Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot Training/ Class one medical

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

OAA would like you to think that. So do FTE, Cabair etc etc. As it is only Aer Lingus and BA have a known bias towards integrated schools. But the only jobs at the moment are Ryanair and they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robfullam

Haha the actual Stress trying to decide what to do!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

lol:D I'm starting to think i might give the training a miss for another year and head to australia to make a few bucks.see how things are wen i get back. would you know much about oxfords integrated course?

i know a lad thats started in oxford you do all the atpl exams first before heading out to arizona to start flying.£80k my mate did his ground school full time in oxford and the rest of his training in a certain school in florida which im sure more than one poster on this forum has been to;).

and yet the only $$$$$$ he owes the bank is just for the TR

Probably LOADED With money!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MightyDucks

i know a lad thats started in oxford you do all the atpl exams first before heading out to arizona to start flying.£80k my mate did his ground school full time in oxford and the rest of his training in a certain school in florida which im sure more than one poster on this forum has been to;).

and yet the only $$$$$$ he owes the bank is just for the TR

i know 80k is alot of money but i think its the best college with the best course and for me full time is the only way i think id be able to do it

• Advertisement

Obviously not everyone has been hit by the recession! You can do it full time anywhere. The 'best school' is a relative term and the course is the same everywhere with the same licence and ratings at the end. But if you can afford it, places like OAA, FTE etc are great. So go for it. A few years from now just like the Leaving certificate. No one will ever even mention it and it won't appear even appear on your CV.

Definitely the best way is go full time wherever you train if you can. It's a bit quicker too so you can get on the dole earlier LOL;)

airvan the lad i know thats gone to OAA is their because the bank of mam&dad are funding it,now just because the course is 80K that does not mean that once you pay up(all upfront)that at the end of it your going get your CPL/MEIR you have to work for it.
    me and the lads tried to tell the lad thats gone to OAA to do it modular full time as he could get it done within the same period that it takes to do it intergrated and have the extra $$$ for an FR TR our advise fell on deaf ears:confused:

airvan the lad i know thats gone to OAA is their because the bank of mam&dad are funding it,now just because the course is 80K that does not mean that once you pay up(all upfront)that at the end of it your going get your CPL/MEIR you have to work for it.
    me and the lads tried to tell the lad thats gone to OAA to do it modular full time as he could get it done within the same period that it takes to do it intergrated and have the extra $$$ for an FR TR our advise fell on deaf ears:confused:

First of all the recession has hit me, hence the going to australia to try make money.
    Second there is no "bank of mam and dad".
    Third your advise hasn't fallen on deaf ears thats why i'm on this forum to ask as many questions as i can.

The reason im THINKING!!!!!! of doing the integrated is because

1: its an intensive course which i think i would need to just keep focused for the 14months or what ever it takes.
    2: Having gone to a couple of the flyer exhibitions both ireland and england ive heard talks been givin saying that most airlines would rather employ integrated students.
    3: If i was to do modular it would take longer to do because of the weather in ireland and its a longer course. You might say whats the rush, well i want to get back out working again after training.

Everything i'm saying is to the best of my knowledge and some points (hopefully not all) may be incorrect so don't slate me if i'm wrong:o

Finally i do take what ye say into consideration be ye have to understand its difficult for people like me looking to start out and every college, school we mention gets slated.Thanks again for the advise

mighty ducks the schools mentioned on this forum do most of their flight training in the USA if you want to get it done fast you can just do the ATPL ground school in oxford full time(takes about 6 months).
    after that hour building in the USA followed by CPL/MULTI then head back to the likes of bristol to do the IR which can take 2-3 months depending on weather.
    and as airvan stated earlier the only gig in town at the moment is FR the likes of BA/Virgin hire alot of the guys from the RAF,so the likes of my mates brother in law will more than likely walk into BA after he finishes his stint in the RAF(the lucky b,stad flying the euro fighter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

With the likes of FTE you can do it all in one location (no moving around) and have your CPL ME IR MCC within 14 months.
    Thats quicker than oxford....if you are in a hurry.

And the MCC is on a 737 NG btw.;)

• Advertisement

saying that most airlines would rather employ integrated students.
    That's simply not true. That is what's called marketing. It's good salesmanship to get people to believe your expensive product is the best.

Meanwhile in the real world which I and most others inhabit, only BA and Aer Lingus have shown a preference for integrated students. But it's worth pointing out that the Aer Lingus pilots have agreed to 70 redundancies today. So do you honestly think there's a job to be had there?

Quite simply there is nothing wrong with doing an integrated course as long as you realise you are paying extra money for a course which in the real world won't actually make any real difference to your prospects. Quite often the people who say integrated course graduates have an advantage came throught that system. Aer Lingus is full of pilots who never had to spend a penny to train. They haven't a clue to put it politely.

Like I said there is nothing wrong with doing an integrated course as long as you go into it with your eyes open. Don't be like some people I've seen on Prune who finish an integrated course and then complain bitterly that it's been three months and they haven't had an interview with BA. To be fair you don't sound like that but beware of marketing.

airvan wrote: »
    That's simply not true. That is what's called marketing. It's good salesmanship to get people to believe your expensive product is the best.

Meanwhile in the real world which I and most others inhabit, only BA and Aer Lingus have shown a preference for integrated students. But it's worth pointing out that the Aer Lingus pilots have agreed to 70 redundancies today. So do you honestly think there's a job to be had there?

Quite simply there is nothing wrong with doing an integrated course as long as you realise you are paying extra money for a course which in the real world won't actually make any real difference to your prospects. Quite often the people who say integrated course graduates have an advantage came throught that system. Aer Lingus is full of pilots who never had to spend a penny to train. They haven't a clue to put it politely.

Like I said there is nothing wrong with doing an integrated course as long as you go into it with your eyes open. Don't be like some people I've seen on Prune who finish an integrated course and then complain bitterly that it's been three months and they haven't had an interview with BA. To be fair you don't sound like that but beware of marketing.

+1 and another thing the course fee does not include resits of failed exams/skills test

Cheers thanks guys/girls.

Initial Class One Medical Tuesday :(:(

I hope you're good at blowing..................:o

:D
    Best of luck!

haha whys that?? :eek:

Spirometry is a Pulmonary Function Test, measuring lung function, specifically the measurement of the volume and/or speed (flow) of air that can be inhaled and exhaled.

That looks difficult :(

robfullam wrote: »
    That looks difficult :(

just take a big breath and blow for as long as you can

I'm Fasting now as its in like 12 hours :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Do you need to fast?!

Yup 12-14 hours before Did you not do a medical yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Yup 12-14 hours before Did you not do a medical yet?

Well I went to Burger King on the way to my medical and I passed :confused:

Yeah I have but dont remember fasting for the initial or any of my renewals. I suppose if they asked you then do it. Must be for the blood and urine tests.

Haha well they asked me to fast??? Is it easy to pass? I'm 18 Dont play sports but do a lot of work that involves runnin around all day ha. My BMI is about 20 as well

Haha well they asked me to fast??? Is it easy to pass? I'm 18 Dont play sports but do a lot of work that involves runnin around all day ha. My BMI is about 20 as well

i would consider my self to be very fit training since the age of 16 and i failed on the eye sight test,got a pair of specs went back a few months later and passed.
    they will give you a voucher for the canteen the breakfast is nice best of luck with the med exam let us know how you get on.:D

Fair PLAY!!! I hope i pass i'll be ragin if i dont!! Do they make ya run much?

Fair PLAY!!! I hope i pass i'll be ragin if i dont!! Do they make ya run much?

they dont make you run at all you get a chest x-ray done, audiogram, ecg full body medical(height, weight etc)actually my renewal is up next month better call phil in the aeromed to book my renewal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

they dont make you run at all you get a chest x-ray done, audiogram, ecg full body medical(height, weight etc)actually my renewal is up next month better call phil in the aeromed to book my renewal.

They do make you do a few laps of the carpark if one of your test is initially suspect.
    I think it's the ECG.

When I was in doing mine one of the other guys there was sent out for a run.
    He passed when he was retested.

• Advertisement

Oh I heard they did haha!! Phil is a legend!!

Advertisement