Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x06 - "Sundown" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

Actually, yeah, she said "Take me home" to Sayid just before dying. Thats why the funeral was in Iraq
    Nadia for sure so. Poor old Darth Sayid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

budgemook wrote: »
    Darth Sayid.
    :D

There had better be lightsabers next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Certainly wasn't a classic episode. Confirmed to me that I don't have too much interest in the on-island stuff at the moment as while lots is happening (yet some people here weirdly claim it isn't) it isn't happening in a believable way. Everything is just plot driven and it feels like its just happening because it has to happen to get to the end, we're head down, slogging our way to the finale. I know the writers have a target but I think they have created (or been forced to create) a convoluted way of getting there, reminds me of Season 3 to a degree.

Characters happily coming and going from the Temple, bumping into each other in the jungle, bit of exposition then they move on. Meets another character they haven't seen in ages, "oh hi, fancy meeting you here, I'm going this way, oh I'm going over here, bye then".

I have no idea of anyones motivations anymore, Miles just happily sitting there waiting to answer any questions anyone might have on what they've missed. And Ben, er, remind me what does he do now? Or Lapidus? Or any of the Others? Sun in one line reminding us her sole purpose is to be reunited wth Jin. And likewise Jin's purpose is Sun. Sayid is no longer a layered character, he loves Nadia, end of, thats his sole purpose and motivation. They are all been turned one-by one into 2 Dimensional characters, maybe that is FLockes evil plan so they are easier to manipulate.

But the difference between this and Season 3 for me is the Flashsideways. While the Flashbacks by Season 3 had become tired and were just killing time until the Flashforwards, the Flashsideways feel like they are heading towards a revelation (okay not this one). Can't believe people don't think they will be relevant in the end. I'm sure the connections with the main Losties aren't just coincidences. However on the downside more and more it seems certain characters, Keemy in this episode, are been brought back for the sake of fan service alone which is a shame, call it Dwayne Dibbley syndrome.

Originally Posted by Sad Professor viewpost.gif
    So:

Mother Abagail = Jacob
    Randall Flagg = MIB/UnLocke
    Nadine Cross = Claire

Stu, Frannie, etc are obvious. But who's Harold Lauder (the traitor)? Trashcan Man? Nick Andros (someone significant has to die)?

I think Sawyer will pay the role of Larry Underwood in the end. That would mean him saving Jack and going off to die in his place.

Well lets hope they haven't just transcribed the entire plot of King novels.... The last thing we need is Damon Lindelof showing up as himself....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well lets hope they haven't just transcribed the entire plot of King novels.... The last thing we need is Damon Lindelof showing up as himself....
    +1 :D

I absolutely detest when writers break the fourth wall. (The BSG finale almost did it unintentionally imo due to a very poorly chosen cameo.) This is where writers have to be very careful when using Deus Ex Machina. It's very easy for the "hand of god" to become the "hand of the writer".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

+1 :D

I absolutely detest when writers break the fourth wall. (The BSG finale almost did it unintentionally imo due to a very poorly chosen cameo.) This is where writers have to be very careful when using Deus Ex Machina. It's very easy for the "hand of god" to become the "hand of the writer".

Last scene-
    Jacob, MiB and Lindelof arguing around a laptop. FLocke is trying to get Lindelof to keep typing until all of the characters are on his side and telling him that this is the only way it can end. But, persuaded by Jacob that all the characters including himself do have freewill, Lindelof throws the laptop through the window where it crashes to the ground and MiB and Jacob disappear. Lindelof sighs, "Its finally over". The camera pans to the still functioning laptop. Its a blank white screen, with one flashing black dot '.......' The End

:P

Still better then a "Game Over" screen at the end.

But probably more then any other show there will be huge expectation to what the final scene/shot will be. Even a show like The Sopranos which to me had a pretty straightforward ending, that made perfect sense to me, created an outcry. How can Lost live up to the expectation with out them thinking of something outlandish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Characters happily coming and going from the Temple, bumping into each other in the jungle, bit of exposition then they move on. Meets another character they haven't seen in ages, "oh hi, fancy meeting you here, I'm going this way, oh I'm going over here, bye then".

lol yeah I had this surreal thought at one point where i thought it was like they were all in a big train station the way they kept bumping into each other all the time :D
    call it Dwayne Dibbley syndrome.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Another thing, (no general lost chat thread) but I'm watching S05E12 and Linus is looking to be judged and MiB could have deliberated on him at anytime. I suppose this is ultimately because he wants Linus to kill Jacob but I didnt think MiB looked at things with such foresight as Jacob, more of a deal with it as it happens type.

Ben is looking to atone for previous transgressions, I wonder if MiB cant kill him now since he's asked repeadely to be judged and MiB delaying it for his own end.

Linus, unlike Sayid doesnt kill unless its for "the good of the island", maybe he's going to be the antihero or key to who is.

Also, it definitely feels that Christian isnt Jacob or MiB, just from the dialogue, obviously could be very wrong because everyone is trying to deceive everyone else but Christian seems to want nothing but whats best for the island and nothing to prove whereas jacob/mib seem to have a 'large wager' involved.

Interesting that Michael Emerson was only suppose to do a few episodes but his performances earned him his key role, like alot of other actors/characters in Lost. Its strange how actors can influence how writers develop characters in a program that is as detailed as Lost.

Lindelof/Cuse will be on mega bucks for their next project, they are truely talented imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Didnt like that look Flocke gave Kate at the very end. Very creepy that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Lets just hope she meets her end and soon. Really can't stand her at this point. The most one dimensional character in the show.

sprinkles wrote: »
    Lets just hope she meets her end and soon. Really can't stand her at this point. The most one dimensional character in the show.
    Pretty sure who ever is with Flocke is doomed now anyway IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

sprinkles wrote: »

She has an undeniably fantastic arse though.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Another thing,
    he's going to be the antihero or key to who is.

Also, it definitely feels that Christian isnt Jacob or MiB,

Interesting that Michael Emerson was only suppose to do a few episodes but his performances earned him his key role, like alot of other actors/characters in Lost. Its strange how actors can influence how writers develop characters in a program that is as detailed as Lost.

MIB has taken the form of christian on two occassions now. As for Ben I dont why he is still in series. Has been reduced to a cameo role as far as i can see in this last series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Dempsey wrote: »
    I didnt think MiB looked at things with such foresight as Jacob, more of a deal with it as it happens type.

Are you serious? :confused:

What about everything he's done to get through the loophole and get ben to kill Jacob? Just threw that plan together the last minute I'd say :p

nc6000 wrote: »
    If this wasn't the final season I'd have stopped watching, I'm only barely hanging in there to see how it ends. From what I've seen so far in Season 6 we'll all be disappointed with the ending.

They are obviously making it up as they go along and had no idea of the ending when the show started.

From last nights episode there appear to have been about 40 people living in "The Temple". In the whole time since 815 crashes nobody encountered any of them or found the temple while moving around the island? :rolleyes:

It's getting pathetic now.

Absolutely ridiculous stuff. You take the time to post this bs on a thread about lost but I doubt you've ever taken the time to actually read an episode thread.

OK, for the umpteenth time. The writers producers were asked to make a pilot for a show based on a plane crashing on a deserted island. That's all they knew at the time.

Really? I never realised it was that simplified. So they just started making up polar bears and smoke monsters to put weird ***** in there? Figure out what they mean later?
    I always thought they knew more about what they were doing than that.

*I presume there was at least a plan that the island was an unusual place, with weird things happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

jimbling wrote: »
    Really? I never realised it was that simplified. So they just started making up polar bears and smoke monsters to put weird ***** in there? Figure out what they mean later?
    I always thought they knew more about what they were doing than that.

*I presume there was at least a plan that the island was an unusual place, with weird things happening?

Yeah when they were asked to do it they put that spin on it that the island would have weird goings on that would need explained. It's like when smokie makes noise the first night after the crash, you couldn't help but think it was a T-Rex or something.

She has an undeniably fantastic arse though.
    and lets not forget that tight t-shirt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭redpanda26

well its all gotten very sinister of late. Really enjoyed the fight scene between dogen and sayid. The look sayid gave ben in the temple was seriously creepy and the look locke gave kate at the end was very interesting. Looking forward now to seeing how it all progresses although I have to say I wasn't to upset when a load of the others got killed in the temple.

Im still not overly enthused about the flash sideways yet but im still waiting to see where they end up so im not going to go into detail about them. overall I enjoyed the episode.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

redpanda26 wrote: »
    and the look locke gave kate at the end was very interesting.

Yeah. We know he already 'looked over' Kate in season 3 when she was in the trees with Juliet (who wouldn't look over them hey!)
    So he obviously knows her and I assume has a plan to bring her over to his side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've got a theory on The Numbers, Jacob's "touch" and the candidates

Maybe the 6 numbers and the associated 6 candidates refer to events that will happen in the final endgame. In other words, The Numbers are a prophecy of sorts. The 6 numbers are the 6 final candidates who will sacrifice themselves in the end to bring down MIB and complete Jacob's mission (whatever that is). Kate isn't one of them because she will probably survive and return to the real world to raise Aaron(poor Claire is probably a goner). The same with one of the Kwons, who will return to raise Ji-Yeon.

I think the people Jacob "touched" were candidates. It was also these candidates who travelled through time during the flashes. Kate was a candidate too, number 51, she just wan't on the short list. This would mean that the "Kwon" on the cave wall refers to Jin not Sun, because as we know Sun did not flash off the plane. There was a "Linus" on the list, but I reckon that refers to Ben's father, not Ben himself, explaining why Ben didn't travel through time either.

I think this could be right. Whaddya think?

• Advertisement

Interesting theory Sad Prof. It would certainly explain the difference between the candidates and the 6 special candidates - I like the idea that they might have to make the ultimate sacrifice for the good of the cause (whatever that is!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I thought this needed to posted here.

1267837042970.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

This would mean that the "Kwon" on the cave wall refers to Jin not Sun, because as we know Sun did not flash off the plane.
    but who the say there wasnt another kwon crossed out somewhere, jin could have been crossed out due to the fact he killed someone, but at the same time so did sawyer yet hes still a candidate, but at the same time again why were kate and clare crossed out,

don ramo wrote: »
    but who the say there wasnt another kwon crossed out somewhere, jin could have been crossed out due to the fact he killed someone, but at the same time so did sawyer yet hes still a candidate, but at the same time again why were kate and clare crossed out,
    Yeah, I suppose on the long list of candidates it's possible that there is another Kwon. But if there was two of them with the same name, how would Jacob differentiate between them? It seems unlikely imo.

I'm not quite sure how the "short list" of 6 candidates was arrived at, but it seems it was decided a long time ago. The numbers were being transmitted from the radio tower in 1988. And Dharma printed them on the hatch in 1977.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

don ramo wrote: »

I think sun, not jin is the candidate.
    If we're to go along with people dying making them more open to MIB's advances, then it's more likely to be Sun as I think there's a good chance Jin died when the freighter blew up.

Or maybe it's their kid.

I wonder does dying, even momentarily, release you from Jacob's 'gift' and leave you open to MIB's charm?

Can we get a list of people we believe to have died at some point but are still alive?
    Aaron :eek:

Advertisement