Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Limerick CLG is delighted to announce that TJ Ryan will continue in his role as Limerick Senior Hurling Manager for a further 3 year term.
    If this group of players are to have a realistic chance of success in the All-Ireland series, a stable relationship with a manager they like and trust is going to be crucial. Well done County Board.

Best of luck TJ. Your county is standing right beside you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

francozola wrote: »
    First time posting on this thread since before Sunday.
    Whilst the result was not what was wanted I'm glad the team performed in Croke Park. No point in crying over spilt milk so I'll make my points looking forward to 2015.
    TJ & DOG was not my first choice for the management, I thought it was a disaster, especially with the short ball game and the U21 disaster of 2013. However, TJ has gone up in my estimation a 100 times since he took temporary control and now permanent control. I'm glad the board acted quickly. It took over 10 weeks to get management in place for this year.
    As pointed out they were slow on the line and I feel if someone from the minor set up preferably Steve McDonagh could make the step up to the team. I feel the minor management are brilliant at making moves on the sideline and spotting small things.

As for players next year, I feel we need competition for corner, centre & half back along with another few forwards.
    There's enough left in the club championship for players to state their case. As for minors coming through, I would say Richie English, Darragh O'Donovan ALaTC, Barry Nash and the two Lynches should all be looked at and given game time in the League. I know Ronan will be doing the LC but Hannon did play some league before missing the Waterford match in 2011.

The basis for a strong team and we won't go away soon we the back bone we have. We need depth to be looked at. I wouldn't mind seeing if Nickie Quaid can play outfield at half back, it would be another option to have.

O grady was an accident waiting to happen, I was delighted when he left.

They'll get their chance on Sunday, let's hope they are up to it.

I underestimated Limerick, we are about as good as any team I've seen this year, KK got away with it the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Rightwing wrote: »
    O grady was an accident waiting to happen, I was delighted when he left.

They'll get their chance on Sunday, let's hope they are up to it.

I underestimated Limerick, we are about as good as any team I've seen this year, KK got away with it the last day.

That part of your statement would take some justifying considering that even the majority of Limerick posters agree they should have had a man sent off not once but twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

That part of your statement would take some justifying considering that even the majority of Limerick posters agree they should have had a man sent off not once but twice.

Agree. But JJ should have gone as well.

Unfortunately that's where the game was lost. Didn't matter whether he stayed on or not, the minute that goal went it, KK had it. Funnily enough, I was looking at the betting in running and LK had gone in to 4/6 favs until O Gradys bad foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

While conveniently ignoringing Kk should have had a man gone also..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

bennyl10 wrote: »
    While conveniently ignoringing Kk should have had a man gone also..

Condon should have gone before him. Richie Mc should've seen a card for swinging out of Mick when he was bearing down on goal. LK are on shaky ground if you want start dishing out retrospective cards.

citykat wrote: »
    Condon should have gone before him. Richie Mc should've seen a card for swinging out of Mick when he was bearing down on goal. LK are on shaky ground if you want start dishing out retrospective cards.

Overall I felt the ref had a v good game. In those conditions there was going to be an element of mistiming etc. Visibility for the players must have been awful

The 1 big mistake he made was not sending off DOG with a few minutes to go. Had no bearing on the game 1 way or another though.

Overall I felt the ref had a v good game. In those conditions there was going to be an element of mistiming etc. Visibility for the players must have been awful

+1. Ball must've been like a greased pig. Doesn't help lads trying to time tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

If you want to get really petty then TJ Reid was lucky to stay on the field also....All this talk of cards etc is complete bullsh*t...The game is over, KK won and Limerick lost. Whether we were unlucky to lose you could say if a bounce of the ball had gone our way we might have got a goal but you could say the same about KK. Likewise with the cards, couple from either side could have seen the line. I thought it was great that the ref left things go for the most part, the only one he messed up on was DOG and the game was gone at that stage from us so it wouldn't have mattered if he did get the line.

• Advertisement

mickaleen wrote: »
    If you want to get really petty then TJ Reid was lucky to stay on the field also....All this talk of cards etc is complete bullsh*t...The game is over, KK won and Limerick lost. Whether we were unlucky to lose you could say if a bounce of the ball had gone our way we might have got a goal but you could say the same about KK. Likewise with the cards, couple from either side could have seen the line. I thought it was great that the ref left things go for the most part, the only one he messed up on was DOG and the game was gone at that stage from us so it wouldn't have mattered if he did get the line.

Can't recall TJs crime but agree with the rest of your post.

mickaleen wrote: »

I agree. I think we were unlucky to lose, but if KK lost, well I could say they were sort of unlucky too. Just one of those games I felt they got the break and we didn't. I won't be begrudging them in the final, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Delaney should have walked for grabbing a player's facemask (Dowling iirc) but lets ignore that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Can't recall TJs crime but agree with the rest of your post.

I presume when TJ Reid struck R Mc across the side of the face with the hurley just before half time.

I was hoping waterford would beat KK in the minors, I don't know how they took into the extra time.

I was afraid the seniors would lose last week, but very confident the minors will win, and beat the 2 point handicap. Has to be bet of the weekend.

I presume when TJ Reid struck R Mc across the side of the face with the hurley just before half time.

Slight bit of hyperbole there. If that's a yellow hurling will have to be declared a non contact sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Strong minor team named. Can't post now. Good luck to the lads on Sunday.

By all reports Limerick have an outstanding minor team. How many of them played in the colleges semi finals this year against St Kieran's and Kilkenny CBS. Galway at this stage are an unknown quantity as usual but they will be good still Limerick should win anything else would be a surprise. I hope Limerick win, it would make for a cracking final. Despite our minors losing to Dublin they are a very good side and should have had Waterford put away in the first half last Sunday.

By all reports Limerick have an outstanding minor team. How many of them played in the colleges semi finals this year against St Kieran's and Kilkenny CBS. Galway at this stage are an unknown quantity as usual but they will be good still Limerick should win anything else would be a surprise. I hope Limerick win, it would make for a cracking final. Despite our minors losing to Dublin they are a very good side and should have had Waterford put away in the first half last Sunday.

I was hugely impressed by KK minors v Waterford. Galway are always a threat, what 6 minor AIs under Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Grats

Orizio wrote: »
    Delaney should have walked for grabbing a player's facemask (Dowling iirc) but lets ignore that as well.

Not surprising really coming from a poster who wanted TJ Ryan to highlight the dirt from Kilkenny in the lead up to the game! It was the one disappointing aspect on this otherwise decent thread to read poster after poster hop on the 'dirty Kilkenny' bandwagon. Despite being at the top for over 15 years now the same few incidents keep on being raked over. That alone shows there isn't really anything of real consequence out there. Meanwhile all the dirty hits inflicted on Kilkenny players are being conveniently ignored, yet another one to add to the last last Sunday.

To his credit TJ Ryan never did go down that route and his generous praise of the Kilkenny team hasn't gone unnoticed. He said his players threw everything at us but they just couldn't beat us and that Kilkenny deservedly won in the end.

When ex coach Donal O'Grady resigned some thought it would finish Any hope. Limerick had for this year. In fact TJ Ryan took some hefty criticism and insults at the time on this thread. I myself didn't expect him to do so well but I posted here at the time that Limerick would be better off without O'Grady. His only game plan and claim to fame is the one he 'stole' from Newtownshandrum, back in 2004/5. Ten years later he was still trying to inflict an alien style on the Limerick players. How refreshing it was to watch Limerick hurl with freedom and passion this summer.

Ye have had Justin MCCarthy, O'Grady twice and John Allen. There was mention of Ger Cunningham and Donal Og Cusack taking over earlier this year. How lucky were ye that TJ hung in there. The Cork way isn't the Limerick way. Don't underestimate the fact that ye are ahead of them at underage and that will matter in the coming years. Whatever carrot was so attractive for those outsiders should now be diverted to your own men.

Good luck in the minor tomorrow. Think we'll be seeing each other in the Final.

• Advertisement

Grats wrote: »
    Not surprising really coming from a poster who wanted TJ Ryan to highlight the dirt from Kilkenny in the lead up to the game! It was the one disappointing aspect on this otherwise decent thread to read poster after poster hop on the 'dirty Kilkenny' bandwagon. Despite being at the top for over 15 years now the same few incidents keep on being raked over. That alone shows there isn't really anything of real consequence out there. Meanwhile all the dirty hits inflicted on Kilkenny players are being conveniently ignored, yet another one to add to the last last Sunday.

To his credit TJ Ryan never did go down that route and his generous praise of the Kilkenny team hasn't gone unnoticed. He said his players threw everything at us but they just couldn't beat us and that Kilkenny deservedly won in the end.

When ex coach Donal O'Grady resigned some thought it would finish Any hope. Limerick had for this year. In fact TJ Ryan took some hefty criticism and insults at the time on this thread. I myself didn't expect him to do so well but I posted here at the time that Limerick would be better off without O'Grady. His only game plan and claim to fame is the one he 'stole' from Newtownshandrum, back in 2004/5. Ten years later he was still trying to inflict an alien style on the Limerick players. How refreshing it was to watch Limerick hurl with freedom and passion this summer.

Ye have had Justin MCCarthy, O'Grady twice and John Allen. There was mention of Ger Cunningham and Donal Og Cusack taking over earlier this year. How lucky were ye that TJ hung in there. The Cork way isn't the Limerick way. Don't underestimate the fact that ye are ahead of them at underage and that will matter in the coming years. Whatever carrot was so attractive for those outsiders should now be diverted to your own men.

I think the general consensus was though that KK are no longer dirty. And they weren't ever really a dangerous sort of team the way Wexford can be. More strategic.

The Cork managers in fairness did a good job apart from, J McM.

LK V KK in the minor would be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Grats wrote: »

A fair analysis in fairness. Personally feel we are playing a nice brand of hurling. The best hurling I've ever seen from a team in green.

How KK nearly lost that minor semi I'll never know. By far the better team that played all the hurling in my book. Waterford hung in doggedly on Sunday in fairness but KK should have kicked on. No such thing as a bad KK team though. The whole of Limerick would sacrifice any minor glory for some senior glory now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Browney7 wrote: »
    A fair analysis in fairness. Personally feel we are playing a nice brand of hurling. The best hurling I've ever seen from a team in green.

How KK nearly lost that minor semi I'll never know. By far the better team that played all the hurling in my book. Waterford hung in doggedly on Sunday in fairness but KK should have kicked on. No such thing as a bad KK team though. The whole of Limerick would sacrifice any minor glory for some senior glory now.

They did, but Waterford were better last 10-15 of normal time. Could/should have won at the death, even though Kilkenny were the better team. Not a good sign in my opinion, though the game will improve them.

I think the general consensus was though that KK are no longer dirty. And they weren't ever really a dangerous sort of team the way Wexford can be. More strategic.

The Cork managers in fairness did a good job apart from, J McM.

LK V KK in the minor would be a cracker.

They never were. No one here has yet named a player from any county that had to be hospitalized after playing Kilkenny since Brian Cody took over. Neither can any of you quote the number of direct red cards issued to Kilkenny players in the same period. Go do your research, and you will find that it is less than any of Clare, Limerick, Cork, Tipp, Galway, Dublin, Wexford or Waterford though Kilkenny played more games than any in the same period and a lot more high profile games at that. On the other hand Reid, Rice, Hogan and Shefflin all had to receive hospital treatment and were out for long periods. You talk the talk, but facts, now they are non existent onth is thread and oh', by the way biased opinions are not facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Grats

They never were. No one here has yet named a player from any county that had to be hospitalized after playing Kilkenny since Brian Cody took over. Neither can any of you quote the number of direct red cards issued to Kilkenny players in the same period. Go do your research, and you will find that it is less than any of Clare, Limerick, Cork, Tipp, Galway, Dublin, Wexford or Waterford though Kilkenny played more games than any in the same period and a lot more high profile games at that. On the other hand Reid, Rice, Hogan and Shefflin all had to receive hospital treatment and were out for long periods. You talk the talk, but facts, now they are non existent onth is thread and oh', by the way biased opinions are not facts.

You showed your annoyance regarding this issue on this thread before the game last Sunday in no uncertain terms. What disappointed most of all was the number of posters who joined the attack and as you said without any foundation. Mind you it is no different to any other county when their turn cones around to take Kilkenny on. Sometimes it appears that in highlighting the perceived dirt that it gives these other counties a licence to inflict their dirt, as we had again last Sunday. No Kilkenny player ever did what Benny Dunne did, Padraig Maher, Iarla Tannian, Cyril Donnellan, to mention just a few. It's never okay to intentionally badly injure an opponent, thankfully Kilkenny can hold their heads high in this regard.

I know this is the Limerick thread and you are justifiably proud of your team. But I feel justified in rebutting the accusations that were thrown our way in the lead up to the game. We are mighty proud of our disciplinary record over such a long period at the top.

You've completely missed the point, most people agree that Kilkenny weren't called enough for fouls for long periods and weren't suitably punished. Their red card count is far lower than it should have been. Saying people had to be hospitalised to constitute dirty play is ridiculous. Kk got away with a lot of dirt for a long period of time. Anyway this is an old argument now and you're making a meal of it.

That does not mean that kk of the late 00's were not the the greatest ever hurling team of all time. Also, congrats on a great win in the semi. I think limericks performance on the day would have beaten most teams in those conditions. Kk's experience and craft maybe edged it for them, but is was a really titanic battle.

You've completely missed the point, most people agree that Kilkenny weren't called enough for fouls for long periods and weren't suitably punished. Their red card count is far lower than it should have been. Saying people had to be hospitalised to constitute dirty play is ridiculous. Kk got away with a lot of dirt for a long period of time. Anyway this is an old argument now and you're making a meal of it.

That does not mean that kk of the late 00's were not the the greatest ever hurling team of all time. Also, congrats on a great win in the semi. I think limericks performance on the day would have beaten most teams in those conditions. Kk's experience and craft maybe edged it for them, but is was a really titanic battle.

Exactly. Anyway let's draw a line on the sand on this rubbish.

Hopefully the minors will get a good result today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Team for today, talking points as usual:

1. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    5. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    6. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    7. Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher)
    8. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    9. Ronan Lynch (Vice-Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)
    10. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. Cian Lynch (Captain) (Patrickswell)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun)

Bench:
    16. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown), 17. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen), 18. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen), 19. Edward Doyle (Monaleen), 20. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh), 21. Brian Ryan (South Liberties), 22. Conor McSweeney (South Liberties), 23. Barry Murphy (Doon) and 24. Conor Moroney (Tournafulla).

So, Colin Ryan, is back to wing-back for this game having played in almost every line at this stage. His move there was the winning of the game in the Munster final replay, so hopefully he can make a big impact, he's a super player, great fielder.

Andrew La Touche Cosgrave holds the centre of the defence, which has been the real problem position. Ronan Lynch back into midfield, possibly his best position, I'm not 100% sure.

But we'll likely see the half-forward line all pop up in midfield at some stage during the game, we need to get them on the ball and running towards goal. And then you've got Tom Morrissey, who is in great form, inside... his move to centre-forward in the replay was crucial and he finished with 0-5 from play again, I think.

Peter Casey is basically a younger Graeme Mulcahy, absolutely electric in the corner.

Once again there are changes to the bench, I'd say they've used well over 30 players so far... Barry Murphy from Doon is a very good player and I'd expect him to be starting next year for sure.

Hopefully they can do enough to win!

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Team for today, talking points as usual:

1. Eoghan McNamara (Doon)
    2. Sean Finn (Bruff)
    3. Paddy O Loughlin (Kilmallock)
    4. Jamie Porter (Monaleen)
    5. Colin Ryan (Pallasgreen)
    6. Andrew La Touche Cosgrave (Monaleen)
    7. Conor Byrnes (Murroe/Boher)
    8. Robbie Hanley (Kilmallock)
    9. Ronan Lynch (Vice-Captain) (Na Piarsaigh)
    10. Seamus Flanagan (Feohanagh/Castlemahon)
    11. Barry Nash (South Liberties)
    12. Cian Lynch (Captain) (Patrickswell)
    13. Peter Casey (Na Piarsaigh)
    14. Tom Morrissey (Ahane)
    15. Conor Fitzgerald (Claughaun)

Bench:
    16. Cian Hedderman (Ballybrown), 17. Lorcan Lyons (Monaleen), 18. Darragh Fanning (Pallasgreen), 19. Edward Doyle (Monaleen), 20. Thomas Grimes (Na Piarsaigh), 21. Brian Ryan (South Liberties), 22. Conor McSweeney (South Liberties), 23. Barry Murphy (Doon) and 24. Conor Moroney (Tournafulla).

So, Colin Ryan, is back to wing-back for this game having played in almost every line at this stage. His move there was the winning of the game in the Munster final replay, so hopefully he can make a big impact, he's a super player, great fielder.

Andrew La Touche Cosgrave holds the centre of the defence, which has been the real problem position. Ronan Lynch back into midfield, possibly his best position, I'm not 100% sure.

But we'll likely see the half-forward line all pop up in midfield at some stage during the game, we need to get them on the ball and running towards goal. And then you've got Tom Morrissey, who is in great form, inside... his move to centre-forward in the replay was crucial and he finished with 0-5 from play again, I think.

Peter Casey is basically a younger Graeme Mulcahy, absolutely electric in the corner.

Once again there are changes to the bench, I'd say they've used well over 30 players so far... Barry Murphy from Doon is a very good player and I'd expect him to be starting next year for sure.

Hopefully they can do enough to win!

The amount of players in this team you could genuinely see having prospects of going on to play senior is amazing.

• Advertisement

Some of Cian Lynches touches and tricks are just ridiculous. Twice he has struck the ball having thrown it up in such a way it's hard to see how he could strike it, it's like he bends the hurley. Casey really is like another Mulcahy. Morrissey is a class act. Ronan Lynch is rolls Royce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement