Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilot Training/ Class one medical

Options
  • 02-03-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking about being a pilot and training with PTC In Waterford (they do 10 out of the 14 months in Florida). I passed the skills assessment two weeks ago and had my interview and got accepted. I have my medical Next tuesday:confused::confused:

Does anyone have anything to say about this school? Good or bad??

Whats the medical like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

the class 1 medical will take about a day depending on the amount of people getting it done.they hook you up to a ecg,chest x ray hearing&eye test and a few more check out this link.
    http://www.materprivate.ie/services/specialities/aeromedical.htm

as for PTC there is a lot over on PPRNE about them and a few people including myself have been to PTC but ended up training modular.
    they charge you 100k for what is a modular course and not intergrated if you were to train modular you could do it for around 65k.
    you can then use the 30k for a TR with FR or Aer Arran dont get taken in with all the morketing:Dthese schools use slick websites to snare young people into training with them.(and dont beleive the crap about them getting you an airline interveiw).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robfullam

I got accepted into the college. The integrated course is €79500. Your guaranteed an airline interview its on my contract:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

robfullam wrote: »
    I got accepted into the college. The integrated course is €79500. Your guaranteed an airline interview its on my contract:o:o

And you fell for that? :D

Pilots with thousands of jet hours aren't able to get interviews right now.

its the morketing spin and just because you get an airline interview doesent mean your going get a job:D my mate got a job with FR and he spent 65k compared to an other guy who paid 98k.
    as i said earlier thats enough for an FR TR so who is better off the person that paid 65k(modular) or the person who paid 98k for intergrated even though its modular:rolleyes:)

Sure who is able to get a job these days??:confused:

Its what i wanna do so why not go for it? Yeah I might owe the banks 70 grand for a while but sure thats life!! I know guys and girls with masters who spent 7 years in college and trust me it costs at least 8 grand a year in college. Thats 56k. So why not go for a job as a pilot yeah its a risk but sure you won't get far with out taken any!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MightyDucks

Yeah I might owe the banks 70 grand for a while but sure thats life!!

sorry for going off topic but are the banks really giving out 70 grand loans for pilot training these days?

Well my bank is. Went to them last week about it. The college wrote a letter to them saying I have the best ability to do the course blah blah ya get what i'm saying. Basically i've just to pay the interest on the 70 grand for 18 months then when hopefully I get a job even if I start on 25k a year I can easily affford the monthly payments:D

Its what i wanna do so why not go for it? Yeah I might owe the banks 70 grand for a while but sure thats life!! I know guys and girls with masters who spent 7 years in college and trust me it costs at least 8 grand a year in college. Thats 56k. So why not go for a job as a pilot yeah its a risk but sure you won't get far with out taken any!

I never said anything about not going for it, I like most people on this forum are just like yourself and are mad into aviation and wouldn't dream of talking you out of it. I just don't want someone to go into training and expect to fall into a job at the other side of it because the flight school said so.

Right now there are no jobs out there and even if these bad times stopped tomorrow and lots of airlines started hiring again it would take a long time for them to soak up all of the 2k+ hour aptl holders without jobs before fresh out of training fAPTL holders would be looked at.
    I'm not sure if you have factored in all of the costs but doing training the integrated way and then having serious trouble getting a job at the otherside of it while being in 100k+ debt is pretty different than just having trouble finding a job.

Well my bank is. Went to them last week about it. The college wrote a letter to them saying I have the best ability to do the course blah blah ya get what i'm saying. Basically i've just to pay the interest on the 70 grand for 18 months then when hopefully I get a job even if I start on 25k a year I can easily affford the monthly payments:D

Please Please Please for your own benefit go to http://www.pprune.org/ and read absolutely everything you can. If you expect to pay interest on your loan while you train and then start on 25k a year you are going to seriously get burnt, I can't emphasize this enough. The way things are going right now it's more likely you would be paying them!!!

Here is a really informative site, read every single bit of it. It's a blog of a guy who went to PTC expecting the world too.

Thanks for that I read a lot!

What do i do though? I relly want to be a pilot:cool::confused::(

get a back up plan in place something that you could do if you ever fail the class 1 med, get a degree/trade.
    as for spending 80k to train why do that if it can be done for 65k and still have the same fATPL licence at the end of the training.

my mate did his PPL(like me) in the US he then did full time ATPL in oxford(where the instructers are ex airline training capts who know their stuff)
    after he finished the ATPL he headed back to the US for hour building CPL/MULTI.
    he completed the IR in the uk and did his MCC/JOC in dub and managed to get a job with FR all for 65k not 80/100k.

• Advertisement

DEADLY!! Pm Me and can you explain where exactly he did all that??

Thanks

Take things sloooooow.
    If you are already working a job stick with it and start your training part time or if you are just finishing school go after a back up plan like donkey balls has said. You can build up your hours without going into debt. While doing all of this keep an eye on forums like this pprune, watch for the upturn (it will come!). When Airlines start hiring again you should have plenty of hours logged and can decide then if you want to take a loan out to finish your training. But don't jump in too early as most of the early jobs will be going to out of work experienced pilots.

You won't be taking near as much from the bank at this stage. And you also stand a much better chance of not having to pay money to keep current for years without getting a job like lads finishing their training now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭airvan

Rob, good advice here. Do not rush into this. Sure you got 'accepted' into PTC, whatever that means. The test and interview process is only to eliminate the most inept students and to give the impression that you somehow have the 'right stuff'. It's more about marketing the course to impressionable young people and their parents than an actual test. Flying schools are commercial organisations not universities. Just remember that. They need your business in order to stay in business. They'll tell you anything you want to hear. Nothing wrong with PTC except they are inclined to go overboard with marketing and are expensive. Bear in mind too the many of their Instructors are waiting for the airline job too. Who do you think is going to get them first?

Here's the blog of a recent PTC graduate now back in his old job. Puts some perspective on their promise of an interview. Note that he didn't get one. Not even a Ryanair one. Your promise is not worth the paper it's written on.

http://www.pilotcourseireland.com/20501.html

Note:
    Virtually all the other lads and ladies that finished the course with PTC in 2009 are jobless.
    He could have added to that, almost everyone who graduated from all schools in 2009 are jobless and they are all ahead of you.

The rest of his website in interesting too. It details his training with PTC.

So slow it down. There is another thread on a similar theme here. Read that too. But do go and get the medical done. Another tick in the box. Another thing to bear in mind your 'guaranteed' interview might be with Aer Arann or Ryanair. Both require about €30k upfront for type training assuming you are accepted. But most applicants don't even get an interview. You'll need to factor that in any loans you might have.

There is no hurry. So make your plans and wait.

[/QUOTE]There is no hurry. So make your plans and wait.[/QUOTE]

So are ye saying to hold off on the training for a year or two or what.

Essentially if you start now aiming to finish next year, it's likely you will simply join all the others on the waiting list. A 250/300 hour pilot is virtually unemployable at the moment. If recruitment starts again the airlines will cherry pick those with higher hours and recent currency and of course those who have already flown airlines but lost their jobs recently. People churning over ratings with a few hours here and there will struggle. It could take years for any kind of consistent recruitment to begin again. The aim really is to finish training as recruitment picks up or replace Instructors as they move on to the airlines. Timing is everything.

Thanks for all your help guys. There is an option in PTC which is a 'FlyBe' Cadet ship or something? Have you ever heard of this? Seemingly if your accepted your guaranteed a job with FlyBe at the end of your training?? Could this be right?

Thanks;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Seemingly if your accepted your guaranteed a job with FlyBe at the end of your training?
    Only two things in life are guaranteed. :D

You seem in a big hurry Rob. Take it slow and easy. There is no rush, especially nowadays.

Flybe are a good option, but they only choose the best of the bunch. They have had a large holding pool for cadets for the past year. Friends of mine "selected" by Flybe who graduated last March are only beginning their type ratings now. And they are the lucky ones!

With the likes of Ryanair, expect to fork out nearly €40K when you take into account all the extra costs (accommodation, uniform, travel, meals, licence fees, headset, rent, car.....etc).

So even if you go modular, you'll still be paying over €100K.

I may check it out. I'm just doing my Leaving Cert In June and if i go to college thats gonna cost near 30grand for yrs so i dono what way to go exactly?

I decided to get a degree before I began my career in aviation. Never hurts to have a back up if flying dosent work out.

And do you have a job now with an airline?

• Advertisement

You could say that.

Ha what does that mean?? Your not flyin but....

rob did you get the pm i sent you? if your only doing the LC this year you have loads of time to train, listen to the advise of the lads here including myself i worked for one of the biggest airlines and its all got to do with timing.
    just say you fail the class 1 med and cant be a pilot what career/degree would you like to do? what ever it is do it,DONT EVER put all your eggs in the one basket.
    why not start off with the PPL and take it from there i know two LTC for an irish airline who held down full time jobs while training.

would it do any harm to train now if you are guarantied work in another job after training?or do the airlines only want guys fresh outa college?i know there are fees to be paid to keep your licence but apart from that....

Yup thanks very much for that pm. I am contemplating on what to do. I have My CAO Form filled out I Have a course in DCU Called Aviation Managment As number one so if i fail the medical i'll try that. Also when i'm 19 in november i'm invited to this assessment to try become an Air Traffic Controller

would it do any harm to train now if you are guarantied work in another job after training?or do the airlines only want guys fresh outa college?i know there are fees to be paid to keep your licence but apart from that....
    No harm training now. Flying schools are not colleges, whatever they call themselves. Fresh pilots are low time and inexperienced. Airlines prefer experienced type rated pilots. Failing that some airlines like graduates of integrated courses from certain establishments. Most simply judge the person and the experience. It isn't just about fees to be paid to keep your licence current. I would suggest that many who apply to Ryanair for example are puzzled by the lack of even an interview.

Let me give you two examples: A friend, qualified Engineer, late twenties got his licences and rating in OBA in Florida cheaply as possible. Applied to Ryanair end of 2008. Got an interview a week later and was told he was in the same day. Now based in Dublin, he flew 850 hours last year.

Another acquaintence, straight out of a full time course from a 'college'. Nothing, nil, nada. His £50 application fee was lost.

The difference? Timing for one but both my friend and I believe it was because he flying for most of the year. His CV stood out. The other guy was just renewing his licences.

One other point, my friend would have gone back to Engineering if he had missed out on the Ryanair thing, just like the guy in the blog I linked to. The other lad, well I don't know what happened to him but his only qualifications are as a pilot. So it won't be good.

There is a joke 'What do you say to a pilot with 300 hours and a CPL, Multi Ir and Frozen ATPL with MCC?

A Big Mac and fries please!'

That's the way it is sometimes.

lol:D I'm starting to think i might give the training a miss for another year and head to australia to make a few bucks.see how things are wen i get back. would you know much about oxfords integrated course?

I've the Medical Tuesday anyways i'll see how that goes then see what to do??:p

It's expensive and the graduates of the last one are in the same dole queue as the the guys who trained somewhere cheaper.

• Advertisement

airvan wrote: »
    It's expensive and the graduates of the last one are in the same dole queue as the the guys who trained somewhere cheaper.

Ya but when the airlines do get around to hiring them would they go for oxford students than other?

Advertisement