that game might hurt Ahane yet; they need Patrickswell to draw or lose against Adare otherwise they finish third which (almost certainly) means playing Kilmallock in the quarter final.

Second place means most likely playing one of G-Ballingarry/Effin/S.Liberties/Ballybrown.

I thought Ahane were guaranteed second?

I thought Ahane were guaranteed second?

Just checked there, you're right actually! They beat both Patrickswell and Adare in their group games. (I mistakenly thought the 'Well beat them)

So the game was literally meaningless!

Just checked there, you're right actually! They beat both Patrickswell and Adare in their group games. (I mistakenly thought the 'Well beat them)

So the game was literally meaningless!

Ya i was at that match. Drawing with a minute to go and Tom Morrisey gets the ball in his own half, soloed past a tiring Patrickswell team, and stuck it over the bar to win it. Sickened I was :(

Ya i was at that match. Drawing with a minute to go and Tom Morrisey gets the ball in his own half, soloed past a tiring Patrickswell team, and stuck it over the bar to win it. Sickened I was :(
    Swap the word "Patrickswell" with the word "Adare" and I can almost say exactly the same thing!:D

I'm not looking forward to the Patrickswell game, could be a cracker though. If both teams play like they did the last day then it could be a very bad night for Adare. Need to seriously raise their game, was a bit of a tactical horror show as well. I'd never go into specifics online when it comes to criticisms of my own club but that last game was as bad as I've seen from Adare in the last 15 years.

I enjoyed watching Patrickswell that night, nice hurling team with plenty of bottle. Just short a couple of standout inter-county standard players though when it comes to competing with NaPiarsaigh and Kilmallock.

Swap the word "Patrickswell" with the word "Adare" and I can almost say exactly the same thing!:D

I'm not looking forward to the Patrickswell game, could be a cracker though. If both teams play like they did the last day then it could be a very bad night for Adare. Need to seriously raise their game, was a bit of a tactical horror show as well. I'd never go into specifics online when it comes to criticisms of my own club but that last game was as bad as I've seen from Adare in the last 15 years.

I enjoyed watching Patrickswell that night, nice hurling team with plenty of bottle. Just short a couple of standout inter-county standard players though when it comes to competing with NaPiarsaigh and Kilmallock.

Ah there's just no leaders in that Well team at the moment. Extremely promising young team alright but Na Piarsigh aren't exactly pushing on either. To watch Cian Lynch up close is great viewing. I was at his senior debut against Na Piarsigh last year and they couldn't handle him. They held him back so long that you knew his debut would come when badly needed.

Long gone are the Patrickswell-Adare county finals. Great rivalry that drew massive crowds. Very disappointed at the turnout in county championship games for the last few years. Don't know where the interest is gone as Limerick are well supported in the hurling.

• Advertisement

Its disappointing alright the kilmallock v well games of the mid 90's would draw serious crowds, some serious hurling those times. Clarke and houlihan v carey carmody and kirby quality stuff.

Limerick GAA just tweeted a few results, pretty good overall but check out those first and last results!!

U14A; KLK 2-15, LIM 0-1.....
    U14B; LIM 3-7, CLA 3-6
    U15A; LIM 0-8, TIP 0-7
    U15B; LIM 2-12, WAT 1-11
    U16A; LIM 2-9, GAL 2-8
    U17A; LIM 7-17, CLA 0-10

I was wondering was that a misprint on the Mount Sion website. Seems like a very good Kilkenny team though. Put up big scores in every match.

Great results though. I presume the U17s don't have any minors involved? Great to see a succession of talent coming through though.

Wouldn't take heed of the U14s result really, a lot can change in 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Limerick 1-10 Kilkenny 1-08 under 17. There were no minors from either team playing as far as I know.

Kilkenny won the under 14 today, also won under 15 tournament, were beaten in extra time in the under 16 final. I expect them to beat Limerick in the minor final despite what the bookies and pundits say. No disrespect to Limerick who I know are a very good team but so too is this Kilkenny team.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Limerick 1-10 Kilkenny 1-08 under 17. There were no minors from either team playing as far as I know.

Kilkenny won the under 14 today, also won under 15 tournament, were beaten in extra time in the under 16 final. I expect them to beat Limerick in the minor final despite what the bookies and pundits say. No disrespect to Limerick who I know are a very good team but so too is this Kilkenny team.
    Limerick results in the underage inter county tournaments, couldn't read too much into the results considering they're a 1 day blitz competition, think Kilkenny hammered everyone in the 14A comp so hopefully they take a lesson from it, anyone know who is over the underage teams? A few years ago they had recently retired county stars involved, is that still the case?

Tony Forristal U14’A Hurling
    Kilkenny (Forristal winners) 2-15, Limerick 0-01
    Limerick 1-09 Wexford 0-09

Sonny Walsh U’14B Hurling
    Limerick 3-07 Clare 3-06
    Galway 4-08 Limerick 1-10

U15’A Hurling Carrigdhoun Tournament
    Limerick 0-08 Tipperary 0-07
    Limerick 2-15 Waterford 0-02
    Final: Cork 2-09 Limerick 1-11

U15’B Clarecastle
    Limerick 2-12 Waterford 1-11
    Tipperary 0-09 (winners) Limerick 0-01
    Shield Final: Kerry 1-12 Limerick 2-06

Tipperary Supporters U16’A Hurling
    Limerick 2-09 Galway 2-08
    Waterford 2-09 Limerick 0-08

Tipperary Supporters U16 ‘B
    Antrim 2-10 Limerick 0-10
    Kilkenny 2-08 Limerick 1-10

Eugene Carey U17 Tournament
    Limerick 7-17 Clare 0-10
    Limerick 1-10 Kilkenny 1-08
    Semi-Final Cork 0-11 Limerick 1-06.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Minor team named:

1. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Paddy O'Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen)
    5. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    6. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    7. Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher)
    8. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    9. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh)
    10. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. Cian Lynch (Captain) (Patrickswell)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Ronan Lynch (Vice Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)

Bench:
    16. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown)
    17. Edward Doyle (Monaleen)
    18. Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun)
    19. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    20. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen)
    21. Barry Murphy (Doon)
    22. Brian Ryan (South Liberties)
    23. Conor Mc Sweeney (South Liberties)
    24. Dylan Dawson (Blackrock)

Strong team for sure. Hard to know how exactly they'll line out... Ronan Lynch might go out as a 3rd midfielder, he was excellent breaking onto ball around the midfield/half-forward line the last day. But obviously Conor Fitzgerald is out of the team and there's no real natural corner-forward among the rest... but they moved around the last day, I expect them to do the same.

Lorcan Lyons stays inside in the corner... all good players in that full-back line, but as a unit they have been exposed in the past.

And Dylan Dawson on the bench. Hard to ignore him after his scoring exploits for Blackrock the last day... although he had been ignored all year despite being in great form.

It's a strong team. Hopefully strong enough to win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

http://www.clarechampion.ie/changes-imminent-to-fitzys-backroom/

So the Clare champions are saying there are rumours that Paul Kinnerk is leaving the Clare backroom team.

I know it mightn't be as simple as just get him on board with Limerick, obviously it would have to be ratified by the county board and by TJ, and I'm sure there are some people who would probably feel sore that he can just walk in and get a job. But the fact is that he has pedigree... everyone who has ever worked with him speaks very highly of him... some people credit it him with a lot of the success that Clare have had with their current young players.

I think it would be a mistake not to at least offer him a job, and if we can get him involved with our U-21s/younger age groups, even better. Imagine letting him work with the minor teams of the last 2 years as they move forward into U-21s?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭letowski

Fireball07 wrote: »
    http://www.clarechampion.ie/changes-imminent-to-fitzys-backroom/

So the Clare champions are saying there are rumours that Paul Kinnerk is leaving the Clare backroom team.

I know it mightn't be as simple as just get him on board with Limerick, obviously it would have to be ratified by the county board and by TJ, and I'm sure there are some people who would probably feel sore that he can just walk in and get a job. But the fact is that he has pedigree... everyone who has ever worked with him speaks very highly of him... some people credit it him with a lot of the success that Clare have had with their current young players.

I think it would be a mistake not to at least offer him a job, and if we can get him involved with our U-21s/younger age groups, even better. Imagine letting him work with the minor teams of the last 2 years as they move forward into U-21s?

I know they're only rumours, but I'd say it more of an uncertainty as Paul is engaged and is probably taking time to re-access his short term future. I have to admit though, the timing of his holiday during the the Cork Munster SF doesn't fill me with alot of confidence that he will be back, and it was always a worry once the 'golden generation' graduated from U21 whether he will stay on. I think he probably will stay, though and is held in huge regard in Clare.

I don't believe one bit what some people say that he couldn't achieve what he did with Clare for another team. He is a genius in my view and is outstanding at developing players's skills for the type of hurling a manager wants to play successfully. He would be a huge acquisition for Limerick or any county.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Iecrawfc

letowski wrote: »
    I know they're only rumours, but I'd say it more of an uncertainty as Paul is engaged and is probably taking time to re-access his short term future. I have to admit though, the timing of his holiday during the the Cork Munster SF doesn't fill me with alot of confidence that he will be back, and it was always a worry once the 'golden generation' graduated from U21 whether he will stay on. I think he probably will stay, though and is held in huge regard in Clare.

I don't believe one bit what some people say that he couldn't achieve what he did with Clare for another team. He is a genius in my view and is outstanding at developing players's skills for the type of hurling a manager wants to play successfully. He would be a huge acquisition for Limerick or any county.

Surely there's a place for him in the u21 and intermediate setup, would be perfect in developing the minors coming from the teams in the last few years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Senior Football group stages now complete.
    D/Broadford and Fr.Caseys top their respective groups and qualify for semi finals.
    Caseys and St.Kierans drew tonight as did NCW and Ballysteen. This means that Ballysteen lose out.
    Last night St.Pats beat Ballylanders with D/B beating Pallasgreen.

Looks like quarter finals will be Pats V Kierans, NCW V Ballylanders. (but I'm not 100% certain of this yet)
    And I would imagine teams that have already met will be kept apart in the semis, where possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement