Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US/IRL] 6x06 - "Sundown" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
  • 03-03-2010 1:22am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "SUNDOWN" -

Episode Title: "Sundown"
    Airdate: March 2nd 2010

Synopsis (from TV.Com):
    Sayid is faced with a difficult decision, and Claire sends a warning to the temple inhabitants.

Next New Episode: 6x07 - March 9th 2010

SPOILER WARNING:

From now on, this thread shall reveal details of the episode mentioned above. If you have not yet seen this episode, please do not move any further down the thread.

A REMINDER ABOUT USE OF SPOILERS:

No discussion of future episode spoilers. That includes anything the writers may have revealed in interviews, podcasts, etc. Even behind spoiler tags they don't belong in this thread. Promos for next week shouldn't be posted in here either.

And out of respect for those following the show on RTE, this episode should NOT be discussed outside of this thread until it has aired on RTE.

What did you think of "Sundown"? 156 votes

0%
    11%
    V9Jazzyme-skywalkerMadPatrick[Deleted User]demanred davebig_showWoddleniemadclaivamurpho999[-0-]SteelyDanJalapenoDubsbudgemookDarrenMSPMandalore87 18 votes
    26%
    YakuzaSir Digby Chicken CaesarAnimaWashoutJTManCreatureHelixPsychedelicsprinklesKiithSnake Pliskenoleras:Keith:Macker1AgamemnonbazwaldoabelardCarroller16Double Ckryogen 41 votes
    30%
    Mr EpickarooneyLizardKingJohnKslave1the_barfly1dead airStephen PMatthewVIIncc98071SherifuMr.Nice GuymicksqzSad ProfessorleggoTonyD79The GnomeBorat_SagdiyevSoby 47 votes
    15%
    fjonmatrimtvnutzPatricideawhirjohnny_ultimateThe Voltyogidc26Gran HermanoDr.Slurmhomerun_homerJames Fordeallen175SillyMonkeyMr FreezemcgoochMmcdblue_steelYossarian_LivesBeeker 24 votes
    9%
    [Deleted User]DempseykavsmdfTiggerKoolKidVolvicMinerialBenny Cakekeeffe2001StephenBHandsome BobbigdogbarkinguncleoswaldprunudoMR NINEangrykoala 15 votes
    6%
    EKRIUQFrankGrimesNukaColaJay RuDeepBluedrver1InTheTreesDymoArtfully DodginGitb1 10 votes
    0%
    0%
    Tristram 1 vote
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

That was a very eventful episode. :eek:

What's gonna happen next? The temple's in ruins and loads of people are dead.
    We didn't see Sawyer, Hurley, Jin or Jack. (or did we?)

Saieed and Jin on the run in the alt-time-line? I still can't see where they're going with this.
    Next week is a Ben episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Well that was rather good.

One of the best fight scenes they've ever managed!

Looks like Sayid has lost it or has actually become 'evil' or possessed by 'something' - surely not Jacob though after what we saw today?

After the last few episodes that focussed on a few characters each, it was nice to have a more 'ensemble' episode that started to bring storylines together.

It looks though like thay've broken up into groups again. The others are almost decimated. There's a group with Smoke Monster that also now includes Sayid and Claire, Sawyer and Jin(?) and maybe Kate (unlikely though?). Ben seems to be left alone. Then there's Ilana/Miles/Sun/Lapidus. And then separate again are Jack and Hurley. I'm hoping some of those meet up soon so we don't have to have too many divergences in the storyline.

Anyway yeah really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I enjoyed it. The advert for it built it up too much by saying it couldn't show much from the episode, it leads you falsely to believe that it is going to be rammed with revelations but it wasn't.
    So, that aside... I hoped Sayid wouldn't follow MIB but there we have it. He's chosen evil, whether that is the real Sayid or some possessed version of him. I liked his evil glances, and Claire's to Kate. I thought for a second that we might actually get to see smokey kill Kate but I doubt she'd be killed now just to please fans. If she dies before the show ends they will try pull a Shannon on it and make us feel bad that she dies in the end.

It was annoying to see Dogen and his people killed off so speedily when we haven't been given any further insight into them.

Something that is bugging me is how easily some people bump into each other in the forrest (Kate meets Jack and Hurley while looking for Clare, and then 2 seconds after Sayid leaves the temple she meets him. She hasn't got very far) while someone like Richard Alpert was legging it to the Temple but hasn't arrived yet (yet Smokey leads Sawyer to a cave, gives him a bit of insight then makes his way to Claire and the Temple).

Small niggles aside, I can't wait to see how things progress. We may finally be getting the war that never arrived when Jack asked Ana Lucia about forming an army.

One thing I noted was how Dogen told Sayid that MIB wants to kill every living person/thing on the island. Similar to the Freighters directives, sent by Widmore. Widmore wanted Locke to get back to the island. Everything points to him being on the wrong side, yet I can't help but think the writers will try put him on the side of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Smokey killed Widmores men so I doubt he has linked up with him. Glad we wont be seeing too much of that hippy again! That air hostess one is the most untrustworthy #### in the show by the looks of things!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

It seems that everyone who wanted a Michael Bay director got their wish :P

Very eventful episode. Even if there werent a lot of reveals, it was still great to watch. Best of the season so far for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

ehhh...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Tristram wrote: »
    ehhh...? :confused:
    Yeah, pretty much. It was a strangely unsatisfactory episode despite the fact that a lot happened. Sorta felt like it pushed the story forward a bit without really enlightening us on why or what's going on.
    Think I enjoyed Ben sloooowly backing away from Sayid the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It was eventful but unsatisfying for me for some reason, I still have no idea where it's all going. All I can gather is that Flocke has Sayid and Claire definitely on his side, Sawyer possibly on his side and now Kate as well as Jin in the dark (once they know the deal they'll try to escape).

On the other side we got Jack and Hurley out on their own, with Ilana, Lapidus, Miles and Sun holed up hiding in the Temple.

That's all I can gather, still haven't a breeze in regards to the alt timeline.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Smokey killed Widmores men so I doubt he has linked up with him. Glad we wont be seeing too much of that hippy again!

It only shows that smokey killed one of his men. The rest were killed by the Others. Smokie is a law unto itself I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

why isn't claire angry that locke was lying to her about the others having her baby?

• Advertisement

why isn't claire angry that locke was lying to her about the others having her baby?

Cause I'd say she's got a bit of a screw lose with having survived (??) being blown up in new Otherton as she slept, saw her father out of nowhere on the island and didn't act weird about it, has been living in the jungle for 3 years killing others, being tortured under capture and wielding axes into people's stomachs when she doesn't like what she hears.

Think it's safe to say she is not sound of mind and it may not enter her head that her 'friend' misled her. She just wants to off Kate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Because the others did have her baby. Don't forget Kate worked with Ben and the Dharma Initiative. She's an 'other' as far as Locke is concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Good episode ... good ending ... gave it an 8 ... good scene when Ben realised that Sayid had turned ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I gave it a 6, the story is moving at a snails pace unnescessarily imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The wish which Flocke grants to Sayid in bringing Nadia back to life ends up being the alt reality?

Opr

opr wrote: »
    The wish which Flocke grants to Sayid in bringing Nadia back to life ends up being the alt reality?

Opr

Yeah , was thinking the same thing ... didn't he promise something similar to Sawyer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Losing interest at this stage.

We get introduced to the temple this season, and new characters who are now dead (unless they pull a Sayid and come back to life because of the water) just like that? I mean why have Dogen as this mysterious character and include him in the flashbacks just to kill him off, another Libby moment IMO.

MIB kills everyone at the temple, those who didn't get killed are have now joined with him? No questions/protests? Just pack up and leave with him??

So those left on the island are Jack and Hurley, Ilana, Lapidus, Miles and Sun on one side, MIB and his crew on the other with question marks over Jin Kate Richard and possibly Sawyer and what groups they are in.
    Is this what it has boiled down to?

Season 6 has been poor so far IMO.
    The flash sideways are making me lose interest in the characters.
    They are boring and going nowhere.
    If this was any other season apart from the final one i'd stop watching.
    I hope i'm proved wrong.

This episode gets 5 from me.

KingKenny wrote: »
    Losing interest at this stage.

We get introduced to the temple this season, and new characters who are now dead (unless they pull a Sayid and come back to life because of the water) just like that? I mean why have Dogen as this mysterious character and include him in the flashbacks just to kill him off, another Libby moment IMO.

MIB kills everyone at the temple, those who didn't get killed are have now joined with him? No questions/protests? Just pack up and leave with him??

So those left on the island are Jack and Hurley, Ilana, Lapidus, Miles and Sun on one side, MIB and his crew on the other with question marks over Jin Kate Richard and possibly Sawyer and what groups they are in.
    Is this what it has boiled down to?

Season 6 has been poor so far IMO.
    The flash sideways are making me lose interest in the characters.
    They are boring and going nowhere.
    If this was any other season apart from the final one i'd stop watching.
    I hope i'm proved wrong.

This episode gets 5 from me.

Allthough I enjoyed the ep , you make some good points there ...
    the flashsideways would wanna speed up a little since we are
    allready 1/3 (more??) through the season...

Yeah Dogen was killed off too quickly ... he was a good character ...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

i thought that was just an average ep, the one thing i did find interesting was Sayid's message to the others "Jacob is dead, you don't HAVE to stay here any more" that and the fact most of the others jump ship almost straight away makes me believe further that Jacob aint the good guy he's been made out to be. Oh and at least Sayid tried to get some answers out Dengen (even though he got no answers)before he flipped to the dark side

Don't know if this was mentioned before but does any think that Sayid becoming whoever or what ever he is now is the islands way paying him back for shooting young Ben, thus forcing Ben to become who he is now.

Also i'm starting to think Smokie killed Mr Echo only because he knew he cudn't control him. MIB did speak to Sayid before Sayid managed to stick the knive into his chest, therefore un-doing whatever power the knive had, and by MIB speaking to him he managed to gain some control and didn't have to kill Sayid. Smokie in the form of Yemi spoke to Echo a couple of times but finally realised he cudn't control him so he killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yeah , was thinking the same thing ... didn't he promise something similar to Sawyer ?

Can't remember the exact details but was to the effect of getting off the Island. Also made the promise to Claire of being re-united with her baby which would tie with the same theory.

Opr

• Advertisement

At least we know that another episode will be "wasted" on explaining Keamy's connection to Jin in the flash sideways. Most likely I wont care about that episode either because the writers havent established the importance if any of the flash sideways. They just are making up coincidences as far as I can see.

I suppose the writers strike will get the blame for everything that went wrong by the fanatics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I thought it was a good episode although the flash sideways was the worst so far - and we've had a Kate flashsideways!!! I thought the script and the acting in the flashsideways was absolutely terrible.

Anyway, thankfully the action packed scenes on the island made up for that. What are FLockes plans for the others that joined him? I was disappointed that they killed off Dogen. He was becoming a favorite character of mine. Hope we see him again in some guise.

Did it bother anyone else that FLocke just seemed to accept Kate was joining them even though had he caught her when he was smokey he would have killed her? Also he surely knows that she isn't working on his side or she would have left the temple to join him with the rest of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Dempsey wrote: »
    At least we know that another episode will be "wasted" on explaining Keamy's connection to Jin in the flash sideways. Most likely I wont care about that episode either because the writers havent established the importance if any of the flash sideways. They just are making up coincidences as far as I can see.

I suppose the writers strike will get the blame for everything that went wrong by the fanatics

Wasnt the guy with Keamy who picked Sayid up one of Keamy's men on the island? Also Jin had a load of cash that was taken off him at LAX customs in the flash sideways. Thought I read somewhere where the writers said the flash sideways would only last till mid season or could an explanation come then?:confused: Starting to think they need 25 episodes this season to resolve things.:rolleyes:

Wasnt the guy with Keamy who picked Sayid up one of Keamy's men on the island? Also Jin had a load of cash that was taken off him at LAX customs in the flash sideways. Thought I read somewhere where the writers said the flash sideways would only last till mid season or could an explanation come then?:confused: Starting to think they need 25 episodes this season to resolve things.:rolleyes:

Omar was one of Keamy's men on the island, great recycling of actors going on :pac:

We dont know if customs took the money/watch off jin but it would make sense because it looks like he didnt deliver what he was suppose to.

I'd like to see where you read it because I hope to god that you are right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

WOAH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I really enjoyed that episode, even thought the flash sideways were decent enough. Locke was brilliant again, he gives off such an aura of menace.

So where is Locke going to now, is he really trying to get off the island? I wonder is it a simple case of getting a boat of the island or is he going to time travel, or somehow transport into the sideways reality? What does he want to do when he gets there?

Why didn't Locke ask Claire to just make a hole in the ring of ash so that he could get into the temple? Why did the death of Dogen allow him to enter the temple?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

It's funny how it's hard to please everyone. Loads of people were giving out about the writers introducing new characters, such as Dogen, in the final series, yet now people have grown to like him. It was inevitable he would be killed off as he serves no purpose towards the end, which will just be about the main characters who have survived since season 1, and the Jacob/MIB story.

The flashsideways proved this week that they are utterly pointless apart from giving the writers the opportunity to bring back characters who have been killed off, and to conveniently have the main characters encounter each other without knowing that they knew each other in a different timeline.

I thought this was an average episode at best, but I think it is one of those episodes that sets things up for future better episodes, as it has now created the split of those siding with MIB and those who will be against him.

And I really wished MIB would have killed Kate when she came out of the temple, had that happened I would have given it a 10 and proclaimed it my favourite episode of Lost ever!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thought I read somewhere where the writers said the flash sideways would only last till mid season
    *SPOILER WARNING*
    No, the writers said recently that the flash sideways won't be resolved until the end. That's how important they are!

Guys, any further discussion of this should be taken to another thread as this thread is not for the discussion of future episode spoilers. That includes stuff the writers say in interviews. Mr E has made this clear in the sticky and I posted it at the start of the thread as well.

There are people reading this thread who don't want to know anything about future episodes, nor do they want to have to scroll over large patches of spoiler tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Another Marmite episode so far... think this episode is proof that the pacing and screenplay of each episode is very very carefully thought out to have a pyramid effect, to stack up scene upon scene of 'little' idea's for payoffs in the overall movement of the story.

Great episode. I knew Sayid was going to Join up with MIB I said it from E1!! It was always boudn to happen to create 2 factions they needed to split up some of them.

Did they contradict themselves with the whole MIB becoming dead people?
    Didn't Ilana say he is now 'stuck' as Locke yet Dogen said he will come to Sayid as someone he knew who died? Although the kicker here is that we all assumed it would be Nadia yet he appeared as Locke... But is it not true that Sayid never knew that Locke was dead?

* So whats with the Ash now we know that Dogen was the one that was protecting the Temple.
    *Nice cameo by Keamy.
    *Dogen and Lennon dead - what was with the baseball that Dogen kept an eye on?
    *How did llana , frank etc get to the temple and Richard has not appeared yet?
    *Are the writeres creating a case of too many cooks in the kitchen syndrome? *Waay too much happening to pin down after one watch.
    *Maybe after episode 10 it'll be interesting to watch all 10 straight through to get the real flow of the season.
    *Separate Timeline was interesting, Jack gave Sayid a 'look' in the hospital(maybe im reading too much into that) Then Sayid finds Jin in the refrigerator. another link to the 'destiny'

Dempsey wrote: »
    I gave it a 6, the story is moving at a snails pace unnescessarily imo

How?? There has been 5seasons and now 6episodes of 'snails pace' Can you honestly tell me that from the end of S2 to now you understand the story?

Goes to show you cant please them all. The new 'others' were introduced people went mad, nwo they are killed off and people again are going mad. They show is seriously layered and if you think that Dogens crew where nothing then you have to think more about plot devicing and angles to make a story arc so prolonged and keep it interesting and in tune with each existing storyline.

The over reaching angle of this new temple was to further drive a wedge between the characters and try to create the end-game set-up between the 2 opposing forces or opposite groups akin to Lord of The Flies.

Hang on a minute did you miss the scene where Sayid told them that if they stayed they would die? And that they were obviously in the dark about Jacob's death and now they found out he is dead and are obviously in fear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

No, i wasn't expecting Nadia to come out of the forest, wasn't surprised it was Locke.

I'm not exactly sure happened with regard to the stabbing. Dogen said don't let him speak one word. But he said Hello Sayid before he stabbed him. And the stabbing had no effect. Was Dogen from the start, hoping to use Locke to kill Sayid or did he genuinely hope/expect Sayid's stabbing would kill him? Was the fact he spoke before he stabbed him significant at all? Or was this a turn of phrase Dogen used to warn Sayid that MIB would try and seduce him?

Advertisement