Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

COME ON LIMERICK!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭francozola

A quiet few days here since the Final, I'll leave my thoughts below.
    Despite not being allowed play well by a cuter Kilkenny team, we still managed 19 points which is the highest score put up by a losing team since Galway scored 2-15 in 2003. KK drew in 04 scoring 1-18.
    The losing margin is also the tightest losing margin since 2010 when Kilkenny beat Clare by 2 points.

Credit is to Kilkenny, not the most skillful bunch of hurlers but very dogged and determined. They done what was needed to win and got the goals. When it became a match between their full forward line and our full back line there was always going to be one winner.

Hindsight is a great thing but I felt management messed up with the positional changes made before throw in. The team had no chemistry, struggled to get to grips with the task. And their subs didn't work but these things happen. It was a tough day for young fellas to come in chasing a game.

Anyway, it may serve us better as I said Clare lost in 2010 and three years later they won the AI. As I said leaving on Sunday, players may become more focused and motivated by the result. Players haven't won the big one yet and here's hoping to a more productive 2015. Plenty to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Hmm, said all year it was the main one to win. They are the best team in the country but were comprehensively beaten on the day, after 5 mins it was clear that they werent goingto win. The hunger and fight wasnt there to win 50/50's. On about the 12/13 min mark there was a breaking ball about 30 yards from goal where limerick3 players lost out to KK's 2 after having about 3 chances to win the ball, lool back on it if ye want but it was over then.

Nash was very good, fought for everything won the high ball that was our only real trouble to kk. Flanagan done good also. Cosgrave was good for the backs. Cian lynch was good but was playing too deep and KK must have been relieved to see him that far from goal.

You have to blame management for the loss in the end. The changes did not work, Lynch being left inside didnt work, im not his biggest fan but give him a chance at least, we were incoherent and i think most players were hoping that some how cian lynch would bail them out for the win. KK were a more balanced team.

So as usual it seems there was a blow up in training on the wednesday, how typical is that. The changes were the cause of the problem, dispute between some players and management. All rumours but it was evidence in the performance imo, there was no togetherness. Typical, All Ireland fcuked away, you'd think we had hundreds of them the way some people behave.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

One player walked out of training. Had a run in with one of the selectors. No wonder the young lads kicked up a fuss. New fellas coming in for the biggest game of their year. I'm not saying for one moment the players should pick the team but in this instance what was happening IMO was ludicrous.

• Advertisement

I agree with you that players shouldnt pick the team but in this instance it seems the players were right imo and they were left down by management, All Ireland pished away. The dropping of Joe quaid for these guys was hardly vindicated on sunday was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭shockframe

I agree with you that players shouldnt pick the team but in this instance it seems the players were right imo and they were left down by management, All Ireland pished away. The dropping of Joe quaid for these guys was hardly vindicated on sunday was it.

It was never vindicated to begin with. Brian Ryan dug his heels in with the Justin management in late 2009 to mid 2010 which did untold damage to the game in Limerick. He then gets the plum role of the most promising group of underage players possibly ever in Limerick without almost any background.The nepotism makes it look a whole lot worse aswell.

I felt as far back as the appointment in 2012 that it would come back to haunt us and so it proved. Quaid, Ray Ryan and Don Flynn did most of the work up from under 14 to 16 so to be discarded like that was a disgrace.They may have ended up with the same result as last Sunday but they did earn a chance to take the team forward.

Last Sunday we got a perfectly good example as to why we dont finish off the job in all ireland finals.Limerick hurling needed that 2012 under 16 management team to be given a chance to show that the decent underage work undertaken by decent personnel should have been rewarded and to give itself the possible chance to progress in the future.Instead it was a closed shop-the excuse being that underage success shouldnt entitle you to move up.I wonder if the same will apply for the 2016/2017 under campaigns.I very much doubt it.

The irony is as it stands now Joe Quaid is in all ireland final next sunday up in Croke Park with a team that could go all the way.

The players didnt get everything right on the day but for a 3 year spell that includes an under 16 all ireland title it was tremendous for them to make a good fist of minor.They made mistakes last Sunday but did give us some outstanding days as a limerick fan-the 2013 minor final replay against Waterford in particular.Just a pity for them that sunday was such an off day for them.

Limerick is in a very good position for the years ahead but it has got to get these managerial positions much better than they have so far. A setup like Mickey Harte in Tyrone in the late 1990s or the Moloney/O'Connor setup that clare currently have are the way to go.If any hint of politics gets in the way we will always suffer or be up against it.

So as usual it seems there was a blow up in training on the wednesday, how typical is that. The changes were the cause of the problem, dispute between some players and management. All rumours but it was evidence in the performance imo, there was no togetherness. Typical, All Ireland fcuked away, you'd think we had hundreds of them the way some people behave.

Could you elaborate on this? Players involved and the reasons?

francozola wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on this? Players involved and the reasons?

The reasons appear to be that some players thought the changes for the final were bad calls and the team should have been left as per semi final, id say the constant dropping of fellas off the panel and then sometimes bringing them back in was also a cause of consternation. I cant put names up on a forum based on hearsay.

shockframe wrote: »
    It was never vindicated to begin with. Brian Ryan dug his heels in with the Justin management in late 2009 to mid 2010 which did untold damage to the game in Limerick. He then gets the plum role of the most promising group of underage players possibly ever in Limerick without almost any background.The nepotism makes it look a whole lot worse aswell.

I felt as far back as the appointment in 2012 that it would come back to haunt us and so it proved. Quaid, Ray Ryan and Don Flynn did most of the work up from under 14 to 16 so to be discarded like that was a disgrace.They may have ended up with the same result as last Sunday but they did earn a chance to take the team forward.

Last Sunday we got a perfectly good example as to why we dont finish off the job in all ireland finals.Limerick hurling needed that 2012 under 16 management team to be given a chance to show that the decent underage work undertaken by decent personnel should have been rewarded and to give itself the possible chance to progress in the future.Instead it was a closed shop-the excuse being that underage success shouldnt entitle you to move up.I wonder if the same will apply for the 2016/2017 under campaigns.I very much doubt it.

The irony is as it stands now Joe Quaid is in all ireland final next sunday up in Croke Park with a team that could go all the way.

The players didnt get everything right on the day but for a 3 year spell that includes an under 16 all ireland title it was tremendous for them to make a good fist of minor.They made mistakes last Sunday but did give us some outstanding days as a limerick fan-the 2013 minor final replay against Waterford in particular.Just a pity for them that sunday was such an off day for them.

Limerick is in a very good position for the years ahead but it has got to get these managerial positions much better than they have so far. A setup like Mickey Harte in Tyrone in the late 1990s or the Moloney/O'Connor setup that clare currently have are the way to go.If any hint of politics gets in the way we will always suffer or be up against it.

Agree with all that, except the last line, if politics gets involved in fairness it seems like a certainty when it comes to limerick.

• Advertisement

The reasons appear to be that some players thought the changes for the final were bad calls and the team should have been left as per semi final, id say the constant dropping of fellas off the panel and then sometimes bringing them back in was also a cause of consternation. I cant put names up on a forum based on hearsay.

No bother, I thought that was the reason alright. The team never was settled all year and certainly wasn't helped with the constant chopping and changing.
    I was very surprised when they did make changes to the semi final team and then even more positional changes at throw in on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

I can't imagine the changes helped that much, but I think this team was slightly over-hyped. Some very talented players there without a shadow of doubt, but the team always looked to have a few vulnerabilities, I was never fully convinced by the half back line.

You can't really judge based on the underage blitzes, they'll give you an indicator on the potential of the players but those tournaments are in no way an indicator as to future performance. Limerick were the best over those two days in 2012 but the minor championship doesn't take place in one weekend!

I do think people are justified in being unhappy with the minor management, but there was too much made of this team, and with minors you just never know, they're not the most straightforward to deal with, very easily frustrated, I can see how the chopping and changing unsettled them. No matter how talented they are they're not yet mature enough to deal with certain things in a way a senior player would be expected to.

What I want to see now is improvements at under 21 level in the next two years, we have a good crop of 19 and 20 year old's next year, and the under 21 performances since 2011 have been unacceptable. We need to win at least a Munster at that grade in the next two years.

ZH, nice points made.

I was a little bit angry with the management on Sunday but for the most part they have done well to get 2 Munster Final wins and I don't think anyone really had a bad word to say about them before Sunday.
    The typical Limerick reaction is to look at the small picture instead of the big. Sunday was a bad day at the office. Over the last two years, I'm sure 6 - 8 of those players will go onto form part of a Senior set up.
    But of course in Limerick we always jump the gun and say Quaid would have been better in charge. But can we not be a bit happy that more has been achieved at this level in the last two years than the previous 28 beforehand by this management.
    For example in the Munster Replay, they sorted out a serious problem in the half back line by switching Colin Ryan back there. They got the majority of decisions right over their term to be honest.

Id say an inferior team made it to the 05' all ireland and put up a hell of a performance against a joe canning inspired galwey team.

There are people out there who were critical of management prior to sunday.

Why wasnt ryan left at half back when as you say he won us the munster final v waterford. Why was lynch left in the corner all day. Would conor fitz have buried that chance if he had started instead of being dropped and then brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Quick question, was the All Ireland final the first match young Grimes played all year?? I'm not picking on him or anything, just curious to know the answer. I can't recall seeing him. Thanks.

Started against Cork and came off the bench against Tipp and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Id say an inferior team made it to the 05' all ireland and put up a hell of a performance against a joe canning inspired galwey team.

There are people out there who were critical of management prior to sunday.

Why wasnt ryan left at half back when as you say he won us the munster final v waterford. Why was lynch left in the corner all day. Would conor fitz have buried that chance if he had started instead of being dropped and then brought in.
    Correct. A good manager gets the best out of a team, you couldn't possibly say Ryan got the best performance out of that team. The changes were ridiculous and idiotic.

I would add though that Ryan being useless doesn't make Quaid the messiah. Both were blessed with a super group of players. Quaid is well set with a good group of players for the camogie team too, re his management capability, I'd read more in their not winning last year than winning this year (if they do, which they should).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Correct. A good manager gets the best out of a team, you couldn't possibly say Ryan got the best performance out of that team. The changes were ridiculous and idiotic.

I would add though that Ryan being useless doesn't make Quaid the messiah. Both were blessed with a super group of players. Quaid is well set with a good group of players for the camogie team too, re his management capability, I'd read more in their not winning last year than winning this year (if they do, which they should).

Quaid did win an U-16 blitz/all Ireland or whatever with that group and should have been given the chance to take them on to minor. Think he had them since U14 actually.
    Regarding the camogie, hope people remember where exactly we were before he came on board.!! we were nowhere, could hardly win a game at any level.
    Last years group were very young and naïve but still nearly won it.
    Feel they can do it this time and best of luck to Quaid and backroom team.

Last round of SHC begins tonight with the dead rubber between Murroe and Doon.
    Plenty on stake in the other games, The Well and Adare is the big one, with the winner advancing to the knockout stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

washman3 wrote: »
    Quaid did win an U-16 blitz/all Ireland or whatever with that group and should have been given the chance to take them on to minor. Think he had them since U14 actually.
    Regarding the camogie, hope people remember where exactly we were before he came on board.!! we were nowhere, could hardly win a game at any level.
    Last years group were very young and naïve but still nearly won it.
    Feel they can do it this time and best of luck to Quaid and backroom team.
    Agree he should have been left with that group of minors. In fairness to Quaid he's a big improvement on the camogie manager before him, little wonder they couldn't win a game. Last years team had a good mix of ages. This years is probably a younger group, although most have the experience of last years final. Good luck to them anyway!

• Advertisement

At the Adare v P'well game now, about 200 people in attendance. Pretty shocking!

Adare 2-20 Patrickswell 3-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

Adare 2-20 Patrickswell 3-11.

3 very soft goals conceded by Adare.

At the Adare v P'well game now, about 200 people in attendance. Pretty shocking!

Even more shocking that it was fixed for 4pm in the G/Grounds.
    What did they expect.?
    Surely a 6pm throw in would have made more sense.

RB94 wrote: »
    3 very soft goals conceded by Adare.

Yep. First one was a bit of a howler by Timmy Houlihan, he's a great keeper but it wouldn't be the first time he's ever been caught out playing into bright sunshine, he did make a few smart saves to make up for it. Adare look very vulnerable when the full back line gets dragged up the pitch a bit, Lucas O'Brien put in a good performance, there is still quite a bit of experience in that team but it seems like a long time ago since they were winning county titles. To win this one their most likely opposition would be Kilmallock followed by Na Piarsaigh followed by Doon. Can't see that happening.

Going to be one of Kilmallock, Na Piarsaigh and Doon, I suspect we'll have the latter two in the final.

Granagh-Ballingarry were relegated tonight :(

How did Hannon go tonight.?
    Did Cian Lynch play for P/well.?

washman3 wrote: »
    Even more shocking that it was fixed for 4pm in the G/Grounds.
    What did they expect.?
    Surely a 6pm throw in would have made more sense.

It was originally set for 8:15 but for whatever reason it was switched to before the Na Piarsaigh v Ballybrown game. I've heard it was switched so as to save money on running the generators for the floodlights.

I remember going to Adare v Patrickswell games as a young fella through the 90's, massive crowds every time, sad to see so few today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Well done to the girls intermediates. Great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Well done to the camogie team! Well-deserving winners on the day, great to have a Limerick team win in Croke Park!

• Advertisement

Well done to them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement