Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight of the Conchords - Olympia, Wed 5th, Thurs 6th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

adamski8 wrote: »
    became ill and couldnt go tonight :(

aw .... that sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Any set list of the 2nd night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Was far better than I expected which I shall chalk up to not doing excessive revision on the songs. Far less in between banter than I expected but really enjoyed the actual songs even if there was no Robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Great show tonight, I thought. They even played Too Many Dicks as the opening number! They're two very funny blokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Looks like there was a fair difference between the two nights - respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Excellent show last night!

"This show has kind of fallen apart, and I can't help but feel that we are partly to blame"

It was also funny when Brett told security to throw everyone out as the crowd was acting up.

I can't believe they took requests! Loved how Germane got muddled during "If your into it" as they haven't played it in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Absolutely brilliant show. They started with "Too Many Dicks" and ended with "Rhymnoceros" and on request they played "If You're into It"

I thought the banter with the crowd was quite funny in parts, they even sang Waltzing Maltilda. :)

Business Time was changed quite a lot but still great. Was surprised that they only played 1 song for the encore, and would've loved to have heard "Foux du Fafa" "Inner City Pressure" and "Robots" but overall it was a great show and I'm just so glad I got to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Any set list of the 2nd night?

erm... not all and not in order

Too Many D**ks on the dancefloor
    Most Beautiful girl in the room
    I'm Not Crying
    Think about it
    Bowie in space
    Deamon Woman
    Too many Motherukers
    Bus drivers Song
    Jenny
    Business Time
    Albi - Crowd request
    If your into it - Crowd request
    Hiphopapotamus v Rhymenocerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

whizzbang wrote: »

I'm Not Crying
    Think about it
    Bowie in space
    Deamon Woman
    Too many Motherukers
    Bus drivers Song
    Jenny
    Business Time
    Albi - Crowd request

Thanks for that list. I was too awestruck to remember which was played, but they did a few of my faves. That was a deadly gig. They were fantastic, way up there on my list of one of my best gigs attended. Had good seats too, so a clear view of the stage for once :)

Not much heckeling either, but was good with all the Aussie stuff.
    David O Doherty was also good. Better than when I saw him last time. I want that Panda book :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

Awesome as DO'D would say; and in the true sense of the word! He was excellent and the boys were laugh a minute stuff. Had a chuckle at the guy who started the Ozzie-Ozzie-Ozzie chant. The banter was good between the crowd and the lads, certainly I was expecting much worse based on Wednesday. The muffin story too! The messed up costume change! So much of it was impromptu too.

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    I want that Panda book :pac:

I also want that book.

"A panda will always gravitate towards the North Pole as the iron in their bodies makes them slightly magnetic"

''If a Panda is struck by lightening, the black bits go white, and the white bits black, this is known as a negative Panda'' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It could have been overlooked in the above setlist, but did they do Ladies of the World last night? Just wondering.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

''If a Panda is struck by lightening, the black bits go white, and the white bits black, this is known as a negative Panda'' :pac:

"If a Panda is hit by lightening a second time he reverts to his normal colours. This is known as a double negative Panda. Or just simply; a Panda"

It could have been overlooked in the above setlist, but did they do Ladies of the World last night? Just wondering.

Don't think so. I was itching for them to play You Don't Have To Be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Did they use the tiny red piano?????

Orlee wrote: »

Yeah can't remember the song Brett used it for though.

1352[3?] is quite possibly the funniest song I've ever heard. The first verse about the rose.... :D

1352 was great. Sounded Clannady too :) (I like clannad, btw)

Never heard the Jenny song before either, that was brilliant. And the bus driver song.

Can't remember what they used the mini piano thing for. I think they used it for Alby, but they deffo didn't for 'If that's what you're into' (so glad they played that one, it's one of my faves)

Hilarious hearing Jemaine mumble his way through some of the backing verses that he'd forgotten in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mr Teeny

whizzbang wrote: »

I'm Not Crying
    Think about it
    Bowie in space
    Deamon Woman
    Too many Motherukers
    Bus drivers Song
    Jenny
    Business Time
    Albi - Crowd request

You can add Hurt Feelings and Epileptic Dogs to that list too :)

Can't remember what they used the mini piano thing for. I think they used it for Alby, but they deffo didn't for 'If that's what you're into' (so glad they played that one, it's one of my faves)

Yup, used it for all of Albi and used it for the last little bit of Hurt Feelings too!

Absolutely amazing gig. I felt physically drained leaving from laughing so much! :D

I loved how Jemaine said Wednesday nights audience were great but last night was C*nt Thursday :D

Thought the crowd were great. The only thing that tried to slightly ruin my night was the idiot sitting in front of me. He officially has the biggest head in Ireland so I spent a few of the songs with my head tilted to one side with one eye closed so I could focus on one of the guys. Then when I got sore I'd swap over to the other side and the other guy :) That wasn't the problem though... what irked me was that he sat devoid of emotion for the entire show. Not one laugh, not even a chuckle. Throwing sarcastic smiles over to his friend the odd time and then back to his texting :mad: Normally I'd just say fook him, but that fact that a lot of people didn't get tickets and would have given their right ball to get in, this fool didn't deserve his seat. Eventually he was so drunk he just slouched in his seat so I had a perfect view... but still, what a plank!! Didn't even come close to ruining my night though, no chance! :D

Also though DO'D was brilliant. That was my first time seeing him, thought he was great :D

• Advertisement

I saw them last year and they played a good mix of both albums unlike the Olympia shows, which was very much focused on the 1st season/album. I really was looking forward to hearing Hurt Feelings live again and they did a brilliant version of 'We're both in love with a sexy lady' which segued into an amazing version of Sugalumps.

Was great to see them in a more intimate venue.

PS. Hands up everyone who bought a FOTC kitchen cloth - it's classic:) I got the Dublin print too but only found out when I got home last night that it was the 6th listed on it, and I went on the 5th. D'oh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

It was an amazing gig!! All the songs were brill, just wish they could have played all night so we could have heard them all, so many great ones to choose from! Think I defo enjoyed Albi the most though! Although demon woman was hilarious! There was only minimal heckling last night and it seemed in good jest, the guys seemed to play off it well! They looked like they were having great fun and only seemed to look tired at the very end but we were knackered from just laughing watching them so god only knows how they felt! Any little changes to the songs were hilarious and the in-between banter was always really, really funny!

Wish we were getting to see them again, really hope they come back soon!:D By the reaction they got from the crowd I'd say they were delighted!

What sorta heckling was going on the night before??? It was more song requests last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Just the usual juvenile stuff: "Nigel!", "Tits!", "Nigel!", "Balls!", "NIGEL!", "Show us your tits!", "NIGEL!!!", "Play some Prince!", "I love you, Bret!", "Where's Murray?", "Where's Mel?", "Bowie!", ya da, ya da...

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Linguo wrote: »
    What sorta heckling was going on the night before??? It was more song requests last night!

Some people at the start shouted something like "Show us your tits", then a while after someone shouted "Balls!". One guy shouted "Play some Prince" twice towards the end. Fair play to Jermaine who actually did start playing some Prince before Brett joined in and they then slipped seamlessly into Business Time.

I was delighted they played Jenny, probably my favourite FOTC song. Heard it a few years ago on a HBO special they did. Especially loved the way they changed parts of it, that really caught me by surprise and made it even more enjoyable

(Jenny, for those of you who've never heard it)

Linguo wrote: »
    It was an amazing gig!! All the songs were brill, just wish they could have played all night so we could have heard them all, so many great ones to choose from!

"We've another hour and a half to go..... whoa your excited. You just watch your excitement levels diminish the longer we play" :pac:

Jemaine dealt with one heckler well; can't remember what the guy said to him but his reply was 'oh its jukebox time. Why didn't you just stay at home with your ipod?'

They seemed prepared for it after Weds nite.

Edit: Sickened they didn't play leggy blonde after starting the first few chords to it. 'Do you know how many people it takes to play leggy blonde?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Baguette? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Not much heckeling either, but was good with all the Aussie stuff.
    David O Doherty was also good. Better than when I saw him last time. I want that Panda book :pac:

I heartily recommend the Panda book.
    Orlee wrote: »

Yes. It's quite heavy but easier to put on your knee than a regular piano.
    Hands up everyone who bought a FOTC kitchen cloth - it's classic:) I got the Dublin print too but only found out when I got home last night that it was the 6th listed on it, and I went on the 5th. D'oh!!

I need new dishcloths. Should have gone to the merch stand. :mad:
    Just the usual juvenile stuff: "Nigel!", "Tits!", "Nigel!", "Balls!", "NIGEL!", "Show us your tits!", "NIGEL!!!", "Play some Prince!", "I love you, Bret!", "Where's Murray?", "Where's Mel?", "Bowie!", ya da, ya da...

I'm glad I went on Thursday then. Besides the requests there wasn't too much idiotic heckling.

Great gig. I'd like to say highly polished but that would be a bare-faced lie. Hilarious though, great banter and it was nice to see them struggling to keep a straight face so often.

Oh yeah and great to hear Jenny too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Did they mention anything about the chairs they were sitting on?

Yes. It's quite heavy but easier to put on your knee than a regular piano.

:D
    Great gig. I'd like to say highly polished but that would be a bare-faced lie. Hilarious though, great banter and it was nice to see them struggling to keep a straight face so often.

Remember they started 1352 and had to stop because Brett was laughing so much.

• Advertisement

The heckling was one thing, part playful that became annoying but it was the amount of movement for people going to the bar or to piss. FFS it's a comedy gig that many would have loved to have been at and there was a constant stream of movement. Do people not take note of the 5 minutes til show time warning and use the loo then hold it in for an hour and a half. The seats are ridiculously tight in there so most had to leave their row to let people out/in.

Advertisement